• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Anony

Yeef said:
"Nerf." I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Hint: They buffed the pyro.

Backburner is exactly the same.
Flamethrower now does Backburner Damage
Degreaser does 1% less damage, but loses the afterburn penalty.
compared to vanilla/preupdate pyros

also, right now, every class can easily counter pyros, they're barely even worth using for spychecking anymore

Yeef

Anony said:
compared to vanilla/preupdate pyros

also, right now, every class can easily counter pyros, they're barely even worth using for spychecking anymore
I'm not sure what that has to do with your original statement. You were complaining about Valve nerfing the pyro in the beta when they've actually buffed the pyro. he still does less damage than he did at launch (by about 6%), but he also didn't have an airblast at launch.

Sianos

Good games last night, even if I did get kicked in the middle of it. :p

Practicing, turning off mouse acceleration, upping my sensitivity to six (low sensitivity just feels awkward to me, espcially since I have limited desk room and like to quick 180 to check for spies), and changing to a smaller crosshair definitely have helped my aim, but I still have a long way to go. I played pretty well last night, I can definitely see the improvement since I first started playing Scout seriously.

Noticed I'm being a bit too conservative with my milk, a few times I held onto it for "later" when it could have saved me. Still, it's been amazing and helped me get out of some sticky situations at full health.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hard to take MetaFAILically seriously when he plays on the GAF server since you goddamn GAF n00bs don't know how to spycheck and do follow ups (I blame Yeef).

This is part of the reason for my 'boring' video. It's a long ass round, BUT I wanted to include everything in there, not just bullshot highlights that make me look like a god.

I do my best to always chase after spies who I suspect have DR'ed (any spy that dies :U). Sometimes they actually have died and I (obviously) never find them, sometimes I lose the trail and they get away (still took the nearby health, so at least they have to run around looking for some), but when I succesfully track them, steal the health and ammo, milk them, force them to pop a second time, track them once again, and finish them off it feels good.

More often than not one or two occurs, but that just makes it all the sweeter.

Yeef said:
Server will kick you after 2 minutes of inactivity, apparently. I thought it was 3, but it's 2. If you manually go to spectator the server won't kick you, but if you're idle for a minute it moves you to spectator. If you're idle another minute after that it'll kick you. So if you're going AFK switch to spectator to save your slot!

Thanks for the advice, Yeef. My tea was boiling, so I had to leave and take care of that. :p

Yes, I drink tea.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder if there's a balanced way to make pyro more offensive.

Long range useless
Midrange no advantage
Close range easily countered and isn't as strong as it should be

That said, the class has to be better yhan derpers running around and spraying cause they can't aim.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I do wonder if there's a balanced way to make pyro more offensive.

Long range useless
Midrange no advantage
Close range easily countered and isn't as strong as it should be

That said, the class has to be better yhan derpers running around and spraying cause they can't aim.

but he has a freaking flame thrower people should die against the pyro on a 1:1 close encounter, right now the other classes can easily kill the pyro or just safely retreat while burning to the nearest health pack, flame thrower should definitely do more damage, however to prevent W + m1'ing a group of enemies and killing them all, flame thrower damage should decrease the more people you set on fire at the same time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
"Nerf." I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Hint: They buffed the pyro.

Backburner is exactly the same.
Flamethrower now does Backburner Damage
Degreaser does 1% less damage, but loses the afterburn penalty.
I still think the Degreaser gives to much utility compared to damage lost. Maybe change the -10% to a -25% (So it does about 11% less damage then it does now). Maybe I value the Utility more then Valve does though. I would hate it if the weapon switch time was fiddled with though.

Sciz

Weapon switch speed is just one of those variables that shouldn't be messed with, like minigun spinup time. Changing them has never done anything good for the game.

If they want to do something worthwhile for pyros, give them the Attendant set's +10% movement speed as a baseline effect so they can catch people and get in and out of combat more easily.

I played around with the Attendant set for the first time today. The added speed was amazing, and yet the added bullet damage really did suck. I haven't decided whether I really like it or not; I used to be able to barely hold my own against Scouts and now they all wreck me...

Proven said:
It's definitely his channel... I still remember watching this, and then gaining sympathy to Kuro's cause. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJWm8X6PBQY
Not that I'm a fan of Demo melee's priority anymore, but 8:28 was a pretty clear case of "You should be dead by this point." He's firing maybe a quarter of a second before the Demo reaches him, and he still has enough time to throw up his Super Armor and survive a direct critical charge attack.

Maybe the DR's initial damage soaking capabilities should ramp up over time, so you can't keep flipping up and down the watch constantly and have perfect defense. It will still work against weaker hits at first, but doesn't protect at 90% resistance until you've had it up for a few seconds. So if you want to stab or take potshots at people, you have to give up that safety net temporarily.

Forkball

Ideally if a Pyro catches you off guard, they should win. This can happen if you use the Axtinguisher, but as we all know melee can be janky and if the enemy is just a little bit out of range, Pyro is useless and you are swinging wildly as a soldier pop shots you. Airblasting can be random at times and while some Pyros are pretty good at trapping opponents in a corner and finishing them off, not every map has tight corridors to take advantage of this.

They should either give the Pyro:
Damage buff
Afterburn buff/harder to get rid off/ more distracting visual effect
Speed buff (105% would be great to track down the slower, more deadlier classes yet still give Scouts and Medics room to escape and survive)
A shotgun that catches people on fire and the afterburn causes supercrits

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kuro Madoushi said:
what the hell?!?!??!

I know my attendant was lvl 100, and now it's 21???/??
According to TF2 items, it was always level 21.

Its that hat you crafted in the past month, right?

Proven

Which reminds me, I was playing Heavy for the first time in like a year the other day, and realized that if the spin up speed is debuffed, they'll need a better secondary than a shotgun for most engagements. But as long as they're using their minigun less often and people have more of a chance against them, I'm guessing people will be happy, right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsessed said:
No lie. I've caught Heavies off guard before and they still kill me before I kill them. Their spinup time is way too fast.
It is to be noted that Valve reduced the Heavies spin up time a while back.

Forkball said:
Ideally if a Pyro catches you off guard, they should win.
OXnn1.png

Forkball

SteveWinwood said:
http://i.imgur.com/OXnn1.png
I laughed, but you're lucky if you get the kill. Sometimes they will hop back just far enough to kill you and survive. Then on the kill screen they have 75% health.

XXP3o.png

Sciz

Proven said:
Which reminds me, I was playing Heavy for the first time in like a year the other day, and realized that if the spin up speed is debuffed, they'll need a better secondary than a shotgun for most engagements. But as long as they're using their minigun less often and people have more of a chance against them, I'm guessing people will be happy, right?
The shotgun is already pretty great if you want to play a heavy who can murder on the move.

n0b

Back when I was actually good at this game heavy shotgun was always a significant part of my kills. Its a good way to close distance on people outside of your normal range, as well as to get kills on people that are at less than full health trying to run around a corner or something since it does a nice big burst of damage instead of sustained damage.

Obsessed said:
No lie. I've caught Heavies off guard before and they still kill me before I kill them. Their spinup time is way too fast.
Get closer. Actually, get on them. Literally. Stand on them.

Yeef

If you catch a heavy off guard you should win assuming he's not overhealed or pocketed. A quick ignition, axstinguisher hit then a shotgun blast will do over 300 damage in a fraction of a second (assuming degreaser). A backburner should also take him out pretty quickly from behind.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
If you catch a heavy off guard you should win assuming he's not overhealed or pocketed. A quick ignition, axstinguisher hit then a shotgun blast will do over 300 damage in a fraction of a second (assuming degreaser). A backburner should also take him out pretty quickly from behind.
By quickly, you mean two seconds of continues fire, right?

Yeef said:
that's the thing, good pyros have adapted, they know they have to: quick-switch weapons, juggle, move, use the element of surprise,etc etc etc, etc.
however no other class have to master so many shenanigans to be effective.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
By quickly, you mean two seconds of continues fire, right?
No. Axstinguisher is 195 damage. Shotgun hit at that range is 90 damage. The afterburn plus the little bit of burn damage is enough to take care of the 15 left over damage. I do it all the time.

The Omega Man said:
that's the thing, good pyros have adapted, they know they have to: quick-switch weapons, juggle, move, use the element of surprise,etc etc etc, etc.
however no other class have to master so many shenanigans to be effective.

This is why I love the Reserve Shooter. So fun to pop dudes up then blast them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
No. Axstinguisher is 195 damage. Shotgun hit at that range is 90 damage. The afterburn plus the little bit of burn damage is enough to take care of the 15 left over damage. I do it all the time.
You said a backburner should take him out quickly from behind. This is not the case. Unless 2 seconds is quick for you. That method is using more then just the backburner, and in fact is best with the Degreaser.

I think I am going to go back to Attendant Pyro for a while, I just really like the speed boost. Does mean I am stuck with the Powerjack though, but the shotgun tends to be enough for most classes.

Oh lemme see if people are playing tf2 yet... Nope. I'll play some Binding of Issac.

30 mins later: Oh announcements! Check server info: 24/24...

Goddammit.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
You said a backburner should take him out quickly from behind. This is not the case. Unless 2 seconds is quick for you. That method is using more then just the backburner, and in fact is best with the Degreaser.
  1. You are wrong. Backburner does 460~ damage per second from behind (where it crits). That's enough to killed a heavy in less than a second, even accounting for lifetime falloff. There's no need for two seconds of continuous fire. You can see a convenient example here.
  2. Yeef said:

Boney

Banned
SteveWinwood said:
Oh lemme see if people are playing tf2 yet... Nope. I'll play some Binding of Issac.

30 mins later: Oh announcements! Check server info: 24/24...

Goddammit.
at least you got in, I've been waiting for an hour and no idea why I can't join :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
  1. You are wrong. Backburner does 460~ damage per second from behind (where it crits). That's enough to killed a heavy in less than a second, even accounting for lifetime falloff. There's no need for two seconds of continuous fire. You can see a convenient example here.
It does a range between 276-460. And that is only if every Particle Hits. The Flamethrower is one of the few weapons where a Criticle Hit particle does not have a set amount of damage.

Yeef

Brrt! I already mentioned that.

Yeef said:
You are wrong. Backburner does 460~ damage per second from behind (where it crits). That's enough to killed a heavy in less than a second, even accounting for lifetime falloff. There's no need for two seconds of continuous fire.

Also, if you're catching the heavy off guard you should be at point blank or near point blank, which means the vast majority of particles, if not all, will hit. Only silly [bad] pyros start flaming when they're out of range and undetected.

Try again, Kirby!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:(
Dunno who that medic was on Steel, I might have to dl that demo. For some reason, my replay won't save???? Something to do with the Direct Hit.

edit: ugh...so tired tonight. I played while hopped up on some Nyquil. Maybe it's the secret to direct hit?! :p

Top Bottom