• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I haven't played TF2 for ages. Today i wanted to play it. Clicked the desktop shortcut and it tells me i need to install the game, but it's already installed. Now it says i need to download shit and im ready in about 2 hours. Anyone know what the fuck is going on?

Oreoleo

Sn4ke_911 said:
I haven't played TF2 for ages. Today i wanted to play it. Clicked the desktop shortcut and it tells me i need to install the game, but it's already installed. Now it says i need to download shit and im ready in about 2 hours. Anyone know what the fuck is going on?

Do you have automatic updates disabled?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Orellio said:
Do you have automatic updates disabled?

No. Always keep this game up to date.

Edit: Nvm, i think im a few patches behind and need to upgrade the game. Anyway thanks for your help Orellio.

Going to take forever to get 1 million fire damage!! :(

I have a sudden urge to finish off my remaining achievements, and it looks like I'll be playing Pyro for a while lol.

Dug

Banned
New blog post:

Hats For Help
March 29, 2011 - TF2 Team

Wow. Seriously, people, WOW. We knew you had it in you, but we're still amazed you've raised over $300,000 so far.

Take a BOW, TF2 community -- because that is an incredible, frankly astounding, amount of money from a dedicated number of gamers, to one heck of a lot of people in some real need right now. Anytime someone gives you guff about something negative in gaming, you go ahead and point them to this post, because here's some late-breaking damn news: they are wrong and gamers are generous and awesome.

Thanks again, and don't forget, these items are available until April 6.

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
Going to take forever to get 1 million fire damage!! :(

I have a sudden urge to finish off my remaining achievements, and it looks like I'll be playing Pyro for a while lol.
It doesn't help that the axstinguisher is the most reliable way to do lots of damage as Pyro. I feel like kills with the ax should count as fire damage :mad:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
And that Degreaser + Shotgun is my favorite combo. I think if I am still playing this game in a year from now I will finally get that Achievement.

Getting pretty close to 1000 Backstabs/1000 Sapped buildings as a Spy though.

Yeef

Made some changes to the server to hopefully reduce the number of steamrolls along with some other small tweaks.

• Upped the "Waiting for players" time to 30 seconds (I think the default is 20).
  • Increased the vote time to 45 seconds (I had it set to that already, but apparently some other config file was resetting it to 20).
  • Edited the arena config file so that the once in a blue moon we play arena maps the limit is 5 rounds instead of 2.
  • Edited the scramble settings:
    • Now the game will auto-scramble at the end of "Waiting for players."
    • Medics will get full uber after a scramble during setup time (this was already the case, but just thought I'd mention it).
    • When the game senses a bunch of different imbalances it'll automatically trigger a scramble vote at the end of that round.

I think 3 rounds of arena is much better than 5, since many of us don't like arena and 3 rounds is shorter and you will win with 2 rounds.

So when/if they make the Larrikin paintable...

Am I going to be the only one who gets some slate paint and a name tag and make myself "King Graham's Cap" ? I really, really pray other people would get the reference...

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Yeef said:
Made some changes to the server to hopefully reduce the number of steamrolls along with some other small tweaks.

• Upped the "Waiting for players" time to 30 seconds (I think the default is 20).
  • Increased the vote time to 45 seconds (I had it set to that already, but apparently some other config file was resetting it to 20).
  • Edited the arena config file so that the once in a blue moon we play arena maps the limit is 5 rounds instead of 2.
    • Medics will get full uber after a scramble during setup time (this was already the case, but just thought I'd mention it).
    • When the game senses a bunch of different imbalances it'll automatically trigger a scramble vote at the end of that round.

Those changes sound good Yeef. I feel like some arena rounds here and there would be fun, and 5 rounds shouldn't take too long (unless we have 2 cloaked spies just running around). Hopefully the scrambling and such will help balance the games out more in the future.

Sadly, I probably won't be on for a good while :(

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:

Sounds reasonable, but when there are just two rounds, won't people (me) rage anyway when they have to play defense the second time, and/or the scramble leaves teams mostly the same?

*edit* The way I saw it happen tonight was, first round one team has much higher score and wins, second round starts, vote asks if people want to scramble at the end of the round (i.e. at the end of the map), so it would never work in that fashion as far as I can tell.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Now the game will auto-scramble at the end of "Waiting for players."
So wait, it will always scramble at the map start now?

Also, could you make KOTH 3 rounds? I tend to like it when there is a Clear Cut winner on that, and not 1/1

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Sounds reasonable, but when there are just two rounds, won't people (me) rage anyway when they have to play defense the second time, and/or the scramble leaves teams mostly the same?

*edit* The way I saw it happen tonight was, first round one team has much higher score and wins, second round starts, vote asks if people want to scramble at the end of the round (i.e. at the end of the map), so it would never work in that fashion as far as I can tell.
It autoscrambles at the start of the map, not the start of the round. Right now I have it set to random, but Kirby keeps bugging me to enable stats tracking if I do there's a setting to have it scramble based on lifetime stats. Alas, I am lazy (also, Remy would have to put the plugin on the server).

The way the scramble vote is supposed to work is: if one team rolls the other there's a vote to scramble right away, but some some reason it didn't do it that way. I'll have to look into that. Oddly enough it worked as intended during arena_nucleus, but not on any of the payload maps.

That said, I do feel like it helped with the rolls slightly tonight, but maybe it's just a placebo effect. My one big beef with it, though, is that it gives medics uber on maps with no setup time (like king of the hill and most 5 cp maps). I didn't see any way to disable that without completely getting rid of the instant-uber though.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I think 3 rounds of arena is much better than 5, since many of us don't like arena and 3 rounds is shorter and you will win with 2 rounds.
I picked 5 because five is really short. 3, I think, is too short. When it was at two there were tons of times where the match would end before people even finished connecting. With the way Arena works if you connect in the middle of the third round you still won't get to play.

As far as no one liking arena: if enough people like it for it to win the map vote I don't think it's an issue. Even at 5 rounds arena maps last maybe a quarter of a single round on other maps.

Forkball

Yeah, I don't like the random scrambles at the start of a map. What's the point of picking random teams, which I bet most people do? I also don't like the idea of scrambling be based on lifetime stats. That means some GAFfers will never be teamed up with certain players. And what if you're lifetime stats are really good, but you're just having a bad night? You would be paired with players who are also bad. Honestly, any team can beat any team given the right situations. I think this recent concern with stacks is just an anomaly. Rolls are going to happen no matter what, especially since Clivefrog uses Aimbot.

Arena is a good change of pace, and it doesn't take a long time. I think five rounds is good for now, it's long enough so everyone get's to play, but short enough to prevent rage quits. Ban Heavies from Arena though.

Clydefrog

I agree, Yeef needs to take off this random scramble at the beginning. He also needs to stop playing entire songs on his mic. I can keep using aimbot though.

Oreoleo

The new arena settings are cool, but I agree the auto-scramble needs to be turned off. For me it's not even about the players I just usually like to pick offense/defense based on the map and it sucks getting switched for no reason :(

Yeef

Forkball said:
Yeah, I don't like the random scrambles at the start of a map. What's the point of picking random teams, which I bet most people do?
The problem is that 'random' just puts you on blue 2/3rds of the time. It doesn't sound bad in theory, but in practice it ends up with blue being stacked a lot of the time and then when everyone realizes the teams are stacked no one wants to switch.

I also don't like the idea of scrambling be based on lifetime stats. That means some GAFfers will never be teamed up with certain players. And what if you're lifetime stats are really good, but you're just having a bad night? You would be paired with players who are also bad. Honestly, any team can beat any team given the right situations. I think this recent concern with stacks is just an anomaly. Rolls are going to happen no matter what, especially since Clivefrog uses Aimbot.
Well, there have been plenty of times where rolls were obviously based on a bad mix of classes, but there have also been lots and lots of times where the teams were just plain stacked. To me (and plenty of others, I'm sure) rolls aren't fun from either side. When the teams are as close to equilibrium as possible is when the game is the most fun.

As for lifetime stats scrambles: I don't like the idea of keeping track of stats at all, it's just an option. The scramble plugin has lots of different ways to determine the scramble (including class diversity). The problem is most of them are based on points and Kill:Death ratio and other things that are useless at the beginning of a map.

Clydefrog said:
I agree, Yeef needs to take off this random scramble at the beginning. He also needs to stop playing entire songs on his mic. I can keep using aimbot though.
I only play songs when requested! Blame ArtistDude for requesting the songs! I don't even load up HLDJ when I play TF2. When people ask me to play music I have to start it up and the re-run autoexec.cfg just to oblige.

Orellio said:
The new arena settings are cool, but I agree the auto-scramble needs to be turned off. For me it's not even about the players I just usually like to pick offense/defense based on the map and it sucks getting switched for no reason :(
I'm guilty of this as well. I generally prefer attacking to defending so sometimes I'll pick blue instead of random. I think that happens with a lot of people though and that's what leads to the stacks.

Oreoleo

Yeef said:
I'm guilty of this as well. I generally prefer attacking to defending so sometimes I'll pick blue instead of random. I think that happens with a lot of people though and that's what leads to the stacks.

Funny thing for me is I usually prefer to defend so more often than not on the GAF server I end up on the wrong side of a stack cause everyone likes to go Blue :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would rather not have stats actually used for scrambling, I just tend to have a good laugh at them. "Your Kill Death Ratio is .1, you are ranked 297/296 on this server"

Now, if you can get it to do awesome stuff like keep track of how often weapons are used, how much damage total from a certain weapon, ect, that would be great. You don't get good weapon stats to often.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you can get some really detailed stats, it would be really great. I would love to know who I kill the most/who kills me the most, which classes I die from most when I am play class X, ect.

commissar

If not for identifying friends/spies/team balance/class distribution I would have the scoreboard disabled.

Less stats more shootin :3

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So does anyone have any experience/knowledge about selling items? I'm becoming bored with the Sam & Max set, and they're apparently worth a hundred some dollars, and I could use a hundred some dollars... Just wondering if anyone knows stuff about that side of the item game. What do I do to make it go well, are there any banning concerns (I know selling Steam accounts is a no-no), and so forth.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Orellio said:
Funny thing for me is I usually prefer to defend so more often than not on the GAF server I end up on the wrong side of a stack cause everyone likes to go Blue :p

I'm with you Oreo. I actually prefer defending over attacking

Engie is my most played and probably my fav class so I like to defend as well. Most ppl do like offense though. It's funny because it reflects in the game, as most people do not know how to defend.

Clydefrog

I like attacking on payload maps because the cart is a source of HP/ammo I constantly use

but I ALWAYS random so it doesn't matter to me

Dislike the autoscramble- sometimes I like having my newb TF2 friends join me in a game and I like to give em tips or pocket medic them to help them learn the game. Wish there was a way to group with them so we wouldn't get split up during a scramble.

Blizzard

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
Dislike the autoscramble- sometimes I like having my newb TF2 friends join me in a game and I like to give em tips or pocket medic them to help them learn the game. Wish there was a way to group with them so we wouldn't get split up during a scramble.
Scrambling is hilarious when people try to stack with their clans/friends and they get shuffled right before the round starts.

Of course, we don't have clans or friends so we all just try to join Java's team instead and it has the same effect. ;_;

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
What I do is join and see how the teams look, and see where Java is. I'll try and pick the opposite team because a Java-Borgnine combo just isn't fair to the other team. But then I see that Artistdude is now on the other team so I'm like fuck that I'm not getting backstabbed the whole round, so then I'll join the other team. But then I see that Silencer Lang is now on the other team so I'm like oh hell no I'm not going to just get fucking head-shotted the whole round, so then I just give up and hit random.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like Black Box Defense/Normal Rocket Launcher Offense, but I rarely remember to switch. Solider is a class I like to switch up the layout a bit more then others, but often forget to do it. The Conch is a fairly nice backpack, due to its fast charging, though I will take the Shotgun if player count is low. On attack, I will usually take the pain train. Double Cap speed far out ways extra bullet damage IMO.

Black Box is meh. Whenever I see someone use it I take a mental note to dominate him/her for using a downgrade. Losing a rocket doesn't justify +15HP/hit. Even if you can hit with 100% accuracy you'd be better off with Direct Hit rather than Black Box.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Black box is good in spots you can't get a medic. Like Gorge, when you are on Red you can get on the top of the shipping containers by Blue spawn and annoy the enemies for a while before they will notice just where the rockets are coming from. Sometimes they notice and get some shots in, but he Black box (And small health pick up) heal that up. Most of the time I will run out of ammo before they kill me.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Clydefrog said:
Borgnine's one of the few soldiers that does not use the Black Box. For that I commend him.

I don't have one. :(

I've been crafting all my extra weapons in to metal thinking I'd eventually get a Black Box drop but I never have. I really want to try one out though, I think it might really help me out in the close game where I tend to blow myself up a lot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Next time I find one, I'll be sure to ask if you got one yet. You need to bring up these sorts of things...

And on that note, does anyone have an extra Loch-N-Load? I'll likely not use it for 2 years, but it is the only weapon in the game I don't have.

And how the hell do you get a Sentry up there in Gold Rush?? We failed due to our lack of Medic, I didn't notice until the last minute >_>

Sgt.Pepper said:
And how the hell do you get a Sentry up there is Gold Rush?? We failed due to our lack of Medic, I didn't notice until the last minute >_>
Are you referring to the tiny balcony by the end of stage 1? It requires a very precise jump on a dispenser you build on the edge.

Oreoleo

After getting so used to the heavy's sandwich, it's really hard to go back to soldier/demo and not have a go-to means of healing yourself. At least demos get first priority with medics most of the time, soldiers are not always so fortunate, that's why I use the black box. And honestly I have been noticing it getting me out of some jams where I otherwise would have died lately. Losing one rocket isn't that big of a deal if your aim is good and you use your shotgun as secondary instead of buff banner or whatever.

Edit: damn this thread is blowing up for being 3pm on a Wednesday.

Blizzard

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
Black Box is meh. Whenever I see someone use it I take a mental note to dominate him/her for using a downgrade. Losing a rocket doesn't justify +15HP/hit. Even if you can hit with 100% accuracy you'd be better off with Direct Hit rather than Black Box.
When I play heavy I love seeing black box soldiers, since if I run into one at midrange and I actually manage to have reasonable accuracy, they either need to be 100% accurate or use one of their rockets to run away. Otherwise, if I can manage to absorb/dodge/lessen the damage of at least one rocket, I eat the other two and they reload (i.e. they are dead).

Of course, this is because most soldiers fortunately don't seem to use the shotgun. It's like shotgun pyros. Those things are so annoying. You're all, I'm out of range of this pyro, and the pyro is all, click click bullets, click click bullets. :(

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
When I play heavy I love seeing black box soldiers, since if I run into one at midrange and I actually manage to have reasonable accuracy, they either need to be 100% accurate or use one of their rockets to run away. Otherwise, if I can manage to absorb/dodge/lessen the damage of at least one rocket, I eat the other two and they reload (i.e. they are dead).

Of course, this is because most soldiers fortunately don't seem to use the shotgun. It's like shotgun pyros. Those things are so annoying. You're all, I'm out of range of this pyro, and the pyro is all, click click bullets, click click bullets. :(

Interesting that your experience is soldiers using a rocket to get away Blizzard. If a heavy gets the drop on me I just pull out my Equalizer and about half the time I get away :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom