• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

"YouTube Me!Team Fortress 2: Devil from the Heavens (1:41)"Sniper sent the best from whence he came!""

Freudian slip?

Also, that video is terrible. If you're going to do crappy slo-mo you've got to add some kind of mood-setting music.

[EDIT] Got a Reggaelator drop.

Bluth54

I miss voting for maps. I'm not sure if Source Mod can do this, but my suggestion would to return to map voting, but no nominations. Give us a couple of options per map vote, and not allow us to vote for a certain mode until we go through 2 maps. For example:

Lets say we play Gullywash, we would then get a couple of options to vote on, say koth_sawmille, pl_badwater, plr_hightower and cp_dustbowl (assuming we keep regular cp and a/d cp separate like how they were on the old nomination system)

We then choose Badwater Basin from those options. Then we get CTF_doublecross, KotH_Harvest, plr_pipeline and cp_Gorge to choose from. We could choose a regular CP map until the end of the next map.

I'm not sure how you would do customs though, either give them their own category that occasionally comes up or include them along with stock maps in the votes.

We could even possibly give special maps like Harvest Event, Mann Manor, Hydro, Pacman and Degroot Keep their own special category. Maybe if Source Mod lets you do it, make it much rarer for it to come up, something like 5+ map votes before the category can come up again.

Yeef

Bluth54 said:
I miss voting for maps. I'm not sure if Source Mod can do this, but my suggestion would to return to map voting, but no nominations. Give us a couple of options per map vote, and not allow us to vote for a certain mode until we go through 2 maps. For example:

Lets say we play Gullywash, we would then get a couple of options to vote on, say koth_sawmille, pl_badwater, plr_hightower and cp_dustbowl (assuming we keep regular cp and a/d cp separate like how they were on the old nomination system)

We then choose Badwater Basin from those options. Then we get CTF_doublecross, KotH_Harvest, plr_pipeline and cp_Gorge to choose from. We could choose a regular CP map until the end of the next map.

I'm not sure how you would do customs though, either give them their own category that occasionally comes up or include them along with stock maps in the votes.

We could even possibly give special maps like Harvest Event, Mann Manor, Hydro, Pacman and Degroot Keep their own special category. Maybe if Source Mod lets you do it, make it much rarer for it to come up, something like 5+ map votes before the category can come up again.
The server already does all that. 1 stock map from each category (game mode) will be in every vote and 1 random custom map. The current mode and last mode are excluded (i.e. if we just played KOTH and we're playing Payload neither KOTH nor Payload maps will show up). Then any nominations are added to the list as well and that's what comes up in the vote.

I also have it set so that Arena doesn't come up with over 12 people and custom maps don't come up with under 12 people. Either can still be nominated, they just won't come up on their own.

Bluth54

Also I think it would be cool if we turned on team killing during the waiting for players phase. Of course you would have to turn off the stats until the setup phase and reset the scoreboard once the setup phase started, but I have played on servers setup like this and it's a lot of fun to kill your teammates instead of just sitting around doing nothing during the waiting for players phase.

Also you need to set the respawn time to instant, or maybe 1-2 seconds during the waiting for players phase if you do turn on team killing.

I don't know how much work that would be for you Yeef. I know some of the Reddit servers are setup that way, or were back when I played on them.

Bluth54

Yeef said:
The server already does all that. 1 stock map from each category (game mode) will be in every vote and 1 random custom map. The current mode and last mode are excluded (i.e. if we just played KOTH and we're playing Payload neither KOTH nor Payload maps will show up). Then any nominations are added to the list as well and that's what comes up in the vote.

I also have it set so that Arena doesn't come up with over 12 people and custom maps don't come up with under 12 people. Either can still be nominated, they just won't come up on their own.
Really they do? I knew I was tired tonight, I didn't realize how tired I was to forget about that. ;)

Edit, oh I see you turned it back on tonight. Missed that post.

Yeef

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/612715011036143335/9C15A8A75466D70C412E2C811D62A08688A7FF55/
Bluth54 said:
Really they do? I knew I was tired tonight, I didn't realize how tired I was to forget about that. ;)

Edit, oh I see you turned it back on tonight. Missed that post.
I didn't turn anything back on! You missed the post like a week ago where I set the server to automatically turn on Rotation Sunday through Tuesday and voting Wednesday through Saturday.

So far it seems like the rotation is mostly unpopular, but I'll edit the criteria for selecting maps and leave it up for a few more weeks to see if it can be salvaged.

As far as team killing goes, I prefer it off. You can kill the other team on any maps that aren't attack defend during the waiting for players time. What would be better than TKing would be a plugin that automatically opens the gates on Attack Defend maps during wait time. That way you can get the [color] bastards a few times before the game starts and then exchange awkward glances when the guy that you just killed ends up on your team after the scramble! :D

Bluth54

Yeef said:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/612715011036143335/9C15A8A75466D70C412E2C811D62A08688A7FF55/
I didn't turn anything back on! You missed the post like a week ago where I set the server to automatically turn on Rotation Sunday through Tuesday and voting Wednesday through Saturday.

So far it seems like the rotation is mostly unpopular, but I'll edit the criteria for selecting maps and leave it up for a few more weeks to see if it can be salvaged.

As far as team killing goes, I prefer it off. You can kill the other team on any maps that aren't attack defend during the waiting for players time. What would be better than TKing would be a plugin that automatically opens the gates on Attack Defend maps during wait time. That way you can get the [color] bastards a few times before the game starts and then exchange awkward glances when the guy that you just killed ends up on your team after the scramble! :D

Totally missed that post and I was very confused about why you were saying map voting was turned on when it wasn't the last 2 days I played. I work from 3:30 to Midnight on Tuesday through Saturday so I only get to play on Sundays and Mondays. I'm very happy to see I'm not crazy.

I agree that I don't really like rotation, though I'm also not a huge fan of have a ton of nominated maps along with all the randomly chosen maps for map vote. Maybe instead of rotation just turn off nomination those days and just let people choose from the random selections like I originally suggested? It would allow us to have some control over the map while still being somewhat on a rotation.

Edit: Improving the rotation may help, but I don't think random rotation will ever be poplar on the gaf server as long as we have voting options.

Yeef

Togglesworlh said:
Don't mistake the vocal minority full of dumb people for the majority.

Also remember that dumb people are only worth like 3/487 of a person.
What people say has nothing to do with it. Compared to when there was no rotation on those days to now the server traffic has dropped about 40%. People lie, numbers don't.

Yeef said:
What people say has nothing to do with it. Compared to when there was no rotation on those days to now the server traffic has dropped about 40%. People lie, numbers don't.
Yeah but that's just 'cause I haven't been playing on those nights. :3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hmmm, CS:Source just downloaded a patch. Maybe I am just a bit paranoid, but CS:Source doesn't usually get updates separate from TF2. Unless some of the TF2 updates also broke CS:Source.

Drkirby said:
Hmmm, CS:Source just downloaded a patch. Maybe I am just a bit paranoid, but CS:Source doesn't usually get updates separate from TF2. Unless some of the TF2 updates also broke CS:Source.
Portal 2 crashed on me when I pressed Tab last night.

Same as TF2 does.

Yeef

I updated the rotation, now it looks like this:
  • King of the Hill
  • Attack / Defend
  • 5 CP
  • Payload
  • CTF
  • Payload Race
  • Arena

I tightened the requirements for Arena. It'll only come up when there are between 6 and 12 people playing, otherwise it's skipped.

Custom maps are now integrated into the normal categories instead of being their own categories, but stock maps are 2.5x as likely to come up. There are some exceptions, like Watermill (60% as likely as stock) and Cashworks (equally as likely as stock). Some maps are completely excluded from the rotation, but I won't tell you which ones. (You can probably guess).

Drkirby said:
With the Manniversary patch they split CS:S off from the other orange box updates. I thought you read the mailing list. Pffft!

Acerac

Banned
Yeef said:
I updated the rotation, now it looks like this:
  • King of the Hill
  • Attack / Defend
  • 5 CP
  • Payload
  • CTF
  • Payload Race
  • Arena

I tightened the requirements for Arena. It'll only come up when there are between 6 and 12 people playing, otherwise it's skipped.

Custom maps are now integrated into the normal categories instead of being their own categories, but stock maps are 2.5x as likely to come up. There are some exceptions, like Watermill (60% as likely as stock) and Cashworks (equally as likely as stock). Some maps are completely excluded from the rotation, but I won't tell you which ones. (You can probably guess).
Sounds good Yeef. Perhaps this rotation will be a bit more successful than the last one.

Yeef

Togglesworlh said:
awful completely awful
Nope. It's just math. In most modes there are a lot more custom maps than there are stock maps. Generally it works out that the odds of getting a custom are between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5, which I'm fine with.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe we can Commandeer Yeoz's Idle server to be the 24/7 Event map.

Yeef, you get the rope, I'll grab a chair.

AcciDante

You guys just have awful taste, and hopefully Yeef won't listen to you. You may not like those maps, but it's during those maps that the server is full and stays full. Even if it gets a little stalematey, it's lively.

Tenck said:
Except Medics, because they suck.
8XAO7.gif

Top Bottom