• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasae

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
fascinating. thanks for the insight, guys. I think I'll try some of these setups tonight.

Shame that I've put like 300 hours into the game but have not perfected these basic techniques.
You haven't killed me with Natascha either, so that pat on the back is a long ways off.

Blizzard said:
I use the scroll wheel and probably the number keys too. I use the quick setup for the spy where everything is on 1234 or whatever instead of 123456789. It took me a while to get used to but now it seems easy. I mostly use Q a lot for quick switching, typically for melee (i.e. axetinguisher).

By the way, HL2.exe crashes every single time I exit these days. Anyone else have that happen?
About 1/3 of the time, and yes it started happening just recently.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just use the 1, 2, 3, keys and quick switch for the weapons, and have Q for "Switch to last weapon", I think its the default layout.

I wish spy had a random option when disguising.

Proven

Earlier today I decided to play a little bit before heading off to class. I've been playing Demoknight recently in last week since it's a class I never put much time in despite wanting to play, and I was going to be on a newbie server. I ended up breaking 5 records by ridiculous amounts, three of which surpassing records for my much more played classes, including most dominations (7). I am not allowing myself on Valve servers anymore.

Also, I gained new respect for pl_thundermountain in the last couple days. There are actually a lot of paths in the map designed to destroy RED team that are pretty hard to all defend at once. The only parts where I felt the defense had a real advantage were at the very beginning before 1-1 (if they start to get to that first corner barn and beyond you're screwed) and the last points on stage 3 (feel like an even fight).

I realize now that the only reason I didn't learn these paths and such was because it's not played often on GAF server when I'm there, and I'm usually Medic or Soldier with a banner, so staying near the cart is more important.

?!

I'm pretty sure Janky-ass alway plays Thundermountain. In fact, I've whined about GAF's favorite maps a bunch of times (Hightower, Thundermountain, HOODOO). Upwards doesn't count because I like the map, it just runs like ass in my PC.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh yeah, the best thing in Thunder Mountain is as a spy realizing there is a single open path to the red spawn, near point 3. You got to climb up the entire tower, then go though a narrow path you are prone to bump into people, and then you are in the home stretch where you can often get behind an engineer nest and catch him off guard. Love the map.

Yeef

i disabled the mouse wheel switch. it just gets in the way. i use the default numbers + q with instant switching. I also have the options to remember weapon and last weapon between lives.

Proven said:
Earlier today I decided to play a little bit before heading off to class. I've been playing Demoknight recently in last week since it's a class I never put much time in despite wanting to play, and I was going to be on a newbie server. I ended up breaking 5 records by ridiculous amounts, three of which surpassing records for my much more played classes, including most dominations (7). I am not allowing myself on Valve servers anymore.

Also, I gained new respect for pl_thundermountain in the last couple days. There are actually a lot of paths in the map designed to destroy RED team that are pretty hard to all defend at once. The only parts where I felt the defense had a real advantage were at the very beginning before 1-1 (if they start to get to that first corner barn and beyond you're screwed) and the last points on stage 3 (feel like an even fight).

I realize now that the only reason I didn't learn these paths and such was because it's not played often on GAF server when I'm there, and I'm usually Medic or Soldier with a banner, so staying near the cart is more important.
We play thunder mountain like every night. it's one of my favorite maps, but it's just so damn long.

Proven

Sgt.Pepper said:
?!

I'm pretty sure Janky-ass alway plays Thundermountain. In fact, I've whined about GAF's favorite maps a bunch of times (Hightower, Thundermountain, HOODOO). Upwards doesn't count because I like the map, it just runs like ass in my PC.
If you haven't noticed, I tend to have really bad luck missing maps I like or want to spend more time with on the server, and there's often no going back for the night.

And sooooooorry for loving Hoodoo so much. It's the only map that feels like Dustbowl to me while also being less broken for RED.

And be happy that Hightower is at least playable on the GAF server. In another year's time I'm fearing 24/7 Hightower servers becoming the equivalent of 24/7 2Fort servers.

Yeef said:
i disabled the mouse wheel switch. it just gets in the way. i use the default numbers + q with instant switching. I also have the options to remember weapon and last weapon between lives.
My controls:
Mousewheel up: slot 1
Mousewheel down: slot 2
Mousewheel click (Mouse 3): slot 3
Mouse 4: slot 4
Mouse 5: slot 5

Before a friend gave me a five button mouse I just used the number keys for 4 and 5 since they're really only necessary for Engy (I have no 8th and 9th slotted class).

Dug

Banned
Drkirby said:
I just use the 1, 2, 3, keys and quick switch for the weapons, and have Q for "Switch to last weapon", I think its the default layout.

I wish spy had a random option when disguising.
I just use the mouse wheel to switch weapons. It's just really convenient, IMO.

Javaman

They should add overhealing to the quick fix, that'll bring it closer in line to the usefulness of the other mediguns. Also make the uber more noticable for players. Maybe instead of overheal they could make the quickfix charge heal an AOE. The things not too bad really.with a soldier with direct hit yu can easily take down 2 level 3 sentries unless the engs are constantly banging on it

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Javaman said:
They should add overhealing to the quick fix, that'll bring it closer in line to the usefulness of the other mediguns.

It would have to come with a nerf to the heal rate then. Overhealing + 40% extra heal rate + heavy == holy hell.

Javaman said:
They should add overhealing to the quick fix, that'll bring it closer in line to the usefulness of the other mediguns. Also make the uber more noticable for players. Maybe instead of overheal they could make the quickfix charge heal an AOE. The things not too bad really.with a soldier with direct hit yu can easily take down 2 level 3 sentries unless the engs are constantly banging on it
nah. I like that you have to make sacrifices in exchange for other benefits.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Going Spy on the f2p servers is pretty fun, reminds me of how much fun Spy was when the game was in Beta.

Every f2p server is filled with like 5 Heavies on each side.

XeroSauce

Playing Huntsman Sniper with an SMG and the Shiv is a different world. Nailing random-ass headshots, making Scouts rage, using the SMG after years...it's kind of a rush.

Forkball

If they add overhealing to the Quick Fix, maybe they should make it to where getting to your max health is fast, but overhealing is slower than normal. That could be a decent trade off.

Yeef

Javaman said:
Overhealing would get rid of one of the quick-fixes best upsides: that it always charges at max rate. On any map without setup time it'll always charge faster than the other mediguns and during the match you should get a lot more full charges.

Yasae

Banned
It takes about 4 or 5 rockets to kill a Splendid Screen demo. There's no way in hell that thing has a mere 25% explosive damage resistance, as targe demos are considerably easier to kill with rockets.

Something is mighty bugged there.
Dreams-Visions said:
pretty sick burn right there, sir.
Gotta walk the walk before you talk the talk.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dechaios said:
Anyone getting any drops after the cap supposedly reset a half hour ago?
How do you guys know when the drops get reset? Is it regular, or does the community that plays a ton just report in from different places?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Overhealing would get rid of one of the quick-fixes best upsides: that it always charges at max rate. On any map without setup time it'll always charge faster than the other mediguns and during the match you should get a lot more full charges.
Still useless since 2 stickies can more or less kill you if you're healed by the quick shit. Uber and kritz for survivability.

Ghost23

Does anybody have The Dead Ringer or Your Eternal Reward they would like to trade? I mean I have barely anything since I'm F2P and have only played a few days, but it's worth a shot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsessed said:
I prefer the regular invisi-watch to the Dead Ringer. Is one clearly superior, or does it boil down to personal preference?
Its preference, but it also changes the play style. With Dead Ringer, you have to rely on you disguise much more, and the ability to move around without being see also without any sort of cloak. With the normal watch, you can cover a lot of ground though.

Cloak and Dagger is only good if you need to stay in one spot for a long time, but doing so is often just bad play style.

DarkKyo

Dreams-Visions said:
note: Refreshing Summer Cooler is a new crate. I just got one.

Series #22 crate.
Yeah they've been dropping since the patch last night.

Can't wait for mine... I remember hoarding a bunch of winter crates and opening 'em before that event was over last Xmas...

Obsessed said:
I prefer the regular invisi-watch to the Dead Ringer. Is one clearly superior, or does it boil down to personal preference?
Depends on the map. The normal watch is worse than Dead Ringer on Badwater, IMO. Too many open spaces, and ammo packs are too far from each other, and there are many chockepoints to pass unharmed.

Normal watch dominates in maps like Gorge, Viaduct, etc. Big maps aren't too good for it, I say. But that's just me, Artist seems to do well in those maps with the normal watch.

Dechaios said:
Yeah they've been dropping since the patch last night.

Can't wait for mine... I remember hoarding a bunch of winter crates and opening 'em before that event was over last Xmas...
oh, so there should be something decent inside?

DarkKyo

Dreams-Visions said:
oh, so there should be something decent inside?
The winter crates had a much higher rate of dropping the event hats(compared to the hat drop-rate of normal crates) and some event items(australian christmas update) and an incredible 2% drop-rate on unusual hats. If you ever wanted to try unboxing an unusual, this next week will be your time to try it.

It may not be a much higher chance but there is a better chance indeed.

Ugh, just read a horror story on SA.

Dude with like 370 hours, Steam Guard enabled, strong password, got his account hacked and his backpack cleared of anything tradeable, and his account was VAC banned. :(

DarkKyo

EmCeeGramr said:

Dude with like 370 hours, Steam Guard enabled, strong password, got his account hacked and his backpack cleared of anything tradeable, and his account was VAC banned. :(
So that means they hacked his e-mail too?

Drkirby said:
Its preference, but it also changes the play style. With Dead Ringer, you have to rely on you disguise much more, and the ability to move around without being see also without any sort of cloak. With the normal watch, you can cover a lot of ground though.

Cloak and Dagger is only good if you need to stay in one spot for a long time, but doing so is often just bad play style.

Yeah, I'd mainly use Cloak and Dagger in CTF games. Being able to keep an eye on the enemies intel room all the time sounds fairly useful.

Yeef

I updated the servers so that halloween mode is on whenever Harvest Event or Mann Manor come up. What does that mean? Halloween hats will work. Also thriller taunt.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make the horsemann spawn.

Yeef said:
I updated the servers so that halloween mode is on whenever Harvest Event or Mann Manor come up. What does that mean? Halloween hats will work. Also thriller taunt.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make the horsemann spawn.

Why is that unfortunate?

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Well at least he can appeal it and get the account back! (oh wait)

Definitely make sure to use a different email password and Steam password though. =(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:

valuable, eh?

Probably left the Quick Fix! :D

I thought Steam Guard was supposed to protect against all this? I wonder if there isn't more to the story...

Weenerz

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
valuable, eh?

Probably left the Quick Fix! :D

I thought Steam Guard was supposed to protect against all this? I wonder if there isn't more to the story...

His email probably got hacked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom