• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Acerac

Banned
Bakphoon said:
Meh im idling for some (4) hours and no item drop yet -.- what am i doing wrong?
(I idle in text mode, but had no problems in the past weeks)
Text mode is iffy for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Idling against bots works every time. I'd suggest using that if you're not getting your correct number of drops weekly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
And now Unbanned, but still not at home. Should have 2 of those Promo items waiting for me by my count though. Sadly, not the one I actually wanted, I want my Quake Rocket Launcher!

I wonder if text idling gets you nothing based on the item server status. Like let's say you start idling with the item server up. Then the server goes down then up again. Maybe you need to restart text idling when it goes back up?

Dechaios said:
You jelly? :p
Heh, I actually don't mind the whole aesthetic economy there but it makes sense that they would give the most attention whoring look the most value. I don't have a problem with any of the visual clashes that some of the items might have, but seeing floating logos or plasma heads and whatnot is my limit. Just looks bad.

Bakphoon

Milly79 said:
anyone know how if text idle on Mac works? looking to venture into it...

it should, at least if you add some commands in the launch options of tf2 (dont forget to erase them, if you want to play normal again)

-textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest"

Max

I am not Max
Every time I join a game it loads to checking stage and the hl2.exe crashes

what the shit does this mean, every other game I own works fine

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kuro Madoushi said:
Why play tf2 at all? Just idle and get items!

eGlfCm.jpg

Smithy C

I got The Original as a drop yesterday. Sold it for 1 refined and 2 reclaimed. Pretty stoked about that. It's like I got a bad hat.

Zomba13

awwyeahgurrl said:
Good games on the EU server for those of you who stuck around. We need to do this more.
I would have played more but my game crashed for some reason and I didn't feel like going back into it so went for some snacks instead. Will play again tomorrow though :D (if there are games on tomorrow)

Yeef

I got a Ze Goggles hat drop for the 4th time in my TF2 career. All of the others I've traded or crafted away. I think I'll just hold onto this time. Obviously TF2 wants me to have it.

Just quick matched into an achievement server. I had no clue, they just got angry when I stomped all over their team. Still accidentally racked up a couple of achievements by beating them, but it's strange that I was being placed in something like that.

yeoz

awwyeahgurrl said:
Cuban/Yeoz: I'm really just trying to see how people who have multiple idle accounts feel about the worth they've got from them. I'm on the fence about getting a few myself but like I said I've never really gotten anything other than weapons across 3 different accounts which makes me hesitant.
I'll point out that I've had most of my idlers since the christmas steam sale last year, when tf2 was on sale, and you got a key for the purchase. And I've been idling with them on-and-off since then. So, I've gotten months worth of idling out of them, and have gotten well more than 110+ hats lifetime and hundreds of refined metal too. You just aren't going to be able to do that with just a regular account, unless you do insane amounts of trading. So, yes, I feel it's been worth it for me, but, I've also had my idlers for a fairly long time now, and value accumulates over time.

That said, the next-new-game-I-want-to-play
TF3?
could get announced or even released tomorrow, and all my idling would suddenly become much less meaningful to me. Idling is only worthwhile as long as I still keep playing the game, for as long as I have friends who play the game that I can interact with. If I'm not playing, there's no reason for me to idle (since, I'm not doing it for the money or anything, and in-game objects in a game I don't play have little value.)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
yeoz said:
I'll point out that I've had most of my idlers since the christmas steam sale last year, when tf2 was on sale, and you got a key for the purchase. And I've been idling with them on-and-off since then. So, I've gotten months worth of idling out of them, and have gotten well more than 110+ hats lifetime and hundreds of refined metal too. You just aren't going to be able to do that with just a regular account, unless you do insane amounts of trading. So, yes, I feel it's been worth it for me, but, I've also had my idlers for a fairly long time now, and value accumulates over time.

That said, the next-new-game-I-want-to-play
TF3?
could get announced or even released tomorrow, and all my idling would suddenly become much less meaningful to me. Idling is only worthwhile as long as I still keep playing the game, for as long as I have friends who play the game that I can interact with. If I'm not playing, there's no reason for me to idle (since, I'm not doing it for the money or anything, and in-game objects in a game I don't play have little value.)
so...what you're saying is, it's lonely up there on top of your pile of weapons and hats and metal?

right? D:

Acerac

Banned
vehn said:
so how much does it cost to buy an idle account? There any good guides out there?
It costs 50 cents if you buy a game to gift to your main account.

If you pay 2.50 to buy a key and use the rest as gift money then everything you pay for is usable on your main.

I'd think idling for items would be silly if it weren't so damn cheap.

So...speaking of idling...

Suddenly tonight my sandboxied text idle stopped working. It starts off great, gets to the point where it's connected and stable...and then all of a sudden it scrolls through a shitload of text ('Resource count this and this = 0') and hl2 crashes. Any idea what I've done wrong? Or do I need to nuke TF2 and redownload it (again)?

Sibylus

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
http://tenko.fansubban.org/tf2/remover/

Generate a hat, unusual effect, or paint removing .txt file. Customize what you want.

Currently it will make Scouts, Soldiers, Engies, and Snipers appear hatless, but c'est la vie.
I was thinking about what it'd take to make something like this, text files sound a whole lot better than downloading hat replacement models. If I can kill shutter shades with this, I will love it forever.

Dug

Banned
Botolf said:
I was thinking about what it'd take to make something like this, text files sound a whole lot better than downloading hat replacement models. If I can kill shutter shades with this, I will love it forever.
VQCRz.gif

yeoz

Best part of the new trading interface is that you aren't limited to just eight items. You can now make massive trades. Lots of metal for an item? Sure!

vehn

Acerac said:

If you pay 2.50 to buy a key and use the rest as gift money then everything you pay for is usable on your main.

So I need to send a 50 cent game gift to my alt account to make it a paid account, and then I need to buy a key on my alt account to make it a premium account?

yeoz said:
Best part of the new trading interface is that you aren't limited to just eight items. You can now make massive trades. Lots of metal for an item? Sure!
Who would have so much metal to fill all those spots unless they had many acc-Oh.

Just joking, but really. I can't imagine the amount of metal you would have to fill all those spots. It's not like you are going to give 10 scraps instead of combining them to make reclaimed, and reclaimed to refined.

Forkball

vehn said:
So I need to send a 50 cent game gift to my alt account to make it a paid account, and then I need to buy a key on my alt account to make it a premium account?
No, if you purchase anything on a free account, you are automatically updated. The 50 cent figure comes from the fact that the cheapest item in the store is 50 cents.

yeoz

Sgt.Pepper said:
Who would have so much metal to fill all those spots unless they had many acc-Oh.

Just joking, but really. I can't imagine the amount of metal you would have to fill all those spots. It's not like you are going to give 10 scraps instead of combining them to make reclaimed, and reclaimed to refined.
50 refined metal for a copy of <game>? Sure!

Acerac said:

but you have to spend money in the Mann Co store... thats $5 minimum with the Steam Wallet system.

use the money on 2 keys that you can then trade or sell for that price, or even better, open crates with the keys.

Cuban Legend said:
use the money on 2 keys that you can then trade or sell for that price, or even better, open crates with the keys.

That's the only reason I have any alts/idlers to begin with. I bought a few keys, and figured I might as well open an alt rather than buy it on my regular account.

Although I don't intend to open any more crates. If I buy any more keys, it'll be to trade out for something directly, rather than hope to find something good in a crate.

divisionbyzorro said:
That's the only reason I have any alts/idlers to begin with. I bought a few keys, and figured I might as well open an alt rather than buy it on my regular account.

Although I don't intend to open any more crates. If I buy any more keys, it'll be to trade out for something directly, rather than hope to find something good in a crate.
a wise man. that's the way to ensure maximum value or your money. if you're going to spend, get what you want.

Unless you have what you want, then it's cool to gamble the extra stuff away. lol

JackEtc

First time I actually did well in a server with you guys :,)

Wasn't even playing one of my two mains, but I am proud of myself.

Acerac

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
but you have to spend money in the Mann Co store... thats $5 minimum with the Steam Wallet system.

Who cares if you need to spend $5 on steam if 4.50 is going to your main account?

I guess if you need keys it's cool, but with patience idling accounts make keys insignificant.

That being said, on my newest idling account I got 2 keys.

Top Bottom