• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
Heavy is easy to learn easy to master.
Not really. People think you can just take all the damage as a heavy, but the best heavies learn the intricacies of the maps and sneak around and ambush a lot.

Unless you qualify that as "easy to master". In which case, you're nuts.

Chinner

Banned
disagree with a medic being 'easy to learn and moderate to master'. good medics not only keep everyone overhealed and use ubers properly, but they basically take charge of the entire team.

Yeef

Twig said:
Not really. People think you can just take all the damage as a heavy, but the best heavies learn the intricacies of the maps and sneak around and ambush a lot.

You have to do that with every class. The main things you have to worry about as a heavy is your slow speed (including spin-up) and overextending yourself. The latter applies to all classes, but the former is fairly easy to get down.

[EDIT]
Chinner said:
disagree with a medic being 'easy to learn and moderate to master'. good medics not only keep everyone overhealed and use ubers properly, but they basically take charge of the entire team.
I'm not sure what you're talking issue with. The basic mechanics of the medic are pretty easy to learn and get used to. 'Moderate' is a relative term and compared to other classes like Demo and Soldier with some crazy advanced movement and juggling I think medic falls somewhere in the middle of the mastery curve.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
You have to do that with every class. The main things you have to worry about as a heavy is your slow speed (including spin-up) and overextending yourself. The latter applies to all classes, but the former is fairly easy to get down.
My point is, heavy's biggest weakness is that people think he's nigh invulnerable. Even people who've played heavy almost exclusively for a month straight still seem to think this, sometimes. Especially when they always have a pocket medic, because they're also playing with bad medics.

Ceebs

Twig said:
My point is, heavy's biggest weakness is that people think he's nigh invulnerable. Even people who've played heavy almost exclusively for a month straight still seem to think this, sometimes. Especially when they always have a pocket medic, because they're also playing with bad medics.
I am super guilty of this all the time as heavy. I am terrible about trying to fight from a low point against anything.

Chinner

Banned
Twig said:
i wouldn't bother discussing it tbh.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Obsessed said:
Sounds great. Is there a class that is notably easier to play than the others? I'm looking for something easy to learn, hard to master.

Soldier, nothing else is close.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Obsessed said:
I'm having trouble finding the server, or finding an option to manually plug in the IP of the GAF server. Any help?
Might as well do it now. Under the server browser go to the Favorites tab and then there should be a button on the bottom that lets you add by IP

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Twig said:
Eh, my personal experience with Heavy hasn't led me to believe that I'm invulnerable so much as there's absolutely no chance of me running away and not getting slaughtered, so its better to try and take some of them down with me.

Ceebs

Obsessed said:
I'm having trouble finding the server, or finding an option to manually plug in the IP of the GAF server. Any help?
There should be an Add server button on the browser somewhere. Just plug in the address there.

Then join the Steam Group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

You will get the popup announcements when people are playing. Usually around 9 eastern time.

The_Technomancer said:
Eh, my personal experience with Heavy hasn't led me to believe that I'm invulnerable so much as there's absolutely no chance of me running away and not getting slaughtered, so its better to try and take some of them down with me.
If you are out in the open sure, but if there is a nook or corner you can turn you can make a getaway and sandvich up.

Yeef

Twig said:
I''d argue that's more a psychological hurdle rather than a mechanics on though. understanding when to attack and when to retreat is something all classes have to do. Heavy having tons of health may make people more likely to rush into battle, but I'd argue scout's speed and soldier's ability to rocket jump has a similar effect.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
I''d argue that's more a psychological hurdle rather than a mechanics on though. understanding when to attack and when to retreat is something all classes have to do. Heavy having tons of health may make people more likely to rush into battle, but I'd argue scout's speed and soldier's ability to rocket jump has a similar effect.
True. People are stupid, though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Heavy is easy to learn easy to master.
Pyro and medic are easy to learn and moderate to master.
Soldier, Scout, Demo are moderate to learn hard to master.
Engineer and Spy are harder to learn and master.

Sniper is easy to play, but virtually entirely dependent upon twitch skills.
lulwut!

Classic Pyro was easy to learn and master. Even if you were a bad Pyro, you could at least get something done. Even as a good Pyro on the 360, I occasionally suicide-charged because it really was just an effective way to screw up their organization and plans, suddenly everybody's retreating and on fire, and while I'd be quickly taken down, oh the hilarity if I caught their Medic ablaze and somebody was stupid enough to take the only nearby health pack.

Current Pyro requires way too much sneaking and airblast mastery to be that accessible now. Basic charges don't do the damage they used to, and are now easily extinguished by AoE heals, Jarate, Mad Milk, friendly airblasts, and so on. Medics who aren't using the Blutsauger now even heal at a rate equal to or increased over afterburn. I'd say as a starter class, Pyro would be pretty disappointing and frustrating.

(._.)

Banned
Yeef said:
It's not a new mode. It's just a specific map called frontier and it's been around forever. it finally became official a few months ago, but it's one of those rare custom maps that everyone played anyway.
I've hated it back then just as much as I hate it now.

Weenerz

Banned
Just had a pretty hilarious run as a spy on a pub server, they don't have recording enabled though =(

They had 6 oblivious people on top of their area in 2fort, and they all went down. After the respawn, they were constantly checking every corner they could think of. I just began stalking people, mentioning them by name, they'd turn around really quickly and shoot behind them lol. 30 or so kills later I finally get too greedy and bite the big one to a demo =(

Weenerz said:
Just had a pretty hilarious run as a spy on a pub server, they don't have recording enabled though =(

They had 6 oblivious people on top of their area in 2fort, and they all went down. After the respawn, they were constantly checking every corner they could think of. I just began stalking people, mentioning them by name, they'd turn around really quickly and shoot behind them lol. 30 or so kills later I finally get too greedy and bite the big one to a demo =(
Why.

Behold! After going through all the tutorials again to relearn the stuff I had forgotten, a revamped Brickyard (AKA best NeoGAF TF2 map ever made), is now in the works. Dun dun dunnnnnn!

untitled-2fqz2.jpg

Will I finish it before the A.D.D. kicks in?! Who knows! :U

Wolf Akela said:
Wait till you get a Sticky Jumper. Use it with Caber on maps like Harvest and Nucleus.
I had no idea such a weapon existed. I'm guessing it's not a drop? I just used all my metal to create my first-ever hat. Really want that weapon now, though. Would help me with my lame Demo skills.

rar

Twig said:

that takes about 5 min of playing the map

i still don't understand why they buffed heavy, basically the worst thing in tf2

dragonlife29 said:
I had no idea such a weapon existed. I'm guessing it's not a drop? I just used all my metal to create my first-ever hat. Really want that weapon now, though. Would help me with my lame Demo skills.

Grats on 1st hat :D

Sticky Jumper and Rocket Jumper are only .49 cents each in the store. I think they're craftable, but why waste the metal when so cheap!

Baha

dragonlife29 said:

Well you can craft one using a demo token, secondary slot token & 1 scrap, but you'll have a 1 in 3 chance of getting one (chargin' targe, scottish resistance or sticky jumper). Or if you don't want to leave it to luck, you can generally trade 1 refined for a sticky jumper.

ArtistDude88 said:
Grats on 1st hat :D

Sticky Jumper and Rocket Jumper are only .49 cents each in the store. I think they're craftable, but why waste the metal when so cheap!
I plan not to buy anything from the store, no matter how cheap...maybe.

And it's not really my first hat, it's just the first I ever made myself. My first was a trade with Yeef (Ze Goggles <3) and I got a Scout one in the double drop-rate week :eek:

My aim is so awful with the Scout :(

Also is it me or does the Pyro feel really weak? Like, I get the jump on the enemy and keep them in the flame and they still kill me before the flame does them in. I don't know, maybe I am doing something wrong.

DarkKyo

Obsessed said:

Also is it me or does the Pyro feel really weak? Like, I get the jump on the enemy and keep them in the flame and they still kill me before the flame does them in. I don't know, maybe I am doing something wrong.
You gotta do more than that. For me the fire is just a degenerative effect I start a battle off with. Set them on fire then a combination of blowback/shot(or flare)gun/axetinguisher. If you hit them with fire and then with the axetinguisher they'll be dead before they realize you're attacking them. Pyro can be super powerful if used correctly.

I would say only use pure flame if you're currently getting crits or destroying buildings or are messing with a lot of people at once.

Dechaios said:
You gotta do more than that. For me the fire is just a degenerative effect I start a battle off with. Set them on fire then a combination of blowback/shot(or flare)gun/axetinguisher. If you hit them with fire and then with the axetinguisher they'll be dead before they realize you're attacking them. Pyro can be super powerful if used correctly.

I would say only use pure flame if you're currently getting crits or destroying buildings or are messing with a lot of people at once.

It seems like by the time I'd actually switch weapons they'd either have escaped, or I'd be dead.

DarkKyo

Obsessed said:
It seems like by the time I'd actually switch weapons they'd either have escaped, or I'd be dead.
I'd recommend the degreaser/axetinguiser combo.. The degreaser features a trait where you can switch weapons much faster. Flame em, scroll up and select axetinguiser, axe em... takes around a second probably. That's the other thing, you gotta use the element of surprise as pyro. Don't run around in the open... stick to hallways and buildings where you know you can get the upper edge. Nobody likes being trapped in a small space with a pyro. Once you've engaged battle just stay in their face until they are dead(while dodging around/blowing back their projectiles).

Welcome to the Pyro's dilemma. It's been a problem since the game came out, that the "ambush class" could more easily die to his ambushed targets. They've nerfed him a ton since then, to the point that a Medic practically has more combat strength.

You just have to get really good at picking your battles, learning the map, getting up close to your targets with them noticing you, and knowing when to use stuff like the Degreaser/Axetinguisher for the puff n' sting.

Dechaios said:
I'd recommend the degreaser/axetinguiser combo.. The degreaser features a trait where you can switch weapons much faster. Flame em, scroll up and select axetinguiser, axe em... takes around a second probably. That's the other thing, you gotta use the element of surprise as pyro.

I dont know what those combos are. I also dont have anything called a degreaser.

Also I do catch enemies by surprise. However, even if I get an ambush they manage to just turn around and kill me before they die. I get that the class isn't mean for out in the open combat. I'm talking about the fact that I dont get kills even when I ambush some fucker. The scout runs away, and the slower classes just pull out their melee weapon and fuck me up.

I'll probably just stick with Scout. Hit and Run seems to work better with them. I just need to learn2aim.

Ketch

Obsessed said:

I think people say pyro is easy because you don't have to aim. (Lolz, W+M1). I would say pyro is a simple class to play, but a fairly difficult class to be good at. The flamethrower really makes you want to charge in there, but you have to resist that urge and play very smartly... almost sneakily to be successful. The flame thrower is not really good for killing people, but its really good at making them go away. If you want to kill people you need to ambush and flank, force them towards your teammates, or into a wall or off an edge. The pyro is really good at holding space, if you can stay alive. Use that to your advantage on defense or around sentry guns or friendly medics.

If you want to get better at pyro just focus on staying alive and let the fire do its work.

Well in that case it seems like the mistakenly marked Pyro as an offensive class. It sounds less like he is about outright killing, and more about helping to control space/enemy movements. Sounds more like support.

Yeef

Obsessed said:

When using the flamethrower you want to lead your shots. There are basically two types of attacks in TF2 (And most modern FPS games for that matter), hitscan and projectiles. Hitscan weapons are weapons that deal damage immediately and are lag compensated. Every weapon that shoots bullets as well as all melee weapons are hitscan.

Projectile weapons have to actually travel and then hit their targets. Projectiles aren't lag compensated, so you want to lead your shots in order to hit people. Projectiles include the syringes, rockets, grenades, and the pyro's flames. Flames also do less damage based on their lifetime. If you're having trouble getting kills with the flamethrower:
  • wait until you're very close to your target before firing. The Flamethrower is loud and alerting your enemies before you're on them only ruins your ambush.
  • Lead your shots a bit to make sure they actually get hit by the flames.

DarkKyo

Obsessed said:
I dont know what those combos are. I also dont have anything called a degreaser.

Also I do catch enemies by surprise. However, even if I get an ambush they manage to just turn around and kill me before they die. I get that the class isn't mean for out in the open combat. I'm talking about the fact that I dont get kills even when I ambush some fucker. The scout runs away, and the slower classes just pull out their melee weapon and fuck me up.

I'll probably just stick with Scout. Hit and Run seems to work better with them. I just need to learn2aim.
Are you using the flamethrowers blowback? You can man-handle a player with that, especially something weak like a scout.. just set them on fire and keep blowing them back into the wall. The Degreaser is an alternate flamethrower... you'll find one in no time, probably.

Yeef

I generally don't recommend airblasting classes once they're on fire unless you're setting up a flare shot, trapping them in a corner or blowing them off a cliff. A lot of pyros like to airblast as soon as they set someone on fire instinctively, but a lot of the time that just ends up putting you out of range so that they can either attack from a safe distance or escape.

DarkKyo

Yeef said:
I generally don't recommend airblasting classes once they're on fire unless you're setting up a flare shot, trapping them in a corner or blowing them off a cliff. A lot of pyros like to airblast as soon as they set someone on fire instinctively, but a lot of the time that just ends up putting you out of range so that they can either attack from a safe distance or escape.
Yeah that's why I said blow them back into a wall, not away from you. If you've got a guy stuck up in the corner of a ceiling there is absolutely nothing he can do besides try his best to kill you(pretty hard while being juggled and on fire).

Forkball

The one thing I really hate about the Pyro is their inability to really combat a heavy. Even if you do a puff and sting, they still have around 100 health. Getting two axe shots in before a heavy kills you is a miracle. Even if you do manage to take them down by strafing or axeing, the rest of the team probably knows where you are by now and you're dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom