• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Maffis

Just got it too. No update log yet. It wasn't that big. 10mb or so I'd say.

edit: maybe it was bigger. I don't know the dl speed I had :p

mojiimbo

Team Fortress 2
Added a full moon background for the main menu
Added new promo items
Fixed a Linux dedicated server crash when using +randommap on the command line
Fixed some bugs with the way items appear in the Steam Community and Steam Trading
Optimized several materials to improvement performance
Updated the localization files

Schema update mentions new items which seem to be Saints Row 3 related:

http://pastie.org/2844791

"name": "Cold War Luchador"
"item_description": "The most terrifying Soviet\/Latino partnership since the Cuban Missile Crisis.",
"name": "Mark of the Saint",
"name": "Apoco-Fists",
"item_description": "Turn every one of your fingers into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! That's over nineteen Horsemen of the Apocalypse per glove! The most Apocalypse we've ever dared attach to one hand!",
"name": "Mysterious Promo"
"item_name": "TF_Bundle_MysteriousPromo",
Also:
"name": "draw sniper beam when scoped UNUSED",
+ "name": "crit kill will gib",
"attribute_class": "draw_sniper_beam_when_scoped_UNUSED",
+ "attribute_class": "crit_kill_will_gib",
"description_string": "Attrib_DrawBeamWhenScoped",
+ "description_string": "Killing an enemy with a critical hit will dismember your victim. Painfully.",

Zomba13

New stuff

4cTvo.jpg

Sianos

While the description for the mask is kind of witty, the promos look really ugly.

Think these are the worst ones yet.

Forkball said:
This was in the update.

Killicon_flyswatter.png

OH GOD

It's... BEAUTIFUL

If it's a reskin, it better be a market gardener one.

Togglesworlh said:
Direct Hit.
Loch 'n' Load.
Sydney Sleeper.
I think the Sydney has its place. The other two I agree with 100%. They're downgrades in every way.

I suppose the Sydney is a downgrade as well, but it has a meaningful set bonus. Plus, there's piss involved. Can't go wrong with piss.

Professor Beef said:
Quick-Fix
oh you.

Togglesworlh said:
Natasha was win before the nerf. Never forget. :-(

The Market Gardener is just one of those weapons that's fun to mess around with, but isn't actually good. There are a lot of those in TF2. Like demoknight. I love demoknight, but it's in no way superior to vanilla demo. Significantly more useful than the Market Gardener, but...

Stop dying, stupid!

Bonesaw and ubersaw are both better because you're either killing things or building ubercharge, instead of decreasing maximum health.
Cloudius12 said:
Mantreads is pretty bad too.
See, that's what I'm talking about.

Rocket Jumper + Mantreads + Market Gardener. FUN. Not useful, but definitely fun.

Acerac

Banned
Direct hit can be good extremely situationally to take out sentries?

Granted, depending on the place of the sentry either a sniper or a demo can typically do the job better... meh.

Yea, there really are a lot of junk weapons. I guess I forgot about many of these (intentionally).

Acerac said:
Direct hit can be good extremely situationally to take out sentries?

Granted, depending on the place of the sentry either a sniper or a demo can typically do the job better... meh.
I'd probably rather equip the Tank Buster set and its 20% defense buff vs. sentries. And because the Black Box is actually a good weapon choice in general, you won't be looking to switch your equipment once you die.

Crusader's Crossbow somewhere on the same lines of uselessness. Maybe fun but useless.

Accidante did get me with a headshot recently lol. At least it can be used in Degroot.

Acerac

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Yea, there really are a lot of junk weapons. I guess I forgot about many of these (intentionally).

I'd probably rather equip the Tank Buster set and its 20% defense buff vs. sentries. And because the Black Box is actually a good weapon choice in general, you won't be looking to switch your equipment once you die.
20% defense compared to taking down a level 3 in 2 shots instead of 3. I can see why you'd pick that over the direct hit, but I wouldn't. I'd rather give the engy minimal time to react.

Granted, you do need to switch your weapon out right after, but that's why we have preset loadouts, eh? :)

Cloudius12 said:
Crusader's Crossbow somewhere on the same lines of uselessness. Maybe fun but useless.

Accidante did get me with a headshot recently lol. At least it can be used in Degroot.
I think I played with the Crossbow once...but the Syringe Gun and Overdose deliver actual kills in the clutch. Playing "Battle Medic" is just...an affront to the game. lol

Acerac said:
20% defense compared to taking down a level 3 in 2 shots instead of 3. I can see why you'd pick that over the direct hit, but I wouldn't. I'd rather give the engy minimal time to react.

Granted, you do need to switch your weapon out right after, but that's why we have preset loadouts, eh? :)
fair enough. I can't disagree with that.

Sianos

Market Gardener might not be useful, but is fun and can catch people off gaurd. It's very rewarding, and takes practice to use effectively.

If it isn't a Market Gardner reskin, I'd prefer it to be a Disciplinary Action, which it probably is. As long as it isn't an Equalizer!

Pain Train....for good mass soldiers lol on CP.

Edit: Anyone using automatic reload in Advance Option? I think it is cool except the fact everytime you shoot, the gun reloads blocking your vision lol.

Togglesworlh said:
Stop dying, stupid!

Bonesaw and ubersaw are both better because you're either killing things or building ubercharge, instead of decreasing maximum health.
I'm a Medic. My job is to only stay as close as necessary, otherwise I run the fuck away. Bonesaw is just completely worthless, and Ubersaw is nearly as worthless. Sure you get a chunk of Uber per hit, but you run the risk of dying ever-so-quickly, losing what Uber you had.

Cloudius12 said:
Edit: Anyone using automatic reload in Advance Option? I think it is cool except the fact everytime you shoot, the gun reloads blocking your vision lol.

I only find that it blocks my vision when I play Spy. But that's like never lol.

Professor Beef said:
I'm a Medic. My job is to only stay as close as necessary, otherwise I run the fuck away. Bonesaw is just completely worthless, and Ubersaw is nearly as worthless. Sure you get a chunk of Uber per hit, but you run the risk of dying ever-so-quickly, losing what Uber you had.
If you aren't proactive with melee when the time is right, you are not a good medic. I'm sorry.

XeroSauce

Togglesworlh said:
Direct Hit.
Two shotting Sentries and one-shotting Minis? Not useless.

Loch 'n' Load.
One shotting a Scout and clearing an entire point with one grenade due to splash, also helps with learning how to aim the trejectory for direct hits better? Not useless.

Sydney Sleeper.
A crutch for new-time players who are just starting out Sniper to help out their teammates and nail a few assist to become useful instead of "1 headshot a minute"? Ehhh...I guess.

Maffis

Direct hit is good against heavies (stationary, easy to deal a lot of damage), soldiers (makes it harder for enemy soldiers to rocket jump), demomen (fragile, counters sticky jumping), pyros (harder to reflect) and engineers (bye bye sentries). Oh, it also 1-shots every light class in close range, and the weapon is highly satisfying to use if you can score airshots.

I find the DH to be pretty balanced actually. But it requires more "skill" to use effectively IMO.

The Market Gardener is a straight upgrade to the shovel. So it's hard to call it useless.

Don't forget about the Crusader's Crossbow set bonus with the Amputator. There is potential there.

Direct Hit is effective in pubs and wrecks sentries. The Loch'n'Load, on the other hand, is pretty bad.

Mantreads and Gunboats are horrible. Vita-Saw is horrible. Razorback is horrible. Crit-a-Cola is so situational as to basically be useless.

There are a bunch of other weapons that I think have downsides greater than upsides (Sandman, Diamondback, Natascha, Brass Beast, Bazaar Bargain, etc.), but I wouldn't call them "Horrible."

Smithy C

I find that I do way better with the Loch-n-Load than with the regular grenade launcher. But I'm also not a very good Demoman anyway, so I probably shouldn't be trusted on this stuff.

Direct Hit is ass.

Sianos

Cloudius12 said:
Pain Train....for good mass soldiers lol on CP.

Try out a crosshair switcher. You can disable viewmodels for certain weapons and can pick a crosshair for each one.

This one never desynchronizes (unless you weapon switch while taunting, but even then you just have to scroll back through) and has a myriad of options. Try it out!

divisionbyzorro said:
The Market Gardener is a straight upgrade to the shovel. So it's hard to call it useless.

Don't forget about the Crusader's Crossbow set bonus with the Amputator. There is potential there.

Direct Hit is effective in pubs and wrecks sentries. The Loch'n'Load, on the other hand, is pretty bad.

Mantreads and Gunboats are horrible. Vita-Saw is horrible. Razorback is horrible. Crit-a-Cola is so situational as to basically be useless.

There are a bunch of other weapons that I think have downsides greater than upsides (Sandman, Diamondback, Natascha, Brass Beast, Bazaar Bargain, etc.), but I wouldn't call them "Horrible."

Gunboats are pretty useless unless you are really good at rocket jumping and hitting with your rockets. In that case, it gives you extra mobility by reducing the health cost of rocket jumps while not making the rockects useless in combat. Seems like a median between the stock rocket launcher and the rocket jumper.

Sandman can be very useful if you can aim the ball: you can stun people so you can easily kill them or stun them at range so they don't escape you and your teammates.

Bazaar Baragin is useful because it has a counter with NUMBERS that go up when you headshot people and it makes you feel good when you have nice big numbers.

XeroSauce said:
Direct Hit - If your specific job is going to be targeting down sentries, that's cool. But it's quite the pigeon hole. Meanwhile, the enemy solly will be owning you most of the time.

LnL - I mean, sure you can learn a certain bit of accuracy, but at the heavy cost of the value of normal grenades (rolling, delayed detonation, etc.). It's cool in corridors or something (2Fort entrances, bridge), but otherwise, it seems a huge step down in practical application.

Maffis said:
Direct hit is good against heavies (stationary, easy to deal a lot of damage), soldiers (makes it harder for enemy soldiers to rocket jump), demomen (fragile, counters sticky jumping), pyros (harder to reflect) and engineers (bye bye sentries). Oh, it also 1-shots every light class in close range, and the weapon is highly satisfying to use if you can score airshots.

I find the DH to be pretty balanced actually. But it requires more "skill" to use effectively IMO.
Pros aren't using the DH. can't count on getting a direct hit while your opponent is enjoying heavy splash damage that the other RLs are giving.

In battles with other Sollies, you get owned freely by any decent RL or Liberty Launcher user when using the Direct Hit.

NSQuote said:
Gunboats are pretty useless unless you are really good at rocket jumping and hitting with your rockets. In that case, it gives you extra mobility by reducing the health cost of rocket jumps while not making the rockects useless in combat. Seems like a median between the stock rocket launcher and the rocket jumper.

If you don't need the added firepower of a secondary weapon, you should use a banner. Any of the banners is better than the Gunboats (and in fact, I prefer the Buff Banner to the shotgun anyway). If health is a major concern when rocket jumping, use the Black Box.

At least, that's the way I see it. I guess if you're incredibly good at rocket jumping and wall jumping, you could use the Gunboats to safely fly across certain maps to beat the other team to an objective, but once you get to that location you're still somewhat low on health and you have no secondary weapon.

Dreams-Visions said:
Pros aren't using the DH. can't count on getting a direct hit while your opponent is enjoying heavy splash damage that the other RLs are giving.

Pros also don't see the same variety of classes that you see in pubs.

Top Bottom