• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Forkball

PIC DUMP

tf2modding123.png

6bdbd6e8.png

6255039286_3672d8fb43_b.jpg

026A1942424A3A9404CDE0A8C63500BB9FECE6BB

C997451551A5E9A4D9840A11C6A74035D22C737A

52CCF4DDE757D8AC4BF36FB0C91809EE8112BF69

Acerac

Banned
My team is getting slaughtered and the game crashes? Yeah that seems like a good time to leave for the night.

Finally I have my own horrific Borgnine spray, it even uses the MLP font for my name. I feel like I'm finally a real member of the server. <3

Sciz

Yeef said:
No one is changing the map votes.
There was that night last week when wartime established a tyranny and did manual map changes the whole time, but he kept it varied and occasionally polled people and was also drunk so that hardly counts.

Blizzard

Banned
n0b said:
There are reasons. But they have nothing to do with the server and you're right I shouldn't have done it, and I'm sorry I did. If Kuro wants to know why he can talk to me, but it doesn't belong on the server or in the thread.
Thanks for apologizing. Drama is the worst. =(

Iadien said:
I have no clue, as I don't know who the admins are. I just know that maps are often changed to a map other than what was voted, in my experience.
It's not me. *edit* I read the thread further and found out that THE JANK was picking the maps!

Tenck

EmCeeGramr said:
you know who would make a good admin

who would really shape up the place and take out the trash

I would. Hightower 24/7. Then everyone leaves and I would be alone, and pretend I am the only person playing tf2 in the world.

Where is Jank? Was it janked so hard it got knocked off the net?

Tenck said:
I would. Hightower 24/7. Then everyone leaves and I would be alone, and pretend I am the only person playing tf2 in the world.
I love Hightower.

at first, I really really hated Hightower because it took long and I sucked back then.

Now, I love Hightower and it is the best PLR. My new found hate is any 5cp maps.

inb4joke "what are you talking about? You still suck!"

Tenck

n0b said:
What are you going on about Tenck there are tons of people on the server that love hightower.

I must meet these awesome people. All I hear is people hating on Hightower :/

I'd like more Hightower.and Badwater games. Spy is so awesome on both maps.

Acerac

Banned
Tenck said:

As far as I know I'm the only sane person on this server who dislikes this horrible stage.

Tenck said:

Vocal minority. I'm part of it. I'd rather play a bunch of new shit maps every once and a while than the same 4 good maps every night. But that's just me.

Yeef

Another patch tomorrow apparently. I hadn't been getting any crashes before, but I got one right after the patch today.

hlds_linux mailing list said:
No, we don't need client dumps. We have a whole heap of them already. The problem is by the time the client has crashed, the client has been in a bad state already for a bit of time. The problem is tracking down how they got into that state. We have another update going out tomorrow that fixes at least one more problem and will likely reduce the number of server and client crashes. We won't be leaving the game in this condition; the team has been working on it non-stop.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [mailto:hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Porter
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 8:43 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Yeah, this seems to be worse than before. Would you like client minidumps?
How can we help here?

SteveWinwood said:
Vocal minority. I'm part of it. I'd rather play a bunch of new shit maps every once and a while than the same 4 good maps every night. But that's just me.
I'd rather do both.

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:
As far as I know I'm the only sane person on this server who dislikes this horrible stage.
I am pretty vocal about disliking hightower, are you saying I'm insane? Q.Q

But seriously, I was literally thinking early tonight that we should just keep voting for 40 minute hightower rounds every night until people get sick of it. Reverse psychology or something!

Hightower should be changed to 2 rounds only with each round being no more than 10 minutes. Playing the map as it is now is more energy draining than 2Fort.

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
I am pretty vocal about disliking hightower, are you could be saying I'm insane? Q.Q

But seriously, I was literally thinking early tonight that we should just keep voting for 40 minute hightower rounds every night until people get sick of it. Reverse psychology or something!
With all the support the map receives it is tough for me to believe there are others who hate it. Glad to have you on the team.

I'd just drop from the server for the duration of the map if I was guaranteed a spot once I returned. Add a clock to the map or make the last point less ridiculous to cap and I'd not mind the map one bit. It's that last tiny bit of the map that makes an otherwise potentially enjoyable game in to complete shit.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
I am pretty vocal about disliking hightower, but you could be saying I'm insane since I'm not a brony. Q.Q

High Tower isn't nearly as stalematey as it was when it was first released. The combination of the slower ramp speed plus each team having 19 engineers (since it was the engy update) made the games crawl. I still remember that one time we played the map for literally nearly 2 hours on a single round. It was madness. These days the map tends to end before or around the 45 minute timelimit for both rounds.

Looking through the demos and the database, the vast majority of the times we've played high tower recently it's been over in 16 to 20 minutes. The edge cases are around 30 minutes with the longest being 36 minutes. Remember that's for two full rounds. Original high tower with it's 9 hour single rounds should have built up callous for you by now, Blizzard!

SteveWinwood said:
Exactly. Variety trumps quality every time.

Get rid of voting, put it on a rotation, and fuck the whiners because they're unimportant!

I for one like High Tower, but do agree it can run a bit long sometimes.

Also, yeah, fuck this crashing. I crash within 20 minutes every time since the Maniversary update. :(

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I just remember the good bad old days. I still feel like some maps could be made significantly better with very minor changes, and I'm just too lazy/ignorant to do them myself. Now I realize some people might be like "2fort: DELETE THE MAP" but seriously, here are some ideas.

2fort/doublecross: No more than 1 engineer per team.

Pacman: Delete all the invisible walls. Low-gravity optional. This might make everyone go soldier and demoman if you didn't use low-gravity, but eh, it's a silly map anyway. Getting rid of the walls might at least help.

Hightower: Implement the timer mechanism that at least one other payload race map uses...an official one, if I recall correctly? Once the timer runs out, both carts automatically move to the finish line. This might result in a tie on hightower since both carts get stuck at two different areas, but at least it would make people throw themselves at the cart and the map would end.

n0b

Togglesworlh said:
Get rid of voting, put it on a rotation, and fuck the whiners because they're unimportant!

Correct. I don't like certain maps, but if it was a rotation, so be it, every map would get fair play.

Blizzard

Banned
We had rotation like...one or two server iterations ago. There were even complicated attempts at variety, though we would have like 3 arena in a 5-map rotation spread.

I can't remember if people hated the rotation and ragequit or not.

n0b

Blizzard said:
We had rotation like...one or two server iterations ago. There were even complicated attempts at variety, though we would have like 3 arena in a 5-map rotation spread.

I can't remember if people hated the rotation and ragequit or not.

Last time I remember a rotation I still think we had rtv there as an out.

Last time I remember a WORKING rotation was way back in the early days, and the only time we strayed from it was when the rotation was borked for some reason and then an admin would change the map to fix it. That worked fine.

Yeef

I remember it well. That was back during Java server. On every map one person would be like "NOT THIS map!" and everyone else would be like "let's do it."

Jank Hard has better technology than the Java Jank. With the mapchooser plugin we're using it's possible to change the rotation dynamically based on time of day, number of players, recently played maps and map ratings.

Togglesworlh said:
Yeah 2fort2furious has the craziest map rotation ever, using all those parameters except map rating.

Don't use ratings.
at least they've got awesome maps, I was on there tonight after the GAF server emptied and we played on the this awesome Basketball map then someone turned on the server-wide music with the fucking Space Jam song, it was fun as hell for a breather in the rotation.

Cuban Legend said:
at least they've got awesome maps, I was on there tonight after the GAF server emptied and we played on the this awesome Basketball map then someone turned on the server-wide music with the fucking Space Jam song, it was fun as hell for a breather in the rotation.
FIST BUMP

Cuban Legend said:
This sounds like the greatest thing in the world.

Oh wow. The new update *removed* the "Painterly" filter from the Decal Tool.

"Painterly" was the option that allowed you to add any picture and preserve its colors (for the most part). Now the only option is "Stencil", where you only have a handful of pre-determined 2-4 color combination options.

I'm glad I made all my Decals before the update (all made in "Painterly" before the update will stay as they are). Here's hoping they bring Painterly back. Monochrome is just NOT the same.

Tenck

Acerac said:

Ace, you must abandon your evil thinking, and join us at the Hightower fan club. Only reason I enjoy it.is because I found about it a couple months ago!

I do like variety, so I welcome any map suggeations you guys may have (EXCEPT FUCKING YUKON!!!!!). I just want at least one game of Hightower every few days :eek:

Acerac

Banned
Tenck said:
Ace, you must abandon your evil thinking, and join us at the Hightower fan club. Only reason I enjoy it.is because I found about it a couple months ago!

I do like variety, so I welcome any map suggeations you guys may have (EXCEPT FUCKING YUKON!!!!!). I just want at least one game of Hightower every few days :eek:
There's nothing wrong with the stage in theory. It just needs a timer and the last push needs to be about half as big. Change those two small details and you'll never hear me complain about the stage again.

If we restricted Hightower to every few days you couldn't imagine how elated I'd be. The fact that we play it nightly (sometimes multiple times) is what bugs me. :p

Acerac said:
There's nothing wrong with the stage in theory. It just needs a timer and the last push needs to be about half as big. Change those two small details and you'll never hear me complain about the stage again.

If we restricted Hightower to every few days you couldn't imagine how elated I'd be. The fact that we play it nightly (sometimes multiple times) is what bugs me. :p
Wouldn't be a problem if mapvoting didn't exist.

Top Bottom