• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

EmCeeGramr said:
*Notes for Demoman or Solider players being pocketed who do not have full uber:
1) MAKE SMALL ROCKET/STICKY JUMPS TO CONTINUOUSLY HURT YOURSELF. You will build your medic's uber much faster.

The GRU works for this too, correct?

derFeef said:
Don't you need to be hurt to make that healing effect work? Healing a GBRU heavy will never get him down that much.
Being recently injured will max out the healing rate, but as long as you're not fully overhealed it will build the uber faster than the base speed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As a Medic it is also essential to constantly be moving and check your behind once every 5-10 seconds. No one likes to get stabbed midway through charging or even at 100% charge waiting for the right moment. Don't be afraid to melee if the situation requires it as many Pyros don't expect it and you usually have enough health and time to put out the flames after the kill. If they airblast you away, whip out the needler and fire away.

Also get comfortable with using the Kritz on defense. Use it on certain classes depending on the situation; Soldiers for cramped places, Demos for people around a corner/pushing the cart, Heavy to scare people off and give your team room to breathe and build up. Just make sure they've got the right weapons you want first - no use kritzing a Demo with the Scottish Resistance. Sometimes a Kritz on offense is great for the same situations as well but I make sure that there is another Medic on the team with the Medigun running around because normal Ubers should take priority.

I haven't tried the Quick-Fix much because I haven't bothered to craft one so I'm not too sure what its pros and cons are.

P.S. Don't be like me and get too jaded if you stick to the guns and become a competent Medic. It is a great asset to pull out if you're going against stacked teams and you want to ruin their fun :p

thefil

EmCeeGramr said:
Being recently injured will max out the healing rate, but as long as you're not fully overhealed it will build the uber faster than the base speed.

This is apparently false. My roommate is a TF2 expert (as goofy as that sounds to say) and informed me that the faster charge rate kicks in at something like [max overhealed health] - 20%. I don't know the exact stats, but the gist was that the GRU actually do not allow faster uber building.

(._.)

Banned
MEDIC! tip: Try to use enemy rockets and explosions to surf away from danger. It is usually a rare circumstance but sometimes if you're paying attention you can make a quick escape from some poorly fired soldier rockets.

thefil said:
This is apparently false. My roommate is a TF2 expert (as goofy as that sounds to say) and informed me that the faster charge rate kicks in at something like [max overhealed health] - 20%. I don't know the exact stats, but the gist was that the GRU actually do not allow faster uber building.
The GRU helps build Ubers faster

Overheal counts as healing until it reaches max, then it only counts the healing every time the overheal goes down 1 HP

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Uber#Charging_the_.C3.9CberCharge

Yeef

thefil said:
The first part is false about faster healing rate. The stuff about charge is right though.

Healing rate goes up the longer you're out of combat. So healing someone who just took damage is going to be slower than healing someone who hasn't taken damage for 10 seconds. The idea is to encourage retreating and regrouping when outgunned rather than staying in combat.

I went on a spy killing streak in the valve server. So funny when you stab someone a medic is healing and the medic just stands there clueless.

Bakphoon

I went on some trading servers today...

some people really try to rip other people off.. someone offered me 2 reclaimed for my tyrants helm :(

Obsessed said:
I went on a spy killing streak in the valve server. So funny when you stab someone a medic is healing and the medic just stands there clueless.

You did that to me a couple of times. That match was lag city though, on my screen you were teleporting behind me while my medic couldn't change his damn weapon.

Forkball

Bakphoon said:

some people really try to rip other people off.. someone offered me 2 reclaimed for my tyrants helm :(
Yeah, I've seen some really bad ripoffs on trade severs. I've seen straight up weapons for hats trades.

ps one refined for the hat final offer

darthbob

Bakphoon said:

I don't mind so much when I see it happen. What irks me is when someone in the server white knights and declares it to be a ripoff.

It's the adage, "A fool and his money..."

Acerac

Banned
darthbob said:
I don't mind so much when I see it happen. What irks me is when someone in the server white knights and declares it to be a ripoff.

It's the adage, "A fool and his money..."
Why does a person trying to help out somebody being ripped off bug you?

That seems like a purely helpful thing for them to do. The only person being hurt in that scenario is the scammer...

Oh. =/

darthbob

Acerac said:
Why does a person trying to help out somebody being ripped off bug you?

That seems like a purely helpful thing for them to do. The only person being hurt in that scenario is the scammer...

Oh. =/

It teaches a lesson to the poor sap. Darwin at work in a virtual economy.

Bakphoon

To clarify it: How much i can expect for a tyrants helm painted in the 216 color? Im saving up Metal / Keys for a team captain (got 3 keys so far)

darthbob

Bakphoon said:
To clarify it: How much i can expect for a tyrants helm painted in the 216 color? Im saving up Metal / Keys for a team captain (got 3 keys so far)

I'd say like 2.33 ref.

Maybe 3 since it's a high tier Soldier hat. Paint doesn't matter much if someone DOESN'T like it, since they can just restore the hat later.

darthbob said:
It teaches a lesson to the poor sap. Darwin at work in a virtual economy.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Are you Morrigan from Dragon Age?

By the way, alerting someone they are being scammed and telling them what would be an appropriate trade also teaches them a lesson.

Acerac

Banned
So you're angry at them for teaching the person a lesson that their hats are more valuable than a hand full of weapons? I assume that's what you mean as being ripped off doesn't teach them anything.

That's pretty cold. To each their own.

I guess I'm not huge on exploiting new players. Probably to my own detriment. Whatever.
Obsessed said:
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Are you Morrigan from Dragon Age?

By the way, alerting someone they are being scammed and telling them what would be an appropriate trade also teaches them a lesson.
People being scammed doesn't teach them anything. The only way his statement makes sense is that he's angry that these new players are being educated.

It seems like a rather fucked up outlook to me, but it's a good reminder of the world we live in?

moojito

So at the risk of sullying this trading talk with tf2 stuff, I logged onto to a server today and got my spy on as normal, then the next thing, there are 3 spies and everyone on the team is complaining about it. So I give demo a go and the very next round there are four bloody demos. I think I just need to play whatever class I want to and screw attempts at class balance.

Evlar

Banned
moojito said:
So at the risk of sullying this trading talk with tf2 stuff, I logged onto to a server today and got my spy on as normal, then the next thing, there are 3 spies and everyone on the team is complaining about it. So I give demo a go and the very next round there are four bloody demos. I think I just need to play whatever class I want to and screw attempts at class balance.
I heartily endorse this mindset.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
moojito said:
I think I just need to play whatever class I want to and screw attempts at class balance.

Damn the whiners.

As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters.

2Crisis

moojito said:

when all else fails, go medic :)

Yeef

I seem to have the opposite problem. I boot up TF2 thinking "let me get a quick spy round in." Then I join a matchmaking server and my team already has 6 spies, so I feel obligated to not be the 7th.

On Attack/Defend Gorge:

You know the place you spawn after the first point is captured? Somehow en enemy Engineer got a teleporter and sentry up there. How is that possible? He can't rocketjump...

It was a Valve server so I don't think there was hacking. Idk though, I can't find an explanation.

Boonoo

Obsessed said:
On Attack/Defend Gorge:

You know the place you spawn after the first point is captured? Somehow en enemy Engineer got a teleporter and sentry up there. How is that possible? He can't rocketjump...

It was a Valve server so I don't think there was hacking. Idk though, I can't find an explanation.

You can use a dispenser or gun to jump on the awning. From there you can build a teleporter on the roof.

Alternately, you can rocket jump yourself using a wrangler and lvl 3 sentry.

Acerac

Banned
Yeef said:
I seem to have the opposite problem. I boot up TF2 thinking "let me get a quick spy round in." Then I join a matchmaking server and my team already has 6 spies, so I feel obligated to not be the 7th.
In that case, I go to the other team and pick pyro, then one match later return to the team that now contains significantly less spies!
moojito said:
It drives me crazy!

The worst is when you get copy cat engineers, and none of them know how to play the class. At that point I feel obligated to stay as none of the other ones have a teleporter up!

Either that or I switch teams and pick spy.

Come to think of it, the vast majority of my switches come to relieve annoyance at teams who insist on shitty builds.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
You can use a dispenser or gun to jump on the awning. From there you can build a teleporter on the roof.

Or, alternately, I call it the "cheap" way to win.

I "never" build sentries up there, yet I can still top the charts as an engie on George. Valve's gotta do something about that and other exploits :p

AtomHeart

Neo Member
- Renamed The Tamrielic Relic to The Dragonborn Helmet

- Updated The Original, The Dragonborn Helmet, The Anger, The Pip-Boy, and The Wingstick so they can be purchased/crafted/traded/found

- Updated the gamehaptics file

- Added draw/recoil/reload/crit forces for The Original

- Updated the localization files

Lovely TF2 update.

Boonoo said:

I hate exploits like that.

Acerac said:
In that case, I go to the other team and pick pyro, then one match later return to the team that now contains significantly less spies!

Why did I never think of doing this?

And actually... I've found that doesn't help. My team today had 5 spies and the other team had 3 Pyros. Not one of them switched.

Boonoo said:
What exploits? An ubered demo can clear off the whole roof easy.

Yeah forcing the entire team to wait in the spawn until an uber is built up clearly isn't an exploit.

Acerac

Banned
Obsessed said:
Why did I never think of doing this?

And actually... I've found that doesn't help. My team today had 5 spies and the other team had 3 Pyros. Not one of them switched.
In that case I'd just stay on the pyro team and have fun burning things. Can't win 'em all, but at least you can always exploit poorly built teams.

Obsessed said:
Yeah forcing the entire team to wait in the spawn until an uber is built up clearly isn't an exploit.
...Yes, that statement is unironically correct. Situations in which an attacking team has to build up an uber to push forward aren't exploits.

Also it's not exactly a situation that FORCES an ubered Demo to exist. A regular Demo can take it down.

Boonoo

Obsessed said:
I hate exploits like that.
How is it an exploit? It's a pretty standard technique that's used on several other maps (the roof of B in Gpit, 2nd point 1st map of Goldrush). And it's not as through it's hard to destroy.

Edit:
Wait, are you saying you guys let them build up there after you had taken the point? If you let someone build a lvl 3 right outside your spawn door it's your own fault. It probably takes 2 minutes for an engie to actually get all the way set up there with a lvl 3 dispenser and sentry.

Yeef

It's not an exploit, it's just a matter of game updates breaking map balance. Certain places where impossible for engineers to get to before the wrangler was added, so the mappers didn't bother to make nobuild meshes there. The Gorge one is rather tame and easy to deal with. The most annoying one I've come across is the spire near the last point of frontier.

Top Bottom