• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Kikarian

I'm going to start idling.

Been playing the game for a while now ever since it was released on the xbox, I converted to playing it on the PC.

So it's about time to idle! :D

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
So they're not prominent in competitive play because they're not good enough at certain things, because two items are banned that could help them be better? =P
Well they're not prominent because no matter the items they slow the general pace of the game down are aren't fun to fight as or against.
You don't like slowdown because you like playing scouts and soldiers, classes that might be hurt by slowdown, correct? That sounds kind of self-serving. ;)
No, I dislike slowdown on any class because being slowed down isn't fun.
Have you even played heavy lately? They nerfed tomislav's spinup time quickly, for instance. And wasn't weapon falloff for natascha made heavier, which is now almost completly worse than all other options and yet you're still complaining about it? Let's be reasonable.

I have played heavy recently, but not Natascha (although looking at the wiki it seems the minigun damage falloff is the same across the board, 150, 100, 50). And no matter what they do as long as it has slowdown there's no reason to keep it in the game because slowdown is a dumb mechanic.

The spinup time on the Tomislav is only .522 seconds; I can't imagine how bad it was when it was less. If you're going to have a weapon that negates the big drawback of the minigun--and it's worth noting that the particularities of the minigun are what give the Heavy some amount of tension. You have to actually make choices about how to engage the enemy--it should have a bigger damage penalty.

As it is now they've made the heavy a pretty one dimensional character, and that's a bummer.

Boonoo said:
Well they're not prominent because no matter the items they slow the general pace of the game down are aren't fun to fight as or against.

Not being fun to fight as or against is a matter of personal opinion.

Yeef

Forkball said:
Demos certainly need a speed nerf. How can they be so fast with all that heavy armor and weaponry? Nothing frustrates me more than when I'm a Pyro, and I ignite a demo with the edge of my flames, yet he still has enough speed to completely avoid my axtinguisher/mailbox.
If it's an eyelander demo with heads then he's going to be faster than most classes. If it's a good demo (frying pan) then chances are your aim sucks and/or you're just the victim of the janky melee hit detection. nothing more frustrating than hearing the hit sound on a melee attack but it not actually counting as a hit. It's most annoying with spy and pyro because they're melee attacks are generally instant kills.

Acerac said:
When you say a blink of the eye, you mean slower than any other attacking class other than perhaps sniper? :p
His damage output, even with his 'weak' guns, is significantly higher than any other class' primary weapon at close to medium range. It also doesn't require any ammo management and is much, much easier to aim.

So why does the class as a whole need to be nerfed? Why not just nerf the items that are too good?
Because the whole class was buffed to compensate for bad players. Basically, Valve seems to want the heavy to be a class that new players can learn easily. But new players are, naturally, not very good, and couldn't figure out when to use the minigun and when to use the shotgun. So, back in April of last year they did this instead:

Heavy changes

Minigun spin-up/down time reduced by 25%
Minigun firing movement speed increased to just under half-normal (from 80 to 110).
Throwing a sandvich to a teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
Making the Heavy much easier to play and effectively nerfing the shotgun and buffing the sandvich. before that patch, good players had no problem playing heavy. After the patch, heavy is basically autopilot. (During the same patch the nerfed flamethrower damage by 20%, but buffed airblasts).

Since then they've added: The GRU, which gets rid of the Heavy's movement speed weakness, the Fists of Steel which get rid of his susceptibility to headshots and the Tomislav which further reduces his firing delay. A Tomislav/Sandwich/GRU heavy effectively has none of the weaknesses that should be the core part of the class.

MarkMclovin said:
What the hell is it with disguised spy's sometimes? I literally put a whole clip into the guy and he doesn't go down. Instead, I had to use my wrench to take him out, leaving my turret and dispenser to blow up.

This happens quite often.
A disguised spy still uses the spy hitboxes, not the ones for the class he's disguised as. it takes a little while to get used to.

Disguised_spy_hitbox.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:

No, I dislike slowdown on any class because being slowed down isn't fun.
In your opinion, as Obsessed said. And presumably the opinion of the competitive community, though I thought someone here said that community was small compared to the game community as a whole? In that case, shouldn't nerfs not be applied to the general community?

Secondly, why do you call it competitive if "fun" is such a key factor that you would literally ban items or want a class nerfed? Why not call it the "fun" community or "fun" tournaments if fun is more important than being competitive? :p

I have played heavy recently, but not Natascha (although looking at the wiki it seems the minigun damage falloff is the same across the board, 150, 100, 50). And no matter what they do as long as it has slowdown there's no reason to keep it in the game because slowdown is a dumb mechanic.
A patch increased the spinup time, and "Slowdown-on-hit effect is reduced over distance." according to the wiki. I was wrong then if there has never been a minigun/natascha damage fall-off change. I do think that the various miniguns do have substantial bullet spread cones, though, which means it can be difficult to do anything at distance. Maybe competitive settings which turn off bullet spread change that, but that's a competitive settings choice that doesn't affect the community as a whole, in theory.

The spinup time on the Tomislav is only .522 seconds; I can't imagine how bad it was when it was less. If you're going to have a weapon that negates the big drawback of the minigun--and it's worth noting that the particularities of the minigun are what give the Heavy some amount of tension. You have to actually make choices about how to engage the enemy--it should have a bigger damage penalty.

As it is now they've made the heavy a pretty one dimensional character, and that's a bummer.
The heavy had more dimensions when he could flank with the fists of steel and/or GRU, using them to move strategically into interesting positions. The sandvich gave the possibility of retreating for help and preparing for a fight. I consider both of those giving the heavy more options, more fun, and more gameplay dimensions than the original weapons.

Yes, the tomislav was very powerful before it was nerfed, but as long as it was still possible for me to lose it needs to be more powerful. Heavy is the funniest, fattest, most Russian class and should be able to win everything.

Okay the last paragraph was not serious. But seriously, have you played a lot of tomislav heavy since the nerf? It's good but the regular minigun works better in several situations, I feel.

And regarding factual stuff, you said "...with the Tomislav he can be firing before a scout has fired 2 shots." Did you edit that to say if the gun was out already, or did you originally just say that to begin with? Because there'd be weapon switch time on TOP of the .522 second spinup. :p And the scout can't fire more than one shot in half a second? According to the wiki, both the shortstop and the FaN can do that, it looks like.

I had no clue about the Spy using the same hitbox while disguised. It makes sense now that I think about it since they don't change when they're on your team.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Since then they've added: The GRU, which gets rid of the Heavy's movement speed weakness, the Fists of Steel which get rid of his susceptibility to headshots and the Tomislav which further reduces his firing delay. A Tomislav/Sandwich/GRU heavy effectively has none of the weaknesses that should be the core part of the class.
A tomislav/sandvich/GRU heavy can still be headshot. Fists of steel reduce susceptibility to headshots, not "get rid" of it.

I also suggest that Valve apparently feels differently than you do about the core weaknesses than you do, in that they allow the heavy to mitigate some of them in certain situations.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Blizzard said:
Okay the last paragraph was not serious. But seriously, have you played a lot of tomislav heavy since the nerf? It's good but the regular minigun works better in several situations, I feel.

I haven't been playing for very long but here's my take on it.

I find myself using the default minigun more and more lately. The tomislav is useful for dealing with those pesky scouts and pyros and is better for an overall run and gun style. But I personally find the slower fire rate to be too much of a detriment.

Same thing with Natasha the slowing effect is nice but the decreased damage output and slower rev time puts you at a big disadvantage, especially against other heavies.

The Brass Beast is really only useful on static defense since you move slower than a minecart when you have it revved up. The increased damage output is fantastic but you're a ridiculously easy target for snipers, demos, and soldiers.

The default minigun may have a slower spinup and no special effects but you'll be (usually) able to beat tomislav heavies in a 1 to 1 scenario and have decent mobility to deal with other classes as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Pancakes said:
I haven't been playing for very long but here's my take on it.

I find myself using the default minigun more and more lately. The tomislav is useful for dealing with those pesky scouts and pyros and is better for an overall run and gun style. But I personally find the slower fire rate to be too much of a detriment.

Same thing with Natasha the slowing effect is nice but the decreased damage output and slower rev time puts you at a big disadvantage, especially against other heavies.

The Brass Beast is really only useful on static defense since you move slower than a minecart when you have it revved up. The increased damage output is fantastic but you're a ridiculously easy target for snipers, demos, and soldiers.

The default minigun may have a slower spinup and no special effects but you'll be (usually) able to beat tomislav heavies in a 1 to 1 scenario and have decent mobility to deal with other classes as well.
I think I agree with pretty much all of this. I only use natascha to attempt to annoy scouts (which are the worst class ever, no class should move that fast or be able to jump that much), or to build up my strange natascha kill count. Natascha USED to be able to annoy charging demoman, which was hilarious and one of the few ways to stop them, but I'm not sure it stops their charge dead now. Brass beast is nice if you can pull it off, but as you say the minigun is probably the best general choice.

AcciDante

I hope its ok that I post this in here and not the trading thread, but I'm giving some stranges away. I'd prefer them to go to people that play regularly and will actually use them, so I'm posting it in here. One per person, and please don't just flip them for metal...
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai (gone)
Powerjack (gone)
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife (gone)
Rocket Launcher (gone)
Grenade Launcher (gone)
G.R.U (gone)

AcciDante said:
I hope its ok that I post this in here and not the trading thread, but I'm giving some stranges away. I'd prefer them to go to people that play regularly and will actually use them, so I'm posting it in here. One per person, and please don't just flip them for metal...
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai
Powerjack
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife
Rocket Launcher
Grenage Launcher
G.R.U
I'll take the rocket launcher if you don't mind. The only thing there I regularly use.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
And regarding factual stuff, you said "...with the Tomislav he can be firing before a scout has fired 2 shots." Did you edit that to say if the gun was out already, or did you originally just say that to begin with? Because there'd be weapon switch time on TOP of the .522 second spinup. :p And the scout can't fire more than one shot in half a second? According to the wiki, both the shortstop and the FaN can do that, it looks like.
You're splitting hairs there. Obviously Boonoo assumes the scout is using the default scattergun. You can fire 2 shots faster with the force-a-nature, at which point you're immediately caught in a long reload animation and the heavy can go to town with no repercussions. And since scatterguns are meant to be fired point blank the heavy's 400~ DPS kills you in 1/3rd of a second.

Blizzard said:
A tomislav/sandvich/GRU heavy can still be headshot.
As can any other class. That's not a core weakness of the class, that's a core strength of the sniper class. Slow movement and slow attack preparation are the heavy's big core weaknesses that balance out his large health and high DPS core strengths. The GRU basically negates one of his core weaknesses at no cost to his core strengths. Tomislav greatly reduces a core weakness at a cost to one of his core strengths (high DPS), but the effect is really only felt when facing off against other heavies. For the other 8 classes the difference is little more than academic.

Fists of steel reduce susceptibility to headshots, not "get rid" of it.
A full charged headshot won't kill even a non-overhealed heavy with the fists that isn't already damaged. I'd say that qualifies as getting rid of*

*Since we're splitting hairs, as far as the scoreboard is concerned, only kills via headshots are considered headshots. ;P

I also suggest that Valve apparently feels differently than you do about the core weaknesses than you do, in that they allow the heavy to mitigate some of them in certain situations.
I'm not sure what your point is. if Valve decided, tomorrow, to make sentry guns have unlimited range and the ability to shoot through walls that wouldn't suddenly make it good game design. Valve is not infallible. unless you think the sandman stunning at any range is good game design.

Yeef

AcciDante said:
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai
Powerjack
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife
Rocket Launcher
Grenage Launcher
G.R.U
I wouldn't mind a strange powerjack. I've actually been using some of the sets recently for laughs. Jockey Pyro is a lot of fun.

AcciDante said:
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai
Powerjack
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife
Rocket Launcher
Grenage Launcher
G.R.U
Wouldn't mind a Strange Knife, but I have TF2 uninstalled atm so..

AcciDante said:
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai
Powerjack (gone)
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife
Rocket Launcher (gone)
Grenage Launcher
G.R.U

If it's alright, may I have the grenade launcher?

I play as cldud1245 on the gaf server.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Scout requires a ton of skill. Dodging and aiming require a lot of skill.
Heavy?
Exactly.
Being a really good heavy takes skill. Being a decent heavy does not take a lot. What's wrong with Valve having an entry-level class?

Yeef said:
You're splitting hairs there. Obviously Boonoo assumes the scout is using the default scattergun. You can fire 2 shots faster with the force-a-nature, at which point you're immediately caught in a long reload animation and the heavy can go to town with no repercussions. And since scatterguns are meant to be fired point blank the heavy's 400~ DPS kills you in 1/3rd of a second.
Boonoo didn't mention that. When you're talking dps and fractions of seconds, we have to split hairs, no? :p And the dps assumes you actually hit the scout, lag and dodging/jumping aside.

As can any other class. That's not a core weakness of the class, that's a core strength of the sniper class. Slow movement and slow attack preparation are the heavy's big core weaknesses that balance out his large health and high DPS core strengths. The GRU basically negates one of his core weaknesses at no cost to his core strengths. Tomislav greatly reduces a core weakness at a cost to one of his core strengths (high DPS), but the effect is really only felt when facing off against other heavies. For the other 8 classes the difference is little more than academic.
This is still your opinion vs. Valve on what the heavy should be, however. You seem to feel it should be weak, to certain classes, and have certain balances. Valve has heavily modified the game and I don't see the need to change that particular aspect heavily.

A full charged headshot won't kill even a non-overhealed heavy with the fists that isn't already damaged. I'd say that qualifies as getting rid of*

*Since we're splitting hairs, as far as the scoreboard is concerned, only kills via headshots are considered headshots. ;P
You didn't mention kills before, so thanks for qualifying. Having 30 HP puts you at a serious disadvantage, however, and you have to deal with weapon switch and not dealing any damage if you're running around with the fists of steel. That's why I think they're nice as a flanking/travel option. And as I pointed out, didn't Valve nerf them?

I'm not sure what your point is. if Valve decided, tomorrow, to make sentry guns have unlimited range and the ability to shoot through walls that wouldn't suddenly make it good game design. Valve is not infallible. unless you think the sandman stunning at any range is good game design.
I feel like you are saying that the game and class should be a certain way, and Boonoo is saying something similar (but from the perspective of a certain "competitive" community that plays differently from normal servers). I suggest that Valve may be aiming for different goals, such as making the heavy an entry-level class, or making certain classes more prominent than other classes. I think that their goals may be different than your goals, and thus your potential requirements for some specific balances or strengths aren't always necessary.

*edit* A point I didn't even think to make is that your argument about sentry guns with unlimited range and ability to shoot through walls is a strawman argument, since that would do dps constantly to the enemy team. Surely we can agree that such a change would be more powerful than adjusted spinup times and adjusted running times. :p

For an example of a major change Valve made, engineers used to have to destroy buildings to move them. Then one day Valve said no, you can move your buildings, with no metal cost at all. Just instantly pick them up, and go plant them. Weren't people complaining how THAT would be overpowered? :p Seems like it turned out ok to me.

AcciDante said:
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai
Powerjack (gone)
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife
Rocket Launcher (gone)
Grenage Launcher
G.R.U

I'd ask for a strange G.R.U but do you ever actually kill anyone with them?

Ohhhhhh... Can I have the strange knife?

edit: Damn you Java.... fuck :(

AcciDante

Obsessed said:
I'd ask for a strange G.R.U but do you ever actually kill anyone with them?

Ohhhhhh... Can I have the strange knife?

edit: Damn you Java.... fuck :(
You can have the GRU! My id is Dante369.

Yeef said:
If it's an eyelander demo with heads then he's going to be faster than most classes. If it's a good demo (frying pan) then chances are your aim sucks and/or you're just the victim of the janky melee hit detection. nothing more frustrating than hearing the hit sound on a melee attack but it not actually counting as a hit. It's most annoying with spy and pyro because they're melee attacks are generally instant kills.

I've been having this happen more often lately with the Fan of War than I did when it first came out, which frustrates me a little since if you're going to use it, and otherwise give up your melee ability as Scout (not to mention a potential triple-jump with the Atomizer), you need it to work right. It's a nice team player weapon when it works, because even if you die, you're probably going to get your target killed too, even Heavies with pocket Medics.

AcciDante said:
I have (all stranges):

Conniver Kunai
Powerjack (gone)
Eyelander
Sandman
Knife (gone)
Rocket Launcher (gone)
Grenade Launcher (will be gone to cldude)
G.R.U

I'll take the Eyelander if it's not gone, please.

Nevermind, I forgot I use the Nine-Iron now anyway.

Guys please stop arguing with a Career Heavy, they are as unskilled and delusional as Career CHAOS PYROs and 600-hour Engineers.

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Guys please stop arguing with a Career Heavy, they are as unskilled and delusional as Career CHAOS PYROs and 600-hour Engineers.
I probably play a lot more spy, demoman, or sniper lately than heavy.

I don't even know what a CHAOS PYRO is. Don't you play pyro most of the time, if you're Crushed? And if you're not Crushed, what's your ingame name? And if you're Crushed, why do you never acknowledge it on the forum here? D:

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Blizzard said:
I probably play a lot more spy, demoman, or sniper lately than heavy.

I don't even know what a CHAOS PYRO is. Don't you play pyro most of the time, if you're Crushed? And if you're not Crushed, what's your ingame name? And if you're Crushed, why do you never acknowledge it on the forum here? D:

I thought crushed was that banned guy with the animated Miyamoto avatar.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
I feel like you are saying that the game and class should be a certain way, and Boonoo is saying something similar (but from the perspective of a certain "competitive" community that plays differently from normal servers). I suggest that Valve may be aiming for different goals, such as making the heavy an entry-level class, or making certain classes more prominent than other classes. I think that their goals may be different than your goals, and thus your potential requirements for some specific balances or strengths aren't always necessary.
Oh, I'm mainly talking about general public play. I don't care too much about heavy in comp since it isn't used. But I feel that heavy definitely overpowers normal servers because it takes next to no skill to become a walking death machine.

Being a really good heavy takes skill. Being a decent heavy does not take a lot. What's wrong with Valve having an entry-level class?
Well the whole notion of an entry-level class is a bit off. Why does there need to be a class that can top the charts without any real effort? I'd say that most of the tf2 classes are pretty easy to jump into, but they offer quite a bit of room for improvement--with the heavy there's no reason to improve since even decent heavy will easily destroy the server if a medic sticks on them.

Edit: Blizzard, chaos pyros are those pyros that think they're really helping out the team by suiciding into a big group of enemy players and causing CHAOS!!!

A CHAOS PYRO is the player with 500 hours as Pyro and very little as anything else, who thinks that the Pyro's job isn't getting kills, spychecking, airblasting ubers, or ambushing support classes.

They think the Pyro's job is to rush straight forward into groups or at core combat classes and catch things on fire to "disrupt" or "distract" the other team and "spread chaos."

"Oh my God!" thinks the imaginary opposing team in these players' fantasies, "My screen is slightly shaking every second, so suddenly I've forgotten how to play video games! I AM DISRUPTED BY CHAOS."

The fact that the other team just shoots the Pyro and puts out the flames for no net gain whatsoever doesn't matter to the CHAOS PYRO. Every Scout or Spy killed by accident is proof that the strategy is working, and every assist where the flames contributed 2% of the damage is vindication.

These creatures have existed since TF2 came out years ago, and can still be found today on YouTube and Reddit.

Harpuia

TF2 has finally got me in it's death grip and caused me to buy a hat. :( I bought the Hotty's Hoody, which I do love how it looks. On the bright side, I'm no longer F2P!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
A CHAOS PYRO is the player with 500 hours as Pyro and very little as anything else, who thinks that the Pyro's job isn't getting kills, spychecking, airblasting ubers, or ambushing support classes.

They think the Pyro's job is to rush straight forward into groups or at core combat classes and catch things on fire to "disrupt" or "distract" the other team and "spread chaos."

"Oh my God!" thinks the imaginary opposing team in these players' fantasies, "My screen is slightly shaking every second, so suddenly I've forgotten how to play video games! I AM DISRUPTED BY CHAOS."

The fact that the other team just shoots the Pyro and puts out the flames for no net gain whatsoever doesn't matter to the CHAOS PYRO. Every Scout or Spy killed by accident is proof that the strategy is working, and every assist where the flames contributed 2% of the damage is vindication.

These creatures have existed since TF2 came out years ago, and can still be found today on YouTube and Reddit.
Workd on noobs

EmCeeGramr said:

That's why true Pyro players can be measured in their non-flamethrower kills ;)

EmCeeGramr said:

at least I know now im doing it wrong :( . I just started and thought they were the coolest so I figured id try to learn with them.

Though watching a few vids it seems the fire grenade thing is pretty useful...gnna have to pick one up eventually when I get a grasp on things.

Reinstalled TF2 last night and Im having some issues. Every time I connect to a server it hangs on "Retrieving Server Info" and then crashes to desktop when it says its Sending Client Info.

Its pretty frustrating and I've reinstalled just now and I still have the same issue.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
JackFrost said:
at least I know now im doing it wrong :( . I just started and thought they were the coolest so I figured id try to learn with them.
Don't be a W+M1 pyro. It has it's place in time but your secondary weapons should be getting just as much if not more action than your flamethrower. And airblasting. YOU CAN AIRBLAST OTHER PLAYERS WHO ARE ON FIRE. DO I HAVE TO BOLD THIS TOO? So many pyro players forget this. This is the only things in life that makes me rage so bad.

JackFrost said:

Though watching a few vids it seems the fire grenade thing is pretty useful...gnna have to pick one up eventually when I get a grasp on things.

Flare Gun is probably the most satisfying weapon to get a kill with, like right by the Huntsman for me.

I've said in the past why I love the Flare Gun. Pop someone once with it and see them get angry. Pop them again for 90 more damage and see the panic start to set in. They usually don't make it to the healthkit in time :D

Jangaroo said:
YOU CAN AIRBLAST OTHER PLAYERS WHO ARE ON FIRE. DO I HAVE TO BOLD THIS TOO? So many pyro players forget this. This is the only things in life that makes me rage so bad.

wow i dont even play online yet....no reason to yell at me :/ . My shotgun is getting more use then the flamethrower.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
JackFrost said:
wow i dont even play online yet....no reason to yell at me :/ . My shotgun is getting more use then the flamethrower.
I wasn't yelling at you directly, but rather to just make a point. I know the regulars in this thread know this but on most other pub servers, this happens way too often. Learn this and have people love you.

Top Bottom