• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have a strange GRU if anyone has any offers.

Also, can you get the Rift promo items by drops or are they craft only?

XeroSauce

Yeef said:
Pyro already had the Madame Dixie.

And you mean a robot. Pyro is obviously a robot.

e5gtqw.png

Do you not have internet in those places? You don't have to buy stuff through the client.
I luckily have some cool GAF friends that bought games off my account for me. Generally Steam is blocked or unuseable in places like that.

It's just an inconvinence. I like being part of the hype.

Evlar

Banned
Sciz said:
The Quick-Fix is doing terrible things to BLU's ability to push through RED defenses.
Is that what's happening? I don't have the Quick-Fix yet, but I've been on the receiving end of a lot of impressive Red defenses the last few nights.

Baha

Evlar said:
Is that what's happening? I don't have the Quick-Fix yet, but I've been on the receiving end of a lot of impressive Red defenses the last few nights.

The Quick Fix's uber doesn't grant invulnerability or kritz but rather 3x healing with immunity to stun, knockback or slowdown which sounds cool and all but against a sentry farm isn't very useful.

Blizzard

Banned
Baha said:
The Quick Fix's uber doesn't grant invulnerability or kritz but rather 3x healing with immunity to stun, knockback or slowdown which sounds cool and all but against a sentry farm isn't very useful.
Sentry farms aside, I feel like the uber also doesn't help much on offense since someone just immediately snipes the medic or drops 2-3 (crit) stickies to kill you both anyway.

jdogmoney

Hylian7 said:
Arghhhh, so close to crafting a Family Business and I have the complete Heavy set, minus the hat. The only thing I need is a Frontier Justice. I have one but it's Vintage and I don't want to craft that. Does anyone have an extra one they're willing to trade?

Here's my backpack, make me an offer and I'll tell you what I think: http://www.tf2items.com/id/Hylian7

Conniver's Kunai?

Spl1nter

Had a lot of fun playing scout last night on the gaf server. Such a fun class but some sections of certain maps it feels like a horrible class to play; same can be said for sniper.

The shortstop is amazing. I like it a lot more than the standard scout gun. Force of nature is a piece of shit. Will have to try out the soda popper.

Ghost23

I got a crate for the first time today! Is actually buying a key the only way to unlock a crate? Also, how common is it to get a Dead Ringer in a drop? I've been playing mostly spy, so that item is on my number spot for things to get.

Ketch

Blizzard said:
Sentry farms aside, I feel like the uber also doesn't help much on offense since someone just immediately snipes the medic or drops 2-3 (crit) stickies to kill you both anyway.

I think the QF is good on both sides of the ball, but it's definetly not a replacement for an uber. I was blue using QF on a payload map (I suck at knowing map names, maybe gold rush..).. Anyway pushing with the QF is great when you have a lot of people to heal, but yea a good sentry is still gonna need an uber or spy.

The problem that I think everyone is noticing (or at least I am) is just that because the weapons are new everyone is using them.... tomislov, QF, liberty launcher... scout stuff. I don't know, but all the heavies with that stupid gun are stupid and they ruin everything

Yeef

FuzzyNorman said:
I got a crate for the first time today! Is actually buying a key the only way to unlock a crate? Also, how common is it to get a Dead Ringer in a drop? I've been playing mostly spy, so that item is on my number spot for things to get.
Keys are the only way to open crates and keys can only come into existence by being bought. YOU don't have to buy them though, you can get them via trade, but they go for a lot.

The majority of the items drop equally. Some items, like Mad Milk, tend to drop less frequently than other weapons, but there is a good chance you'll get a dead ringer drop. If you don't just about anyone with an extra dead ringer will trade it for any other weapon.

Baha

FuzzyNorman said:

Buying a key or trading a certain amount of metal to somebody trading keys are the only ways of obtaining them. You can also trade hats for keys but that tends to work if the hat you're trading is popular.

Dead ringers are common drops like every other weapon that isn't a reskin or a promotional item. Ask around, I bet that some people in this thread will have one tonight after the drop cap resets. Also, the DR is tied to achievements as well so you can get it that way too.

EasyTGT said:
I think the QF is good on both sides of the ball, but it's definetly not a replacement for an uber. I was blue using QF on a payload map (I suck at knowing map names, maybe gold rush..).. Anyway pushing with the QF is great when you have a lot of people to heal, but yea a good sentry is still gonna need an uber or spy.

The problem that I think everyone is noticing (or at least I am) is just that because the weapons are new everyone is using them.... tomislov, QF, liberty launcher... scout stuff. I don't know, but all the heavies with that stupid gun are stupid and they ruin everything

Exactly this. The Quick Fix, much like the medic gun or kritzkrieg are situational and I think a lot of people ignore that when they tell new players to play medic. Besides healing team mates and leading charges, you have to learn to assess the situation and decide whether your team needs an uber, kritzs or quick healing. IMO, all new players should stick to the medic gun when playing medic until they learn the ropes so to speak.

So last night on the other server I frequent, we decided to have a fun contest when King of the Train came up as a surprise map: some of us went Pyro and tried to see how many points we could get by the end of the map.

I won. And also completely screwed up my stats:

kzqoV.jpg

iF0BH.jpg

Maybe it's time to reset them ...

Yeef

EasyTGT said:
I think the quick fix can be used to take out a sentry nest pretty well, it just takes a lot more coordination. One method is to megaheal a bonk scout and have a demo come in behind you to wreck everything.

webrunner

FuzzyNorman said:

Easiest way is probably just to get a friend and grind out the Spy achievements. You'll get the Dead Ringer, Cloak and Dagger, and Ambassador that way.

Ghost23

So to make metal you need to have multiples of different items or multiple items for the same class? I'm assuming once I play the game for a few weeks more I'll have enough items to make a decent amount of metals.

webrunner

FuzzyNorman said:
So to make metal you need to have multiples of different items or multiple items for the same class? I'm assuming once I play the game for a few weeks more I'll have enough items to make a decent amount of metals.

Two items from the same class = one scrap metal.

Baha

NihonTiger90 said:
So last night on the other server I frequent, we decided to have a fun contest when King of the Train came up as a surprise map: some of us went Pyro and tried to see how many points we could get by the end of the map.

http://i.imgur.com/kzqoV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iF0BH.jpg

If you're still accumulating healing/dmg/kills for any of achievements then don't as it will reset those as well.

Ketch

Yeef said:
I think the quick fix can be used to take out a sentry nest pretty well, it just takes a lot more coordination. One method is to megaheal a bonk scout and have a demo come in behind you to wreck everything.

I think the quick fix uber takes a lot more coordination to use effectively regardless of what you're trying to do. Because instead of just getting one guy to push up so you can uber him you need to get like 3 or 4 or 5 people to push up so you can use the uber the way it was ment to be used.

edit: that said, a team with an uber and a quick fix is pro... send in the uber to cause havoc and quick fix the rest of the team as they rush in behind the uber... oh wait, why would you ever rush in behind an uber???

NihonTiger90 said:

http://i.imgur.com/kzqoV.jpg[/IMG]

http://i.imgur.com/iF0BH.jpg[/IMG]

I had this happen to me on a turbo server as I was playing medic. I tried to reset my stats but the button apparently doesn't work :eek: I've just learned to live with it. Not like the stats matter anyway.

(._.)

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Had a lot of fun playing scout last night on the gaf server. Such a fun class but some sections of certain maps it feels like a horrible class to play; same can be said for sniper.

The shortstop is amazing. I like it a lot more than the standard scout gun. Force of nature is a piece of shit. Will have to try out the soda popper.
Shortstop is actually really good. Thing is I find the scatter gun is slightly better in the long run due to the longer range.

Forkball

Shortstop actually does more damage mid-range than the scattergun, but the scattergun is better for meat shots.

If the Steam sale happens tomorrow, get ready for Summer Keyton.

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
So how about some info on Tomislav now that's been nerfed?
I tried it last night. The slower spinup seems reasonable. I suppose the spindown is slower too, but I am not sure. I think it fits into the scheme of things decently now:

* Fast spinup, quiet, lower damage (Tomislav)
* Normal spinup, normal damage (Minigun, Othergun)
* Slow spinup, higher damage (Brass Beast)
* Natascha (lol)

derFeef

Technical question guys.
A friend of mine has problems installing TF2 (steam crashes at 100% allocating files). I gave him following files from my steam folder:

all the TF2 gcf files out of /steamapps/
and the "team fortress 2" folder from the /steamapps/username/ folder
aprox. 10gb together.

Now he tells me Steam only recognizes (but not install) TF2 if he copies the /username/ files into the /common/ folder. This is weird, right?

He is not able to install it for months now, but he has played it before and has no problems with all the other games.

Rapstah

derFeef said:
Technical question guys.
A friend of mine has problems installing TF2 (steam crashes at 100% allocating files). I gave him following files from my steam folder:

all the TF2 gcf files out of /steamapps/
and the "team fortress 2" folder from the /steamapps/username/ folder
aprox. 10gb together.

Now he tells me Steam only recognizes (but not install) TF2 if he copies the /username/ files into the /common/ folder. This is weird, right?

He is not able to install it for months now, but he has played it before and has no problems with all the other games.
Well they shouldn't be put into the Common folder? He should put them in the exact same folder you took them from but with his username in place of yours.

EDIT: Or is this what you're saying? Sorry.

derFeef

Rapstah said:
Well they shouldn't be put into the Common folder? He should put them in the exact same folder you took them from but with his username in place of yours.

EDIT: Or is this what you're saying? Sorry.
Exactly, Steam is acting weird for him, that is what I mean. Redownloading, putting the files in weird and/or correct folders, clean install - nothing seems to help.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Evlar said:
Got a Pyromancer drop last night. Don't know what to paint it.

I'm a fan of the solid color style, especially if you can get the googly eyes accessory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom