• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
(._.) said:
I'm trading off all the hats I don't use. Realized all this shit is garbage and I want to just refine my collection to rare hats and ones I like.
Yep, I traded some random heavy hat for paint because I wanted to paint my Woopee Cap yellow.

The guy thought he ripped me off. I really didn't need the hat, and I wanted the paint.

It's so nice being liberated from the crazy trading game. When the MNC stuff gets paintable, I'll have to play the trading game again to get some Team Spirit. Oh well...

Dug

Banned
Drkirby said:
I have more then enough hats, and there is nothing I really want, so I just keep my collection of 30+ hats.
eC72T.gif

Yeef

I thought "30+" hats sounded like a lot, but then I counted mine and I have 34.

i guess I just sort of forget the hats I don't like exist. Of the ones I have I only actually like about 10~12 of them and only REALLY like made 3 or 4 of them.

I suppose it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of ANY Heavy, Demo and Sniper hats (other than Sniper hatless and Heavy Duty Rag) and I have pretty much every all class hat that I like.

I do have a severe lack of Engineer hats though...

It happened again, most of my headshots were missing, I should have killed Javaman like a total of 10 times at least. Hell even my bodyshots weren't hitting!

I did have a good run as a demo on 5gorge though.

0EGV0.jpg

EtfCw.jpg

Edit: I really liked Cashworks, first time I played it. Nice Spy hiding spots :D

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't played Cashworks in a while, but I seem to recall it being potentially quite fun as a spy. I hate playing defense since there's such a long distance to run though, past the first point or so. You can do the same sort of thing to cripple the offense. As a cloak and dagger spy, wait until they stop guarding their final spawn's teleporter, take it out, run away and hide while they uselessly chase you, repeat etc. Unless someone is dedicated and takes you out, you can harass, plus all the ledges you can drop off onto people's backs.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
balladofwindfishes said:
When the MNC stuff gets paintable, I'll have to play the trading game again to get some Team Spirit. Oh well...

You still can't? Damn it, I want my Pokemon Trainer / Terry Bogard hat.

terry-k2000.gif

OKAY!

Jeo said:
Hey Gaf, after a 3 month break I think im ready to get back into the game.
And apparently I can get rid of hats now =D
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683132
Thank you steam forums

I've spent about an hour trading my old stuff for the latest weapons but im still missing a few:
Sticky jumper, Warriors spirit, crusadors crossbow, and the rift items. Anything on page 4, message me =)

What would you want for the Trophy belt? I just made the Rift Axe today and wouldn't mind parting with it along with other a few other items.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
2d0gxg4.jpg

Now it looks like I have an eye to go with the skull. Thanks Jeo, have fun with the new weapons that I never really had a chance to use lol.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
snack said:
Anyone here trading their v. Demo Fro?
I have a normal Demo Fro that I don't really use.

I need a Rimmed Rain catcher, has to be my favorite demoman hat. Maybe the Tricone would look better painted a different color.

At this rate, we're going need an option for "paint 1" and "paint 2" on some hats. Like the Larrikin Robin for example:
95px-RED_Larrikin_Robin.png

Do you paint just the feather like the team colors do? Or do you paint the hat, but still have red and blue team colors? The skull above is another one, what they did with the paint was clever, but I'm sure some people want to paint the main body of the hat too.

I mean, I doubt Valve's going to complain about people demanding even more paint from the store and trades...

Oh, and hats: (Sorry, a bit huge)
TF2HatCollection.png

Traded my Vintage Fro recently, so that's why the Towering Pillar is out of place. I had to part with my Sam & Max stuff not long ago (none of the hats here are from that), but I still have it in the beta, which is nice at least. A memory of a hat since passed. :p

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
First time playing 5gorge last night, no sir, I don't like it. 40 minute walk to the front only to get sniped in the head by that NexFrost guy. Seriously who was that. Ban him.

Also sorry for stealing your metal whoever that was.
*me standing on ammo box so I can spam*
Hey Borgnine let me get some metal
Huh? Oh sorry *jumps down, lands on sticky, is catapulted upwards, lands on metal*
DAMN IT BORGNINE

Blizzard

Banned
Borgnine said:
First time playing 5gorge last night, no sir, I don't like it. 40 minute walk to the front only to get sniped in the head by that NexFrost guy. Seriously who was that. Ban him.
This is my complaint about all 5-point maps. I forget how long it takes for a heavy to get from the back spawn to the middle point on 5gorge, but I feel like it's 40-60 seconds. Might be better now that the heavy has the sandvich or running gloves. Add on potential spawn times, and since it's a 5-point map presumably no one will have teleporters reliably outside where you actually spawn, and there's a looooot of travel time unless you're a scout.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely hate the way the paint is done on the Pyromancer. Felt like I wasted paint.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
This is my complaint about all 5-point maps. I forget how long it takes for a heavy to get from the back spawn to the middle point on 5gorge, but I feel like it's 40-60 seconds. Might be better now that the heavy has the sandvich or running gloves. Add on potential spawn times, and since it's a 5-point map presumably no one will have teleporters reliably outside where you actually spawn, and there's a looooot of travel time unless you're a scout.
That's why heavy is defined as a "Defensive" class. You're not supposed to rush to the front lines, you're supposed to protect the points you already own and let the scouts and other faster classes push forward.

So I just spent a good part of my afternoon trade server hopping, looking for the Big Kill. I kept running into 2 reoccurring things:

-No one on the server has one to trade.

-If you find someone who wants to trade one, they want crazy amounts of shit for it.

Makes me sad...

One time I put up 3 hats. One was vintage and got, "lulz how is dat evn a gud trade?!" *closes trade*

Like, seriously? :( I don't even want to go above 2 hats. Maybe I should just buy 10 copies of TF2 next time there's a Steam sale and idle on them.

Maybe then I wouldn't care that much about trading 9+ hats for an item, because that's what everyone seems to want.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
ArtistDude88 said:
So I just spent a good part of my afternoon trade server hopping, looking for the Big Kill. I kept running into 2 reoccurring things:

-If you find someone who wants to trade one, they want crazy amounts of shit for it.

Makes me sad...

One time I put up 3 hats. One was vintage and got, "lulz how is dat evn a gud trade?!" *closes trade*

Like, seriously? :( I don't even want to go above 2 hats. Maybe I should just buy 10 copies of TF2 next time there's a Steam sale and idle on them.

Maybe then I wouldn't care that much about trading 9+ hats for an item, because that's what everyone seems to want.

Been down that road many times.

Javaman

ArtistDude88 said:

Makes me sad...

Wasn't TF2 $5 at one point? A hand full of tf2/steam accounts would cost far less then some of the outrageous prices on Manco.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
That's why heavy is defined as a "Defensive" class. You're not supposed to rush to the front lines, you're supposed to protect the points you already own and let the scouts and other faster classes push forward.
Heavies should be faster than anyone else, and preferably invincible. Scouts are the worst. My gun should have auto-aim when any scouts (especially named Yeef) come around. :( At any rate, even if you're a normal speed class, it still takes a long time to get to the front. Borgnine wasn't talking heavy, was he?

Drkirby said:
It is also what Teleporters are for.
I explicitly mentioned why teleporters don't really help in my opinion, in that post. :p Since spawns bounce back and forth, unless you have 2-3 engineers, it seems that you are unlikely to have a teleporter entrance and exit where you need them.

ArtistDude88 said:

Sorry man, but the Sam & Max items are notoriously pricey. Let's put it this way, people routinely pay $30 for Big Kills because of the rarity of the Sam & Max set, and you can't even get a NV one via Poker Night like you can a Lugermorph. (Technically they're all NV.)

Pretty much the most in-demand, rarest Vintage hats scrounge to hit $10 apiece.

So if you want a Big Kill, yeah, you're going to have to put some serious items up for trade. Your Stainless Pot is Level 100, so that's a good start. Your Vintage Fedora, or your Detective Noir if you don't want to part with that. Also, your Milkman and V. Professional's Panama have doubled number levels, that helps their value, but I don't think people care about the Panama that much. Still, if you threw, say your Pot, your Panama, and your Noir into a trade, you might get one.

It helps if you post up on TF2TP too, and be patient, sometimes people will trade for less if the right hat is involved. Like I said, that Stainless Pot Level 100 is a solid start, in fact you might even just stick that up on TF2TP and see what offers you get.

Oreoleo

So since we're all talking about hats and stuff, I crafted a spare Fez last night, if anyone needs one I wouldn't mind trading it for a Pyro hat. Maybe something else, I can be persuaded. A new heavy or medic hat perhaps..

Anyone?

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Heavies should be faster than anyone else, and preferably invincible. Scouts are the worst. My gun should have auto-aim when any scouts (especially named Yeef) come around. :( At any rate, even if you're a normal speed class, it still takes a long time to get to the front. Borgnine wasn't talking heavy, was he?

I explicitly mentioned why teleporters don't really help in my opinion, in that post. :p Since spawns bounce back and forth, unless you have 2-3 engineers, it seems that you are unlikely to have a teleporter entrance and exit where you need them.

Spawns shouldn't bounce back and forth TOO much on a large map like 5gorge. Teleporters are so absolutely critical on those maps that engs should focus on those before any sentry guns. The annoying thing about heavies running long range is that it also opens them up to one hit annoyances like spies and snipers. Sucks when you run for a minute just to insta die before you even reach the frontlines.

Kulock said:
Sorry man, but the Sam & Max items are notoriously pricey. Let's put it this way, people routinely pay $30 for Big Kills because of the rarity of the Sam & Max set, and you can't even get a NV one via Poker Night like you can a Lugermorph. (Technically they're all NV.)

Pretty much the most in-demand, rarest Vintage hats scrounge to hit $10 apiece.

So if you want a Big Kill, yeah, you're going to have to put some serious items up for trade. Your Stainless Pot is Level 100, so that's a good start. Your Vintage Fedora, or your Detective Noir if you don't want to part with that. Also, your Milkman and V. Professional's Panama have doubled number levels, that helps their value, but I don't think people care about the Panama that much. Still, if you threw, say your Pot, your Panama, and your Noir into a trade, you might get one.

It helps if you post up on TF2TP too, and be patient, sometimes people will trade for less if the right hat is involved. Like I said, that Stainless Pot Level 100 is a solid start, in fact you might even just stick that up on TF2TP and see what offers you get.

But I like all those hats you mentioned :( Except Milkman. Wish I never bought it.

Javaman said:
Spawns shouldn't bounce back and forth TOO much on a large map like 5gorge. Teleporters are so absolutely critical on those maps that engs should focus on those before any sentry guns. The annoying thing about heavies running long range is that it also opens them up to one hit annoyances like spies and snipers. Sucks when you run for a minute just to insta die before you even reach the frontlines.

I absolutely hate playing Engy on maps like Fastlane and Badlands or any other multiple CP map that moves spawn as you capture/lose a point.

Also, it sucks running to the point, turning the corner and getting an arrow/crit nade/crocket in your face :(

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
Heavies should be faster than anyone else, and preferably invincible. Scouts are the worst. My gun should have auto-aim when any scouts (especially named Yeef) come around. :(

I love killing heavies as a scout. So rewarding. Yeef is a beast as scout. Accidante and Wartime are other favorites that I've seen, sorry to anyone else I didn't mention :(

I agree about how the spawn doors jump around so much. Engineering on 5-point maps takes a lot of patience and skill. Plus, having 2-3 engineers on 12-man teams just doesn't make sense. It'd be nice if they did it like they do with like the 3rd stage of Goldrush where they have the closer door, but it closes once one point is capped or it would re-open when you re-capture it. That way an engineer can focus his teleporter outside of one spawn. I don't know, something like that though

Blizzard

Banned
I believe people have suggested some sort of teleporter "pad" where you could place teleporters in a certain region, and they would move forwards or backwards along with the spawn. *shrug*

Dante23

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has more than one Cloak and Dagger, and if so, do you want to trade? I can offer 2 or 3 Mann Co. Supply Crates if you like those. Or tell me in what are you interested, to see if I have one to offer.

Dante23 said:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has more than one Cloak and Dagger, and if so, do you want to trade? I can offer 2 or 3 Mann Co. Supply Crates if you like those. Or tell me in what are you interested, to see if I have one to offer.

I have one... Have a spare Axtinguisher, Mad Milk, or Eyelander? :)

Dante23

ArtistDude88 said:
I have one... Have a spare Axtinguisher, Mad Milk, or Eyelander? :)

Damn, I had just minutes ago an extra Axtinguisher :(

I think that I have an spare Eyelander, let me check!

EDIT: Yep, one spare Eyelander :)

EDIT2: Now what are the next steps? do we have to find in any particular server? This would be my very first trade so I'm pretty much clueless.

Proven

Yeef said:

I hate this argument because of the Demoman, but at the same time, the Demoman ruins most analysis.

I also hate this argument because of the Pyro, who generally has to play either defensive/pocket, or ambush like a Spy/Scout unless an Uber is given to him. Maybe things will change once the Detonator becomes official, allowing him to be more Scout than Spy.

My main beef with all of this is simply that the Heavy on push and payload maps often becomes the center point of the team. He's your cornerstone. When you're rushing into last point and the Soldiers jump, the Scouts go to flank, the Heavy is there giving the base damage output and cover fire. When you're playing defense on A/D, he's jumping in front of his teammates to take the brunt of an upcoming offense.

The game is often about gathering people around certain points on a map. The release of Payload especially showed this. Outside of Medics, when a good Heavy hits a server, he's the only other class that gains people around him, pushing with him, becoming a unit. He's a focal point of many a team in a way no other class can do like him, with the closest being Soldiers.

This is why I was happy to see the GRU get implemented. In my small amount of experience since it's been released (thanks to the whole not playing and everything), it sped up games. Teams could move from battle to battle much faster.

He had enough of a weakness from just being vulnerable to assassinations and surprise 1on1 picks. The other beauty of the class design was how much he also needed the team to help him in order for him to help them. You could also say he at least gave another high priority target for the assassination classes besides the Medic and at times the Engineer and Sniper.

Also, whenever I do get back to playing again, I'm going to need a Conch ASAP.

Dante23 said:
Damn, I had just minutes ago an extra Axtinguisher :(

I think that I have an spare Eyelander, let me check!

EDIT: Yep, one spare Eyelander :)

EDIT2: Now what are the next steps? do we have to find in any particular server? This would be my very first trade so I'm pretty much clueless.

Want to join the GAF server and trade?
EDIT: 174.143.208.222:27015

On another note... Anyone else think we need a new way to sort our backpacks? I've been dicking around in photoshop and made this:

Click for larger pic...

I was thinking of tabs for each class...

balladofwindfishes said:
There are currently 292 Monarchs. That's 29,200 dollars in just Monarch hats.

The TF2 community is awesome
Why do I have the feeling there would quite a few even if they weren't for donations?

Edit: Wtf is this? Team Fortress Animu version? They even have a minigun just like the Heavy lol.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Sgt.Pepper said:
Edit: Wtf is this? Team Fortress Animu version? They even have a minigun just like the Heavy lol.

Eh, it's TF2 Anime only if Monday Night Combat is TF2 in the future. The fact you carry a rocket launcher and sniper rifle at the same time means the dynamics are probably totally different.

Though I'd rather more TF2-style games than more CoD-style games any day.

Yeef

Proven said:
I hate this argument because of the Demoman, but at the same time, the Demoman ruins most analysis.
Demoman has been nerfed quite a bit and is still overpowered.

I also hate this argument because of the Pyro, who generally has to play either defensive/pocket, or ambush like a Spy/Scout unless an Uber is given to him. Maybe things will change once the Detonator becomes official, allowing him to be more Scout than Spy.
That's because they neutered the pyro. At launch the standard flamethrower did more damage than the current backburner does and there were far fewer ways to get rid of afterburn. The pyro did get the airblast in exchange for its big damage nerf, but since the airblast is hugely effected by latency it's a bit of a crap shoot. Since the airblast is reactionary your timing has to change based on your ping, which generally means you have to more of less guess when your opponent is going to shoot/throw something at you unless you're at long range. That's a whole different discussion though.

My main beef with all of this is simply that the Heavy on push and payload maps often becomes the center point of the team. He's your cornerstone. When you're rushing into last point and the Soldiers jump, the Scouts go to flank, the Heavy is there giving the base damage output and cover fire. When you're playing defense on A/D, he's jumping in front of his teammates to take the brunt of an upcoming offense.
But at launch there were no payload maps and only 1 push map (dustbowl, which is an awful map). The game is very much designed around the symmetrical game types (ctf, 5cp) when it comes to classifying the classes. Obviously the game has changed a lot since then, but I think it's important to keep the class roles to their original classifications to maintain balance.

The game is often about gathering people around certain points on a map. The release of Payload especially showed this. Outside of Medics, when a good Heavy hits a server, he's the only other class that gains people around him, pushing with him, becoming a unit. He's a focal point of many a team in a way no other class can do like him, with the closest being Soldiers.
That's true of payload, but only because the cart works as a moving dispenser which means Heavies can stay spun up and not worry much about health or ammo. In non-payload game types heavy is all about find a choke point and holding it, not advancing. In an evenly matched game you're not going to have heavies being the first to push a point or capping the intel.

This is why I was happy to see the GRU get implemented. In my small amount of experience since it's been released (thanks to the whole not playing and everything), it sped up games. Teams could move from battle to battle much faster.
I've already expressed my dislike of the GRU and the Fists of Steel. Suffice to say, I completely disagree, I think they very much hurt game balance. I don't see how they 'speed up the game' since all they do is make the heavies faster. Demos and spies are better at taking out sentry nests and in general on non-payload maps heavies aren't nearly as necessary for pushes.

You could also say he at least gave another high priority target for the assassination classes besides the Medic and at times the Engineer and Sniper.
Which is why I don't like the fists of steel. The sniper rifle is balanced in such a way that it can 1-shot any class if your aim is true and you wait for the charge. With the fists of steel that means it's possible to spot and non-ubered enemy that can't be killed. It sets the Heavy up in such a way that the only class he has to worry about while he's traveling is spy. Any other class will have to get in close to melee where the heavy can immediately do a bait and switch and deal his insanely high close range minigun damage. Basically, I feel like the Heavy used to be a high risk high reward class, but now it feels more like a low risk high reward class.

Charron said:
Eh, it's TF2 Anime only if Monday Night Combat is TF2 in the future. The fact you carry a rocket launcher and sniper rifle at the same time means the dynamics are probably totally different.

Though I'd rather more TF2-style games than more CoD-style games any day.
I haven't followed the development of Toy Wars very much, but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it up a lot. It got tons of flak for being a TF2 rip-off when the trailer first released like 2 or 3 years ago. I think it's less about the class-specific roles and more about the weapon choices and how they handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom