• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
balladofwindfishes said:
We need more weapons like the Eyelander, Shortstop, Hunstman and Flaregun and less weapons like the Direct Hit, Scot Res and Natasha.

Totally different animations, and a totally different way of playing the class.
Can't disagree with this, your completely right. Though Direct Hit does provide a different playstyle, everything else has been made irrelevant by the Black Box for Soldiers. And the Scottish Resistance is pretty much perfectly balanced with the normal sticky gun (I prefer normal gun's shoot and forget kind of play anyways). Though shit like the Natascha should go.

enzo_gt said:
Can't disagree with this, your completely right. Though Direct Hit does provide a different playstyle, everything else has been made irrelevant by the Black Box for Soldiers. And the Scottish Resistance is pretty much perfectly balanced with the normal sticky gun (I prefer normal gun's shoot and forget kind of play anyways). Though shit like the Natascha should go.
the new minigun looks like when it'll get more widespread we'll see less Natashas being used. It can kill things at a huge range incredibly quickly, but you sacrifice a ton of mobility. It's exactly the sort of weapon I can see a pub player going nuts over. And honestly, it's not a bad weapon from what I've used. It takes some getting used to, but when you do, you tear stuff apart.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
balladofwindfishes said:
the new minigun looks like when it'll get more widespread we'll see less Natashas being used. It can kill things at a huge range incredibly quickly, but you sacrifice a ton of mobility. It's exactly the sort of weapon I can see a pub player going nuts over. And honestly, it's not a bad weapon from what I've used. It takes some getting used to, but when you do, you tear stuff apart.
Yeah, but it's also the kind of weapon that will get inevitably nerfed. That +25% damage destroys you in any Heavy vs. Heavy battles. Everytime I confront a dude with it, even if I start firing first or I'm in an advantageous position, or have an advantageous amount of healing from a Medic, it destroys regular Minigun users most of the time.

enzo_gt said:

Ever since the nerf, Natascha isn't even worth using anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Shortstop's slowdown was buggy and didn't work

As of the Christmas update, the Shortstop no longer even attempts to slow down. It's not in the weapon's attributes anymore.
Ah, thanks, I didn't realize they had gotten rid of it.

And people are already wanting the new heavy gun nerfed? You people just want the poor heavy to suffer. Is it because you hate big people, or because you hate RUSSIANS? ;_; I need an easy-to-use overpowered class in order to enjoy TF2, and you all just want to take it away from me!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blizzard said:
Ah, thanks, I didn't realize they had gotten rid of it.

And people are already wanting the new heavy gun nerfed? You people just want the poor heavy to suffer. Is it because you hate big people, or because you hate RUSSIANS? ;_; I need an easy-to-use overpowered class in order to enjoy TF2, and you all just want to take it away from me!
Use the minigun.

I exclusively used Natascha since the Heavy update. And then my friend told me to use the normal minigun again. I did. Never went back to Natascha again. I get 2-3 more kills on average using Minigun instead of the Natascha (usually, 0 kills with Natascha vs. 2-3 kills with minigun).

I'm saying it should be nerfed or correctly balanced vs. the minigun and Natascha.

Blizzard

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Use the minigun.

I exclusively used Natascha since the Heavy update. And then my friend told me to use the normal minigun again. I did. Never went back to Natascha again. I get 2-3 more kills on average using Minigun instead of the Natascha (usually, 0 kills with Natascha vs. 2-3 kills with minigun).

I'm saying it should be nerfed or correctly balanced vs. the minigun and Natascha.
I used both guns before Natascha was nerfed. I'm just saying that Valve needs to give me an overpowered class so I can easily win (preferably while killing scouts). :p

By the way, I need to take some screenshots to prove it, but I'm convinced that the heavy bear claws take up more screen space than even the boxing gloves. I haven't tried to mess with variables to move the position down though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BloodySinner said:
Ever since the nerf, Natascha isn't even worth using anymore.
Really, the nerf was quiet small, all it did was make the slowdown have fall off. The spin up time shouldn't make to much difference.

I will be shocked if the Jag doesn't have a Nerf of any kind though. 30% faster building is quiet the gain for a very small trade off IMO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Natascha has always been situational. I break her out rarely when I think I'm going to be doing choke-point crowd control and I'm going to be more about supporting the team then racking up kills. Although with slowdown fall-off that's not nearly as useful anymore.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got the thumbs up from Valve to auction off the vintage companion cube pin for charity.

Anyone have any suggestions on the most effective way to do this?

I was thinking just an ebay auction for Child's Play. Also, does anyone know if this is the rarest item on TF2?

The Technomancer

Dacvak said:
I got the thumbs up to auction off the vintage companion cube pin for charity.

If you want some publicity and therefore higher bids then I would make a simple website that tracks the bidding and sell the event around to places like RPS, The Escapist, maybe Penny-Arcade for exposure...the non-giant outlets. This could actually turn into something big if you play your cards right.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The_Technomancer said:
If you want some publicity and therefore higher bids then I would make a simple website that tracks the bidding and sell the event around to places like RPS, The Escapist, maybe Penny-Arcade for exposure...the non-giant outlets. This could actually turn into something big if you play your cards right.
Oh I have no idea how to do that. I was planning of posting it on my blog, which sees about 100,000 views a month.

The Technomancer

Dacvak said:
Oh I have no idea how to do that. I was planning of posting it on my blog, which sees about 100,000 views a month.
Oh, you have a blog? Even better then. I feel like I'm missing something about who you are....who are you?

And you still should try to get it around, get other outlets to mention it. At worst they ignore you, at best free publicity.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The_Technomancer said:
Oh, you have a blog? Even better then. I feel like I'm missing something about who you are....who are you?

And you still should try to get it around, get other outlets to mention it. At worst they ignore you, at best free publicity.
I don't see an issue with posting it on Steam Forums too. And, at that, if outlets like Kotaku and Joystiq and the 'big ones' get a hold of it after say seeing it on Penny Arcade and stuff, you could get massive amounts of attention, and presumably someone who's willing to donate a lot for it. (or pay a lot for it)

Drkirby said:
Really, the nerf was quiet small, all it did was make the slowdown have fall off. The spin up time shouldn't make to much difference.

I will be shocked if the Jag doesn't have a Nerf of any kind though. 30% faster building is quiet the gain for a very small trade off IMO.
The Jag is buggy right now

Sometimes it builds faster, and sometimes it doesn't. Personally, when I used it, it didn't work on my Sentry, but build my Dispenser really fast. Other people report the opposite, while some say it doesn't work on anything for them.

The_Technomancer said:
No, what he's saying is that the Eyelander/Targe effectivly almost makes the Demoman into two separate classes. I kind of agree, all of the other weapons preserve the class roles, they just provide alternative options.
The guy already had a bottle as a melee weapon, I don't think it's too wild to just think of it like a melee attack with a charge.

I get what you're all saying, but at the same time, the same people that are complaining about weapons being too similar to the originals are the same people saying other weapons are too different. Let's make up our minds!

It's pretty obvious Valve sees TF2 as their WOW, and by next year, we'll see thousands of similar weapons as well as more wacky off-the-wall weapons, just like you would in WOW where there are millions of similar armor pieces and weapons and a few crazy ass awesome things.

Dacvak said:
I got the thumbs up from Valve to auction off the vintage companion cube pin for charity.

I was thinking just an ebay auction for Child's Play. Also, does anyone know if this is the rarest item on TF2?
If you're doing it for Child's Play, set up a website for this and get in touch with Penny Arcade. They'll link it and it'll be huge. They would also help with how you should do the bidding.

Yeef

My only beef with TF2 now vs vanilla is that it uses so much more processing power compared to just about every other game. Playing the beta I notice a great improvement in my FPS, which leads me to believe that all of the crazy hats are to blame.

Yeef said:
My only beef with TF2 now vs vanilla is that it uses so much more processing power compared to just about every other game. Playing the beta I notice a great improvement in my FPS, which leads me to believe that all of the crazy hats are to blame.
Does the beta drop the DX8 requirement? Because that's a big part of why TF2 needs so much. L4D only runs on DX9 or above and doesn't need as much power despite looking much better.

corn_fest

Kuro Madoushi said:
Sigh...

So, TF2 is uninstalled and my items were given away.

You guys have been great! I'll see ya on other games!
whaaaaat

Were you guys really put off by the recent updates that much?
I don't like some of the directions they've been taking, but I still feel like the game is fun, so I haven't quite given up yet.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
corn_fest said:
whaaaaat

Were you guys really put off by the recent updates that much?
I don't like some of the directions they've been taking, but I still feel like the game is fun, so I haven't quite given up yet.

Nothing to do with the updates :p

Just wanted to spend more time and energy looking for a better job and perhaps a part time course to get out of this shitty job.

Spent 1600hours and not one second of that was idling. I could've really used that time better. God...this game really is crack and I really got my money's worth out of it!

corn_fest

Kuro Madoushi said:

Just wanted to spend more time and energy looking for a better job and perhaps a part time course to get out of this shitty job.

Spent 1600hours and not one second of that was idling. I could've really used that time better. God...this game really is crack and I really got my money's worth out of it!
Well, that's good to hear.
Good luck. :)

So my internet connection here at home is wi-fi, and it's really shitty and laggy and nowhere as good as my internet connection at school was, so I think I'm going to skip out on playing TF2 for vacation. I'll be back next semester, don't worry.

All the new update hats and Boston Basher are now added to the drop system and the store, as of a few minutes ago.

Also prancer's pride was fixed in the holiday crate. Before it was impossible to find, but it now functions properly. It's also been added to the store and drop system, so no need to open crates.

EDIT:

ALL new weapons and hats have been added to the store and drop system

So other than the higher chance of getting an unusual, there's not really a point in opening a holiday crate.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kuro Madoushi said:

Yeah I'm getting a bit like this and I've only done 800 hours or so. Thinking of going back to Uni and getting another degree in something that I enjoy, rather than for a simple occupation instance. Spend far too much time dealing with online games and not enough on reading and furthering my education and skills.

You know the other team sucks when...

BWCwO.jpg

kenta

Has no PEINS
So the wiki shows a bunch of the new hats as being craftable but doesn't list blueprints. Do people have to experiment to find the blueprints or have they not even been released yet?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kenta said:
So the wiki shows a bunch of the new hats as being craftable but doesn't list blueprints. Do people have to experiment to find the blueprints or have they not even been released yet?
I don't see it, most likely someone jumping the gun to think the new set hats (Which aren't required for the sets, they just look nice) would have recipes.

kenta said:
when the Wiki says a hat is craftable, it only means that you can get it by either crafted 3 refined, or two hats together. Those recipes are random though.

The only real hat recipes are the set hats for the original 5 sets, the two Halloween hats, the Saxton Hale Mask, and the Bonk Helmet.

If there's no specific recipe listed on the wiki page, it doesn't have a guarenteed recipe.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Bleh, I wish hats had specific goals or achievements associated with them. I started playing TF2 when it got released for Mac and it was super fun to unlock weapons by pursuing achievements, didn't have to rely on crafts or drops. Wish I still had objectives and rewards to play towards

Like, why not grant a class-specific hat for every 1000 points you earn as that class? Or a set number of point captures as Scout or air juggles as Soldier or Demoman or something

So I found my parents had an ethernet cable lying around the house, and when I use it the internet connection is at least 2 times better than the wi-fi, so I might be able to play some TF2 this vacation after all.

Twig

Banned
kenta said:
Bleh, I wish hats had specific goals or achievements associated with them. I started playing TF2 when it got released for Mac and it was super fun to unlock weapons by pursuing achievements, didn't have to rely on crafts or drops. Wish I still had objectives and rewards to play towards

Like, why not grant a class-specific hat for every 1000 points you earn as that class? Or a set number of point captures as Scout or air juggles as Soldier or Demoman or something
I'd like that, too, but I think Valve's problem with this approach is that it rewards the "good" players more than the "bad" players, which they absolutely do not want to happen.

MNC

Twig said:
I'd like that, too, but I think Valve's problem with this approach is that it rewards the "good" players more than the "bad" players, which they absolutely do not want to happen.
Aren't they still doing this by allowing achievements to get weapons earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom