• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Clydefrog said:
Borgnine's one of the few soldiers that does not use the Black Box. For that I commend him.
I don't use the Black Box. I prefer the regular rocket launcher or the direct hit to it. Since I use the Shotgun the tradeoff doesn't seem worth it to me. If I were using the Backup or the Conch I could see how it might be helpful though.

Sgt.Pepper said:
And how the hell do you get a Sentry up there in Gold Rush?? We failed due to our lack of Medic, I didn't notice until the last minute >_>
Rocket jump using the wrangler. I have mixed feelings on that. With the addition of wrangler jumping there's tons of places on various maps where you can get sentry guns that aren't designed for them and it's nearly impossible to get rid of them when there's a really good engineer on it.

Wolf Akela said:
Are you referring to the tiny balcony by the end of stage 1? It requires a very precise jump on a dispenser you build on the edge.
Above the first point of stage 3.

Javaman

Yeef said:
Rocket jump using the wrangler. I have mixed feelings on that. With the addition of wrangler jumping there's tons of places on various maps where you can get sentry guns that aren't designed for them and it's nearly impossible to get rid of them when there's a really good engineer on it.

Lemmiller is a pro at this. His signature move is building a level 3 sentry ON CP E at the beginning on the round while on blue.

Yeef

Javaman said:
Lemmiller is a pro at this. His signature move is building a level 3 sentry ON CP E at the beginning on the round while on blue.
Yeah. He doesn't play on the GAF server much these days (he's usually on the GG server), but anytime I realize he's joined and on the opposite team I try to warn people and keep an eye out for his sneaky ways. When he IS on my team though I usually go out of my way to protect him while he gets set up. ;)

Clydefrog

Sometimes I feel bad killing a newbie engineer right after he has his stuff set up. He’s finally like, “allright! Time for some kills!” and then I arrow him in the face and proceed to arrow his sentry gun, dispenser, and teleporter. I know that stuff takes time to set up. Sorry man :(

Yeef

Clydefrog said:
Sometimes I feel bad killing a newbie engineer right after he has his stuff set up. He’s finally like, “allright! Time for some kills!” and then I arrow him in the face and proceed to arrow his sentry gun, dispenser, and teleporter. I know that stuff takes time to set up. Sorry man :(
Engineers need to watch their own stuff, yes, but there's nothing more annoying than playing an Engineer, having your stuff being killed/sapped/whatever and getting absolutely no help when you ask for it. It's equally as frustrating playing medic and warning the people you're healing about incoming threats and having them ignore your warnings.

I really need to use my mic. I have it connected but pressing the key to talk can mess me up (my keyboard skills are AWFUL). And some of you have helped by warning me through mic, so I know its importance, but...ugh! I really hate talking <_<

I suppose I'll have to learn eventually, though. I'll make an effort next time I join.

Proven

dragonlife29 said:
I really need to use my mic. I have it connected but pressing the key to talk can mess me up (my keyboard skills are AWFUL). And some of you have helped by warning me through mic, so I know its importance, but...ugh! I really hate talking <_<

I suppose I'll have to learn eventually, though. I'll make an effort next time I join.

Don't worry, my keyboard skills are probably worse. I only got marginally ok at hitting 'v' because I play Medic so much, but now with every other game, including L4D, I have to change the keys around or else I'll end up falling off a cliff just to say "pills here!"

Also, I moved crouch to shift. Hitting that left ctrl feels so damn unnatural.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:
Interesting that your experience is soldiers using a rocket to get away Blizzard. If a heavy gets the drop on me I just pull out my Equalizer and about half the time I get away :p
Only because Natascha was nerfed so much. QQ

Maybe I'm just imagining it. At any rate, I am assuming it's because they're not good soldiers. If they were good soldiers they could switch to the shotgun and kill me, or do 100% hax headshots with their 3 rockets to kill me, etc. If they switch to the equalizer but started the encounter with full health, then it may still be too much time before the speed boost builds up I'm guessing. Anyway, just an observation since I usually like seeing the black box if someone is attacking me.

Proven said:
Don't worry, my keyboard skills are probably worse. I only got marginally ok at hitting 'v' because I play Medic so much, but now with every other game, including L4D, I have to change the keys around or else I'll end up falling off a cliff just to say "pills here!"

Also, I moved crouch to shift. Hitting that left ctrl feels so damn unnatural.
I honestly thought I was alone, haha. Are you sort of new to PC gaming, too?

I use Shift for crouch in TF2 as well. In L4D2 I use Alt, though.

leroidys

MANnnnnn I really hate thundermountain. What a piece of shit map. Especially the last two parts, there is so much vertical space it is just a playground for soldiers. Any competent offence will always steamroll the D on these maps.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
dragonlife29 said:
I honestly thought I was alone, haha. Are you sort of new to PC gaming, too?

I use Shift for crouch in TF2 as well. In L4D2 I use Alt, though.

I use ALT for crouch in TF2. To rocket jump I put my thumb on ALT and bring my index finger over it to hit space. I'm pretty sure this is retarded.

Borgnine said:
I use ALT for crouch in TF2. To rocket jump I put my thumb on ALT and bring my index finger over it to hit space. I'm pretty sure this is retarded.
Wow. I tried it like that but since I wanted to be able to rocket jump (it's perfect for every other class), I changed it to Shift. Alt is just way too hard for me to pull off. My hat's off to you, sir.

Yeef

My keys are standard except that I swapped C and V (C is talk, V is voice menu 3).

Your rocket jumps sound insanely complicated, Borgnine. It'd probably be easier to write a script so that when you right click as Soldier it jumps, crouches and shoots. The only problem is that the 'wait' command can be finicky since it's based on your FPS and not just time. Alternately, you could make it so that it crouches and shoots at the same time and just jump manually.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
My keys are standard except that I swapped C and V (C is talk, V is voice menu 3).

Your rocket jumps sound insanely complicated, Borgnine. It'd probably be easier to write a script so that when you right click as Soldier it jumps, crouches and shoots. The only problem is that the 'wait' command can be finicky since it's based on your FPS and not just time. Alternately, you could make it so that it crouches and shoots at the same time and just jump manually.
Also, only Java is allowed to have scripts!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Bah! I'm an old man and set in my ways. I really didn't have a choice since my pinky is so useless, but it's second nature now anyway.

corn_fest

I can kind of rocket jump, not sure if I'm doing it right, though. I kind of jump and crouch at the same time and shoot :p But I've heard that you're supposed to hold crouch, and use only a and d to steer in the air... I dunno. I wish I could get better, but I haven't found a good tutorial for beginners yet.

I totally saved Yeef's ass when I uber'd him.

And I hate Instro, I almost broke my record of Ubers (6) when he backstabbed me. My meter was on 97% =(

Blizzard

Banned
I have discovered the secret of making badlands fun -- using sticky jumper. Also works relatively well on thunder mountain maps.

Orellio said:
Interesting that your experience is soldiers using a rocket to get away Blizzard. If a heavy gets the drop on me I just pull out my Equalizer and about half the time I get away :p

I actually normally use rockets to get away when I know it's too risky to gamble for a kill. After I land just keep running or RJ away again. Gunboats ftw. :p

I don't see how Thundermountain is Soldier playground though. If anything, it's Hightower that's Soldier playground. So much vertical space. All 3 floors of the tower have big health packs which is awesome. Those 3 will keep you alive without a Medic, giving roamers a lot of advantage.

The annoying thing is if there's a good gunslinger Engie on the other team. A mini sentry on the top floor is pretty destructive.

Clydefrog

was playing on a different server tonight and couldn't help but literally laugh out loud at the variety of names:

1nqgF.jpg

the hate pants, love pants thing

I can't get the hang of rocket jumping :(

For those who were wondering (exactly 0 of you) I was Henry tonight. Had some great games. It really makes the world of difference when you play with people who like to have fun rather than for competition or trying to get the best score.

leroidys

Sgt.Pepper said:
I totally saved Yeef's ass when I uber'd him.

And I hate Instro, I almost broke my record of Ubers (6) when he backstabbed me. My meter was on 97% =(

Yeah you were most glorious medic #1 last night. Saved my ass a bunch of times as well.

Wolf Akela said:
I actually normally use rockets to get away when I know it's too risky to gamble for a kill. After I land just keep running or RJ away again. Gunboats ftw. :p

I don't see how Thundermountain is Soldier playground though. If anything, it's Hightower that's Soldier playground. So much vertical space. All 3 floors of the tower have big health packs which is awesome. Those 3 will keep you alive without a Medic, giving roamers a lot of advantage.

The annoying thing is if there's a good gunslinger Engie on the other team. A mini sentry on the top floor is pretty destructive.

The last map of the three is terrible. Soldiers dominate everybody. True, they do on hightower as well, but I still like that map for some reason haha.

Oh snap, I was thinking of Upward instead of Thundermountain. I keep confusing the two. I'll have to agree Soldiers are great at Thundermountain.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
200 to 300 most likely. You will be a bit laggy, but we have some regulars from the area, and they don't complain.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
balladofwindfishes said:
In unrelated and unofficial crossover news, Minecraft now has Mann Co supply crates :p

That'd be a funny April Fool's crossover. Replace all the player models with blocky Minecraft ones.

Blizzard

Banned
Bleah, I think that's the second time that I've been stuck on goldrush defense for 15-20 minutes, and then the server changes so the rolled team doesn't get to attack at ALL. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom