• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Forkball said:
It still doesn't make sense. Why is a Pikachu disguising as a Weedle? Is it so another Pokemon will attack him with a move strong against Bug? Or is he trying to scare Psychic Pokemon?

Thats like asking why a French spy is disguising as a scottish demoman.

Acerac

Banned
Professor Beef said:
After all this time, I finally "get" your avatar. :(
It is a pretty awesome avatar when you finally understand, isn't it?
Forkball said:
It still doesn't make sense. Why is a Pikachu disguising as a Weedle? Is it so another Pokemon will attack him with a move strong against Bug? Or is he trying to scare Psychic Pokemon?
Or maybe so he's not considered a threat. All perfectly good explanations.

Acerac said:
It is a pretty awesome avatar when you finally understand, isn't it?

Or maybe so he's not considered a threat. All perfectly good explanations.

But Pikachu is already not a threat in the games, even with a Light Ball.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Acerac said:
Pikachu's level randomizes before each battle.

That would explain ...a lot actually

Edit: And what is with this server and payload? Its shitty, boring, and linear. Like FFXIII.

Acerac

Banned
The moment I accepted that as a fact was the moment I stopped being confused that he'd lose to random unevolved wild flying pokemon or (I've not seen this one, but I've heard about it) trainers having their first battle ever.

Uriah

Zerokku said:

Edit: And what is with this server and payload? Its shitty, boring, and linear. Like FFXIII.

What, you don't like a hour long match of Thunder Mountain?

Zerokku said:

What else are you going to play? GAF hates 5cp (STALEMATE), the only Attack/Defend map we play is Gorge (I think, I don't remember playing another one occasionaly), we hate most ctf maps (Doublecross is the one that always appear), lol Arena (Spectator Arena).

Well, you guys can play KOTH.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Payload can be a great mode. Badwater Basin is good. I think Thunder Mountain is as well. Really Payload feels like it has the same general pacing as Attack/Defend, which is the other major mode I love.
5cp can be fun but if your two teams are evenly matched it stalls out even more then Hightower.
Capture the Flag is a pretty bad mode for TF2 in general because there are only a handfull of classes that can capture the flag effectively.

KotH is fun. Not sure what more I can say about that, except that I think Lakeside kinda sucks.

Acerac

Banned
Sorry for the mistake, I had mentioned it before on the server and was told that it wasn't an option. Perhaps I had been misinformed.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)
Rickenslacker said:

Oh wow, it's right there? I never look at that screen midmatch. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Uriah

Sgt.Pepper said:
What else are you going to play? GAF hates 5cp (STALEMATE), the only Attack/Defend map we play is Gorge (I think, I don't remember playing another one occasionaly), we hate most ctf maps (Doublecross is the one that always appear), lol Arena (Spectator Arena).

Well, you guys can play KOTH.

5cp is the best. I hope Valve adds more game modes soon though.

Yeef

I like all modes (except TC), but I hate shitty maps. That said, Payload tends to take longer than the other modes, so we spend more time playing payload than other modes, even if we play an equal number of maps.

I like Arena, but the problem is the way it handles teams. Basically, it takes the maximum number of server slots and divides it by 3 to make 3 even-sized teams. So, on a 24 person server you've got 3 teams of 8. it always fills up the two playing teams before adding people to the bench team.

Team A and B fight while team C spectates. When one team loses the benched team gets swapped in. The way to get around that is to increase the maximum player count, but only during arena maps. On the old server we could do that no problem, but with the current hosting we pay for slots, so we'd need to pay for the extra slots and even then it'd still be limited to 10 players per team with 4 people sitting out on a full server.

The way the server is set up now, arena shouldn't come up in a vote if there are more than 12 people on the server unless someone nominates it. Not sure if it's working properly, since i don't pay that much attention and arena never wins votes anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
I like payload, KOTH (short games!), I guess AD, and generally dislike 5cp (stalemates etc.). Payload race is eh, sometimes okay.

Yes, thunder mountain is super long. One advantage of payload maps in my opinion is that you fight in different areas of the map, or in thunder mountain's case, different maps entirely. With a 40-minute hightower round, or 20-30 minute 5cp round, it feels like you're on a smaller and less varied area to me. At least with 5cp the map changes as you go along, but it's symmetrical either way.

I miss goldrush and dustbowl. Haven't played them in nigh on 15 years!

I dislike 5cp because there's stalemates!

*likes Payload and Payload race, modes literally designed around stalemate gameplay*

I hate Bellsouth so much right now.

There is no reason (nobody is downloading anything in my house) that my ping should ever reach 900+

Obsessed said:
I hate Bellsouth so much right now.

There is no reason (nobody is downloading anything in my house) that my ping should ever reach 900+

wow i thought mine was bad
when someone downloads somthin i get 300 ping

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just had a hilarious rage-quit from a hacker getting called out. Wished I saved the audio.

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I dislike 5cp because there's stalemates!

*likes Payload and Payload race, modes literally designed around stalemate gameplay*
Payload race used to be the worst at stalemate, since hightower, for instance, has no time limit at all unless the server imposes one and it actually works.

Normal payload is fine though, since each segment has 5-10 minute (or less) bonus times. Fail badly, lose in 5-10 minutes. Do a bit better, earn yourself 15 minutes or so.

Compare to 5cp, however, where each point capture adds another 5-10 minutes, just when time was about to run out, and you can keep going back and forth and adding time (unless a server time limit is imposed, again).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Obsessed said:
You play on servers that aren't VAC secured?

It happened on the US GAF server. I'm not 100% sure if the guy was actually hacking but he flipped out in a hilarious manner.

Pancakes said:
It happened on the US GAF server. I'm not 100% sure if the guy was actually hacking but he flipped out in a hilarious manner.

Oh what? Damn I wish I was there for that. What exactly was he doing that made it seem like he was hacking?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Pancakes said:
Just had a hilarious rage-quit from a hacker getting called out. Wished I saved the audio.
There was that sniper hacker not too long ago who was headshotting cloaked spies and played dumb, going, "U_MAD" at me. I haven't seen a hacker in TF2 since like, the first month I got the game.

Yeef

Decided to give the gunboats a second chance tonight after writing them off way back when. had tons of fun. being able to jump around without having to worry too much about health is great on most maps. Lots of times I'd see stickies and try to change to my shotgun and just get a sad 'beep.' I probably won't stick with them, but I'll definitely pull them out from time to time.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558664199085428547/E68221F560A17C10F93657D64E7A58B7EAC2A59F/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558664199085428867/241E52A7F70C9D8FF6C155B0BC0F8BB46BB2A716/

(._.)

Banned
Obsessed said:
You play on servers that aren't VAC secured?
The good ones usually aren't VAC'd

Pancakes said:
he was a tard. reminded him hes a loser on his profile.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeef said:
Decided to give the gunboats a second chance tonight after writing them off way back when. had tons of fun. being able to jump around without having to worry too much about health is great on most maps. Lots of times I'd see stickies and try to change to my shotgun and just get a sad 'beep.' I probably won't stick with them, but I'll definitely pull them out from time to time.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558664199085428547/E68221F560A17C10F93657D64E7A58B7EAC2A59F/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558664199085428867/241E52A7F70C9D8FF6C155B0BC0F8BB46BB2A716/
You forgot to mention your entire team got bodied by mini sentries on hightower

Acerac

Banned
Pancakes said:
I like how he both said that he started a day ago and that he was sure there was no hacks for tf2. Even if he was telling the truth I'm not sure we'd want somebody who knew about all hacks for a game 1 day in.

By the way, thanks again for all those who helped me with my earlier oversight. TF2 truly is the best game these days. :)

TheBez

Fun games tonight! I 'm sorry I had to afk so often I think I atesome bad food :( Thanks for the gift as well!

Yeef

Cloudius12 said:
Sadly I dont rocket jump as well as you do. Is that the best way to rocket jump? Aim in back of you and shoot? Mouse sensitivity on high?
I'm far from a good rocket jumper, but it's just physics. If you want to go high, aim at your feet, if you want to go horizontally aim at a wall behind you. If you want to do both aim behind you at a 45 degree angle. Crouch jumping will get you the maximum distance, but there are some jumps where that just makes you overshoot.

Uriah

You could also get a script to help you rocket jump. Or if you don't want your hand to cramp from holding control+space.

Boonoo

From what I understand all the scripts help you do is jump as high as possible, and that isn't really worth much.

I got to try out a premium trial in a server a little earlier, and Heavy is hilariously awesome. More speed (I felt like I was moving nearly Scout speed), ammo goes down one bullet per second when firing a gun, 50 health per kill, higher jumps, and possibly more melee strength (couldn't test it on a healthy opponent).

It's not worth whatever fee they're charging, but it is definitely fun.

Notes for Medic:

1) Healing someone who is already being healed (by another Medic or Dispenser) will cause your Ubercharge to build more slowly, and does not increase the healing on the target
2) Healing someone who is damaged or simply not overhealed will build your Ubercharge faster*

*Notes for Demoman or Solider players being pocketed who do not have full uber:
1) MAKE SMALL ROCKET/STICKY JUMPS TO CONTINUOUSLY HURT YOURSELF. You will build your medic's uber much faster.

For video demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afZ9xiSSZs

Top Bottom