• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Konig94 said:
Hmm, never heard of it, thanks.
if you would check the OP of the Team Fortress 2 Trading |OT| you would find tons of helpful links for TF2 related info

ah shit new page .... uhhh
memes-scumbag-team-forgukk.jpg

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Getting the paper masks can be annoying when you are all 10 players. Took me 4 minutes to find just where the hell the last one was, with no clip on. (Was in the upper catwalk, going from B to C)
I don't remember how to do it, but there's a way to enable wireframe overlays on a listen server without it counting as a cheat. Since it makes you see everything that's rendered, even though walls, that'd probably make it a lot easier.

Uriah

I hope they get more set hats on TF2 Warehouse. They had some yesterday, but when I traded in my stuff today they were all out.

Yeef

I updated the server and added a new trivia plugin. It's all questions based around the monopod. If you get the answer right you get crits for five seconds. If you get it wrong you get kicked from the server.

Yeef said:
I updated the server and added a new trivia plugin. It's all questions based around the monopod. If you get the answer right you get crits for five seconds. If you get it wrong you get kicked from the server.

I hope you're trying to be funny.

Yeef said:
Awesome.

Forkball

Wendel Clark said:
forkball

turned off the HUD for the kill cam thing. Might turn it on...
If only your computer was powerful enough to show my true badassedness.

REPLAYS

Artemis is a terrible teammate
CHEW CHEW HUNGRY

Playing around with slow mo. It's cool, but if you turn it down all the way it's like watching paint try, but even just a millimeter above normal and it's much faster.

Also, I got a Brain Bucket drop on my main account. The second hat drop in a month on my main account, and earlier this week I had the German Gonzilla drop on my idle account. I combined them together for a.... Stout Shako. Joy.

I don't know what was going on. I was trying to craft a damn maul and then people were spawn camping and trying to learn the map or something. I quit, and I expect people to come in here and complain about it.

Acerac

Banned
I love how we now get arena multiple times in a row.

This is much better than voting for maps. I don't know why, but I'm sure it is.

TF2WH really is the best thing ever. I could finally get rid of all those duplicate vintage crap items and camera beards, made me interested in playing the game again! It's also nice to log in after a long while and see that some of the games you've purchased netted you neat items *genuine anger omnomnom*

TF2, you're a strange beast.

Acerac said:
I love how we now get arena multiple times in a row.

This is much better than voting for maps. I don't know why, but I'm sure it is.
That shouldn't happen.

Also, yes, it is. Voting is fucking shit and anyone who likes it is shit and should be shot in real life.

Acerac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
That shouldn't happen.

Also, yes, it is. Voting is fucking shit and anyone who likes it is shit and should be shot in real life.
People getting to play on maps that they enjoy is shit?

If you say so. =o

*edit*

Sidenote, why was everyone cheering for me to go heavy that one round? It was the first time in ages I've heard anyone on this server be encouraged to go heavy and it scared me.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I don't get HLDJ! I converted the songs in the format it is asking (wav 16-bit) and still sounds like crap!
it is best not to use HLDJ converters, use Goldwave or something similar. Also the volume can't be too high or else you will destroy the world. Jump GAF server to test.

But HLDJ converter is not all bad, as long as you can get the volume down on the track or clip you are trying to play, it is ok.

Acerac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Yes because that's exactly what happens with mapvoting.

Oh wait.
For the majority, yes? Hence the reason why we vote?

Unlike the rotation where we do a custom map in some goofy ass format that nobody's ever heard of, a custom arena map, lumbermill arena, lakeside koth (first time in ages I've actually been happy to see lakeside), then lumbermill ctf followed by pacman!

No, what mapvoting does is ensures the same maps get played over and over again to the exclusion of other maps that a not insignificant number of people like to play.

Let's say we have maps A, B, and C.

A and B get voted in all the time.

10 people like A a lot. 10 people like B a lot. Neither of these groups are composed of exactly the same people, but there is a lot of overlap, and the people left over in either group still like to play the other map pretty frequently, too.

10 people like C a lot, all separate from the above people, but because one of A or B is in the vote, as well, more than 10 people vote for whichever of A or B is in the running, and outnumber the 10 who like C a lot.

This is fucking bullshit, and if you support this method of mapchanging you are the wart on humanity's left asscheek. Those people don't know how to run a good server, and shouldn't be in charge of the maps being played.

Acerac

Banned
Yeah that's why people aren't allowed to nominate the same map for hours after it has been played. If we could just nominate the same map over and over it'd be a problem, but thankfully that issue has been dealt with

Even obscure maps get played at times with the voting system as the popular maps are quickly played through. Then everyone remembers why they never vote for said maps (they're horrible) and they get ignored again for weeks.

Yeef

Something is wrong with the rotation. Namely, it's not doing it in the right order. Twice I had to manually change it away from Arena. The way I have it set up it should go:

• King of the Hill
  • Attack / Defend
  • "Tier 2" PL, PLR, CTF (Customs and less popular stock maps of those modes).
  • 5 CP
  • Payload
  • "Tier 2" A/D, 5CP, KOTH, TC (Customs, less popular, etc.)
  • Capture the Flag
  • Payload Race
  • Arena*
Arena will only come up if there are between 2 and 18 people on the server. At 19 and above it's skipped. Either way, the rotation cycles back around to King of the Hill at the end.

I'll look into it tomorrow.

Acerac said:
Yeah that's why people aren't allowed to nominate the same map for hours after it has been played. If we could just nominate the same map over and over it'd be a problem, but thankfully that issue has been dealt with

Even obscure maps get played at times with the voting system as the popular maps are quickly played through. Then everyone remembers why they never vote for said maps (they're horrible) and they get ignored again for weeks.
Way to completely ignore the actual issue at hand. You're brilliant. That's enough of that.

Acerac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Way to completely ignore the actual issue at hand. You're brilliant. That's enough of that.
How do you figure? C will get voted for as soon as A and B are done. I covered that in my post though I didn't use letters. Apparently that is confusing for you?

I'm not sure I'd call myself brilliant, though I would say I'm not absurdly shortsighted. ;)

You're focusing on the very specific case that I mentioned and ignoring that it's a problem that happens more than once in a span of several hours. It happens again, and again, and again.

Moreover, many people vote whatever-the-fuck just to get it off the screen without actually thinking about it. Many people accidentally vote for whatever-the-fuck because they're actively playing.

And most importantly, many people are stupid and don't know what they want. That goes for pretty much everyon who votes.

Togglesworlh said:
You're focusing on the very specific case that I mentioned and ignoring that it's a problem that happens more than once in a span of several hours. It happens again, and again, and again.

Moreover, many people vote whatever-the-fuck just to get it off the screen without actually thinking about it. Many people accidentally vote for whatever-the-fuck because they're actively playing.

And most importantly, many people are stupid and don't know what they want. That goes for pretty much everyon who votes.
I know what I want when I vote, it's just that nobody else wants it.

Acerac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:

Why yes, yes I was replying to what you said. I thought that was the proper way to hold a conversation. One person says something than the other person replies to it. Have I been proceeding incorrectly?

I'll grant that some stupid picks come up due to the way votes are processed. Compared to this rotation it seems to be the lesser of two evils however. As much as I hate novelty maps like Pacman or Hightower I'd rather see them twice a night than the garbo we were being given tonight. We were seeing crap maps twice apiece anyways, the only difference was that nobody wanted to play them.

If you want to convince me that voting is a flawed system then no worries, I'm way ahead of you. I'm just saying it is better than the alternative we had in place tonight. Perhaps once Yeef fixes the rotation my tune will change. We'll see.

Damn it. I did something to my PC a couple weeks ago and it hasn't been the same ever since. TF2 feels so 'mushy' now. Like the mouse lags behind my motions. I can't figure out how to fix it. I've been turning off all sorts of services, upgrading drivers, . . . but nothing seems to fix it. I can't aim for shit now.

speculawyer said:
Damn it. I did something to my PC a couple weeks ago and it hasn't been the same ever since. TF2 feels so 'mushy' now. Like the mouse lags behind my motions. I can't figure out how to fix it. I've been turning off all sorts of services, upgrading drivers, . . . but nothing seems to fix it. I can't aim for shit now.

Didja lower your mouse sensitivity somehow? I do that sometimes on accident because there's a button on my mouse that raises/lowers it :p

Yeef

speculawyer said:
Did you enable V-Sync at the driver level, perhaps?

[EDIT]RE: Rotation

Apparently there was a bug with the next_mapgroup function in UMC. Steell, the plugin author, has pushed out a test release that should fix the issue. I've installed in on server and I'll quick play test it to make sure it's working correctly.

Yeef if you insist on using the maprating system, you should really force people to play at least two full games on the map before voting. Most people will automatically vote "terrible" on anything unfamiliar to them, simply because change makes them uncomfortable.
Acerac said:
Why yes, yes I was replying to what you said. I thought that was the proper way to hold a conversation. One person says something than the other person replies to it. Have I been proceeding incorrectly?
No, you were being deliberately obtuse by focusing on the specific example in an effort to ignore the actual point of my argument, which was that it's inherently flawed and awful, but if you want to continue being that guy, go right ahead.

Also the fact that you call Hightower a "novelty" map only further confirms that you don't deserve to vote on anything ever in life.

Acerac said:
I'm just saying it is better than the alternative we had in place tonight. Perhaps once Yeef fixes the rotation my tune will change. We'll see.
We could play arena all night once a week and it would still be vastly superior to voting.

Yeef

Yup. The update fixed the rotation.

Also, the final point on mountain lab is surprisingly hard to cap, even with no defense, when host_timescale is set to 5.

[EDIT]
Togglesworlh said:
Yeef if you insist on using the maprating system, you should really force people to play at least two full games on the map before voting. Most people will automatically vote "terrible" on anything unfamiliar to them, simply because change makes them uncomfortable.
In the nearish future I plan on setting up a map rating page on the stats site. If enough people use it, I'll wipe the database and just make in-game map rating never come up automatically. You'll either have to do !maprate in chat or go to the website.

Yeef said:
In the nearish future I plan on setting up a map rating page on the stats site. If enough people use it, I'll wipe the database and just make in-game map rating never come up automatically. You'll either have to do !maprate in chat or go to the website.
That would work!

P.S. Acerac, I'm just being mean for fun 'cause I know you can take it. No hard feelings. :D

Acerac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
No, you were being deliberately obtuse by focusing on the specific example in an effort to ignore the actual point of my argument, which was that it's inherently flawed and awful, but if you want to continue being that guy, go right ahead.

Also the fact that you call Hightower a "novelty" map only further confirms that you don't deserve to vote on anything ever in life.

We could play arena all night once a week and it would still be vastly superior to voting.
Don't present points if you don't wish me to discuss them. "Stop discussing that point I brought up! Only an absurd person would think that mattered!" If it wasn't your intention that we would discuss that specific example do you mind elaborating? Or do you prefer ranting about how crazy I am for discussing subjects that you brought to light? :)

It is duly noted however that people who make lighthearted jokes at maps you enjoy do not deserve to vote on anything ever. Very well thought out point on your part.

We could play arena all night every night and to some people it would be the best way to go. Perhaps that's what you'd prefer for the server. I merely had the idea that we'd try to make the server fun for the majority who were playing on it. Based on the comments made during gameplay this evening it seemed that we were moving away from that. Though I suppose that one could say that people were having fun and simply were mistaken when they wished for voting to return. ;)

Togglesworlh said:
That would work!

P.S. Acerac, I'm just being mean for fun 'cause I know you can take it. No hard feelings. :D
Of course, it is always a great mental exercise to wrestle with a devil's advocate.

After all if one can't state why they believe something perhaps it is best that their feelings are reconsidered. Thankfully however you have helped me realize that my opinions are well based in fact. :)

Top Bottom