• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Togglesworlh said:
The system is flawed in that voting exists period and people like you have the power to change maps just because they don't like a map.

I think I would be fine with that, if there was a reasonable rotation, that balanced the popular maps with the ones that are less so, I would be fine with that. I wish I didn't have to abuse admin and change the map, even though most of the time I am changing it through the will of those on the server. If there was a rotation and I knew an unpopular, seldom played map was sandwiched between two good, and popular ones, I would be fine with letting the rotation play out.

Unfortunately, most people's idea of a good rotation is

badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
badwater
badwater
badwater
badwater
something else
badwater

Togglesworlh said:
Unfortunately, most people's idea of a good rotation is

badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
something else
badwater
badwater
badwater
badwater
badwater
something else
badwater
What kind of fucked up servers do you join? Never gotten such rotation in my 700 hours of TF2.

Woah, that's a lot of time.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
This happened before remember, we switched from voting to rotation and it lasted like 2 days before people figured out it was worse. Again I really don't dislike any of the maps other than Degroot (mostly because it can kill the server [and it's boring (and is shit)]). There is something to be said for a dictator/artist, much is the vein of Hitler, who could craft a finely honed and enjoyable map rotation. Because again the problem with pure democracy is that the same maps gets played constantly.

Yeef, is there some sort of sourcemod hacking where we could have like rotation night once or twice a week? I mean without you having to do it manually.

Borgnine said:
This happened before remember, we switched from voting to rotation and it lasted like 2 days before people figured out it was worse.
We never switched to rotation. We switched to rotation with RTV, which is itself a scourge upon a good server.

XeroSauce

Sgt.Pepper said:
What kind of fucked up servers do you join? Never gotten such rotation in my 700 hours of TF2.

Woah, that's a lot of time.
1500+ hours, lightweight. :p

badwater, gravelpit, steel, upward. Coldfront, these are all considered good maps by 90% of the TF2 community. But if you only play those, you may as well be a stock rotation server.

We're Jank! We play weird Medieval
maps.
We play Nucleus more then 24/7 Nucleus servers!
We would make love to Hightower beside a fireplace listening to Frank Sinatra if we could!

Y'all need to stop being so serious. I've never seen 'admin abuse' in terms of abuse, unless Degroot gets voted for the third time in a row.

Melee weapon idea: fishing pole. To go with the Outdoorsman (Heavy) and Bucket Hat (Sniper).

The idea of beating people with a fishing pole tickles me too.

Harvest and 5 Gorge are like...my favorite maps right now.

So any rotation with them in it is win.

Interestingly, I hated 5 Gorge for a long time...but found myself on a server playing it 100% of the time and I hung around (mostly to learn Engie better). Now I understand the map and can't get enough of it.

Yeef

Turn and face the strange.

I added some customs back to the server including:
  • Castle
  • Cave In
  • Clock Tower
  • Furnace
  • Glacier
  • Melee Barn
  • Millstone
  • Vector
  • Scorched
  • Aerospace
  • Atrophy
  • Cliff's Edge
  • Boundary

At the request of artist dude, I also set it so that custom maps won't come up in votes when there are fewer than 12 players unless nominated.

On a trial basis, I've also installed a cron plugin. For now, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will use a randomized rotation and Wednesday through Saturday will use the normal map voting.

Togglesworlh said:
See, this, this right here?

Bad rotation.

Utterly goddamn horrendous.
why?

I like the maps, so as long as they're reasonably distributed based on the average amount of time rounds last (so that 2 long-time maps like 5Gorge and Hightower aren't back to back), it should be fine.

Yeef said:

• Castle
  • Cave In
  • Clock Tower
  • Furnace
  • Glacier
  • Melee Barn
  • Millstone
  • Vector
  • Scorched
  • Aerospace
  • Atrophy
  • Cliff's Edge
  • Boundary
Awesome!

At the request of artist dude, I also set it so that custom maps won't come up in votes when there are fewer than 12 players unless nominated.
Not awesome. ArtistDude is wrong. Seriously, what the hell.
Dreams-Visions said:
why?

I like the maps, so as long as they're reasonably distributed based on the average amount of time rounds last (so that 2 long-time maps like 5Gorge and Hightower aren't back to back), it should be fine.
Because it's way too short. Because harvest is on there twice. Because nucleus is on there twice. Because he's missing a huge number of maps that are interesting or superior to what's already on the list.

Yeef

Togglesworlh said:
Not awesome. ArtistDude is wrong. Seriously, what the hell.
Nope, he's right in this case. he was complaining about how when the server is just getting started for the night (sometimes early) a custom map will come up and then everyone will leave. I've seen it happen a bunch of times too.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeef said:

:eek:

On a trial basis, I've also installed a cron plugin. For now, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will use a randomized rotation and Wednesday through Saturday will use the normal map voting.

BOOM, problem solved. Everyone shut your stupid faces now. Seriously, no one may post in this thread after this post.

Yeef said:
Nope, he's right in this case. he was complaining about how when the server is just getting started for the night (sometimes early) a custom map will come up and then everyone will leave. I've seen it happen a bunch of times too.
Good, it keeps the kooks out.

Also I just went back and read a few of my posts. Coming off way harsher than I intend. I'm just a bit grumpy this morning. Sorry. ):

Togglesworlh said:
Because it's way too short. Because harvest is on there twice. Because nucleus is on there twice. Because he's missing a huge number of maps that are interesting or superior to what's already on the list.
if you can come up with a better list, do so.

I think the list is fine because that's a ~2 hour list. Most GAFers aren't playing more than 2 hours anyway...and a longer rotation would mean people never get to the maps they *actually* enjoy playing. Harvest is on there twice because it's short (time) and damn fun.

It's not about having a rotation of 20 maps if everyone really wants to play the 15th map and the 17th map but have to wait 3 hours to get to said maps. They'll just leave.

Clydefrog

Yeef said:

• Castle
  • Cave In
  • Clock Tower
  • Furnace
  • Glacier
  • Melee Barn
  • Millstone
  • Vector
  • Scorched
  • Aerospace
  • Atrophy
  • Cliff's Edge
  • Boundary

Okay, what do I need to do to get lazytown added? You want a petition with signatures or something?

Dreams-Visions said:
I have before, and would again if I thought anyone would listen.
It's not about having a rotation of 20 maps if everyone really wants to play the 15th map and the 17th map but have to wait 3 hours to get to said maps. They'll just leave.
Good. I don't want to play with them, anyway. If it were up to them, the server would be 24/7 Badwater.

Yeef

Dreams-Visions said:

I think the list is fine because that's a ~2 hour list. Most GAFers aren't playing more than 2 hours anyway...and a longer rotation would mean people never get to the maps they *actually* enjoy playing. Harvest is on there twice because it's short (time) and damn fun.

But there are many good maps that aren't on that list. Gravelpit, for example.

Also, having a set rotation is silly when we have the tools for a random rotation.

Purely random rotation is almost as bad as mapvoting. X:

Then you have potential for the same map getting played within the same hour, or one map not getting played for many hours, or the wrong maps coming up for the wrong number of people, or etc.

I hope you're at least including some sort of deterministic mechanism enhancified diddly.

Yeef said:
But there are many good maps that aren't on that list. Gravelpit, for example.

Also, having a set rotation is silly when we have the tools for a random rotation.
I was simply commenting on the maps on the list itself, not the validity of its exact implementation vs other systems or the lack of a couple of other maps that we know everyone enjoys. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it's not "omg horrible" either. It's not like Degroot is on there.

But that's just me as far as the addition of lots of maps goes. I suppose I don't like the sensation of being lost on new maps. The disorientation kills my enjoyment. But who am I? Nobody. Do what you all feel is best. I'll tag along as usual.

Zomba13

Just got another Unusual (I now have 2 though I've owned many one at a time before).

Got a Green energy Sober Stuntman for my Max Head. Guy wanted 3 buds for it but I went for it even though a max is 3.5-4. I only used the Max head on my heavy with the metal jaw but I've changed over to Team Captain and the Deus Ex stuff. Also might turn my Pink Energy brigade helm into 2 unusuals (or the brigade helm + my 1 buds)

Clydefrog

Yeef said:
Make it not be a bad map. Use your magic!

COME ON, you have some of the most random custom maps on the server that can hardly be considered decent maps. Adding lazytown isn't going to tarnish your already awesome map list.

Yeef

Togglesworlh said:
Purely random rotation is almost as bad as mapvoting. X:

Then you have potential for the same map getting played within the same hour, or one map not getting played for many hours, or the wrong maps coming up for the wrong number of people, or etc.

I hope you're at least including some sort of deterministic mechanism enhancified diddly.
There's no chance of one map getting played multiple times, because it excludes the last 10 maps when picking a nextmap. it also excludes the current game mode and the last game mode (i.e. if we're playing payload now and the last map was king of the hill, the next map won't be either). Custom maps are grouped separately from stock maps, so a custom king of the hill map is considered a different mode from a stock king of the hill map.

As for not playing a map for hours, there's no way to avoid that. Not even counting the crap load of custom maps on the server, TF2 has something like 55 maps stock. Being generous and assuming 15 minutes per map, that's almost 14 hours to get through everything. And that's NOT including custom maps.

[EDIT]
Clydefrog said:
COME ON, you have some of the most random custom maps on the server that can hardly be considered decent maps. Adding lazytown isn't going to tarnish your already awesome map list.
I had a bunch of maps on 3.0 because why not? When moving to 4.0 I'm trying to be at least a little more discriminating. Partly because the current host has a limit on space you're allowed to use (though they probably don't enforce it, seeing as, if they did, TF2 vanilla is already like 3 times the space).

Zomba13 said:
Just got another Unusual (I now have 2 though I've owned many one at a time before).

Got a Green energy Sober Stuntman for my Max Head. Guy wanted 3 buds for it but I went for it even though a max is 3.5-4. I only used the Max head on my heavy with the metal jaw but I've changed over to Team Captain and the Deus Ex stuff. Also might turn my Pink Energy brigade helm into 2 unusuals (or the brigade helm + my 1 buds)
dude only wanted 3 for that hat? that's crazy. I think you did fine in that trade, despite paying him more than he wanted.

Yeef said:
There's no chance of one map getting played multiple times, because it excludes the last 10 maps when picking a nextmap. it also excludes the current game mode and the last game mode (i.e. if we're playing payload now and the last map was king of the hill, the next map won't be either). Custom maps are grouped separately from stock maps, so a custom king of the hill map is considered a different mode from a stock king of the hill map.

As for not playing a map for hours, there's no way to avoid that. Not even counting the crap load of custom maps on the server, TF2 has something like 55 maps stock. Being generous and assuming 15 minutes per map, that's almost 14 hours to get through everything. And that's NOT including custom maps.
wow, 55 maps? I wonder if I've played them all. I feel like I haven't played half that many stock maps.

Yeef

Dreams-Visions said:
wow, 55 maps? I wonder if I've played them all. I feel like I haven't played half that many stock maps.
A lot of them are just the same maps, but in different modes. Like sawmill, for example, comes in KOTH, Arena and CTF varieties. If you were to boil it down to unique maps it'd probably be closer to 25 or 30.

lol I never thought I'd see a TF2 map hipster.

"Fuck those mainstream maps and the sheeple that play on them. I bet none of you have even heard of some of the maps I play on."

Yeef said:
A lot of them are just the same maps, but in different modes. Like sawmill, for example, comes in KOTH, Arena and CTF varieties. If you were to boil it down to unique maps it'd probably be closer to 25 or 30.
Some of those maps should be made for KOTH. Watchtower would be better as KOTH than Arena exclusive for example.

Yeef said:

[EDIT]I had a bunch of maps on 3.0 because why not? When moving to 4.0 I'm trying to be at least a little more discriminating. Partly because the current host has a limit on space you're allowed to use (though they probably don't enforce it, seeing as, if they did, TF2 vanilla is already like 3 times the space).
55 maps what jesus christ that's insane (what if you cut out arena maps?)

Fair point on the long wait between maps, though. My concern was just more along the lines of making sure certain maps get some play while avoiding a situation where they are played multiple times. I'll gladly put up with Badwater once a night if it means people stick around longer, but sometimes we play it twice a night and that is just the worst thing.

Clydefrog said:
I agree. I'm not the biggest fan of Lazytown, but I'd love to play it again for nostalgic reasons. It was the first custom map I ever played, and I think the first custom map period. Do it, Yeef.

Obsessed said:
lol I never thought I'd see a TF2 map hipster.

"Fuck those mainstream maps and the sheeple that play on them. I bet none of you have even heard of some of the maps I play on."
I hope you're not referring to me, because if you are, it only shows how little you know. ;D

It would be nice if one could set up a rotation where it pulled maps from two different pools, the first of which would be the popular (good) official/official community maps

ie.
cp_coldfront
cp_gorge
cp_gravelpit
cp_steel
pl_badwater
pl_goldrush
pl_upward
koth_harvest_final
koth_laskeside_final
koth_viaduct
etc.

and a second pool of the less popular official maps and/or custom maps

it would shuffle between modes(never repeating cp/pl/koth) and do a 3:1 ratio of regular maps with ones from the second pool slipped in every 4th map.

Yeef

Acerac said:
Interesting changes. Will the randomized rotation include all custom maps on the server?
Yup.

[EDIT]
wartime1020 said:
It would be nice if one could set up a rotation where it pulled maps from two different pools, the first of which would be the popular (good) official/official community maps

ie.
cp_coldfront
cp_gorge
cp_gravelpit
cp_steel
pl_badwater
pl_goldrush
pl_upward
koth_harvest_final
koth_laskeside_final
koth_viaduct
etc.

and a second pool of the less popular official maps and/or custom maps

it would shuffle between modes(never repeating cp/pl/koth) and do a 3:1 ratio of regular maps with ones from the second pool slipped in every 4th map.
That's doable, but a lot of work. We'll see how the current rotation goes for a week or so first, then, if I'm not lazy, try that.

Top Bottom