• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

XeroSauce

Obsessed said:
Who are the core 4? Scout, Soldier, Demoman, Medic?

Nailed it. 2 Scouts and 2 Sollys, 1 Demoman because two Demomen equals broken maps (stickies on both chokepoints etc. and 2 Medics is both broken in some aspects and useless in some aspects.

Flunkie

Banned
desh said:
anyone know if the new "original" rocket launcher drops?
Indeed it does.

GGy6al.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
damn i got stabbed in the back a bunch of times by flunkie today. :( i have a question for tf2 vets. how do you get upgrades to your weapons? do you get them by just playing? when you cross a certain amount of exp you get new stuff? i've gotten weapons but i have no idea how i did it.

smurfx said:
damn i got stabbed in the back a bunch of times by flunkie today. :( i have a question for tf2 vets. how do you get upgrades to your weapons? do you get them by just playing? when you cross a certain amount of exp you get new stuff? i've gotten weapons but i have no idea how i did it.
You don't really get upgrades to weapons, just different ones with different properties. Maybe I'm just nitpicking there, but I just want to say that the default gear for the most part is still very good. You can get new weapons in two different ways, either by unlocking the achievement milestones for the classes (which will give you their original new weapon set), but every week you can get around 10~ or so random items from playing normally/idling, weapons being the most common. Your own performance has nothing to do with those, you'll just get them.

smurfx said:

you just play and get random drops. Play at least 30 minutes, and you should get a random item every time until you hit your limit, which resets on Wednesday night.

Forkball

smurfx said:
You get them randomly as drops via playing. You get six to twelve drops (excluding crates) per week. The drop cap resets every Wednesday at 7 EST. And they aren't upgrades, most people like to describe them as "sidegrades." The stock weapons are by large the most versatile, but the other weapons are better for certain situations. For example, Demo's Loch and Load isn't as effective in general battle, but it is quite useful for taking out sentries.

You do not level up in TF2, some weapons and hats have levels on them but they are purely aesthetic. The way to tell a good TF2 players is based on hat coolness.

smurfx

get some go again
oh ok i thought this game was similar to wolfenstein where you upgrade as you play on. hoping to play more on the neogaf server whenever there is a spot open. i've gotten 3 hats so far!

Uriah

smurfx said:
oh ok i thought this game was similar to wolfenstein where you upgrade as you play on. hoping to play more on the neogaf server whenever there is a spot open. i've gotten 3 hats so far!

Wat.

How long have you been playing?

Bakphoon

So, it is thursday now.. any tips to to idle properly? I have 3 accounts (1 main, 1 idle, 1 free to play) and i dont know how to get the most drops... I'm feeling lucky if I get 7 items per week (INCLUDING crates) but i see thet some people get 10 drops per week.

Also i would like to know, if it is possible to get a premium version of TF2 without paying 5€ for one account? And keys cost 2€ in germany, so if i bought 2 keys i would still have some leftover money :(

I just got a Cow Mangler as a drop (or whatever the rocket launcher is called). I'm guessing they're drops now, unless wrecking up a room as a Heavy is a prereq to getting one now.

Oreoleo

Bakphoon said:
Also i would like to know, if it is possible to get a premium version of TF2 without paying 5€ for one account? And keys cost 2€ in germany, so if i bought 2 keys i would still have some leftover money :(

Nope, in game transactions use Steam wallet, and the smallest amount you can add to your wallet is $5. Any cash you have left over you can use to gift yourself a game, however. Say you buy a $5 game and you have $1 left in your wallet, when you buy the game Steam will take the $1 out of your wallet and you pay the rest with credit card or whatever.

Bakphoon

yeoz said:
I haven't gotten one as a drop yet (on 15 accounts so far), but, random is random, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

Another question: Do you see drops on those Backpack sites, or do you have to restart TF2 to see them? At least i saw items that i have traded through the new steam trade feature on the backback before i started TF2 (they were in a line over the backpack).

Wow... 15 accounts... I wish i could afford so many...

all my idlers do not report The Original as a drop at all.

They still got about 2 hours left before maxing out but I think it's unlikely...

Bakphoon said:
Another question: Do you see drops on those Backpack sites, or do you have to restart TF2 to see them? At least i saw items that i have traded through the new steam trade feature on the backback before i started TF2 (they were in a line over the backpack).

Wow... 15 accounts... I wish i could afford so many...
http://www.tf2b.com lets you see drops and it auto refreshes every few minutes., I just open a couple tabs each for each alt and check it every once in a while.

The drop items show up with Red Higlights, for example here is my trading alt http://www.tf2b.com/?id=76561197991941007

TGMIII

How many accounts are you guys running, is it really worth paying for an extra 5-10 accounts. I can't see people getting much that's worth anything unless you're lucky.

Bakphoon

Cuban Legend said:
all my idlers do not report The Original as a drop at all.

They still got about 2 hours left before maxing out but I think it's unlikely...

http://www.tf2b.com lets you see drops and it auto refreshes every few minutes., I just open a couple tabs each for each alt and check it every once in a while.

The drop items show up with Red Higlights, for example here is my trading alt http://www.tf2b.com/?id=76561197991941007

Thank you, that is really helpful :D

wow.. yeoz has already a hat drop...

yeoz

awwyeahgurrl said:
How many accounts are you guys running, is it really worth paying for an extra 5-10 accounts. I can't see people getting much that's worth anything unless you're lucky.
I am still thinking out the process, but, it seems to me that 21 refined (2 weeks of idling for me?) would get you around eight keys (conservatively), which would almost certainly trade for any $10 game on steam.
That said, the time spent on trade servers hawking metal for keys would be a huge and terrible timesink, and I make significantly more 'money' just going to work instead.

Oh, this also ignores hats. Last week I got 7 hats (all of which were dupes. lol). And I'll probably get two or three this week. (Most of the time I don't get any hats though. random is random)

TGMIII

yeoz said:
I am still thinking out the process, but, it seems to me that 21 refined (2 weeks of idling for me?) would get you around eight keys (very conservatively), which would almost certainly trade for any $10 game on steam.

So we're talking like a pair of earbuds every two weeks. Personally I'm just looking for unusual hats because I'm a dirty whore so it would take months to get a hat worth anything.

How many accounts are you running.

yeoz

awwyeahgurrl said:
So we're talking like a pair of earbuds every two weeks. Personally I'm just looking for unusual hats because I'm a dirty whore so it would take months to get a hat worth anything.

How many accounts are you running.
Something like 17 idlers now, with 4 more waiting to be to be upgraded when their backpacks are full.

yeoz

Rickenslacker said:
A trading terminology question, but just what do people mean when they ask for sweets? Is it the Candy Cane?
Context? Sounds like they want you to add stuff to the trade, to 'sweeten' it up.

Bakphoon

Meh im idling for some (4) hours and no item drop yet -.- what am i doing wrong?
(I idle in text mode, but had no problems in the past weeks)

Bakphoon said:
Meh im idling for some (4) hours and no item drop yet -.- what am i doing wrong?
(I idle in text mode, but had no problems in the past weeks)
If you had no past problems I'd say it's down to bad luck. I had a bit of a wait last week before I got my first item.

Bakphoon

Rickenslacker said:
If you had no past problems I'd say it's down to bad luck. I had a bit of a wait last week before I got my first item.

Speaking of the devil, i got my first drop for this week: Zepheniah's Greed!
This is also my first paint drop ever :D

awwyeahgurrl said:
im currently up to 12 on one PC and 12 on another PC, all 24 using the sandboxie method.

-The first 12 idle on Wednesday night right after the drop cap resets, their spoils are offered up to GAF for almost nothing on Thursday Afternoon. Pic of the first 12 running now.

-The other 12 wait until 12 hours before the cap resets, to get the jump on new items/drops just in case valve releases and update with new drops, crates, etc. if no update with new items/drops is released they will have enough time to idle before the cap resets.

TGMIII

Cuban Legend said:
im currently up to 12 on one PC and 12 on another PC, all 24 using the sandboxie method.

-The first 12 idle on Wednesday night right after the drop cap resets, their spoils are offered up to GAF for almost nothing on Thursday Afternoon. Pic of the first 12 running now.

-The other 12 wait until 12 hours before the cap resets, to get the jump on new items/drops just in case valve releases and update with new drops, crates, etc. if no update with new items/drops is released they will have enough time to idle before the cap resets.

And do you feel like you get anything worthwhile out of it. I'm not questioning having idle accounts but just from drops I've gotten from an alt account I have didn't make me want to get any more accounts.

yeoz

awwyeahgurrl said:
And do you feel like you get anything worthwhile out of it. I'm not questioning having idle accounts but just from drops I've gotten from an alt account I have didn't make me want to get any more accounts.
Yeah, random is random. So individual idlers can get unlucky. But having lots of idlers tend to average out the number and types of drops you get.
Really, having tons¹ of idlers nets you the following benefits:
  • You never have to wait for new weapons. You almost always get them as drops immediately, or have spare materials lying around to craft them immediately. Of course, this only matters if you actually play the game (which, hopefully, you do). And this benefit extends to your friends as well, since if they are missing any weapon, you can just give it to them.
  • Having access to lots of spare metal means that you can trade for almost anything you want. I get at least eight refined metal a week, and that's enough to buy the majority of hats or miscs outright, without needing to haggle. I got quite a few of the stange weapon by trading metal for them outright.
  • Lots and lots of trading eventually gets you an unusual without having to open a crate to get it. Minimal gambling involved!

[1] I really do mean tons. Having a few idlers probably isn't going to do much.

awwyeahgurrl said:
Basically everything that yeoz said, plus:

My current goal is to broaden my the items/hats collection to 100% in TF2 while spreading the surplus weapons and items to GAF.

I can average 13 refined per week (not counting trading expensive drops or hats) just smelting an average of 10 times on 24 idle account straight down to metal. Thats roughly $10 bucks in metal a week. making money was never an objective, otherwise I'd be into unusual hats (but im not lol).

Now that we have Steam Trade, I can put the idlers to good use.

TGMIII

eravulgaris said:
Holy shit this game is:

So

Much

Fun.

What's up with the EU gaf server?
People don't join when I put up announcements or leave as soon as a popular map finishes. Not everyone does this but any time the server has been full it quickly drops to 10 or so people once something like dustbowl finishes.

I"m planning to hop on at around 7/8PM GMT-0 with a few friends. I also don't think people understand I run the EU GAF server lol.

Cuban/Yeoz: I'm really just trying to see how people who have multiple idle accounts feel about the worth they've got from them. I'm on the fence about getting a few myself but like I said I've never really gotten anything other than weapons across 3 different accounts which makes me hesitant.

Chavelo

Jeebus, you guys. And I thought I was having a problem having 4 idle accounts and my main running yesterday... I mean, you don't have a problem, but now you got me really interested on setting an army of idlers just chilling on item_test ready for trading war... :D

Questions for you!

1. Right now I'm using the command prompt version of the idle setup with the accounts using sandboxie and batch files. They connect to the item_test maps and so far I've gotten some items, so it works. Is that the ideal setup? I heard item_test made drops happen more slowly somewhere. Should I connect to a clean server?

2. What GCF files do you need to run TF2? Or should I use my main steamapps folder using the link method?

3. Anything else you do to make the startup faster? How about when there is an update?

Chavelo said:
Jeebus, you guys. And I thought I was having a problem having 4 idle accounts and my main running yesterday... I mean, you don't have a problem, but now you got me really interested on setting an army of idlers just chilling on item_test ready for trading war... :D

Questions for you!

1. Right now I'm using the command prompt version of the idle setup with the accounts using sandboxie and batch files. They connect to the item_test maps and so far I've gotten some items, so it works. Is that the ideal setup? I heard item_test made drops happen more slowly somewhere. Should I connect to a clean server?

2. What GCF files do you need to run TF2? Or should I use my main steamapps folder using the link method?

3. Anything else you do to make the startup faster? How about when there is an update?
1. Sandboxie is the ideal setup for now, yoez's setup (as he's stated before) is super complex and convoluted so Sandboxie w/batch files is the way to go right now.

2. Personally, I use map achievement_idle, and don't really think different idle maps effect the drop rate.
-You can use the Link method shown HERE (requires Windows Vista/7)

Or you can copy these These
ss-2011-08-11_13.07.18tuh9.png

3. I launch my alts in groups of 4, since launching all 12 at once can take too long or freeze my PC. It depends from PC to PC though.

Top Bottom