• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Lakeside sucks because it's a king of the hill map with an actual hill on it, which sucks for soldiers. Nucleus is superior because it's a bowl.

GOOD STOCK MAPS:

Badlands
Coldfront
Viaduct
Gullywash
Granary
Gravelpit
Badwater (for a PL map)
Turbine (for a CTF map)
Freight

SO-SO STOCK MAPS:

Upward
Nucleus
Harvest
Mountain Lab
Steel
Yukon
Fastlane
Well (5CP)
Lakeside
Double Cross
Thunder Mountain

BAD STOCK MAPS:
Pipeline
Nightfall
Hightower
Harvest Event
Mann Manor
5Gorge
Badlands (KOTH)
Well (CTF)
Sawmill (all)
Dustbowl
Egypt
Hoodoo
Goldrush
Barnblitz
Any CTF, PLR, or Arena maps I missed

SHIT-TIER:
2fort
Hydro
DeGroot

VALVE IS PLAYING A FUCKING JOKE ON US:
Junction

Acerac

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
SHIT-TIER:
Hydro
I just played Hydro for the first time a couple days ago for my world traveler achieve. It was amazing to me that such a shitty map could have been considered one of the go to maps back in the day.

I hope to never see it again.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Coldfront is a good 5cp, but 5gorge isn't? They're practically the same map except that Gorge has a bit more verticality around the center point.

Also I have never ever played a game on Junction, I've never even seen it on a server.

Acerac said:
I just played Hydro for the first time a couple days ago for my world traveler achieve. It was amazing to me that such a shitty map could have been considered one of the go to maps back in the day.

I hope to never see it again.

You have to remember that when TF2 came out the only maps were 2fort, Dustbowl, Gravelpit, Granary, Well, and Hydro. Those were terrifying days.

The_Technomancer said:
Coldfront is a good 5cp, but 5gorge isn't? They're practically the same map.

No they most certainly are not.

n0b

Yeef said:
At the request of artist dude, I also set it so that custom maps won't come up in votes when there are fewer than 12 players unless nominated.

The problem with this is the only reason we ever had issues with custom maps killing the server was because we didn't have working map voting. We want to encourage people to try and enjoy custom maps, and limiting their playtime is the worst way to do that. I remember almost everybody hating their first few rounds of steel back when it was a custom because the layout was confusing. Now its one of the most played maps on the server.

People can't judge a map fairly if they've only played it once.

I think you should remove any map placement restrictions in the rotation except for no repeating gamemodes. (Maybe if its possible, restrict maps of a type for the exact time it took them to complete. So if a map of one type is a steamroll it can be cycled back in quicker, but if you spend an entire hour stuck on a map, then you would have to play a few more maps in between before you get another potential exhausting slow map.)

Maybe prioritize koth versions of maps over arena versions of the same maps in very high playercounts.

Sianos

After the most recent update TF2 is stuck validating files at 100%.

For some reason my idler updated just fine: guess I'll try restarting Steam.

Yeef

Yeef said:
That's doable, but a lot of work. We'll see how the current rotation goes for a week or so first, then, if I'm not lazy, try that.
I went ahead and did this anyway. The rotation now looks like this:
  • King of the Hill
  • Attack / Defend
  • "Tier 2" PL, PLR, CTF (Customs and less popular stock maps of those modes).
  • 5 CP
  • Payload
  • "Tier 2" A/D, 5CP, KOTH, TC (Customs, less popular, etc.)
  • Capture the Flag
  • Payload Race
  • Arena*

Arena will only come up if there are between 2 and 18 people on the server. At 19 and above it's skipped. Either way, the rotation cycles back around to King of the Hill at the end.

n0b said:
The problem with this is the only reason we ever had issues with custom maps killing the server was because we didn't have working map voting. We want to encourage people to try and enjoy custom maps, and limiting their playtime is the worst way to do that. I remember almost everybody hating their first few rounds of steel back when it was a custom because the layout was confusing. Now its one of the most played maps on the server.

People can't judge a map fairly if they've only played it once.
No, the issue is people would vote for a custom map and then leave afterward. I don't know why people vote for maps they don't want to play, but I see no reason to let people's own moronedness kill the server when it's just getting started. There's nothing stopping people from nominating a custom map when there are fewer people on the server, they just won't come up without being nominated until there's at least 12 people.

I've been wondering if there was a plugin out there, somewhere, that allows people to download the next map if it's a custom during the current round. That way, by the time the map change comes around they'll already be set to go with it.

I think you should remove any map placement restrictions in the rotation except for no repeating gamemodes. (Maybe if its possible, restrict maps of a type for the exact time it took them to complete. So if a map of one type is a steamroll it can be cycled back in quicker, but if you spend an entire hour stuck on a map, then you would have to play a few more maps in between before you get another potential exhausting slow map.)

Maybe prioritize koth versions of maps over arena versions of the same maps in very high playercounts.
The rotation uses a completely different config file from the map voting. The limits other than arena player limits) apply only when voting is active. When the server is on rotation there are no limits and no weighting based on map ratings.

Acerac

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
You have to remember that when TF2 came out the only maps were 2fort, Dustbowl, Gravelpit, Granary, Well, and Hydro. Those were terrifying days.
Not only do I not have to remember that, but I will do my best to forget I ever read it.
Yeef said:
No, the issue is people would vote for a custom map and then leave afterward. I don't know why people vote for maps they don't want to play, but I see no reason to let people's own moronedness kill the server when it's just getting started
JackFrost said:
i just press 1 to get it the fuck off my screen
-_-

n0b

Yeef said:
No, the issue is people would vote for a custom map and then leave afterward. I don't know why people vote for maps they don't want to play, but I see no reason to let people's own moronedness kill the server when it's just getting started.

No that's a problem with giving people the privilege of voting. They don't deserve it. But if they leave on a custom its their loss anyway. I will keep playing regardless of what some idiot does because they have bad taste in maps.

Yeef

n0b said:
No that's a problem with giving people the privilege of voting. They don't deserve it. But if they leave on a custom its their loss anyway. I will keep playing regardless of what some idiot does because they have bad taste in maps.
Yes, but a server with one person on it on a custom map isn't going to encourage more people to join. The goal is to get the server full AND THEN switch to a custom map. That way you get to play a new map and with other people!

Yeef said:
I went ahead and did this anyway. The rotation now looks like this:
  • King of the Hill
  • Attack / Defend
  • "Tier 2" PL, PLR, CTF (Customs and less popular stock maps of those modes).
  • 5 CP
  • Payload
  • "Tier 2" A/D, 5CP, KOTH, TC (Customs, less popular, etc.)
  • Capture the Flag
  • Payload Race
  • Arena*

Arena will only come up if there are between 2 and 18 people on the server. At 19 and above it's skipped. Either way, the rotation cycles back around to King of the Hill at the end.

Love it.

n0b

Yeef said:
Yes, but a server with one person on it on a custom map isn't going to encourage more people to join. The goal is to get the server full AND THEN switch to a custom map. That way you get to play a new map and with other people!

That's fine, people always ruin my exploration funtimes by shooting me. I'm fine to run around the map a little and learn all the secrets on while I wait for the cool people (who aren't map discriminators) to join.

If the server is full nobody would ever vote for the custom map because they are jerks.

How about have map votes being about voting for the map you would like to play least, and then it randomly choosing the map randomly among the half of the list that got the least votes.

Clydefrog said:
Okay, what do I need to do to get lazytown added? You want a petition with signatures or something?
some dumb gif of lazytown that I was too lazy to rehost[IMG]
+1 vote.

I mean why not. It definitely won't be the worst map on the server. Valve makes sure that happens with some of the official maps.

Togglesworlh said:
I linked the ones I could find so people don't have to download from the server. AKA you won't have to wait.

Assuming Yeef is using the same versions I found. I have never heard of half of these maps so... I don't know.

Might be best to not download these. I don't know.

Id prefer just downloading from the link in OP

Rapstah

I remember playing Lazytown before the game came out. Back when there were no .FGD files so you had to guess what entities did.

Tenck

Acerac said:
Watch yourself or I'll pocket heal you.

No, just no!

Spies don't need medics!

Edit:
1542600956.png

I'm also back :D

Finally got internet again.

Yeef

Togglesworlh said:
I linked the ones I could find so people don't have to download from the server. AKA you won't have to wait.

Assuming Yeef is using the same versions I found. I have never heard of half of these maps so... I don't know.

Might be best to not download these. I don't know.
That was silly.

http://tf2.gafserver.com/tf/maps

It's right in the OP!

Javaman

Drkirby said:
Degroot is also good in moderation, just whacky melee fun. Always a blast to play a few rounds after some more over powered melee weapons have been added from anther update.

No it's not. I would rather get probed by the probulator-10k every night rather than play that hellspawn piece of douchbaggery again. I would rather do a facestand on broken glass or watch a rosy o donnel movie.

Chesskid1

Banned
i hated degroot too, but now it is simply acceptable to me and i won't leave the server when it comes.

if you hate melee (like i do) just switch to sniper and use the bow n arrow. that makes it pretty fun for me.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Fixed a frequent server crash related to packfiles
- Fixed the following items not being able to be used in the Rebuild Headgear recipe: Lo-Fi Longwave, Loyalty Reward, Spiral Sallet, Summer Shades, Scout Flip-Flops, Lucky No. 42, Summer Hat, Killer Exclusive, Ball-Kicking Boots, Merc's Pride Scarf, Manniversary Paper Hat

I should have bought a bunch of paper hats for 1 scrap each. :/

Javaman

Yeef said:
Turn and face the strange.

I added some customs back to the server including:
  • Castle

Yeef=TF2 god confirmed.

Edit: which version? beta 4 I think made the final point WAY too easy to cap. beta 3 was the best IIRC.

Forkball

Valve done goofed. I wonder if they will decide to do a series of smaller updates from now one instead of mega updates. While big ones are fun, it takes days or weeks before we can actually enjoy it because of the crashes. It's even worse now that it went F2P so a ton of people download the updates at the same time.

my chat box got stuck open and i couldn't aim anywhere but the direction in which i spawned

it was kinda fun until we lost upward because i couldn't kill people

Top Bottom