• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef said:
It's so frustrating when your team is full of people that don't know how to deal with sentries. Especially when the other team has 4 engineers.For every 3 sentries I destroyed 6 more appeared.
Clive and I were on a valve server yesterday... jesus christ... red team had 3 sentries. Some guy on blu kept wanting to scramble teams and another guy kept yelling about engies and trying to get everyone to switch to spy. It was a massive clusterfuck.

Yeef said:
It's so frustrating when your team is full of people that don't know how to deal with sentries. Especially when the other team has 4 engineers.For every 3 sentries I destroyed 6 more appeared.

More frustrating is when nobody helps the engineer fend off a spy.

Also engineers that build only at the last point in 5cp. Credit to the fucking team. They don't even have the decency to build a teleporter.

Obsessed said:

Also engineers that build only at the last point in 5cp. Credit to the fucking team. They don't even have the decency to build a teleporter.

MAN I SUCK....2 days in and I am guilty of doing both things that you guys are raging against (your statement and the one a couple pages ago about pyros)....guess ill stick with wiki/this thread and offline for a bit more. (played a round on a valve srver yesterday and was worthless)

JackFrost said:
MAN I SUCK....2 days in and I am guilty of doing both things that you guys are raging against (your statement and the one a couple pages ago about pyros)....guess ill stick with wiki/this thread and offline for a bit more. (played a round on a valve srver yesterday and was worthless)

dude if you play online you can learn valueable things on classes and you get alot better than just using bots trust me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:

I never understood those engies...granted, it's nice to be safe, but, I prefer to build BEFORE the last point to make those bastards pay for every inch. After they get that ground, it's hard to get it back.

JackEtc

Yeef said:
Yeef, were you just playing on some Valve servers (the Start Playing servers)? I was playing with someone named Yeef a few games ago.

cluto

JackFrost said:
Maybe try starting as a more supportive engineer when there are 2 - 3 other engineers on your team. Help them upgrade/repair their buildings and spy check, then when you have a chance, build your own dispenser and sentry nearby. Watch where they put their buildings and what they're doing. Then again, I don't usually play Engineer so I might not have the best advice.

tangmaster96 said:
dude if you play online you can learn valueable things on classes and you get alot better than just using bots trust me.
Yeah the few times I played it is alot more fun/intense online.....I just HATE being "that dude". When i get a better grasp on the maps ill jump in.

cluto said:
Maybe try starting as a more supportive engineer when there are 2 - 3 other engineers on your team. Help them upgrade/repair their buildings and spy check, then when you have a chance, build your own dispenser and sentry nearby. Watch where they put their buildings and what they're doing. Then again, I don't usually play Engineer so I might not have the best advice.
I only used engineer a few times to try them out and went into auto mode....took to long to get a sentry up at first point so scaled back one and that continued till i said fukit last point it is. Im glad i got the transporter correct though. dropped one right at spawn and exited at a nice back spot by 1st point.

JackFrost said:
Play online. Bots really don't help at all, and bots don't even try things a normal player will.

You came at a good time, there are many horrible players that came with the F2P update, so worrying about holding back your team is the last thing you should think about.

Yeef

JackEtc said:
Yeef, were you just playing on some Valve servers (the Start Playing servers)? I was playing with someone named Yeef a few games ago.
Yeah. That was probably me. What map?

Just played a few games on upward, sawmill and viaduct.

JackFrost said:

Don't worry, (probably) everyone makes those mistakes when starting out. Personally, I'm still making terrible Valve-server newb level mistakes. Don't play offline though. You learn a lot more playing with real people.

Also since I mostly play Medic on the GAF server (unless I want to dick around with spy) I'm asking you guys for constructive criticism whenever we play. I've learned my lesson about ubering pyros for sure. The only Pyro I shall uber from now on is Jangaroo.

Any tips on when to flee vs fight?

Yeef said:
It's so frustrating when your team is full of people that don't know how to deal with sentries.

Dude, I was on a Valve server last night, and Red was holding my entire team off with 2 mini sentries. I must of destroyed them 50 times, but my team refused to push the damn cart. UGH

Acerac

Banned
awwyeahgurrl said:
I've been text idling with my own account and an alt and I've found almost nothing so far. Around 6 or so items on my alt and I've found like 2/3 on my main, is there anything up with the text idling or has everyone been getting their drops fine.
Text idling has been janky for me as well. Personally I just idle against bots now. It only takes a minute to set up and gets you your items guaranteed.
Yeef said:
This is exactly why I go engy when I feel it necessary to carry a team on a Valve server.

On occasion you'll get people who can deal with them. More often than not however, you'll get tons of free kills while your sentry walls the entire opposing team.

Uriah said:
I wonder if the enforcer is going to get a nerf soon. It's a straight upgrade with the dead ringer.
nooooo my aim is too poor to use the ambassador.

It totally deserves a nerf. >_>

ArtistDude88 said:
Dude, I was on a Valve server last night, and Red was holding my entire team off with 2 mini sentries. I must of destroyed them 50 times, but my team refused to push the damn cart. UGH

lol i thought f2p players where gettin better

Obsessed said:
Don't worry, (probably) everyone makes those mistakes when starting out. Personally, I'm still making terrible Valve-server newb level mistakes. Don't play offline though. You learn a lot more playing with real people.

I said screw it and jumped on real quick...it is a helluva lot better online and didnt do to bad.....we won the 2games I played. I scored a achievement or 2, picked up somesorta gun I cant use apparently, and got like 6th in points (bout 1/2 of top team player, but higher then the other 1/2 of ppl, though im sure alot were lttp). but feel good though cause did my job putting fire out, bouncing meds that were supporting heavies, catching spies trying to rape sentries, 2 axe kills, and basically playing as support instead of rambo (thanks to the rage post from the other page lol).
feelsgoodman

I see all sorts of customization available...is that mostly drops,pay or a combo of both?....I hate running stock in ANY game and i see me playing this for a little while at least (and I really want that flame shotgun thing)

JackFrost said:
I said screw it and jumped on real quick...it is a helluva lot better online and didnt do to bad.....we won the 2games I played. I scored a achievement or 2, picked up somesorta gun I cant use apparently, and got like 6th in points (bout 1/2 of top team player, but higher then the other 1/2 of ppl, though im sure alot were lttp). but feel good though cause did my job putting fire out, bouncing meds that were supporting heavies, catching spies trying to rape sentries, 2 axe kills, and basically playing as support instead of rambo (thanks to the rage post from the other page lol).
feelsgoodman

I see all sorts of customization available...is that mostly drops,pay or a combo of both?....I hate running stock in ANY game and i see me playing this for a little while at least (and I really want that flame shotgun thing)

You can get pretty much every item from drops, or crafting. Some people might buy them though. The Flare Gun can be unlocked by getting 10-20 Pyro achievements, but it also might drop naturally. Someone might also have a spare and you can trade stuff for it.

And don't feel bad about using the stock loadouts. In many cases they are superior. The only big exception is Pyro in which case you want the Backburner or Degreaser + Axetinguisher.

edit:

I went into a Valve server with the Fez. Holy shit it was amazing. It was amazing until everyone on my fucking team decided to also switch to spy. No... we don't need 5 spies and 2 medics on a team of 10.

edit2:

By the way if I am a Spy and I jump on top of an enemy sentry it can't shoot me right?

Acerac

Banned
JackFrost said:
feelsgoodman

Good to hear that you were playing smart. Even if nobody calls you out for it, people do notice, and they do appreciate it.

Any weapon you can buy from the store you can craft or (other than 2 weapons that are no different other than cosmetically) have drop. Stock weapons are pretty amazing in this game for most classes (not pyro, their base flamethrower is weak) but if you want to change it up most classes have good alt weapons as well.

If you plan to spend money, DO NOT BUY WEAPONS OR HATS. They are far too expensive from the store, and those of us who have tons of weapons will trade them to you for next to nothing. What you should do is buy keys, not for opening crates, but for trading. One key will easily get you 20+ weapons in trade value. Starting out they are by far the best bang for your buck.

Remember, don't use the keys on crates, you can almost always trade keys for multiple items from any given crate. People value them so high because of the 1 in 100 chance at a rare hat drop. Therefore, unless you feel like gambling with pretty sketchy odds, trading keys will be your best bet with your money every time.

I just got a server and it only had two people on it. The next map began with me by myself, and I beat them 19 points to 1 each (they were a Heavy medic combo) both rounds.

Then it switched to a KOTH map, and I won the whole thing, dominated them both, and only got killed once when I let one of them melee kill me.

I was a Scout.

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I just got a server and it only had two people on it. The next map began with me by myself, and I beat them 19 points to 1 each (they were a Heavy medic combo) both rounds.

Then it switched to a KOTH map, and I won the whole thing, dominated them both, and only got killed once when I let one of them melee kill me.

I was a Scout.
Heavy medic needs buff, nerf scout plz.

Scouts may be the most annoying class in the world, but at least mini sentries can still slightly annoy them in return.

EmCeeGramr said:

I was a Scout.

To be fair a fairly good Scout is practically invincible unless you have good aim.

Obsessed said:
Also since I mostly play Medic on the GAF server (unless I want to dick around with spy) I'm asking you guys for constructive criticism whenever we play. I've learned my lesson about ubering pyros for sure. The only Pyro I shall uber from now on is Jangaroo.

Any tips on when to flee vs fight?

I'm interested in some as well. I jump around a bunch of classes but Medic has around 20 hours while the others haven't even broken 10 yet, so I think it's sorta my "main" class. I could use constructive criticism as well, unfortunately the Gaf server is barely open when I play so I rarely get a chance to team up with you guys.

Speaking of which, I need some Steam friends. If anyone is interested hit me up or give me your account name. My Steam name is TKAwsome.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
EmCeeGramr said:

I was a Scout.

Obviously, this means that scout needs a nerf.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Uriah said:
I wonder if the enforcer is going to get a nerf soon. It's a straight upgrade with the dead ringer.
Surprised it hasn't already. I've killed Heavies with one on one confrontations with this gun. Heavies. HEAVIES

Forkball

Yeef said:
Players always get the spotlight in replays, but not today! Let's celebrate the unsung heroes of the game in this week's Replay Roundup™!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVU8pexJVR0&hd=1]Ghosts[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t2zfWP_TcQ&hd=1]Balls[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cb1PZVepBI&hd=1]Carts[/url]

Your hyperlink skills are unparalleled.
Ghost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVU8pexJVR0&hd=1
Ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t2zfWP_TcQ&hd=1
Cart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cb1PZVepBI&hd=1

So I guess we will get a patch to make the Quake stuff craftable. What's next? Deus Ex promo? Warhammer? Bastion? Something that actually isn't a promo and improves the gameplay?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For medic questions, ask pet (rar on gaf)

Or add me on steam.
kuro_madoushi
I'm on often enough or look for me on Javaman, Yeef, or Remy's list.

Ketch

Hey everybody, just dropping in to say fuck you with love from Africa!

Home of the hippo... and the refugee.

I'll be back on the server in like 2 months or something. Everyone kill a Javaman for me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EasyTGT said:

I'll be back on the server in like 2 months or something. Everyone kill a Javaman for me.
Love you with fuck!

...wait...ummm...see ya in two months and be safe.

Clydefrog

EasyTGT said:

Never really thought about it, but I guess you're right. Are hippos only found on the African continent?

Yasae

Banned
EasyTGT said:

So that's where you were.

Well, TOO BAD. Your job won't be waiting for you when you come back.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So when are the Quakecon items going to become tradable? Figured they would be today but not yet. Have a friend whos going to give me The Original and The Anger hat since he doesnt play TF2

:p

Uriah

In trying to obtain the polycount hats I have performed numerous trades on TF2 Trading Post. I have become the very thing I despised.

Bakphoon

Uriah said:
In trying to obtain the polycount hats I have performed numerous trades on TF2 Trading Post. I have become the very thing I despised.

I know that feel.. i traded a key to get a tyrant's helm on a trading server :(

Fox318

Zerokku said:
So when are the Quakecon items going to become tradable? Figured they would be today but not yet. Have a friend whos going to give me The Original and The Anger hat since he doesnt play TF2

:p
Does he have a TF2 premium account?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Fox318 said:
Does he have a TF2 premium account?

Yup. Gotten stuff from him before. He loves what valves done with the game in concept, but just doesn't find it fun so I usually get any stuff he has.

Zerokku said:
Yup. Gotten stuff from him before. He loves what valves done with the game in concept, but just doesn't find it fun so I usually get any stuff he has.
After all this time, I finally "get" your avatar. :(

Forkball

Professor Beef said:
After all this time, I finally "get" your avatar. :(
It still doesn't make sense. Why is a Pikachu disguising as a Weedle? Is it so another Pokemon will attack him with a move strong against Bug? Or is he trying to scare Psychic Pokemon?

Top Bottom