• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Blizzard

Banned
Bakphoon said:
Well i was always beaten by noclipping admins. I complained once because of this and i got banned from the server.
That's exactly what the player/server abuse reporting system thing is supposed to help prevent, as far as I understand -- noclipping admins, limiting it to certain players, freezing players, that sort of thing.

Zomba13

Lol. Just had someone try and offer me a Haunted item for my Scorching unusual dixie.

He promptly removed me from the friends list when I asked if that worked on any noobs.

Valygar

Grimm Fandango said:
Just a few tips:
-Play on small servers. Only 10 human players are needed to spawn gifts.
-If you see the message, drop whatever you are doing and start looking around.
-Get your Scout on.

Also, very important... the gift spawns exactly 5 minutes after the last one is picked up, even if the match is won (and the map does not end). If the map reloads again, it spawns always in a minute, or something like that.

Tip for getting the secret halloween gifts on Eyeaduct - they often appear just up the steps of each team's side, in the middle of the floor.

Also, been having so much fun with the update - nice to see everyone pulling together to get gifts when Monoculus appears (though there's sometimes jerks who kill you when you're running to the portal in the underworld - one guy killed about 3 of us despite the fact we were running alongside the other team. What're your thoughts on this GAF?).

Ubermatik said:
Tip for getting the secret halloween gifts on Eyeaduct - they often appear just up the steps of each team's side, in the middle of the floor.

Also, been having so much fun with the update - nice to see everyone pulling together to get gifts when Monoculus appears (though there's sometimes jerks who kill you when you're running to the portal in the underworld - one guy killed about 3 of us despite the fact we were running alongside the other team. What're your thoughts on this GAF?).
Killing people while in Loot Island is a strict no-no for me. Otherwise, mini-sentries for all.

Professor Beef said:
Killing people while in Loot Island is a strict no-no for me. Otherwise, mini-sentries for all.

Hell, DEFINITELY no kills when on loot island, but I don't kill anywhere in the underworld, or when Monoculus is about. Even though I have all the gifts I want others to get them too.

I'm just that kind of guy.

Valygar

I've started to bore myself with this update. Now I'm roleplaying a cultist of the monocolous god, and killing anybody that tries to kill him (and of course, wearing the monocolous hat). I've not decided yet if I should kill the people walking into the portals or not.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Valygar said:
I've not decided yet if I should kill the people walking into the portals or not.

Well obviously you should if it gives them power to kill him easier.

No kills when Monoculus is out. Yes kills in Loot Island. Why? Because the point is now active! You should deny the other team god mode.

This assumes you care about winning the map and not the achievement.

Sianos

Apparently I did a good enough job killing mini sentries last night, haha.

If Monoculus is out and there's Engies/Sentries about, I will usually kill the sentries first, then foucs on Mono. After all, its a free uber!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Urgh, it's hard to get the two achievements since no one wants to cooperate. I'm not even interested in halloween items.

Drkirby said:
Yeah. It crashed once, and then my PC crashed once. The overhead of 9 text copies of TF2 running on one PC can be a bit of a burden on the normal instance. I let a friend use it after I went to sleep (Left 9 idlers on it), and it worked just fine for the 3 hours he was using it.

I am going to try and have my laptop run the 9 textmode instances of TF2, but I'm not sure if it has enough ram.

Glad to see I'm not the only one doing this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
NSQuote said:
Paid version of Sandboxie.

If you only have two accounts, you can use the trial.
Also, bat files to help the process.

Account Specific Example
start /low D:\Steam\Steam.exe -login ACCOUNTNAME PASSWORD -applaunch 440 -textmode -novid -nosound -noipx -nojoy -nopreload -sw -width 640 -height 480 +map itemtest

Then the bat file that runs all the individual bat files in sandboxes.
start D:\Sandboxie\Start.exe /box:TF2_1 "C:\Users\Chet\Documents\Idle\subkirby1.bat"
TIMEOUT 180
start D:\Sandboxie\Start.exe /box:TF2_2 "C:\Users\Chet\Documents\Idle\subkirby2.bat"
TIMEOUT 180
start D:\Sandboxie\Start.exe /box:TF2_3 "C:\Users\Chet\Documents\Idle\subkirby3.bat"
TIMEOUT 180

Timeout makes it so the command promt waits ether the allocated time, or till you push any button to continue. I do it since there can be some issues with multiple copies of TF2 reading the same files all at once.

Proven

When it comes to Monoculus, when it's not the portal to Loot Island and instead just the portal to god mode, I kill people. You can easily get Monoculus down to zero without it. When it comes to the portal to Loot Island, I'll let people through, cap the point, and then run away until their god mode is up, at which point they're trying to cap the point and I can shoot them all at once. It's great to have a banner ready at this point.

Yeef said:
I got that email like a year ago.

Once again, Forkball is late to the party.
And I got that youtube email earlier this week. You're even behind me, Forkball.

deleted

Why don't I see the eye in the Gibus ingame? Its only in the item icon, but it should also show ingame, right?

kb7fdd.jpg

Yeef

xyla said:
Why don't I see the eye in the Gibus ingame? Its only in the item icon, but it should also show ingame, right?

kb7fdd.jpg
Go to your backpack and make sure the style is set to Ghaslierest.

I think I'm happy with the Halloween restriction on items despite some of them being cool, because if The Monoculus hat became the new Gibus in terms of something that most people use I just would not be able to handle it.

Tenck

Rickenslacker said:
I think I'm happy with the Halloween restriction on items despite some of them being cool, because if The Monoculus hat became the new Gibus in terms of something that most people use I just would not be able to handle it.

Why is it that you're the one who can decide how I dress?!?!?!

Acerac

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
Yeah that's one item that really needed to stay Halloween only.

Ok so im pretty new to steam and only just got this. Im pretty good at CoD/ Halo/ FPS games in general but this doesnt seem as straightforward as those games. Any Gaffers willing to adopt a noob or maybe point me in the right direction?

Yeef

So, after going through all of the (janky) modes on the Waiting Room, here is my summary:

Vs. Saxton Hale is awesome (we knew this already), but I should probably set the goomba stomp so that it takes off a certain amount of health rather than 100% + 50 damage. 1-shotting Hale, while hilarious, doesn't really work for the mode. Also, I think making hale just a bit slower and lowering his health per player a bit would be good too.

Zombie Fortress is super buggy, possibly because of conflicts with some other plugins. Either way, it wasn't working very well. I'm interested in giving it another try with at least a half-full server.

The Hidden was pretty fun once we got it working. Not sure how the queue system works. Everyone got to be the Hidden twice before Tenck even got his first try. Also, it moved the replay bot to the red team and he destroyed NSQuote when all seemed lost.

Assassination is pretty terrible. The ruleset* is a bit complicated and the default colors for the assassin and the target are red and blue, which is stupid and confusing. I don't think that playing it on a payload map made much sense either. I'm willing to give it one more chance on a KOTH map. There are also cvars to change the collors, so I think I'll change the assassin to green and the target to yellow. If it still sucks I'll just get rid of it.

* For those confused, in Assassination, one player is the Assassin and a player on the other team is the target. The team with the assassin gets 1 point for any kill they make. The team with the target doesn't get any points for kills. If the assassin kills the target his team gets 7 points and another target is chosen. If anyone kills the assassin, that person becomes the assassin, so his team can start scoring points.

The Quickening - Didn't get to play this one, but it's straightforward enough that it's fairly obvious what it'll play like. I would like to give it a shot eventually.

Modes I'd consider putting onto the server:
Prop Hunt, TF2 Ware

bobs99 ... said:
Ok so im pretty new to steam and only just got this. Im pretty good at CoD/ Halo/ FPS games in general but this doesnt seem as straightforward as those games. Any Gaffers willing to adopt a noob or maybe point me in the right direction?
Join Steam Group: NeoGAF-TF2

Add GAF server to your favorites: NeoGAF Janky Ass Server 4.0

Wait for an announcement (usually around 8~9PM EST). Join server and play. You will be maimed, slaughtered and destroyed, but you'll get the hang of it and get good.

Tenck

bobs99 ... said:

I will adopt you and make you my Spy son. But I think there's too many dedicated Spy players as it is :eek:

Sianos

My strategy of super jumping around the map facestabbing people worked extremely well until Yeef possessed the replay bot and killed me with his voodoo magic!

Curse you, Yiffffffff! >:U

Other noteworthy happenings:

- For whatever reason, Zombie Fortress would only give me milk. This made it pretty hard to beat the enemy team composed completely of snipers.

- Saxton Hale was broken, so instead we fought the Giant Error Sign of Hitbox Ambiguity. Shields give you crits for all weapons, so I was able to pretty much pillspam my way through every round. The caber deals a ton of damage (500-600) and launches you both far away, so it worked well for whenever I was in trouble.

- That last goomba stomp was BEAUTIFUL.

- We played a match of Scouts versus Heavies... and the Scouts won.

It was pretty embarassing.

- Yeef completely broke The Hidden, so we just sat there watching the flashing arena box while he fixed it. And it was still better than playing Hoodoo!

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, the error box on Saxton Hale made it mostly unplayable, in addition to Saxton winning every round I saw.

Please put prophunt and TF2-ware on if possible and if they aren't bugged out.

Don't you guys remember? TF2 ware is borked completely. Some update valve had ruined it and they can't fix it again.

EDIT: Does prophunt always have the metal slug music? If so... best thing ever.

Sianos

Blizzard said:
Yeah, the error box on Saxton Hale made it mostly unplayable, in addition to Saxton winning every round I saw.

Please put prophunt and TF2-ware on if possible and if they aren't bugged out.

The only two rounds Saxton lost was that one where he was Goomba stomped and the time you suicided, so some balance tweaks might be needed.

TF2Ware is broken, but I definitely agree that prophunt should be in.

XeroSauce

Forkball said:
I got an e-mail from Youtube saying I can add Google Adsense to my videos to make money. So while you're making your daily visits to my Youtube page to watch my Oscar-worthy TF2 videos, be sure to click on an ad or two in the future.

Yea, had that for a while too now.

Made 20 cents so far.

Forkball said:
I got an e-mail from Youtube saying I can add Google Adsense to my videos to make money. So while you're making your daily visits to my Youtube page to watch my Oscar-worthy TF2 videos, be sure to click on an ad or two in the future.
what is your Youtube channel?

Tenck

Is there any way I could take a replay from my TF2 folder and convert it so I can upload it on my own?

I have an 8 minute video on TF2 but it keeps crashing on me. If it was from the Gaf server, I would have easily downloaded it from the stats page, but it wasn't ;_;

Edit: And it's not that the video is corrupted (seen it twice) but ffs TF2 keeps crashing on me.

Hylian7

Ubermatik said:

I encourage it. Part of the fun of going after these items is competing with other people for them.

I was getting really annoyed at servers that are kicking people for killing other people while Monoculus is spawned or in the underworld.

Yeef

Tenck said:
Is there any way I could take a replay from my TF2 folder and convert it so I can upload it on my own?

I have an 8 minute video on TF2 but it keeps crashing on me. If it was from the Gaf server, I would have easily downloaded it from the stats page, but it wasn't ;_;

Edit: And it's not that the video is corrupted (seen it twice) but ffs TF2 keeps crashing on me.
Did you already render it, or is it crashing in the editor? If the latter, there's not much you can do. If the former you can find the rendered files in \Steam\steamapps\tenck\team fortress 2\tf\replay\client\rendered.

Blizzard said:
That's exactly what the player/server abuse reporting system thing is supposed to help prevent, as far as I understand -- noclipping admins, limiting it to certain players, freezing players, that sort of thing.

The only time I saw this implemented well was on one server where basically, it had a queue, and all you had to do to get something was wait your turn. It was structured so that everyone who was there would have a fair chance at getting a gift.

Tenck said:
I will adopt you and make you my Spy son. But I think there's too many dedicated Spy players as it is :eek:

I didn't realise at first that stabbing the knife threw me out of disguise but when I did I got used to it and managed to kill a couple of guys, im pretty sure if I stuck with it I would love the Spy class.

Im more of a Sniper though, unfortunatly my PC seems to have frame rate issues with TF2, (My PC is quite old), so my career has probably come to a quick end. That said it is a pretty damn fun game, I could imagine getting quite into it if my PC allowed me to.

Join Steam Group: NeoGAF-TF2

Add GAF server to your favorites: NeoGAF Janky Ass Server 4.0

Wait for an announcement (usually around 8~9PM EST). Join server and play. You will be maimed, slaughtered and destroyed, but you'll get the hang of it and get good.

I might head in, my PC is a little crappy though so im not sure how much I would actually play. :/

bobs99 ... said:
I didn't realise at first that stabbing the knife threw me out of disguise but when I did I got used to it and managed to kill a couple of guys, im pretty sure if I stuck with it I would love the Spy class.

Im more of a Sniper though, unfortunatly my PC seems to have frame rate issues with TF2, (My PC is quite old), so my career has probably come to a quick end. That said it is a pretty damn fun game, I could imagine getting quite into it if my PC allowed me to.

I might head in, my PC is a little crappy though so im not sure how much I would actually play. :/

I play TF2 at 60 FPS on a laptop with an integrated graphics card.

http://fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/

Grab the 'maxframes' config, install, and profit.

SteveWinwood said:
Why aren't people in the waiting room?

I was on my way over till i realized the time...Right after Boardwalk Empire ill be back on. Not sure if ill be on Jank as im still grinding for Halloween goods and told artist id give him his haunted spy thingee if i can get another one as a drop or get my haunted pyro horns without having to trade it

Top Bottom