• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

Drkirby said:
I still say the server we run the game on is actually having problems keeping up, lot of odd lag when the player count is high, even though the pings are all low.

Yeah I have no problems when it is ~15 people or less with my 90-120 ping, but when we get 24 I can basically only play engineer or medic because I get too much random lag to use anything else.

New problem, I'm having trouble finding the server. I tried to add it to my Favorites, but it isn't showing up. Suggestoins?
I love looking like a total nub :/

Edit: I lied. I was trying to connect to the one from the OP. Not the actual GAF Steam Group. But it's full! lol

Dante23

gotee12 said:
That's what I'm afraid of! lol

Don't worry dude, I enjoy playing in the server even though I'm pretty bad at it. I find pretty amusing the friendly atmosphere. It's great.

I'd like to play more often but I find it difficult as I use this same time slot to work in all the college workload.

Nice playing with you tonight guys :)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
gotee12 said:
Yep, I'm gonna stick to the kiddie pool 'til I can take my waders off...
Best way to learn is trial by fire. Plus, the GAF server is filled with decent people. I think if you let them know you're a n00b, they won't take it out on you too much. Other servers... (roll eyes)

gotee12 said:
Yep, I'm gonna stick to the kiddie pool 'til I can take my waders off...
Dude, just play with us. GAF is the best thing to happen to my TF2 life. I play with them a lot when I can and I'm still inexperienced. I never introduced myself as being new, though (just in the thread, I guess). They've never gotten mad at me or anything.

gotee12

I'll jump in with you guys next time I see some players on the GAF server.

31 and I still buckle to peer pressure... smh

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dragonlife29 said:
Dude, just play with us. GAF is the best thing to happen to my TF2 life. I play with them a lot when I can and I'm still inexperienced. I never introduced myself as being new, though (just in the thread, I guess). They've never gotten mad at me or anything.
It's because you play medic :lol

Playing against wartiem sux, I wonder what playing against myself feels like.

Medics for life! And what's your Steam name, Hazaro? I don't remember seeing you. Were we on the same team?

EDIT: I've also been getting better at chasing some of you punks down and killing you. I need to practice getting to the bonesaw, though. I rely on "Q" only.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Hmm i wonder if someone has made a Deadmau5 hat yet.

deadmau5-at-coachella.jpg

Forkball

So I'm not digging the Kunai. The overheal is neat, but it goes away too quickly and starting off with 60 HP is just too much of a risk. If they wanted to make it some gimmicky knife, they should make it where you take your opponent's HP. So if you stab a Heavy with full health, you get 300 HP (no overheal). But on the next backstab if your victim only had 35 HP, you drop to 35 HP (out of the Spy's normal 125, so you can get a health kit or have a Medic bring you back up to full health).

And out of the four samurai items, I guess The Concheror is the most popular. I often see soldiers using it. I would think the Batallion's Backup would be better though since the charge is faster.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like the Concheror Mainly due to the duel charing methods. You can charge it with both getting hurt and doing damage.

Instro

Forkball said:
So I'm not digging the Kunai. The overheal is neat, but it goes away too quickly and starting off with 60 HP is just too much of a risk.

I haven't used it personally, but it seems kind of useless. 60HP is not nearly enough to survive with, the overheal could be useful but your basically completley dependent on getting that first backstab for the overheal before you try anything more risky.

leroidys

Forkball said:
So I'm not digging the Kunai. The overheal is neat, but it goes away too quickly and starting off with 60 HP is just too much of a risk. If they wanted to make it some gimmicky knife, they should make it where you take your opponent's HP. So if you stab a Heavy with full health, you get 300 HP (no overheal). But on the next backstab if your victim only had 35 HP, you drop to 35 HP (out of the Spy's normal 125, so you can get a health kit or have a Medic bring you back up to full health).

And out of the four samurai items, I guess The Concheror is the most popular. I often see soldiers using it. I would think the Batallion's Backup would be better though since the charge is faster.

My idea for the kunai is reduce health to 60, 70, whatever, but make it increase your speed when the kunai is out (regular speed or maybe slower than regular when its not). So you would be fast. You know like a ninja. I think this would be an interesting trade-off.

Found your post on the kunai artistdude

ArtistDude88 said:
Well, after playing a few rounds of with the Conniver's Kunai, I think all-in-all, it's ok.

Having only 60 health is a serious handicap to start off with. At first I tried it with regular cloak. That was just terrible... A stray sticky or rocket anywhere near you was pretty much instant death while walking bye, cloaked or not.

Then I switched to Dead Ringer. This is definitely the only way to use this knife. Disguise as a friendly, trigger DR, get behind enemy lines, disguise as enemy, backstab and run away/DR out of fire. It was extremely satisfying to have ~5 health left, backstab someone and bam! Over-healed to 180.

I don't recommend it's use at all to beginners of the Spy class.

The Kunai definitely adds a flare of challenge to the Spy class with some rewarding moments. Just be mindful of your health, and if you see a Pyro, just run the hell away! Dead Ringer or not, 60 health drops awfully quick when there's a Pyro dogging you. In fact, I don't think I survived ANY Pyro chases...

JonCha

So I may be on this evening. 2 / 3 in the morning is probs too late for a UK gamer! If people are on a couple of hours earlier than that, I'll definitely join up.

I think last time I played I was top player in that game by spamming the crap out fo everyone. Was a little crazy to say the least.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
ArtistDude88 said:
Deal! Even though I have been sucking at spy lately :U

I hope your kills haven't dipped since I went MIA :p

BTW, have you gotten the 1 million fire damage as pyro achievement yet?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does anyone on the gaf server have that one? I played over 80 hours of pyro and only have just shy of 700k fire damage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fuuuuuuuu....I dreamed that I got a soldier hat last night, but when I woke up this morning I checked and it wasn't real...

what the fuck? This game frightens me sometimes

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Been playing this a lot lately, partly with a friend I convinced to give it a go, but also just to mess around by myself and have fun. I usually roll with Medic or Pyro, but I've been trying out other classes now and I'm pretty fond of the Scout. I am so inconsistent with him though. :/ I feel like a rock star some games and then will limp along with a 5 - 17 k/d ratio and low points the other times. I'm not really sure what the deal is, I don't think my aim is that bad, but damn. Was thinking I maybe needed a better loadout so I traded for a Force yesterday and it's pretty ... not good lawl. The knockback plus constant reloading kills it, at least for me anyway. No idea how people make that gun work.

I kinda wanna try the Shortstop now, just to see if it clicks for me. I may dislike it too, but what the hell. Anybody got an extra and willing to trade? Here's what I have. Not much, and I'm unwilling to part with my Shogun 2 stuff or most of my hats, but yeah. Plenty of unused weapons, a dueling mini-game, crates, and a Sniper mask I'm cool with giving up. Don't know if anybody wants to, but figure it couldn't hurt to ask, at least.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Does anyone on the gaf server have that one? I played over 80 hours of pyro and only have just shy of 700k fire damage.
I'm pretty sure Twig has it.

Blizzard almost had it but it got reset for him.

I'm at about 700k after 64 hours of pyro (and I'm at 600k after 35 hours of demoman for comparison).

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
I'm pretty sure Twig has it.

Blizzard almost had it but it got reset for him.

I'm at about 700k after 64 hours of pyro (and I'm at 600k after 35 hours of demoman for comparison).
What?! I got it 4-6 months ago at least, I think. As far as I know it didn't reset. I might have had some other achievement that was glitched rest, but maybe you're thinking of someone else.

Anyway, I'll check tonight (or someone on my friends list can check), but I think I have 100% achievements for pyro, heavy, spy, and sniper. Someone told me that the last scout achievement for environmental death is glitched even though it was already hard to get.

If I had to guess I'd say it took 600-800 hours of gameplay to get the pyro one, but I guess I used to play a lot of pyro.

Detox

JonCha said:
So I may be on this evening. 2 / 3 in the morning is probs too late for a UK gamer! If people are on a couple of hours earlier than that, I'll definitely join up.

I'm new to this game and also in the UK. I've had TF2 for ages and just go on and off it. I played it yesterday and the day before and seem to have been hooked. I have no idea how the hats, weapon unlocks etc work and I think I'm on the default weapons but regardless I was having fun.

Is there a usual time EU Gaffers get on? Or is it just 9pm EST? Which is almost always too late for me.

I reset my stats a while ago so I'd probably be 100k-200k more if I hadn't, but I have about 520k Pyro damage after around 200 hours (counting reset time) as Pyro.

It doesn't help that it got glitched for a while, and that with the Degreaser and Flamethrower/Backburner nerfs there's not much reason to hold down M1 when you can pull out your Shotgun or especially Axetinguisher.

I want to get some copies for friends, does anyone know if I can find some old retail copies on clearance somewhere? Or maybe there's a sale coming up? I'm in Canada so I can't order the $10 copies from Amazon.com.

opticalmace said:
I want to get some copies for friends, does anyone know if I can find some old retail copies on clearance somewhere? Or maybe there's a sale coming up? I'm in Canada so I can't order the $10 copies from Amazon.com.

Look for the Orange Box if you haven't already. Can you not buy through Steam?

Awesome Animals said:
Look for the Orange Box if you haven't already. Can you not buy through Steam?
I can but I'm hoping to get them cheaper than $20 a pop if possible. (Not that it's not worth that much or more anyway!)

snack

opticalmace said:
I can but I'm hoping to get them cheaper than $20 a pop if possible. (Not that it's not worth that much or more anyway!)
I suggest waiting a little. The 200th TF2 update is about to drop and it seems somewhat likely there will be a sale.

leroidys

I traded a ze goggles for a noh mercy a couple days ago. both were yellow text. seems like a good trade to me! Is ze goggles super rare or something? Its not even the best medic hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom