• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

ArtistDude88 said:
There are female models out there for Scout, Spy, Medic, and Heavy... Possibly more! Not sure about the sexy bit though.
The ChemicalAlia ones are particularly well done, and she tried to avoid making them over-sexualized.

Tenck

Boney said:
I now want female characters

sexy sexy spy would be sexy

You want to get backstabbed by a sexy spy? Well if they ever introduce female characters I'll be sure to search for you.

Good spies and good snipers (esp ones that wear a mask) I hate.

I'd say I'm Average, so average spies are hated too :D!

Edit: Just took Artist's spot as 3rd. Solid is next :D
Code:
1	 Metaphorically	2,912	
2	 SolidSnake	1,410                
3	 Tenck	          651

Forkball

To watch .dem files do I need to type them into the console? Is there a way to convert .dem to .mpg or .avi?

Also Kuro should stop complaining about getting Demoknight'd on Nucleus. You're a zoomed in sniper, it's no different than getting backstabbed. Plus to even get to you I have to go all the way across the map and dodge about a million Pyros and dash past the spawn exits where a heavy could come out of at any moment.

GAF is getting a bit smarter when it comes to Demoknights on Nucleus though. Normally I can easily score over 1:1 but yesterday (or two days ago, time is an illusion to me) I was only 20:24 because I always ran into some damn Pyro armada.

Yeef

Tenck said:
You want to get backstabbed by a sexy spy? Well if they ever introduce female characters I'll be sure to search for you.

I'd say I'm Average, so average spies are hated too :D!

Edit: Just took Artist's spot as 3rd. Solid is next :D
Code:
1	 Metaphorically	2,912	
2	 SolidSnake	1,410                
3	 Tenck	          651
Those stats are only for the last 30 days. Since (other than Solid) they haven't been playing much lately, it's only natural that you'd close in on them.

[EDIT]
Forkball said:
To watch .dem files do I need to type them into the console? Is there a way to convert .dem to .mpg or .avi?
Do demoui in the console (or just shift+f2) to bring up the demo playback panel. Click load and select the demo (it won't load unless it's in the tf folder for some reason). Then, once the demo starts, close the demoui and it'll be just as if you were watching the game live on sourcetv. You can fly around, switch who you spectate, and switch between 3rd and 1st person. To record videos, just use fraps or any other similar program. You could also use that demo to replay converter I posted earlier to watch them in the replay editor and make movies as if they were any other replay.

Why does quick match often connect me to servers that have cheats enabled? Just now I connected to a Night Team server where the enemies were flying around and had constant crits, and the next match was this server that has you "roll" for various cheats/abilities. It's getting pretty annoying.

Yeef

Quickplay works on a points system. Once per day, each player that plays on a server adds (or subtracts) points from the server based on how long they played/how quickly they left. For the first 20 hours that a new account plays Valve servers get a score bonus so that you're more likely to connect to their servers. After 20 hours, Valve servers don't get the bonus, so, based on score, you're just as likely to be connected to a shitty 32-man instant spawn server.

To put it more concisely: morons like stupid shit like that and that makes it more likely for you to connect to those kinds of servers. I'd recommend just using the server browser and putting include Valve in the filters to find a Valve server.

jediyoshi

Tkawsome said:
Why does quick match often connect me to servers that have cheats enabled? Just now I connected to a Night Team server where the enemies were flying around and had constant crits, and the next match was this server that has you "roll" for various cheats/abilities. It's getting pretty annoying.

Just use the server browser and join servers with nothing fishy in the tags. You'll probably have a better time when you know what map you'll be joining into and sort by lowest ping.

Tkawsome said:

First off, blacklist all those shitty Nighteam servers. Seriously.

Then make a filter to block "RTD".

Just start up that blacklist and filter! It carries on to the quick match finder, or so at least I've found it has. :)

Sciz

Valve servers are fun to dick around on, but I find that they're even jankier than us, and that's pretty damn janky.

Blizzard

Banned
I actually like RTD sometimes for playing around. It's not as bad as all-crits, or something like night team would be. RTD feels like it screws you over as much as it helps you. One time you might get noclip, but the next time you might get timebombed or frozen in place.

The only time I like RTD is when I'm dicking around in trade servers. It provides some spice to the otherwise mindless spawnkilling and spamming the chat for trades.

Tenck

Yeef said:
Those stats are only for the last 30 days. Since (other than Solid) they haven't been playing much lately, it's only natural that you'd close in on them.

Yeef you just broke my heart :'(

Can't wait till next month then! I've played 60 hours these past two weeks because of the Gaf server. Since December of last year I had accumulated around 100 hours when I had just bought TF2. Gaf server is my favorite server and because of all the good people that play on it, I gladly come back and try to get a bit better.

Thanks for the server Yeef.

moojito

The new server certainly seems a lot less janky than the old one. With the last one it was like being on a 56k modem again, but this new one is alright, even with the 120ms ping.

Pity about the dodgy map choices, though. I much prefer a good solid rotation so I can get to know the maps.

Yeef

moojito said:
Pity about the dodgy map choices, though. I much prefer a good solid rotation so I can get to know the maps.
As far as stock maps go, everyone knows them, so i don't think that's necessary.

I have been pondering the idea of changing maxrounds to 0 for custom maps, so we'd just play as many rounds as the time limit allowed. I think that would give people time to learn them a bit more. Where to build, where the choke points are, etc. A lot of the time, especially on 5Cp custom maps, the game can end before everyone even finishes downloading the map.

Yeef said:
I have been pondering the idea of changing maxrounds to 0 for custom maps, so we'd just play as many rounds as the time limit allowed. I think that would give people time to learn them a bit more. Where to build, where the choke points are, etc. A lot of the time, especially on 5Cp custom maps, the game can end before everyone even finishes downloading the map.
Please do this. I don't know why but sometimes I get into a map super late. I have the map. I have a super low ping. But it just takes longer to load than everyone else. It doesn't really bother me that much but, on some of those 5 cp maps it's already a round over.

Tenck

Yeef said:
As far as stock maps go, everyone knows them, so i don't think that's necessary.

Yeah I've downloaded some maps and when I finally get into the server, you guys have finished some maps already!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Hylian7 said:
Did I miss Janky-time or has the server never been active tonight? I haven't played in a week or two.

You're probably on the wrong jank server, there's a new one.

Tenck

mojiimbo said:
Anybody else get this when there were seemingly still open slots?

Yeah getting it right now. Everytime I am downloading a map it kicks me because of bad snapshot. So annoying.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn that stupid custom map. Had map rate votes the entire match!

Probably 6-9!

TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!

I was playing like shit tonight. Someone mentioned mouse sensitivity doesn't "tell you anything" and that I should mess with something else if my aim isn't good. Anyone know what that something else might be?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:

Yeah, that shit is annoying and serves no purpose. Dismissing the vote just makes the damn vote come back the next time you die.

Acerac

Banned
Iadien said:
Yeah, that shit is annoying and serves no purpose. Dismissing the vote just makes the damn vote come back the next time you die.
If you vote it typically doesn't reappear.

Granted, until down voted maps start showing up less it really does serve no function. Would there be any way to show the average scores for maps when we vote for new ones to give people an idea of which ones are worthwhile?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Acerac said:

Granted, until down voted maps start showing up less it really does serve no function. Would there be any way to show the average scores for maps when we vote for new ones to give people an idea of which ones are worthwhile?
I voted terrible 9 times...it should've been 20 times! :mad:

Conbrio, some scouts prefer to turn their mouse sensitivity to '1'.

You can't do a 180 easily, but you tend to focus a lot more on your aiming and movement when it's that low.

People like boonoo, who's never on anymore, set it that low and 'move' into the shot.

I personally don't prefer it that low, but I can see it helping in situations where you're over estimating shots.

that votings got to go...I keep getting the revote box. I cant be the only one just hitting whatever number im closest to just to get rid of the box (making the whole system moot and inaccurate)

Kuro Madoushi said:
I voted terrible 9 times...it should've been 20 times! :mad:

Conbrio, some scouts prefer to turn their mouse sensitivity to '1'.

You can't do a 180 easily, but you tend to focus a lot more on your aiming and movement when it's that low.

People like boonoo, who's never on anymore, set it that low and 'move' into the shot.

I personally don't prefer it that low, but I can see it helping in situations where you're over estimating shots.

I set mine to 1. I'll get used to it hopefully. 2 just wasn't doing it for me I guess.

And yeah, I should learn how to move in to the shot rather than fiddling with the mouse so much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, conbrio, it's personal preference.

I set it a bit on the high side because I like jumping across, swinging mouse for a quick shot, and dodging. I will say it's a lot harder to get set for a 2nd good shot the way I do it.

I'd worry more about positioning than aim at your level.

Small things like awareness and positioning towards health. Where to be when facing certain classes. When and where in a firefight you can just dodge and reload. Wheb NOT to shoot.

One good example was on well...scout had a solly with his back turned and pecked at him instead of running up and getting a good meatshot.

I'd also recommend not moving your mouse to aim too much if you're REALLY close to another scout. Definitely move into the shot in that case.

If you've got good position, it'll make shooting easier. Just be patient and watch for opportunities instead of panicking.

I'll let you get two glancing shots in exchange for one good meatshot any day.

Prodigal

Banned
I will give someone my Bill's hat if you can help me figure out what's wrong with my TF2 client!

Recently it's been hanging every so often and after it unfreezes my framerate goes from 150 to 20-40. Re-installing seemed to fix it before but now for some reason nothing I do will correct this issue...my framerate is stuck way too low. TF2's the only game this happens in too!

Narag

Prodigal said:
I will give someone my Bill's hat if you can help me figure out what's wrong with my TF2 client!

Recently it's been hanging every so often and after it unfreezes my framerate goes from 150 to 20-40. Re-installing seemed to fix it before but now for some reason nothing I do will correct this issue...my framerate is stuck way too low. TF2's the only game this happens in too!

Reinstall video drivers?

Prodigal said:

Could be an over heating graphics card, try GPUZ to see what your temp when playing tf2 before the fps drop.

If not do the above, btw what is your graphics card?

Kuro Madoushi said:

Probably 6-9!
I think the voting options has changed, 1 is to "Dismiss". I think before it was "Terrible".

Forkball

Dat gravity
03159E5AF3CB101C790749B8059779115213D839

This Friday is the one year anniversary of the Mannconomy Update, I wonder if they will do anything special. Just give me loadouts!

And I really hope they don't nerf the Tomislav that badly. Why does Valve hate every minigun besides the original?

Prodigal said:

Try defragging the GCF.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256615

Bluth54

Forkball said:
This Friday is the one year anniversary of the Mannconomy Update, I wonder if they will do anything special. Just give me loadouts!

I would guess if we're going to get any sort of big update before Halloween it's going to be this upcoming Friday.

Personally I'm hoping for another big uber update style multi-day update.

Yeef

Waghosto: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558668836872640305/864E8690705284574661E1BB65EAFD3DCA216E75/

Acerac said:

Dwonvoted maps already show up less and highly voted maps show up more. It's been that way for a couple of weeks now.

Votebox should only come up 3 seconds after you die and shouldn't come up at all once you've voted for a map. If it's causing so much trouble i can get rid of it and just make maps more likely to come up if I like them. :D

Cloudius12 said:
yep

22/24
You should only get that message when there are 24 or more players. Are you sure it was only 22/24? If you don't refresh the server browser it'll just show the number of players that there were playing the last time you refreshed.

I do have a single reserve slot set up that only I (and Remy) can join into. The reason is the new host only rents slots in pairs (24, 26, 28, 30, etc.). The Replay bot and the SourceTV bot each take a slot, which is why I got a 26 slot server. The thing is, whenever the replay bot is enabled it automatically increases the slot count by 1, but the SourceTV bot doesn't. So that means there's 25 slots (which is why a few times over the last couple of days you'd see 12v13 games). I set up that extra spot as a reserve slot so that we'd have the proper number of players instead of 25.

Acerac

Banned
Yeef said:
Dwonvoted maps already show up less and highly voted maps show up more. It's been that way for a couple of weeks now.
I knew it was like that on Janky3, I'm glad to hear it has carried over.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

Probably 6-9!

TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!TERRIBLE!
I saw maybe 1-2 votes in 2 maps. Are you sure your computer isn't broken?

Yeef said:
You should only get that message when there are 24 or more players. Are you sure it was only 22/24? If you don't refresh the server browser it'll just show the number of players that there were playing the last time you refreshed.
Yes I have refreshed many times and manually counted the numbers of players that were playing. Something has changed!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MatthewB92 said:
Wait, it won't? That has to be a lie!
Yes, as hard it is to believe, one day, in the future... We will finally get a cheap server that has no jank! And, it will send us Ice Cream, though 3D-Email. It will be glorious future. Also, mustaches will be the big craze.

Also, it looks like Bomba town is just dead. And I need 3 more Iron Curtain Kills to overtake Inkwell as having the most kills with that weapon.

Top Bottom