• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:
Hell yeah, I agree. Pixar films are shit too because they were made for little kids. Mirite? Same goes for Disney. Mario games are horrible because they're so colorful, and if you disagree you're a little kid. ;)

*Shrug*

I've said it before I'll say it again, ponies and Breaking Bad are the two most watchable shows on tv today. I just run with a pony avatar/spray because the show makes me smile. I accept that some people won't give it a chance. I felt odd as hell when I found myself enjoying the first few episodes, but there's more to the show than what initially meets the eye.

It's cool though, gotta keep that nerd hierarchy intact. :p

Hurray for the perfect excuse to level my backburner!
I think Pixar films are very obviously targeted to half-adult audiences except possibly for Cars/Cars 2. No one criticized MLP for being colorful, did they? Unless it's an art style taste, but no one is complaining about that. Disney are generally kids' movies, sure.

Think of it this way -- if you go into a theater to watch a Pixar movie alone, no one cares. If you go to watch certain other movies targeted for kids alone, you instantly look like a pedophile. *shrug* I may find MLP creepy and/or annoying, but anyway it's pretty off topic for the thread.

Tenck

Dreams-Visions said:
happens often enough to be infuriating. especially since you can see your teammates health level.

Had this happen to me before but on accident. As a Spy, I always try to steal health packs so the enemy can't get them, even if I took like 10hp damage.

I was in a Harvest map, and this demo man had helped me take out two Pyros that were after me. So we go into that little shack thing near the enemy spawn point and I go in there with like 85% health and grab the med kit. He's almost dying and he goes in there expecting health. I tell him I'm sorry, and as soon as he types his reply another pyro comes in there and roasts us lol.

If I've done it to you guys on Gaf, no hard feelings!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cooljeanius said:
If there's one thing I hate it's dying right next to a health pack. Maybe one of the classes (Engineer? Medic? Heavy? Spy?) could get some sort of magnet item to draw health packs close to you if you get near to one.
Then you would die just outside of the range of the magnet. You know it is true.

*Pictures spy item that causes every health pack to automatically fly to him, no matter where he is*

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
I think Pixar films are very obviously targeted to half-adult audiences except possibly for Cars/Cars 2. No one criticized MLP for being colorful, did they? Unless it's an art style taste, but no one is complaining about that. Disney are generally kids' movies, sure.

Think of it this way -- if you go into a theater to watch a Pixar movie alone, no one cares. If you go to watch certain other movies targeted for kids alone, you instantly look like a pedophile. *shrug* I may find MLP creepy and/or annoying, but anyway it's pretty off topic for the thread.
People tend to not have any actual criticisms of the show other than what they can surmise from image macros that more objectionable members of the fanbase like to post. That being said, Lauren Faust was very clear with her intent for the show, to dispel the notion that tv for girls is vapid crap with no worth outside of the target audience. She wanted to create entertainment that people of all ages and genders could enjoy, and in my opinion she succeeded.

I'm a weirdo though. I have movies like Labyrinth, Aladdin, and Sword in the Stone right next to Kill Bill, Fight Club, and Dr. Strangelove. I feel that entertainment can be quality despite the target audience. I've grown past the age where I am worried about foolish people judging me about my tastes in entertainment; I'm no longer in high school.

Like you said, this is getting rather off topic. I go out of my way not to bring up ponies unless somebody else mentions them first, both in game and in this thread due to the fact that I know it causes people to be on edge. If anyone wishes to continue this conversation, I'd prefer that we did it through PMs. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have been trying to get better with that lately. I go for the Health pack, but make sure to check that the Medic doesn't need it before grabbing it. Sure, I am gimping them slightly from an uber, but I want back on the battle field 1 second faster.

I always find it slightly amusing/annoying to see a player panicking for health on Steel. "Where are you going, There is a pack right over there. And the spawn door is not that far ether"

Acerac said:
Lauren Faust (the person in charge of the ponies project for the most recent reboot) has gone on record to say that she developed the show to make it something the whole family can enjoy.
I honestly don't even care. But this is the TF2 thread where I make fun of all the people I play TF2 with because I know they can take it. After all, they play TF2 on the GAF server. :3

Acerac

Banned
Professor Beef said:
I hate when the person I'm healing goes to grab the health anyways.
They can see your health. They obviously know that you're low and that you're actively healing them. Despite this, they'll still grab that health pack to restore 30-40 health when you're on the edge of death. Just one of the many reasons I don't play medic in pubs.
Togglesworlh said:
I honestly don't even care. But this is the TF2 thread where I make fun of all the people I play TF2 with because I know they can take it. After all, they play TF2 on the GAF server. :3
No worries, it's all in good fun. I just carry the pony avatar/run with the pony spray in game so I tend to put up a defense whenever people are downing on the show.

The GAF server is serious business for scubs like me. I started just before this game went free to play. The two months before f2p hit were rough, but the moment that shit hit I suddenly became a god in pub servers. It's gotten to the point where they're so damned easy to dominate at it's practically masturbation. The main problem is that I can't play my favorite class when I join them because the players are too incompetent to be worth healing! On the other hand GAF still gives a good challenge on most nights, I'm always slightly disappointed in my opposition when I can pull off a good k/d ratio with soldier. ;)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I actually don'r care if anyone likes MLP. I like other animations, but it's the sexualization of it from the hardcore fans thats offputting.

MYGODTHISISTURNINGINTOATHIRDPONYTHREAD.

Ummm...fuck quick fix. We gonna get more people who don't know what they're talking about talk shit about stickies and tomislavs being OP. Nerf Douche Ringer.

sixghost

Kuro Madoushi said:
I actually don'r care if anyone likes MLP. I like other animations, but it's the sexualization of it from the hardcore fans thats offputting.

MYGODTHISISTURNINGINTOATHIRDPONYTHREAD.

Ummm...fuck quick fix. We gonna get more people who don't know what they're talking about talk shit about stickies and tomislavs being OP. Nerf Douche Ringer.
what? This thread just took a dark turn.

Chinner

Banned
okay stop turning this into a halo thread.

so when is the new update coming out guys? halloween seems like a sure bet now.

Chinner said:
okay stop turning this into a halo thread.

New items aside, What I am looking forward the most is what kind of new gameplay are they going to debut, a saxton hale boss mode is rumored, but the raid mode would just be awesome

Professor Beef said:
I hate when the person I'm healing goes to grab the health anyways.
When that happens, 90% of the time I rage quit.

This is pretty awesome
KEBpx.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
okay stop turning this into a PONY thread.

Likely Halloween, though there will likely be small updates here and there.

I would still like to see a 'do most dmg to mega boss' type of gameplay.

One Sexton Hale Super character (controlled by PC) with lots of speed, dmg, range, and the team to do the most dmg to him at the end of time wins OR you do do it so that dmging him fills up a 'cap point' that runs down a time a la KOTH once it's capped.

You'd have to decide if it was worth it dmging him or going after the other team. Sentries might ruin this though.

DarkKyo

http://i.imgur.com/CNUDI.jpg

About as far as I got with my grenade launcher skin... I'm debating whether I should go further or just give up and take on another project(I think I fudged up at some point and I cant add the level of texture detail I'd like to...)

Proven

Games were nice last night, and I'm glad I finally got to play on Croissant. It was a bit of a roll though, so here's more of the map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJIHGe6ALvQ

Something I've noticed, although mostly on other servers: when people go Gunslinger Engie, they completely throw sentry placement out the window. It still matters! Bad placement means that your sentry will never get a kill or assist. At most, it'll do around 30 damage and then they'll be on to you. Good placement means giving the sentry some cover so it's harder to figure out what direction it's shooting from and using those 2 seconds that it's building to quickly run to another point of attack. Good placement should get you around 3 revenge crits per mini sentry, unless you're hopelessly outnumbered (in which case you should be running your ass away and focusing on dispensers and teleporters until reinforcements arrive). You know you're doing it wrong when you're just continually feeding points to your opponents. And often it's better to just plop it down for a defense/fall back area rather than an attack.

I'm finding myself switching back to the regular flamethrower when using the flaregun. The Degreaser is great with the shotgun, but the flaregun has to reload after every shot so the speed switch doesn't help as much. So I just play more defensively and focus on making that burn damage count. Because I'm overall less focused with axtinguishing, it gives me a lot more room to experiment with melee weapons (and get random crit Homewrecker kills).

You know you've been getting better at Pyro when:
A) Fallengorn starts killing you less and gets reflected more.
B) You're doing more consistent damage and often getting random flame crits because of it.

The only thing left is to have Valve give the flamethrower random reflect full crits.

n0b said:
3. I don't think tomislav is BAD, I just think its bad for a heavy that actually knows what they are doing. Its like baby's first minigun. Shorter spin up and faster move speed helps with your positioning mistakes, no sound lets people who aren't used to listening for audio cues hear spies, sentries and other characters more easily as well as help them learn the timing for jumping in on people without all of the risks.

4. Heavy is not the actual weakest class, but is very low down on the list. They are slightly better in pub games because they have more control over large engagements, but still, the fact is, if everyone gangs up, they die. At equal skill levels, soldiers, demos, spies, and snipers should all handle them easily. Scouts and Pyros have a tough battle but they still have a fighting chance. Engies will lose on their own and win with their sentries. Heavies NEED medics, because they are weak without that extra health and constant healing. The only time they are scary is when they have a medic, and pretty much EVERY class is scary with a medic.
Thank you! That's exactly how I've felt about it.
ArtistDude88 said:
Heavy's Wood Chipper is too OP

ChipperTest02.gif
A minigun you'd have to reload? That'd be fun. It'd be great if they got counted as projectiles. Even if they were unreflectable projectiles (like needles).

Sciz

Proven said:
Something I've noticed, although mostly on other servers: when people go Gunslinger Engie, they completely throw sentry placement out the window. It still matters! Bad placement means that your sentry will never get a kill or assist. At most, it'll do around 30 damage and then they'll be on to you. Good placement means giving the sentry some cover so it's harder to figure out what direction it's shooting from and using those 2 seconds that it's building to quickly run to another point of attack. Good placement should get you around 3 revenge crits per mini sentry, unless you're hopelessly outnumbered (in which case you should be running your ass away and focusing on dispensers and teleporters until reinforcements arrive). You know you're doing it wrong when you're just continually feeding points to your opponents. And often it's better to just plop it down for a defense/fall back area rather than an attack.
This isn't wrong, but there is something to be said for occasionally throwing a mini down out in the open. Sometimes it'll just get blown up or melted into slag by a pyro. And then sometimes the sentry itself isn't the threat, but rather an obvious distraction to give the engineer a couple precious seconds to make his foe regret underestimating the shotgun. And then sometimes it's just in such a bloody obvious spot that it's completely unexpected and the target is dead before his brain connects the incoming damage with the blinky thing out in the middle of the field.

Proven said:
When I play Gunslinger, about 50% of my sentry placement is specifically do make the enemy panic and focus on the sentry while the rest of my team kills the enemy.

If they instead choose to ignore the mini-sentry and focus on me, all the better.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Proven said:
You know you've been getting better at Pyro when:
A) Fallengorn starts killing you less and gets reflected more.
B) You're doing more consistent damage and often getting random flame crits because of it.
You definitely saved your team's butt at least twice last night.

Both you and Pangloss(?) have gotten better as pyro.

Proven

Yeef said:
So that's what my friend was trying to show me last night...

It was as bad as I expected it to be.

Back to minis, there are a couple times I'll put it out into the open, but those times are specifically for funneling Scouts trying to flank for a couple seconds (usually on KotH maps) and for luring Spies. All other cases the closest I'll get to having it "open" are similar to times I place a mini two levels below the near capped cart on Hightower. The handful of people that actually see it while trying to desperately block the final capture can be focused on before they get a clear shot.

Clydefrog said:
Wow, people actually use the non-headshotting medic crossbow?

If your goal is to be a medic-medic and never ever be battle-medic, the Medieval Set isn't a bad combo.

That said, I can never give up the Ubersaw.

Yeef said:
I never said I was good. If I had to describe myself, then I'm probably mid-tier on the GAF server. Also, I'm very streaky. Looking at my stats, it seems I lose out a lot to people that main soldier or are really good like Neroh. When I play I try to fill a role that is missing. Usually, that is engineer which is my most played class. Sometimes I go spy or scout to knock out teleporters. Maybe medic now and again.

But thank you Fallengorn for appreciating my mastering of the pyro class. Getting better at reflecting your rockets.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Pangloss said:
I never said I was good. If I had to describe myself, then I'm probably mid-tier on the GAF server. Also, I'm very streaky. Looking at my stats, it seems I lose out a lot to people that main soldier or are really good like Neroh. When I play I try to fill a role that is missing. Usually, that is engineer which is my most played class. Sometimes I go spy or scout to knock out teleporters. Maybe medic now and again.

But thank you Fallengorn for appreciating my mastering of the pyro class. Getting better at reflecting your rockets.
I don't main soldier and make you my bitch all the time. U:

edit: Oh, n0b! :(

http://www.youtube.com/user/elliottpohl#p/u/0/JmFoOYpfA_w

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Pangloss said:
No you don't main soldier, and I would not equate you with Neroh as well. I guess I will put you in your own category called "Lack of Humility", population one.
Mayor of Lack of Humility! FUCK YA!

Neroh and I have different strengths. I'm stronger in support classes, he's stronger in attack classes.

I do remember one time me and him went on this one scrub freefrag server and destroyed the other team as doucheringer spies.

AcciDante

n0b said:
I know I'm awful currently. Am I supposed to consider this as the gauntlet being thrown? Do I need to start practicing to be good again?
Play more and complain less! You'll be back in no time!

Top Bottom