• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Twig said:
I'd like that, too, but I think Valve's problem with this approach is that it rewards the "good" players more than the "bad" players, which they absolutely do not want to happen.
I can see how it might be something they'd want to avoid, but stuff like that could also incentivize "bad" players to begin learning and using tricks that they otherwise wouldn't learn or use. Or it could help emphasize teamwork or playing the classes in a certain way, etc

I just want to have a carrot dangling in front of me again, really. Right now the carrot can randomly turn out to be rotten or ripe and I'd just like something more reliable to play towards

The Fists of Steel and Jag recipes have now been found. The recipes for the new items are now all found. They are:

Amputator: Vita-Saw + 2x Reclaimed
Crusador's Crossbow: Hunstman + 2x Reclaimed

Warrior's Spirit: GRU + 2x Reclaimed
Buffalo Steak: Sandvich + Crit-a-Cola
Brass Beast: Natasha + 2x Reclaimed
Fists of Steel: GRU + 2x Scrap

Loch-n-Load: Scottish Res + 2x Reclaimed
Ullapool Caber: Sandman + 2x Reclaimed
Claheadmoor: Charge n Targe + Homewrecker

Jag: Southern Hospitality + 2x Scrap

Candy Cane: Kritzkreig + Pain Train
Boston Basher: Tribalman's Shiv + Sandman

Backscratcher: Axtinguisher + Scot Skullcutter

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
balladofwindfishes said:
The Fists of Steel and Jag recipes have now been found. The recipes for the new items are now all found. They are:

Sweet, I have a lot of the material for stuff I want. Jag ahoy!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
balladofwindfishes said:

Hurray for recipes that don't use reclaimed metal!

Yeef

Honestly, there's nothing I want of the new weapons that make them worth crafting. I'd rather just wait for them to drop. I was interested in the medic set, the Jag and the new Scout bat and candy cane, but I already have everything from that other than the bat and cane. I don't really play Heavy much so those items are just a novelty to me and the new Demo items aren't very good (they'll probably be tweaked at some point).

Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Updates Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2: DM)

Fixed an engine crash caused by too many precached models in some community maps.

Day of Defeat: Source

Fixed an exploit where clients could prevent weapons from recoiling properly.

Team Fortress 2

Added several crafting recipes for new weapons.
Added a ton of items to the store.
Added a ton of items to the random drop list.
The following hats are now paintable or have had their paintability improved: Pyromancer's Mask, Detective Noir, Madame Dixie, Buckaroos Hat, German Gonzila, Flipped Trilby, Coupe D'isaster
Fixed a spelling error on the "Pyromancer's Mask".
Corrected the name of the "Claidheamh Mòr" to the joy of our Celtic players.
Made "Le Party Phantom" a misc slot item.
Fixed a client crash caused by custom stats panels.
Fixed a bug where some new items weren't being dropped correctly.
Removed displaying the top 10 players in the leaderboard if you have never won a duel.
Updated the localization files.
Fixed a regression in Tournament Mode item whitelists.
Also added "mp_tournament_whitelist", a convar that allows servers to specify a whitelist file to use.

Commence the Spy mask clipping with the Fez :)

An unusual Le Party Phantom is probably now the most uncommon tradeable item in the game. By coding, misc items can't be found as unusual. Because the Phantom is now misc, though, it was able to be unusual for a brief few days.

corn_fest

sElzW.jpg

Hey Yeef! Thanks, man.

My god, I suck horribly with Scout :lol

I've killed more in a round with medic(gun) than with him; I'd like to get better since I have lots of fun with it.

Can you guys give me some tips?

Darn it, so I've been trying to play TF2 tonight, but Steam keeps trying to validate my TF2 files, then telling me the Steam servers are too busy to process my request, making me start all over again...

cooljeanius said:
Darn it, so I've been trying to play TF2 tonight, but Steam keeps trying to validate my TF2 files, then telling me the Steam servers are too busy to process my request, making me start all over again...

Change your server location to Ukraine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
My god, I suck horribly with Scout :lol

I've killed more in a round with medic(gun) than with him; I'd like to get better since I have lots of fun with it.

Can you guys give me some tips?
Don't fight more than 2 people at once. Try to surprise attack/attack from the flanks.

If you're about to die, RUN AWAY. Don't let the 'oh I'll just respawn' mentality give you a high risk and stupid mindset.

Your regular gun can kill pretty much everything in two hits if you're right up to them. Thus, if you see someone who doesn't notice you, GET RIGHT IN THERE and take a meat shot. I remember I was chasing solly in a tunnel. If I'd taken a shot, he would've turned around and fragged me. I get right up to him and take two shots before he even has time to react.

If you're forced to fight front line (you're doing it wrong), try to stay a healthy distance away and weaken them with shots and your gun.

Know where the health is since a medic isn't usually going to take his time out to heal a scout. I'd only do it if you were on fire and about to die, otherwise, you're fast...go find your own damn health.

More advanced.

Work on positioning and aiming. I've taken out two heavies once cause they were just in bad positions. I'd pop out of a corner to get a meat shot in, and duck out before they could do anything. Did it three times to take one out. The other was struggling to jump up stairs. He had no chance. I've seen really good scouts fuck up heavies by jumping on their heads.

Don't jump around like an idiot. Try to be a bit unpredictable. I fragged a lot of n00bs cause they think jumping is a good way to dodge. It makes you extremely predictable since I KNOW where you're going to be. I'd often wait for the person to land and blast them with my shotgun. You even have time to reload while this happens. Be extra careful fighting other scouts and double-jumping. I usually stayed on the ground and danced or jumped to the side, land, and quickly jump in another direction. One thing I learned from Boonoo is that if you jump backwards against someone who knows what they're doing, you're fucked.

You're a scout....so 'scout'. He's generally not a fighting class, so use your speed to get info, chase spies down, cap those points, and push those carts. I remember one time I was behind Blu as a Red scout. Everybody kept on fighting, but I capped and won the match since that's what you're SUPPOSED to do.

Know who you match up against. If it's a demo/spy/sniper, get in there and fuck their shit up. If it's a pyro/solly/scout be aware of your surroundings and stay out of their range. If it's a combo (medic healing someone) try to take the medic out. Even if you die afterwards, a medic kill is worth it. If it's a heavy...this is tricky. If he's got the drop on you, you gotta run. If you've got the drop on him and can't escape, try to get in close and meatshot the fattie. If you're at a medium distance...it would depend on how good you are. Me, I'd run, but I've seen scouts at that range mess heavies up who couldn't aim.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Don't fight more than 2 people at once. Try to surprise attack/attack from the flanks.

If you're about to die, RUN AWAY. Don't let the 'oh I'll just respawn' mentality give you a high risk and stupid mindset.

Your regular gun can kill pretty much everything in two hits if you're right up to them. Thus, if you see someone who doesn't notice you, GET RIGHT IN THERE and take a meat shot. I remember I was chasing solly in a tunnel. If I'd taken a shot, he would've turned around and fragged me. I get right up to him and take two shots before he even has time to react.

If you're forced to fight front line (you're doing it wrong), try to stay a healthy distance away and weaken them with shots and your gun.

Know where the health is since a medic isn't usually going to take his time out to heal a scout. I'd only do it if you were on fire and about to die, otherwise, you're fast...go find your own damn health.

More advanced.

Work on positioning and aiming. I've taken out two heavies once cause they were just in bad positions. I'd pop out of a corner to get a meat shot in, and duck out before they could do anything. Did it three times to take one out. The other was struggling to jump up stairs. He had no chance. I've seen really good scouts fuck up heavies by jumping on their heads.

Don't jump around like an idiot. Try to be a bit unpredictable. I fragged a lot of n00bs cause they think jumping is a good way to dodge. It makes you extremely predictable since I KNOW where you're going to be. I'd often wait for the person to land and blast them with my shotgun. You even have time to reload while this happens. Be extra careful fighting other scouts and double-jumping. I usually stayed on the ground and danced or jumped to the side, land, and quickly jump in another direction. One thing I learned from Boonoo is that if you jump backwards against someone who knows what they're doing, you're fucked.

You're a scout....so 'scout'. He's generally not a fighting class, so use your speed to get info, chase spies down, cap those points, and push those carts. I remember one time I was behind Blu as a Red scout. Everybody kept on fighting, but I capped and won the match since that's what you're SUPPOSED to do.

Know who you match up against. If it's a demo/spy/sniper, get in there and fuck their shit up. If it's a pyro/solly/scout be aware of your surroundings and stay out of their range. If it's a combo (medic healing someone) try to take the medic out. Even if you die afterwards, a medic kill is worth it. If it's a heavy...this is tricky. If he's got the drop on you, you gotta run. If you've got the drop on him and can't escape, try to get in close and meatshot the fattie. If you're at a medium distance...it would depend on how good you are. Me, I'd run, but I've seen scouts at that range mess heavies up who couldn't aim.
Thanks for the advice. After I read this I was about to jump in the game, but Steam is, uhm, 'updating' the game at 8 GB? Don't know why is that, but I can't play for tonight I guess.

I'll watch some Scout videos if I get a better idea in the mean time.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it didn't recognized my files? But it's updating something around 350 mb.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Great news for Le Party Phantom. I take it Steel Works again also?

Maybe Valve will allow for other Unusual Misc Items to be findable now. A Flaming Distinguished Gentlemen would be quiet nice.

Blizzard

Banned
It may be bad strategically, but the demoman grenade stick is hilarious. According to the wiki it does up to 405 damage for a critical (i.e. charge) hit, and apparently like 240 damage for just a normal hit. Meleeing is entertaining since you know if you don't hit a wall, and you don't hit an overhealed person, and you don't hit a heavy, they WILL die in one hit, and you may also take out a building or another player next to them. :lol

(._.)

Banned
Game is incredibly bloated for me at the moment. I missed the update weekend but had some spending money so I purchased the new stuff for the classes I play. Not really feeling many of the new items :\

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IMO they should still make achievements have some worth. Maybe each achievement is equivalent to a point, and you can buy items with those points.

Yasae

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
You can lag all kinds of shit with jumping. Rockets, stickies, certainly bullets of any kind.

"I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall; men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air; yet, their strength, and their speed, are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong, or as fast, as *you* can be."

I guess we'll see how much this is true since my ping just dropped 70ms.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
You can lag all kinds of shit with jumping. Rockets, stickies, certainly bullets of any kind.

"I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall; men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air; yet, their strength, and their speed, are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong, or as fast, as *you* can be."

I guess we'll see how much this is true since my ping just dropped 70ms.
Eh...I'm speaking from playing a lot against comp soldiers who know what they're doing. So the servers usually had low ping so you couldn't rely on lag to save your bacon. I swear, there are just some players out there so experienced that you just have to back away and try not to fight them too close one-on-one

Blizzard

Banned
jediyoshi said:
2 of my 3 festive crates so far were Jags ]:
You people need to trade me. I don't have a jag or an extra southern hospitality, but I do have two winter crates and like 6 normal crates of various levels. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blizzard said:
You people need to trade me. I don't have a jag or an extra southern hospitality, but I do have two winter crates and like 6 normal crates of various levels. :lol
Don't you 1up my deal! :mad:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I crafted a Jag with untradeable scrap Metal. I fugued I wasn't ever going to trade it away, and why waste good metal.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
That is because an update just hit.
DARNIT, apparently I missed a good heavy glitch, too. Apparently you could combine the GRU speed boost and meat speed boost before?

Also, I still <3 Ms. Pauling.

TF2 Blog said:
P.S.: Miss Pauling has stated her desire to gift each of you with a "stocking stuffer." I have decided to allow her this unbecoming demonstration of affection. Perhaps when she is exposed to the full force of your indifference Miss Pauling's misplaced sense of devotion will wither and die much like my interest in continuing this correspondence.

Forkball

Oh snap, they are giving away a free key. I got it when I joined a server just now. It can open up any normal or festive crate.

So I can't understand why anyone would risk the Boston Basher. It doesn't even do more damage per strike, it's just got a standard bleed effect that applies to you any time the game decides you've missed your swing. That's really easy to do, particularly with the way the game handles melee, especially in crowds (hitting a team mate counts as a miss). As some people have pointed out, it's good for helping Medics charge ubercharge, but that's clearly not the point of it.

Also, just noticed this blog update:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4822&p=1 said:
Additional time has been awarded
December 22, 2010 - The Administrator

double_drop_rate.jpg

How I do love the holiday season. A time of year that makes the sweet things in life seem so much the sweeter. A time when ignoring the mournful cries of a litter of famished puppies provides the deep satisfaction of labored accomplishment. A time when delivering a sharp kick to the exposed shin of a desperate beggar takes on a certain character of charity. A time when sending one's witless minions repeatedly to their deaths at the hands of their equally witless enemies provides an unrivaled and noble joy.

So it is that in a fit of holiday induced discomposure I requested that Mr. Hale increase his shipments of weapons and equipment for exactly one week. Do not, my dear reader, interpret this as a sign of approval. Do not mistake me for thinking you worthy of this gift. I am merely attempting to ensure that you are properly equipped for the duties that you are required to fulfill as detailed in the contract that each of you signed. There are control points that need capturing, intelligence that needs recovering, and hats to be secured.

For those of you with more beard on your necks than sense in your heads -- those of you who feel compelled to analyze my every word with the exacting scrutiny of the socially disenfranchised -- I will provide the tedious technical details. From December 23rd to December 30th, a period of exactly one week, the rate at which items drop will be doubled. You might call this a "Double Drop Rate Week," but I call it an act of mercy. After all, we can't very well send you charging into battle without a proper gun now can we?

- The Administrator

P.S.: Miss Pauling has stated her desire to gift each of you with a "stocking stuffer." I have decided to allow her this unbecoming demonstration of affection. Perhaps when she is exposed to the full force of your indifference Miss Pauling's misplaced sense of devotion will wither and die much like my interest in continuing this correspondence.

Yeef

Updating the GAF server now. It should be up in a few minutes.

[Edit] Server up!

tf2.langui.sh for fools that don't know and/or remember. Make sure you add it to your favorites!

Blizzard

Banned
I like the fists of steel, and I must experiment more with them, as well as the steak, to see what amusing playstyles I can find.

Tragically, the demo grenade stick doesn't seem to kill a level 3 sentry gun in one hit. :( I think it killed like two other buildings in the blast, but I missed the gun with my pipes once my hit knocked me into the air, and the engineer might have stayed on it.

For those wondering what to do with their free key, remember that series 9 crates or winter crates probably have the best odds right now. Winter crates might have a higher chance of special effect hats (maybe just a rumor), or at the least you might get a new item that's useful for trading or whatever. Series 9 crates are filled with nothing but paint and hats if I recall correctly, so you'll at least get something semi-unique.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Forkball said:
Oh snap, they are giving away a free key. I got it when I joined a server just now. It can open up any normal or festive crate.
I got it too.

I UNCRATED AN UNUSUAL DETECTIVE NOIR WITH GREEN CONFETTI.

FUCK YES I BELIEVE IN KARMA NOW.

Blizzard

Banned
Dreavus said:
Opened the Fists of steel with my key. Kinda been itching to try these out so I guess now I'll have my chance!
Everyone was running around and using them for melee (which is terrible if the enemy actually remembers to melee you), but I did manage to protect my medic with them once. You can run away while your medic hides behind you, and the gloves will tank fun amounts of sentry/heavy fire while you escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom