• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Sgt.Pepper said:
This update made me realize something. Why the fuck do I care about cosmetic items? Thanks for showing me the light Valve.
'Cause Barbie Dress Up Doll is the best game this side of My Little Ponies: The Game.

It frankly annoyed the hell out of me how people went crazy over the Halloween items, and I was going to do the same. I feel disgusted, and well, I don't want to still care about those things.

Sgt.Pepper said:
It frankly annoyed the hell out of me how people went crazy over the Halloween items, and I was going to do the same. I feel disgusted, and well, I don't want to still care about those things.

I killed the boss, took the Bombinomicon, traded away my free Halloween items, and I'm on hiatus until the Halloween fever fades away. Plus it's a good excuse to play Batman.

(._.)

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
Every server running 24/7 Halloween maps is the worst offense.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Nothing especial http://tf2b.com/?id=ltcoheng

I really don't want to spend money since I'm planning to travel in Christmas, and I should be able to satisfy my gaming needs with some of them. I got a guy interested in the Team Captain for Bastion.

Given that Bastion is on sale for $7.50, that's a pretty even trade. Plus I hear Bastion is pretty bad-ass. I'd do that trade.

EDIT: You could probably also squeeze him to buy you the current Humble Bundle code too, but that seems kinda like cheating ;)

Deadbeat

Banned
Team Captains for Bastion is a good deal.

edit: You are getting more value than the hat is actually worth. The hat usually goes for 7 dollars (people wanting 8 bucks are imbeciles but that works in your favor).

He said that he just liked the hat. And where I posted it, I said that. I will give him something else, don't like feeling like an ass.

Yeef

6v6 has never interested me much, but Highlander is awesome. It makes the class roles stand out so much more than normal games.

Sgt.Pepper said:
He said that he just liked the hat. And where I posted it, I said that. I will give him something else, don't like feeling like an ass.

As long as you're up front with him, and he took the offer, you don't need to feel guilty and add any sweets. :) Take it and run!

Deadbeat

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
As long as you're up front with him, and he took the offer, you don't need to feel guilty and add any sweets. :) Take it and run!
Yeah theres nothing wrong with this. Just take the deal. Ive traded a non vintage volcano fragment for a vintage sun on a stick because the guy said he didnt care. he wanted the fragment so bad.

(._.)

Banned
Yeef said:
6v6 has never interested me much, but Highlander is awesome. It makes the class roles stand out so much more than normal games.
Highlander just gets so boring imo. It lacks the depth 6v6 has. I enjoy playing highlander but it is far less competitive and feels a lot like just normal tf2. Thing that makes 6v6 interesting is that it actually has qualities you can't find in highlander or just normal play.

Yeef said:
Highlander has a better playercount than 6v6. 8-10 players per team is ideal, though I prefer eight. Skew on the lower side. Twelve per team is too much. Six is too little. Scouts become far too powerful at such a low playercount.

divisionbyzorro said:
If you were playing Payload, offense lasts more than one round. Most Payload maps have multiple stages; if you stop them on any stage, you immediately move to offense.

And while playing against bots isn't necessarily great for learning how to be effective in combat, it is good for learning how maps and game modes work.

First of all thanks for the tip with the FPS file, that worked wonders!

Im normally ok with picking up game rules, but the meta rules of when rounds changed, when games ended etc all slipped past me!

Drkirby said:
The server you are playing on will determine how the rounds go. Some servers will just set it on the same map for an hour, and keep switching who is on which team. So don't worry about "winning the map", just worry about the round at hand, though some maps have multiple stages to them.

The game shipped with only 6 maps, most of which aren't even that good. The modes were Capture the Flag, Capture Point, and Territorial Control.

To ease into the game, both Payload and Attack/Defend type Capture points are good IMO. If the GAF server starts getting some people, jump onto that.

Just play the maps, and have fun. You would likely be best to stay away from custom maps a bit for now though, but do what you have fun with.

Im going to stick with the 'play now' option so that I stick with official maps and gametypes. Also it feels odd that 'matches' dont exist, I was hoping that when a round ended the teams swapped so that everyone had a chance at attack and defend. I assume with the game being 'round' based rather than match based that the game could end and load up a new map at a random point? Is there a way to tell in advance when the server is going to throw up a new map?

bobs99 ... said:
Im going to stick with the 'play now' option so that I stick with official maps and gametypes. Also it feels odd that 'matches' dont exist, I was hoping that when a round ended the teams swapped so that everyone had a chance at attack and defend. I assume with the game being 'round' based rather than match based that the game could end and load up a new map at a random point? Is there a way to tell in advance when the server is going to throw up a new map?
Teams do swap. Depends on the map and the server whether or not enough rounds will be played for that to happen. Most servers I've been on will play two full games per map, with some exceptions. For example, if the server's been on the map for an extra long time, it might switch to a new map after the current round is over. Or if the map is just extra long in general, the server might have custom settings for that map to only play one full game.

It differs from server to server, like I said.

If you want to see how much time is left on the current map, you can sometimes type "timeleft" in the chat. Not sure if it's a standard server thing or not. I forget. But if it's not time-based, then no, there's not really any way to know, I think.

Togglesworlh said:
Teams do swap. Depends on the map and the server whether or not enough rounds will be played for that to happen. Most servers I've been on will play two full games per map, with some exceptions. For example, if the server's been on the map for an extra long time, it might switch to a new map after the current round is over. Or if the map is just extra long in general, the server might have custom settings for that map to only play one full game.

It differs from server to server, like I said.

If you want to see how much time is left on the current map, you can sometimes type "timeleft" in the chat. Not sure if it's a standard server thing or not. I forget. But if it's not time-based, then no, there's not really any way to know, I think.

Thanks for that. Yesterday I was trying to stick around until I completed games, which happened VERY rarely. In a way its sort of nice that its so drop in/ drop out.

divisionbyzorro said:
Got Bastion and Indie Bundle for TC + Villain's Veil (this one was a drop). Nice!

Probably going to buy the Pyro mask from the Halloween sale. Gonna try to round-up as many of the remaining sets as I can over the next 5 days. I only have 1 complete :(

On the other hand, I do need to go to the Valve store for some backpack expanders because my God, I am full of stuff.

I got an untradable Your Worst Nightmare that I got from Summer Shades and Spiral Pallet. If someone gives me a gift wrap, it is yours.

Yeef

Togglesworlh said:
The scoreboard has time remaining in the upper right corner and map info in the lower right.

The best part of when the item server shits itself and acts slower than usual is that I can mix and match items that are otherwise incompatible. Pocket Medic + Soldier Medal, Noh Mercy + Fez, Bonk Boy + Planeswalker Goggles, me likey.

Javaman

Sgt.Pepper said:

Yeah, these stupid Halloween gift grabs are the worst thing to happen to the game. Each year is worse than the last. My solution? Just don't play until it's over then it won't matter at all. No need to find anything if you can't wear them.

When is the event over?

Javaman said:
Yeah, these stupid Halloween gift grabs are the worst thing to happen to the game. Each year is worse than the last. My solution? Just don't play until it's over then it won't matter at all. No need to find anything if you can't wear them.
Pretty much. I was weak for a night and a half but then I was like what am I doing so I quit.

When is the event over?
November 2, I wanna say? EDIT: No, I think that was something else. I believe the event lasts two weeks, but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom