• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

But demoknighting is not as useful as demomanning!

More importantly, I've written a script that automatically uploads demos from the server to the stats site. It'll upload that it doesn't have yet on the hour. note: if a map is still in progress the latest demo will be incomplete, but when the the site will re-download the full demo on the next go-around.

So, here is my last time saying this this:

Demos are up! http://tf2.gafserver.com/demos/

Sciz

Togglesworlh said:
Haha Skullcutter. What a worthless piece of junk.
You're a worthless piece of junk.

Forkball said:
Persian Persuader is still great for Demoknighting even with the nerf.
For straight melee attacking it's fine, but it cripples your ability to pair a shield with the grenade launcher pretty hard.

Yeef said:
But demoknighting is not as useful as demomanning!
Only because Valve refuses to nerf the sticky arm time enough to keep it from being the superior offensive and defensive choice in every circumstance.

But the sticky ISN'T the superior offensive and defensive weapon in every situation. In fact, it never is, unless you're aiming to destroy a sentry nest.

Sciz

Togglesworlh said:
But the sticky ISN'T the superior offensive and defensive weapon in every situation. In fact, it never is, unless you're aiming to destroy a sentry nest.
I'd be a lot more inclined to believe that if every career demo on the server didn't have something like a 5:1 kill ratio between the stickies and the grenades.

That's because years of idiotic rants have led them to believe stickies are better, so they use stickies primarily, and pipes as backup, when it should be the other way around.

If more demos would learn how to actually aim with the pipe bombs, they would absolutely destroy, nonstop.

You know how in the tips it says to set traps with stickies and wait for people to run past them? Do people actually do that? Mostly I just see stickies being spammed. Valve should make a sticky launcher that encourages the player to use it to make traps. Perhaps one with stickies that can only be placed on walls and ceilings that do more damage to unsuspecting enemies walking by them.

cooljeanius said:
You know how in the tips it says to set traps with stickies and wait for people to run past them? Do people actually do that? Mostly I just see stickies being spammed. Valve should make a sticky launcher that encourages the player to use it to make traps. Perhaps one with stickies that can only be placed on walls and ceilings that do more damage to unsuspecting enemies walking by them.
Scottish Resistance. Slower charge time and the way it operates doesn't make it efficient in direct combat, but it makes it good for setting up multiple trap doorways and taking guard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Togglesworlh said:
That's because years of idiotic rants have led them to believe stickies are better, so they use stickies primarily, and pipes as backup, when it should be the other way around.

If more demos would learn how to actually aim with the pipe bombs, they would absolutely destroy, nonstop.
But pipes are first.

The problem is at ranges you want to keep locked down they aren't as good as stickies.
Spam them for area denial and shoot at heavies / in corridors.
Then stickies to push team back, then reload pipes, spam to keep team back. Wait for team to push up, reload both, repeat.

The main issue is that I don't have the damage output to kill 4 people at once with the nade launcher. With stickies I do. I'll launch my nades first because of their higher DPS, but then STICKIES.

If you can hit with your pipes every time, they are undeniably better, even accounting for reload time, unless the fight is lasting longer than it should.

Or if you're one person fighting against the entire opposing team. In which case, you're doing it wrong, anyway, but it's sometimes unavoidable.

Oreoleo

Was nice to see so many old school players online tonight. You know who you are. Hope you guys come out more often!

And sorry PotatoeMasher/Lukeman for Blizzard kicking you. It was nothing personal <3

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Togglesworlh said:
If you can hit with your pipes every time, they are undeniably better, even accounting for reload time, unless the fight is lasting longer than it should.

Or if you're one person fighting against the entire opposing team. In which case, you're doing it wrong, anyway, but it's sometimes unavoidable.
But I can win vs. entire teams with stickies. So I use them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Togglesworlh said:
You'd do better using pipes first. :3
I kill a few that way, but 8 stickies is much better than clearing vs. 2 or 3 pipes that hit and only damage the people in the front that are overhealed.

Then the stickies clean them up and I can pick off the medic too. Of course pipes are first, you get in more damage.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Togglesworlh said:
You're saying nothing that disagrees with my stance. We're not even arguing with each other. You realize that, don't you?
Yes. It's late and I want company :'[

It was mainly in response to "In which case, you're doing it wrong, anyway, but it's sometimes unavoidable."

I actively seek out to damage as much of the other team as possible since the more gathered enemies are the more effective I can be.
Since damage falloff is low for demo I hang back in rages I can't die and siege the enemy team.

Although playing today made me re-realize how important it is to have a decent team to back you up for this to actually work well though. Otherwise soldier/heavy seems better as you are part of the core of a team that pushes.

Tenck

cooljeanius said:

I do that whenever I can, but I hardly play Demo because I can't aim with pipe bombs :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For kicks I uploaded a section of my demo play on Payload on Upward.

View the spam from a new first person perspective!

M6kLo.jpg

rezuth

Some people have been bugging me about trading my earbuds+eli cap+bill hat for games and stuff. Are these rare or something? Should I keep them?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
Yes. It's late and I want company :'[
Borgnine not enough man for you?

Nerooooooooooooooooh!

JJ

I dunno what toggles is smoking, stickies are thr main and pipes are the back up. If uou're that confident in them, stop using stickies and see how far that gets you.

I use nades to spam areas where enemies might come in and to force them to back out of some areas. Or, if they're all grouped together and it's likely a nade will hit them (all on point) I'll launch a few and then switch to stickies)

Sianos

Fun games last night, that last round on Upward was amazing: no one was checking their back. I was consistenetly able to either ambush them (Dealing real meatshots! Yay!) or lure people away while we were rebuilding, wait for them to lose the trail, and then sneak up behind them. Crushed was tearing up as spy as well: they never even made it into the atrium.

I see the server recovered from the switch to Junction. Ah well, I needed the sleep anyways. I feel much better this morning, ready for another day of doing the stuff I procrastinated yesterday.

I might upload the demo from upward, had a fairly good streak going there.

Stickies absolutely do not need to be nerfed, even a little bit. That is not the issue here.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I dunno what toggles is smoking, stickies are thr main and pipes are the back up. If uou're that confident in them, stop using stickies and see how far that gets you.
I stopped long ago, except in extreme cases, and I do well. Especially well, once I'm in the groove of things.
I use nades to spam areas where enemies might come in and to force them to back out of some areas. Or, if they're all grouped together and it's likely a nade will hit them (all on point) I'll launch a few and then switch to stickies)
Okay, but you don't know how to play demoman. This means literally almost nothing, coming from you.

Next!

Also, while I trust you, Nero, a whole hell of a lot more than I trust Kuro on this matter, the fact that almost none of your pipes were direct hits only supports my theory that you're not very good with them. If I'm wrong, prove me wrong! X:

In other news:

In the spirit of fair play, I'm showing the worst possible video I can of me using both stickies and pipes! (If I'd used stickies to kill the scout, I would have died WITHOUT killing him!)
There is fire everywhere and it probably burns a little bit.
Sometimes a medic just wants to fly.
At least I didn't get airblasted off the cliff.
And finally... Mini-sentry engineers are so useful.

Is there any way to get kill messages to show up in the top right for replays? It's bad enough there's no voice recording, now I can't even show who's killing whom! CONTEXT. It rocks.

EDIT: I thought I hit the edit button. I failed and quoted instead. Oh well. Fixed, sort of..

I love how everyone thinks demo is op, but I hardly see anyone go a standard GL/SL loadout. The class is OP, so why don't more people play it? I am usually the only demo on my team, and when I'm not, the other person is usually being dumb and using shitty melee weapons.

wartime1020 said:
I love how everyone thinks demo is op, but I hardly see anyone go a standard GL/SL loadout. The class is OP, so why don't more people play it? I am usually the only demo on my team, and when I'm not, the other person is usually being dumb and using shitty melee weapons.
I use vanilla loadout....but im ASS. ive been practicing on aim cause Kuro said aim helps, with this
aimbot_pic.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Togglesworlh said:
Stickies absolutely do not need to be nerfed, even a little bit. That is not the issue here.

I stopped long ago, except in extreme cases, and I do well. Especially well, once I'm in the groove of things.

Okay, but you don't know how to play demoman. This means literally almost nothing, coming from you.

Next!

Also, while I trust you, Nero, a whole hell of a lot more than I trust Kuro on this matter, the fact that almost none of your pipes were direct hits only supports my theory that you're not very good with them. If I'm wrong, prove me wrong! X:
pfft, like I see you hit your nades all the time. I never see you 'do well' as a demoman. If you're that good with them, then just rely on the loch n load and dominate the server, instead of playing lul classes all the time. You talk big, but you never back anything up.

JackFrost, you gotta learn to read better. I always said aim isn't all that matters and I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing with bad aim than someone with great aim and knows shit.

XeroSauce

Whenever I play demo, I just starting owning face. It's like my fallback class. But I hate plying him, he's annoying to me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Togglesworlh said:

Next!

Eh, I wasn't super worried about them hitting at that range. I only rely on pipes hitting at much closer ranges than that long stretch I was mainly defending. Plus I wasn't really trying since I can turn my brain off and click in the general direction of stuff.
I don't rely on GAF players walking in straight lines either.

I haven't been playing TF2 as much as I have been, just an example from yesterday.

XeroSauce said:
Whenever I play demo, I just starting owning face. It's like my fallback class. But I hate plying him, he's annoying to me.
this, I rarely play Demo, I feel the class it's slightly op, however the class it's not appealing to me

Rapstah

Against really, really bad players, nothing beats the Righeous Bison and Direct Hit as Soldier... Bison if there's a bunch of them standing still doing nothing, Hit if there's one. Was on a random pub server, held the second cap of Egypt (not sure which stage, might have been second) for 25 minutes. They didn't even have the decency to call a scramble vote.

Kuro Madoushi said:
You talk big, but you never back anything up.
KettleCallingPotBlack.jpg

I never claimed to be the best. In fact, I often expound every level of my complete and utter lack of skill. But I know demoman.

Now, what's your excuse?

ps loch'n'load sucks balls

Hazaro said:
Eh, I wasn't super worried about them hitting at that range. I only rely on pipes hitting at much closer ranges than that long stretch I was mainly defending. Plus I wasn't really trying since I can turn my brain off and click in the general direction of stuff.
I don't rely on GAF players walking in straight lines either.

I haven't been playing TF2 as much as I have been, just an example from yesterday.
Fair enough. Pipes are best at closer ranges, it's true. Can't do much but spam at long range. But if you can't turn around on a dime and nail a scout in the face with a pipe, then you aren't a real demoman. UU:

Rickenslacker said:
Scottish Resistance. Slower charge time and the way it operates doesn't make it efficient in direct combat, but it makes it good for setting up multiple trap doorways and taking guard.
idk, I mostly just use the Scottish Resistance when the other team is using stickies and I want to clear them away.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Togglesworlh said:
I never claimed to be the best. In fact, I often expound every level of my complete and utter lack of skill. But I know demoman.

Now, what's your excuse?
So basically, what you're saying is, 'use pipes if you have good aim, otherwise you're not a good demoman'. Time to toggle off outta here. I could say the same for soldier. Use direct hit if you can aim otherwise you're not a good soldier.

Otherwise, by your definition, wartime, Ner-oh, hell, we'll throw Jason in there, are bad demomen cause they can't hit their nades all the time?

Right...

And YOU wartime, I play different classes cause just playing one is boring.

Top Bottom