• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Tenck

Wolf Akela said:
CnD would be so much better if they kept the old glitch where it had a significant boost to regen.

Either that or make cloak drain health, then allow you to replenish with medkits.

I would love for them to make the CnD more mobile friendly.

Sometimes I don't mind though. Has me on my toes the whole time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Would need some sort of draw back. Maybe take a large chunk of your life, and also increase the cloak drain rate. Should be able to travail the same distance as the normal watch while cloaked IMO.

yeoz

Bakphoon said:
DAMMIT VALVE!

I traded of my best miscs away for a Hat, and now YOU ARE ADDING A SECOND MISC. SLOT?!

Thanks that I will have to get them much more expensive back!
They've been hinting about it since the summer camp event. Really shouldn't have been a surprise at all to you.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
If it's a good option that he didn't have before, it's a buff. Why are you complaining about options? Do you hate people in masks? :mad:
A buff is a core class change. Giving the pyro airblasts was a buff. Increasing heavy's movement speed while spun up was a buff. The pyro (or rather, the flamethrower) needs buffs. new unlocks are just like band-aids. Cool, powerful band-aids are still band-aids.

Bluth54 said:
Is there a reason that the server allows up to 25 players to join? I assume the 25th slot was added to allow the jankbot, but it allows one team to have 13 players:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558668645102456974/C5A13C8461ABDD5AE703B4371299406AC8E676DC/[IMG]

Also any thoughts if we are going to be keeping the new server? It seems to be much nicer with much less jank and lower ping times for me. If it's more expensive to rent I would be willing to donate a little bit of money for it.[/QUOTE]The SourceTV bot was disabled for awhile, which is why there was an extra slot.

As for keeping the new server, I mostly like it so far, but there are some things that I don't like:
They have a no-bot policy. Spectator bots like Replay and SourceTV are allowed, as well as prefab bots like the HHH. The problem, though, is that it doesn't allow you to upload any nav files at all. meaning we can only spawn the HHH on Manor Event and not Harvest Event (since he'll just stand there).

There's also a vague blub about maximum disc space usage in their TOS. it just gives the maximum disc space you're allowed to use, but it doesn't state whether that includes the actual server installation or files generated by the server (logs, demos, etc.).

Their support also isn't so hot (though they basically say as much right on their FAQ page).
But, other than those little issues, I think the server is great.

Woo! Got another hat on my other idler! I guess the key to getting hats is quitting TF2 for a while.

Thanks for the Magnificent Mongolian, Yeef! ;)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Could you offload the nav file to someplace that isn't on the server, and still load it, or will it not work right? Or do something silly like drop the extension and try to load it anyway?

Yeef

Remotely loading the nav file wouldn't work. The source engine just looks for a nav file thta matches the map name in the map directory when it loads the map. That's why the server crashed a few nights ago. I had uploaded a bunch of nav files, but they were incomplete, so once it changed to one of those maps it'd fail to load the nav file and then not load the map.

The problem isn't with actually loading the nav file, it's with uploading it. Their servers seem to detect nav files and cancel the transfer halfway through which leaves a corrupted file. Changing the extension and the filename before uploading doesn't work.

I'm sure I could find a way around it if I really wanted to, but it's not a huge deal right now though. My main concern is that if raid mode and specialty mode end up using a lot of bots then we may have to switch servers yet again if they don't allow it.

lol at that Enforcer "nerf."

They basically are telling you to only use it with the Dead Ringer.

And Pyro with the reserve shooter? So much potential.

And multiple loadouts? FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
A buff is a core class change. Giving the pyro airblasts was a buff. Increasing heavy's movement speed while spun up was a buff. The pyro (or rather, the flamethrower) needs buffs. new unlocks are just like band-aids. Cool, powerful band-aids are still band-aids.
This seems like an arbitrary definition that Yeef made up. How can I rephrase this so you can understand:

They might give the pyro a new weapon! This might help the pyro become better for once, instead of worse like usually happens with patches! Don't you want the pyro to have the ability to do better?

I don't know how to explain. :( Both you and another guy seem to not want the pyro to have a weapon because it would be overpowered. Do you not consider the pyro underpowered? What is the source of your hate, Skywalker? Do you perhaps work for Valve?

*seethes with pyro rage*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Clearly Yeef must think highly of the game's balance, since allowing the Pyro to shoot his shotgun 4 frames sooner, along with adding the ability to do 50% more damage to people in the air, with only the totally neglectable change of loosing half your clip, changes the pyro from under powered to over powered.

Proven

I agree with Yeef, the only issue is that Valve has pretty much given up on buffs and have made the Pyro class a combination of powerful mix and match weapons.

For example, the Degreaser was practically a straight upgrade. If they wanted to really differentiate it from the flamethrower, the stats should be:

Flamethrower
+25% airblast cost (so it's now back to 25 ammo per airblast)

Degreaser
-10% damage
-25% or maybe even -50% afterburn damage.

That would have solidified its role as an airblast machine that is also designed for quickswitch shenanigans. Or even swap the airblast cost with the regular flamethrower (make it 25) so you know the point of the weapon is switching to your secondary/melee and the regular flamethrower is best for airblasting.

The other issue is that no class has to switch weapons as much as a Pyro. Just about any of us can jump onto a Valve server, pick any other class, and with only the primary weapon and access to right click score much better than you would as a Pyro in the same situation (for the purposes of this argument, the knife, the medigun, and the sticky bomb launcher are considered the primaries, but you could probably score better using only the Enforcer, Blut, and Pipe launcher anyway).

So, the Pyro is now a bag of tricks. Even the demoknight paired with a grenade launcher feels more solid and cohesive to me.

The only other buff they could give the Pyro now would just be a flat buff to his weapon switch. Give him something like +20% faster weapon switch on all weapons and nerf the Degreaser a little bit. Then he'll feel like a bag of tricks character from just vanilla play.

Widow maker Buff ? YES ! 60 was way to expensive to shoot. It was really requiring some good, precise, and close up shots. 30 seems a bit low but I won't complain: it's stills fires so fast, it still will be eating my metal.

Reserve shooter for Pyros ? interesting...

Enforcer Nerfed ? Ok.

Tomislave nerfed ? Finaly.

Widowmaker buff might make it a better complement to Gunslinger Engie than the Frontier Justice. I'm really looking forward to seeing that change come into standard.

Bakphoon

Clydefrog said:
You guys seem overly excited for a bunch of BETA changes.

I need to get my Fancy Dress Uniform BEFORE it leaves beta :( It will skyrocket in price after the update (same is true for Mutton chops + Pipe)

Proven

The Enforcer "nerf" just legitimizes my earlier theory that it was meant for a gunslinging Spy playstyle, with the Dead Ringer acting as the replacement to having +25 health.

What they should do is add +50% decloak sound.

Bakphoon said:
I need to get my Fancy Dress Uniform BEFORE it leaves beta :( It will skyrocket in price after the update (same is true for Mutton chops + Pipe)

It still has a 50% chance of being crafted for 4 refined (which is how I got mine), so that will keep the ceiling from being too high. But things like the Pip Boy, the Spy Masks, Purity Fists, etc., will definitely go up. There's a potential for a little bit of investment there too.

I think you'll see the Polycount hats go up in price too with the multiple loadouts since each class will be able to build a loadout specifically for the set bonus.

(._.)

Banned
The new server seems just as laggy as the last. Maybe a bit less but not by much. It seems like TF2 has been laggy for a couple months now.

I was wondering why the Fancy Dress Uniform would go up, then "Oh right, 2 misc items". Then I need to get a Whiskered Gentleman to go with the tie. =D

(._.) said:
The new server seems just as laggy as the last. Maybe a bit less but not by much. It seems like TF2 has been laggy for a couple months now.

I find people teleport less on the new server. At least it makes life as a spy a bit easier.

But it still has wonky melee lag compensation.

And for whatever reason Pyros can hit me even if I am a few feet away from the end of their flame.

Blizzard

Banned
Proven said:
I agree with Yeef, the only issue is that Valve has pretty much given up on buffs and have made the Pyro class a combination of powerful mix and match weapons.

For example, the Degreaser was practically a straight upgrade. If they wanted to really differentiate it from the flamethrower, the stats should be:

Flamethrower

Degreaser
-10% damage
And you're suggesting nerfing the pyro (one weapon) as well. My mind is boggled. Doesn't pyro like, not seem overpowered these days? I thought it was practically a running gag how other classes were buffed or got new items and the pyro typically got left behind? There was the awesome high-jump ability of the detonator in the beta, which promptly produced the really wimpy detonator in the real game. I don't know anyone who thinks that's overpowered, and you certainly can't jump on the badwater point 2 roof with it now.

I mean, is the degreaser dominating teams that it needs lower damage? Is the flamethrower airblasting so much, especially on the janky GAF servers, that everyone can't use rockets effectively? =P

Chesskid1

Banned
is there anyone here willing to help xfer items from my tf2 idle account to my main account? in exchange i could give you all my crates or something or some metal or something once in a while idk. i'd only bug you like once a month. or in return i could do it for your idle account. i just don't like having that sandboxie shit installed on my comp. thanks :D

donezo

Chesskid1 said:
is there anyone here willing to help xfer items from my tf2 idle account to my main account? in exchange i could give you all my crates or something or some metal or something once in a while idk. i'd only bug you like once a month. or in return i could do it for your idle account. i just don't like having that sandboxie shit installed on my comp. thanks :D
If you need it done now, I can help you.

Proven

All I'm saying is that they're not buffing the Pyro, they're giving him powerful weapons. The problem with powerful weapons is that regardless of playstyle, you're almost forced into picking a certain loadout.

Think about how 90% of people will tell you to use the Axetinguisher exclusively.

Think about how 95% of people recommend the Degreaser.

Think about how many would have told you Pyro is worthless without the Detonator, had the thing been given the same jump height it had while in the beta.

Pyro's secondary was at least a style preference, either flare or hitscan, with the Detonator working as a situational flare.

If you add in the Reserve Shooter, while it would give Pyro's a welcome tool to help with Scouts, coupled with the airblast it would become another weapon that would be standard in most Pyros' arsenals just from the fact that it'd out damage the Flare gun most of the time.

You have to consider the fact that a proper buff to the class would be adding something to their vanilla stats. That's why I suggested just lower the Degreaser's weapon switch speed buff, and then give Pyro's a buff of 20% faster weapon switch on any weapon.

I love the Pyro dearly. He was my number one reason to play TF2, right next to the Medic. But if he's going to be buffed it's going to have to be done properly. I don't want people arguing about any of his shit like everyone does for the Heavy now. He doesn't deserve it just because a bunch of people suck at dealing with fire in their face and the pressure of afterburn, primarily because they couldn't aim, played exclusively Sniper/Spy/bad Scout, or were on a team without a single Medic.

Blizzard

Banned
Proven said:
You have to consider the fact that a proper buff to the class would be adding something to their vanilla stats. That's why I suggested just lower the Degreaser's weapon switch speed buff, and then give Pyro's a buff of 20% faster weapon switch on any weapon.

I love the Pyro dearly. He was my number one reason to play TF2, right next to the Medic. But if he's going to be buffed it's going to have to be done properly. I don't want people arguing about any of his shit like everyone does for the Heavy now. He doesn't deserve it just because a bunch of people suck at dealing with fire in their face and the pressure of afterburn, primarily because they couldn't aim, played exclusively Sniper/Spy/bad Scout, or were on a team without a single Medic.
I consider "proper" to be more of an opinion though. The axetinguisher, ubersaw, and equalizer are probably used by the majority of pyros, medics, and soldiers. They help the class out. I guess I don't really have a problem with one weapon being best and the others merely options. I don't know that Valve typically buffs class stats wholesale. They seem to adjust weapons instead.

Proven

The problem is, at least with the other classes it's just one weapon. The Pyro currently has two weapons like that, the Degreaser and the Axetinguisher. If the Reserve Shooter is in, then he'll have a full set everyone tells him to use and never diverge from.

Tenck

Obsessed said:
I find people teleport less on the new server. At least it makes life as a spy a bit easier.

I have noticed I can go on more rampages with Spy. Will try the Saharan spy set later today. I just pulled off a 35-11 game with it. Too bad it was on a Valve server where no one knows how to differentiate a suspicious character from a normal one :/

Chesskid1 said:

still need this, will edit when i find a helper
Send meh a Friend invite
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cloudius

Chesskid1

Banned
thank you very much cloudius for agreeing to help me once in a while :)

i even offered to gift him alpha protocol for this help, but he declined! so gracious!

<3 much love.

XeroSauce

Proven said:
The problem is, at least with the other classes it's just one weapon. The Pyro currently has two weapons like that, the Degreaser and the Axetinguisher. If the Reserve Shooter is in, then he'll have a full set everyone tells him to use and never diverge from.

Here's the thing.

With the Shotgun/RS, the Pyro pretty much loses most of his medium-long range capabilities. And even moreso with the RS, at least you can take 10 damage potshots with the shotgun.

The Detonator and Flare Gun are compliments to his short-range power; they provide not only harassment, but a way to deal with Heavies and Snipers at a range, two classes that can destroy the Pyro at their respective ranges. The fire guns are zoning tools and they are extremely effective at what they do.

The shotgun is a general use weapon. It's good is most situations and it compliments the Backburner/FT. The Reserve Shooter compliments the FT/Degreaser, and is really only reliable is close to medium-range. It's not the be all end all weapon for him.

I've seen many many Pyros run around with Maul/Backscratcher/Powerjack and Backburner simply because it works with them. There's a mindset that only a certain loadout is useful for victory, (DG/RS/Axe, or for Heavy, Tomi/Sandvich/GRU) when in reality, it depends on how you play the class and what you know to do in each situation.

Add in the fact that the RS is only three shots and it'd take a meatshot or two to kill a Demo/Soldier, plus Pyro has the SLOWEST shotgun reloading speed of all the classes, and you can see that it's really not as much of a power creep as you think.

XeroSauce

Blizzard said:
That's good. The Scottish resistance was so overpowered that everyone was using it. >.>

Honestly don't even know why that happened. :( Comp players, maybe? No idea.

Addemdum:
Also remember that the Flare Gun does 90 damage crits on a enemy when they are on fire at ANY RANGE, and the RS with do a maximum of 81 damage close range with mini-crits if all pellets hit, 110 point blank if all pellets hit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
XeroSauce said:
Honestly don't even know why that happened. :( Comp players, maybe? No idea.

Addemdum:
Also remember that the Flare Gun does 90 damage crits on a enemy when they are on fire at ANY RANGE, and the RS with do a maximum of 81 damage close range with mini-crits if all pellets hit, 110 point blank if all pellets hit.
I tested the RS shooter in matches and TR_walkway for way way too long.
It's a lot better than people give it credit for and fits the Pyro very well at close-closemid range. You can do airblast 90+80 a lot faster than flare.

XeroSauce

Hazaro said:
I tested the RS shooter in matches and TR_walkway for way way too long.
It's a lot better than people give it credit for and fits the Pyro very well at close-closemid range. You can do airblast 90+80 a lot faster than flare.

I think I'm calculating it wrong, because the mini-crits apply 135% damage bonus, but it also gets damage ramp-up?

Too much math for someone who just woke up.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
This seems like an arbitrary definition that Yeef made up. How can I rephrase this so you can understand:

They might give the pyro a new weapon! This might help the pyro become better for once, instead of worse like usually happens with patches! Don't you want the pyro to have the ability to do better?

I don't know how to explain. :( Both you and another guy seem to not want the pyro to have a weapon because it would be overpowered. Do you not consider the pyro underpowered? What is the source of your hate, Skywalker? Do you perhaps work for Valve?

*seethes with pyro rage*
Pyro is my second most played class (after Scout). The thing is, I'd prefer the game be balanced all around than just having my preferred classes mindlessly buffed without considering how it affects the game as a whole.

Proven said:

Flamethrower

Degreaser
-10% damage

That would have solidified its role as an airblast machine that is also designed for quickswitch shenanigans. Or even swap the airblast cost with the regular flamethrower (make it 25) so you know the point of the weapon is switching to your secondary/melee and the regular flamethrower is best for airblasting.

The other issue is that no class has to switch weapons as much as a Pyro. Just about any of us can jump onto a Valve server, pick any other class, and with only the primary weapon and access to right click score much better than you would as a Pyro in the same situation (for the purposes of this argument, the knife, the medigun, and the sticky bomb launcher are considered the primaries, but you could probably score better using only the Enforcer, Blut, and Pipe launcher anyway).

So, the Pyro is now a bag of tricks. Even the demoknight paired with a grenade launcher feels more solid and cohesive to me.

The only other buff they could give the Pyro now would just be a flat buff to his weapon switch. Give him something like +20% faster weapon switch on all weapons and nerf the Degreaser a little bit. Then he'll feel like a bag of tricks character from just vanilla play.
interesting ideas, but I'd go a different direction with it. I'd increase the base flamethrower's damage by 10% (same as the backburner's current stats). Keep the degreaser as it is now, but drop afterburn by 50% instead of 25% and drop the backburner to the current stock flamethrower's damage, but increase the back crit angle to 135 degrees and reduce the airblast cost to 40. This way, the roles of the three are much more clearly defined. Stock is best for flaming, degreaser is best for weapon heckling and backburner is best for flanking and pretending to be a spy.

Blizzard said:
I consider "proper" to be more of an opinion though. The axetinguisher, ubersaw, and equalizer are probably used by the majority of pyros, medics, and soldiers. They help the class out. I guess I don't really have a problem with one weapon being best and the others merely options. I don't know that Valve typically buffs class stats wholesale. They seem to adjust weapons instead.
In some ways you and I are very different people. Having all of the weapons balanced with one another is the key feature of doing unlocks right. Otherwise, you get situations like [any other game with unlocks] where new players that only have the stock loadouts are at a huge disadvantage.

For the record, I'd argue that the equalizer and ubersaw are both overpowered (the equalizer moreso). I think the ubersaw needs to have the powerjack's melee vulnerability. I'm not sure how you'd fix the equalizer without changing it entirely.

Obsessed said:

But it still has wonky melee lag compensation.

And for whatever reason Pyros can hit me even if I am a few feet away from the end of their flame.
Crappy melee is a staple of the source engine. Nothing will change that.

As for pyros, the flames you see have nothing to do with the actual flame particles.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
XeroSauce said:
I think I'm calculating it wrong, because the mini-crits apply 135% damage bonus, but it also gets damage ramp-up?

It might be the offline practice maps / tr_walkway talking but I believe it goes up to 110 or so?
Even in online games getting meatshots for 90, or far away pot shots on jumping people for 20/30/even 50 sometimes is really nice.

Yeef

They also doubled the bonus on the Cladehehahadhaskdajmor charge. So it charges for an extra second instead of half a second.

XeroSauce said:

Yup. Minicrits get ramp up. A closish-range hit will all 10 pellets will do 122 damage. Mid range usually gets you like 80 or so if your aim is decent.

Tenck said:
I have noticed I can go on more rampages with Spy. Will try the Saharan spy set later today. I just pulled off a 35-11 game with it. Too bad it was on a Valve server where no one knows how to differentiate a suspicious character from a normal one :/

Saharan set is best when nobody has a mic.

Top Bottom