• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball said:
The one thing I really hate about the Pyro is their inability to really combat a heavy. Even if you do a puff and sting, they still have around 100 health. Getting two axe shots in before a heavy kills you is a miracle. Even if you do manage to take them down by strafing or axeing, the rest of the team probably knows where you are by now and you're dead.
Going 1-on-1 at point blank range against a full-health heavy means you will probably die? Sounds fair to me. :p

Yeef

Forkball said:
The one thing I really hate about the Pyro is their inability to really combat a heavy. Even if you do a puff and sting, they still have around 100 health. Getting two axe shots in before a heavy kills you is a miracle. Even if you do manage to take them down by strafing or axeing, the rest of the team probably knows where you are by now and you're dead.
Don't take heavies on head to head. Don't bother trying to ambush them from behind unless they either are engaged from the other direction or aren't spun up at all. In the time it takes a heavy to spin up you should be able to kill him with the axstinguisher or get his health low enough, back off, then re-engage with your shotgun when he thinks you're gone.

So I decided to play on a random server after the GAF server crashed or something.

As soon I came out the gate right next to the second point on Badwater, the BLU team captured it, and the gate closed on me....well, it sent me under the map.

0C95BC1539E2D268EDBE1C0BD1F3D831D2B14A03

I'm finding the Pyro much more enjoyable now. Though there seem to be some maps (well just one so far, but I've only played on three of them) where he just cannot ambush. The map in question is basically a huge bridge that separates the two bases, and each base has a sewer.

I'm also having fun with the Scout, but I got depressed after reading that two shotgun shots should kill any class but the Heavy. I swear I pumped 4 shots into a Soldier and he didnt die, but now I realize I must have missed nearly all the shots (I could have sworn I saw blood...).

Oh yes. 2fort. A once veritable classic from Quake 1 TF and TFClassic, an icon of online multiplayer and map design.

Now it's considered the worst map in the game.

edit: well no hydro is the worst but 2fort is a close second

edit2: Also realize that there is damage falloff based on distance. At point blank range, yes, the Scattergun can kill nearly anything below a Heavy in two shots. At farther range you're going to see less damage.

Forkball said:

If the Heavy is spun up in the opposite direction, Puff n' Sting is nearly a surefire kill as a backstab or headshot. Easy peasy.

Yeef

Obsessed said:
I'm finding the Pyro much more enjoyable now. Though there seem to be some maps (well just one so far, but I've only played on three of them) where he just cannot ambush. The map in question is basically a huge bridge that separates the two bases, and each base has a sewer.

I'm also having fun with the Scout, but I got depressed after reading that two shotgun shots should kill any class but the Heavy. I swear I pumped 4 shots into a Soldier and he didnt die, but now I realize I must have missed nearly all the shots (I could have sworn I saw blood...).
Go into options > multiplayer > advanced. There's an option to make the game play a sound every time you hit someone and another to show the damage numbers above the person you hit so that you know how much damage you've done.

Bluth54

Chinner said:
OH MY GOD just got my kritzkast hat!!
hn6Sd.png

wow it's better than expected!!!

You need to add a description to it.

My vote is "I listened for the big surprise and all I got was this stupid hat."

Ceebs

Orellio said:
Man that should default to on. I can't imagine playing without the damage numbers being displayed anymore.
Same...I used to leave it off, now I can't live without it.

Obsessed, After Wedensday if you do not have an axtinguisher yet ask here for one. Someone will get their 500th in a random drop and will be happy to give it to you.

corn_fest

Ceebs said:
Obsessed, After Wedensday if you do not have an axtinguisher yet ask here for one. Someone will get their 500th in a random drop and will be happy to give it to you.
Obsessed, if you need anything I'll be happy to give to to you, I think I have extras of nearly every weapon, and I just make them into metal anyway. Check pages 5 and 6 if you want anything.

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
Yeah, I love seeing the numbers.

Recently I turned on the "ding" sound when you hit someone. Now I can't play without it either, haha.
Make sure to set the high and low pitches too. That way it goes DONG when you hit someone for lots of damage and dnk when you hit someone for little damage.

tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg
tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg

corn_fest said:
Obsessed, if you need anything I'll be happy to give to to you, I think I have extras of nearly every weapon, and I just make them into metal anyway. Check pages 5 and 6 if you want anything.
I don't know why people still use tf2items. TF2B is so much better. It loads faster and puts everything on a single page.

http://www.tf2b.com/corn_fest

corn_fest

Yeef said:
I don't know why people still use tf2items. TF2B is so much better. It loads faster and puts everything on a single page.
I do use tf2b, tf2items just happened to come up first from my bookmarks.

Clydefrog

Yeef said:
Make sure to set the high and low pitches too. That way it goes DONG when you hit someone for lots of damage and dnk when you hit someone for little damage.

tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg
tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg

http://www.tf2b.com/corn_fest

My steam name "Artemis Clivefrog" works on TF2Items but not TF2B. Explain that!

oh and I still play without dings, dongs, and other damage indicators!

Yeef said:
Go into options > multiplayer > advanced. There's an option to make the game play a sound every time you hit someone and another to show the damage numbers above the person you hit so that you know how much damage you've done.

Oh wow, so much better. Thank you.

Ceebs said:

Thank you for the offer.

You too corn fest. :D

desh

Wolf Akela said:
Anyone have a crappy but craftable hat they don't want? I'll pay 1 ref 1 rec.

Don't sell your craftable hat for less than 1.5 refined (1 ref + 1 rec + 1 scrap + 1 weapon). This is the true minimum value of any craftable hat, since crafting 1 hat = 3 refined or 2 craftable hats.

Baha

Obsessed said:
I got a Mann Co. Supply Crate, and I dont want to buy an unlock key. Can I find keys randomly?

Nope, you can trade metal for keys though. The price you should be paying is 2 refined + 1 reclaimed. Anymore and you're overpaying and any less and you're getting a good deal.

ArtistDude88 said:
Effin' A. That's like over 2 months of metal saving (for us folks with 1 account) for a stupid key. Trading economy in this game can go screw itself >:\

Wow, it takes that long of a time to get that little amount of material?

I think I may just avoid the trading economy.

yeoz

Keys are a waste of time, period. 1% chance of getting an unusual hat means you'll be opening hundreds of crates before you get an unusual hat.
Most of the time it's just worthless junk you already have.

You're better off trading metal for hats instead of metal for keys.
Trading for hats, makes sense IMO. You can get most hats for just a refined or two.
Better to get a hat you like for cheap, than unbox yet another huntsman from a crate.

yeoz said:
Keys are a waste of time, period. 1% chance of getting an unusual hat means you'll be opening hundreds of crates before you get an unusual hat.
Most of the time it's just worthless junk you already have.

You're better off trading metal for hats instead of metal for keys.
Trading for hats, makes sense IMO. You can get most hats for just a refined or two.
Better to get a hat you like for cheap, than unbox yet another huntsman from a crate.
http://cratesim.appspot.com/

The worst part is when you uncrate a really awesome hat... that you didn't really uncrate.

A Sunbeams Defiant Spartan would be worth a crazy amount, in trades or resale.

Oh, I experienced my first "Pyro is a noob class that takes no fucking skill, play a real class." ranter today. I made sure to ask him what class took skill so I could have fun the proper way.

DarkKyo

Obsessed said:
Oh, I experienced my first "Pyro is a noob class that takes no fucking skill, play a real class." ranter today. I made sure to ask him what class took skill so I could have fun the proper way.
Fuck that guy. He just doesn't get the spirit of TF2. Don't even listen to dickbags like that.

Edit: Also, he probably sucks and dies to every pyro in the world.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I give mad respect to pro pyros, which I abbreviate to the "pryros." As a soldier, they're easily my bread and butter. It's a 2 rocket 100% guaranteed kill 90% of the time, and it works every time. I'm very impressed by anyone that can play them effectively, and would gladly offer up my mouth to put your penis in if we met irl.

Clydefrog

Borgnine said:
I give mad respect to pro pyros, which I abbreviate to the "pryros." As a soldier, they're easily my bread and butter. It's a 2 rocket 100% guaranteed kill 90% of the time, and it works every time. I'm very impressed by anyone that can play them effectively, and would gladly offer up my mouth to put your penis in if we met irl.

What constitutes a pryro for you then? Effectively using airblast? Shotgunning you from distance?

Chinner

Banned
Clydefrog said:
What constitutes a pryro for you then? Effectively using airblast? Shotgunning you from distance?
Those things, knowing when to support, knowing when to ambush, being a team player (protecting a sentry nest or medic) etc.

Ketch

Obsessed said:

Obsessed said:
But why should he care? It isn't like it is a broken class.

Also this is an opinion coming from a newb, but if any class is "W+M1 lol no skillz" it is the Heavy.

LOL. I think you'll fit right in.

Borgnine said:

Remind me to play more pyro. On a completely unrelated note, Where do you live Borg?

Clydefrog said:
Being a pyro with bad ping is hard though. Constantly burning players’ shadows.
Tell me about it, either I don't fucking burn people unless I'm on their face or people burn me from 10 meters away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom