• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Bah!

One of my replays from last night was corrupted, so I downloaded the demo and recorded it in FRAPS. 46 seconds of video, 95 minutes of upload time ;(

About 20 minutes remaining...
Did you forget to compress the video? Yeesh.

Tenck

Yeef said:
Bah!

One of my replays from last night was corrupted, so I downloaded the demo and recorded it in FRAPS. 46 seconds of video, 95 minutes of upload time ;(

About 20 minutes remaining...

Dude that's awful :/

What's the size of the video?

fallengorn said:
KCcnF.jpg
Sup

Yeef

* There will be a special Halloween quickmatch option on the client. We will provide further details for how to receive the traffic later.
* We highly encourage people to register their servers. There is zero downside to doing so, whatsoever, and it takes 5 seconds. The Halloween gift drops are the first of hopefully many more benefits to come from registering your server.

* We will be watching for servers who are exploiting the gift and drop system, and reserve the right to take action against the account, game server, IP, and steam account that owns the game server. We are not going to provide an exact definition of exactly what is OK and what is not. However, here are two examples of abusive activity: 1.) Giving certain plays on your server special powers or preferential treatment with regard to gifts. 2.) Using automated methods to collect gifts into lots of free accounts, causing them to be devalued in the TF economy.

Thank you for helping to provide our customers a place to play our game.

Your humble servant,
Fletch
Brrrt.

i tried playing on a mann manor server

and it's just so shit

they're all shit servers with tons of shit variables and it's such a shit map and there's shit ping and shit superpowers and the shit horsemann and that stupid shit gift system

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Apparently TF2WH now has raffles for high demand items (aka refined metal). That site was nice while it lasted.

EmCeeGramr said:
i tried playing on a mann manor server

and it's just so shit

they're all shit servers with tons of shit variables and it's such a shit map and there's shit ping and shit superpowers and the shit horsemann and that stupid shit gift system

basically

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find it odd that people are now declaring the site ruined for the 5 minute raffle timer for the low stock items, since the entire point is to make it easy to get your hands on stuff. I would say well over 75% of all the hats in the game are in stock at all times.

Oh no, I can't just hit F5 and rapidly click to get a Paper Hat, I have to wait 5 minutes and see if I win a raffle, site ruined forever!

Drkirby said:
I find it odd that people are now declaring the site ruined for the 5 minute raffle timer for the low stock items, since the entire point is to make it easy to get your hands on stuff. I would say well over 75% of all the hats in the game are in stock at all times.
But you know how it is. Nobody want the 75% stuff. They want the last 15%...and now it's pretty much impossible to guarantee you'll get it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still think the site does its job of simplying trading. A 5 minute long entry into a raffle gives everyone a better chance of getting a high demand item. It is flat out simpler, since you don't have mash F5 for 3 hours waiting for a Strange Scatter Gun to be sold.

Wish Steam Trading was more reliable though, so often pages fail to load.

fallengorn said:
Eh, does that mean we're getting more stupid gift drops like paper bags of shit?
Yep! Though with Valve making you register the servers, hopefully they aren't as dumb.

The raffle isn't for high value items. It's for new items. The raffle lasts for the first five minutes that the item appears in the store. It keeps people from running bots to troll for high value items and snatch them up the moment they appear. Essentially, it evens the playing field; it's not a perfect system, but it's better than before.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Togglesworlh said:
AND we can't cheat to farm the dumb things ):
Well, last year I hunted them manually with other people in some organized manner. And Zenorex was kind enough to trade me some of them. Dude was farming them like gold.

Ideally, I can play the map 3-4 four times over the course of the entire event and get everything. Trying to make this event have long lasting appeal is just aggravating. No one wants to wait a whole year to start getting stuff they missed.

Also doesn't help that it's a mediocre map.

Clydefrog

fallengorn said:
Eh, does that mean we're getting more stupid gift drops like paper bags of shit?

They're going to enable Trick Or Treat mode. Once every map, a player will be randomly selected by The Halloween King (Saxton Hale in a ghost outfit) to receive a magical scroll, on which is inscribed: "Do you wish to go Trick or Treating this Halloween? The choice is yours. Say YES and I might give you a treat: a unique Halloween event item, OR I might beat you up and randomly distribute 10 of your backpack's items to others on this server."

I just hope it's something more creative than random boxes appearing or a spooky halloween crate.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
divisionbyzorro said:
The raffle isn't for high value items. It's for new items. The raffle lasts for the first five minutes that the item appears in the store. It keeps people from running bots to troll for high value items and snatch them up the moment they appear. Essentially, it evens the playing field; it's not a perfect system, but it's better than before.
To clarify, it is for any item that is not currently in stock when it is added. If no one enters the raffle for it during the 5 minutes, it just becomes a normal item you can buy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Togglesworlh said:
AND we can't cheat to farm the dumb things ):
No one has said you can't cheat, valve is just going to make it harder to cheat. I am hoping to commandeer Yeoz's Idle Server a few days after the update hits.

lol tfwh lottery for stuff readily available anywhere else for same price.

Ill still use them but just to unload complete crap (like the buncha strange bonesaws i started with) otherwise im not gnna invest there for a lottery...i can invest in my backpack...get same ref and just buy it elsewhere for same price..and the best part is ill actually get the item....imagine winning their little lottery and the trade timing out

JackFrost said:
lol tfwh lottery for stuff readily available anywhere else for same price.

Ill still use them but just to unload complete crap (like the buncha strange bonesaws i started with) otherwise im not gnna invest there for a lottery...i can invest in my backpack...get same ref and just buy it elsewhere for same price

I have a bunch of credits there, but only because when I price checked my Schadenfreude, they were buying it for above spreadsheet price. So now I can buy all sorts of stranges and hats and such at my leisure.

And then five minutes later Sgt.Pepper PMed me, finally accepting my offer to trade it for a Team Captain. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EDIT: Dang. Somebody just dropped a Big Kill and a Vintage Lugermorph into the warehouse.

Drkirby said:
Still the easiest way to get Strange Weapons and most hats. I may grab a Cockswain hat.

ill give you that it is easy to dump stuff you dont want.and ill use them exclusively for that...but they certainly arent taking over tfop in my bookmark list....shit ill try here before there.

for those that havent tried yet....its a gamestop for hats ...unless its a popular/semipopular item you want then you have to win a lottery to be able to pay for said item (and not lose item due to steam trades fuking up.....so yeah its like 2 lotteries lol)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The site gives 80% of the price it sell items for to you when you trade in the stuff. You can view all the items they have in stock here:
http://www.tf2wh.com/allitems.php
I personally think the number of hats and Strange Weapons they have is pretty good. They don't have some of the higher demand primaries, but that is sort of due to no one having them just sitting around.

I still don't think it is a big deal that they set up a raffle for any item that is not currently in stock. Oh no, they are given every one an equal chance, doom! Also, you don't loose your reservation unless you go an hour without trying to make a trade request, or cancel it.

It's best for dumping stuff that technically has value, but only to the dedicated (like vintages and low-level Stranges).

I do see this fucking up the economy though. If Strange Scatterguns never stick around in stock, does that mean that they're priced too low? If they end up with 100 Strange Pain Trains, does that mean that they're no more valuable than a regular Pain Train and might as well be scrapped?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For Scattergun, they are priced to low IMO. They only charge 6k for them, when it should be twice that at least. For the Strange Bone Saws, they really are nearly worthless.

The site needs to turn on Dynamic Pricing for some things though, Machnias and Originals are vastly overstocked, but the price seems to be locked:
http://www.tf2wh.com/inventory.php

divisionbyzorro said:
It's best for dumping stuff that technically has value, but only to the dedicated (like vintages and low-level Stranges).

I do see this fucking up the economy though. If Strange Scatterguns never stick around in stock, does that mean that they're priced too low? If they end up with 100 Strange Pain Trains, does that mean that they're no more valuable than a regular Pain Train and might as well be scrapped?
Isn't that "fixing" the economy, not "fucking it up"? I mean it should be priced to demand right? Before it was whatever they saw on some trade servers and some basic math. Now there is a big market place with fluctuating prices reflecting what people are buying.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They need to let the dynamic pricing do its thing, but some items are truly not worth more then the cost of scrap metal. If the price was too low, people would stop selling them. Clearly Strange Bonesaws have room to go down, and Originals are overpriced.

I do find it odd that the stock of some things dropped so much. They ether just crafted them together, or some bots are flat out offline.

SteveWinwood said:
Isn't that "fixing" the economy, not "fucking it up"? I mean it should be priced to demand right? Before it was whatever they saw on some trade servers and some basic math. Now there is a big market place with fluctuating prices reflecting what people are buying.

But it's hampered by glitchy trade systems and a general lack of trust in the system. People are all trying to sell the shit and buy the good stuff, so they can't really price based on what they have in stock. Because the system requires you to lose 20% of the value on your item, it can never accurately reflect what people would pay.

The site should be an auction site with spreadsheet-based minimum costs. The seller gets X% of the final sale price of their item (I'd peg it at 90% as fair, honestly). Regular weapons and metal would not be auctioned, obviously.

Drkirby said:
I still don't think it is a big deal that they set up a raffle for any item that is not currently in stock. Oh no, they are given every one an equal chance, doom! Also, you don't loose your reservation unless you go an hour without trying to make a trade request, or cancel it.
everyone has a chance when it shows up to click the button.

Hey if you like it thats awesome...im saying for me personally im not gnna put a decent amount of ref valued stuff towards something i may or may not get and have "credits" to show for it. and the hour is also dependant on their bots&steam coinciding....going over the hour is more then common . Im not going to trade in a good tiered item to not be able to get another good tiered item without a lottery

like I said if you like it thats great...ill continue to dump there as well but for anything i have a chance to get straight trades for and have something to show for it ill go that route

Drkirby said:
The hour timer resets every time you click trade, and only starts ticking when you aren't in queue.

I lost multiple trades just last night due to that stupid timer...couldve been due to them being craft packs, but i believe there was people crying on forum about it with regular items.

The site a great idea but its being executed awfully. Its in beta so they can iron things out, and hope they do. but for now im gnna cash out. I enjoyed crafting yesterday and made a few rec off it but im having major problems today (cant get 1 craft in...im sure you see me bitching over there XD ) and ive been trying to cashout for last hour and due to whatever issues they having i cant....which certainly dont help their cause

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I think this want system may be bugged too. I think it may actually be putting me into the drawing to the items every single time, which while it would be nice for some people, with the 2 item reserve limit currently, it can be annoying.

Drkirby said:
Yeah, I think this want system may be bugged too. I think it may actually be putting me into the drawing to the items every single time, which while it would be nice for some people, with the 2 item reserve limit currently, it can be annoying.

I clicked 'Want It' on a Refined Metal a while back. Every 10 minutes or so the chat tells me I lost out on a Refined Metal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Try spaming the cancel button, I think that will get rid of any wants that may still be in they system, but I am not really sure.

holy fuk...i really just lost a scrap lottery

just gimme a brain slug so i can do something absolutely crazy.....actually play tf2 for a change and stop chasing hats XD

EDIT:1:403 chance for a refined....I have better odds at uncrating a unusual

I actually won a refined. Then I had to wait 20 minutes for the bot to trade with me. Then the trade timed out. Kinda regretting using this site!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
it's a bad time to launch this site, steam has been having all kinds of issues lately, and the Halloween event will be going live soon... that will cause more issues I'm sure.

JackFrost said:
Hey if you like it thats awesome...im saying for me personally im not gnna put a decent amount of ref valued stuff towards something i may or may not get and have "credits" to show for it. and the hour is also dependant on their bots&steam coinciding....going over the hour is more then common . Im not going to trade in a good tiered item to not be able to get another good tiered item without a lottery
This is why I refuse to touch this system. Summed up the conceptual problem nicely.

I traded an old hat + ref and got a One Man Army. No lines. A little patience over maybe a half hour and I got exactly what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. I'm in total control.

I suppose it's cool for hard-to-sell items. Like weps and stranges an bad hats.

Top Bottom