• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Proven

Saw the blog post and read it inbetween DD rounds. Engineer stuff sounds amazing, Pyro stuff sounds cool, but all that he got except the flamethrower needs to be tested before I say they are amazing too.
Problem with heavy isn't just that he's too strong. It's that his strength isn't scaled to player skill. Even a bad heavy (like me) can do well as heavy. I'd argue that Demoman is stronger than Heavy, but it takes a good amount of skill to get to that level. I consider myself an awful heavy, yet when I do play Heavy I generally go 3:1 or better and I usually play with a sub-optimal loadout (shotgun instead of sandvich, GRU that I never actually bother to take out, etc.).

Also, we've had this conversation at least seventy-four times at this point. So I won't bother to reply after this, except with nonsense.
I knew you were going to respond to this, and my only reply was in the original message. You're always going to have a class that's easier for new players to pick up, and compared to the other classes have it's ease of use for even medium level players be a bit out of whack, but I'm glad that it's Heavy and not any other class, even with the degree of effort:balance he has right now.

Yeef

Saw the blog post and read it inbetween DD rounds. Engineer stuff sounds amazing, Pyro stuff sounds cool, but all that he got except the flamethrower needs to be tested before I say they are amazing too.

I knew you were going to respond to this, and my only reply was in the original message. You're always going to have a class that's easier for new players to pick up, and compared to the other classes have it's ease of use for even medium level players be a bit out of whack, but I'm glad that it's Heavy and not any other class, even with the degree of effort:balance he has right now.
Everybody, rrr rah rr frrrr...

Saw like 3 or 4 hat drops tonight in the server :eek:

Sticky jumper and caber is seriously the most fun you can have in this game haha

I just wish demo had some sort 'o mantreads to go into the grenade slot, then I'd be landing on people's heads (or at least trying to)!

Proven

Ok, more time to post

Pomson: It's use depends mostly on whether or not it does damage. Right now, I believe it does, because we've had other weapons that have said "On-hit" but you have to explicitly say you do less damage, especially since it's a shotgun and not some new weapon type.

Anyway, the main thing for me is the fact that it pierces. The laser pistol that the Soldier got became one of my favorite weapons to use when I wasn't carrying a banner just because of that. The fact that it's a primary means that it'll be easier to use the (I'm guessing) slow projectile speed in a fight. The fact that you can interrupt ubers right before they reach your gun is just icing on the cake.

Eureka Effect: People have pretty much gone over everything here. Getting spammed down and it's only a matter of time before that crit sticky gets detted? Eureka Effect! Spy got your teles? Eureka Effect! Teammates need help at spawn? Eureka Effect! Seriously, this is the first weapon that gives you a major advantage if you focus on a building that isn't the Sentry. In this case, it's the Teleporter. No matter where you are the map, you can plop down a Teleporter, teleport away, and then be back within 10 seconds with 200 metal. Not only is it a great team weapon, but it's going to bring back waves of sneaking teleporters behind enemy lines. I'm hoping they eventually come up with something that works as well with Dispensers besides the Deus Ex weapons.

Third Degree: This weapon is potentially powerful, and it's sad that it's an anti-Medic weapon only. Basically, if you get a crit swing with it while aiming at the Medic's patient, you'll crit the Medic as well. Otherwise, it's not that good unless the Phlogistnator provides it's crit boost to all of your weapons, kind of like the Soda Popper. I wish it did more damage than the average melee weapon. Thank you Yeef for making me realize how well this combos with the Detonator as well.

Phlogistnator: If you don't think this is awesome then either you don't play Pyro or you only play defensive Pyro and never switch from the Axetinguisher/Mailbox or Homewrecker.

Manmelter: It looks like a Flaregun, but because the weapon type is "Particle Smasher" It probably fires like the laser pistol, continuing Valve's outreach program of giving Soldier type weapons to the Pyro. If you can't extinguish teammates with right click while using it you run the risk of wasting crits to extinguish multiple teammates (unless you're carrying one of the other flamethrowers), and then that means you'll primarily use it as an anti-Pyro weapon during team fights. Since it doesn't pierce or set things on fire like all the other particle weapons, it's sadly the weakest new weapon out of the bunch. Unless, of course, it reloads freakishly fast or has a clip of at least 8 shots. Then I can say it's better than the Third Degree.

I really wish it did something to enemies that were already on fire, but I guess in their minds that since the Flaregun sets enemies on fire, let's give Pyro a water pistol that extinguishes friendlies on fire. But water isn't very fun, so let's use lasers.

In the end, these weapons solidify that he's an odd flanker and a great support, and not much else. And while I'm glad that they're giving us new toys while being mindful so that we can mix and match them with our original stuff, I am not happy that they're making more sets that aren't very synergistic with themselves. More like the Demo's 1,001 set and less like the Heavy's Made Men please.

not feeling no airblasts at all...seems like a big team hit for a few extra damage points, then add in even less protection against Soldiers and demos.....really going to have to try this but in writing im not feeling it.with the mangle thing maybe.....guess ill find out soon enough as ill have to get these asap so I can continue forward with my pyro collection (that gen maul will elude me for a long time I suspect :( )

I'm gone till after Christmas. Too bad I'm going to miss the double drop and new items. Hold down the fort for me Steve Winwood. Teach them some higher love.

Yeef

not feeling no airblasts at all...seems like a big team hit for a few extra damage points, then add in even less protection against Soldiers and demos.....really going to have to try this but in writing im not feeling it.with the mangle thing maybe.....guess ill find out soon enough as ill have to get these asap so I can continue forward with my pyro collection (that gen maul will elude me for a long time I suspect :( )
It all depends on how fast it charges. Remember, it fully heals you when you activate it. If it charges quickly enough I could see it easily decimating a big group if you time it correctly.

Back in my day we didn't even have airblasts!

I'm gone till after Christmas. Too bad I'm going to miss the double drop and new items. Hold down the fort for me Steve Winwood. Teach them some higher love.

I'll try to roll with it.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh good, a flamethrower with no air blast. Yay useless Pyros
I suppose the idea is that pyros should be useful for something other than pushing enemies away. If you can get higher damage out of it than normal, and use the new gun to still extinguish enemies, you only lose the pushback ability and can still help enemies who are on fire.

I don't know if I can give up airblasts. Let's me juggle an ubered medic. Let's me go head to head with soldier and demoman if I want to. Also, losing the degreaser's weapon swap buff would be hard on me too. New flamethrower would regulate pyro back to flanking and staying out of sight till the last second.

The new ax on the other hand I could see me using. That with the degreaser would be sweet, especially when it crits. Only thing I'm interested in.

New pistol might be interesting too. But it's depended on teammates being on fire. If I have the degreaser, then I'll use that and it helps multiple allies. Flare gun's crit is also guaranteed more since I can put people on fire myself. Need to know how many rounds the new pistol has and how many crits one can save up.

Yeef

I suppose the idea is that pyros should be useful for something other than pushing enemies away. If you can get higher damage out of it than normal, and use the new gun to still extinguish enemies, you only lose the pushback ability and can still help enemies who are on fire.
Pyro is such a troll!

Airblasts are very useful, not just for pushing enemies away. Reflecting projectiles is generally more useful that air blasting people unless it's an uber and/or you're pushing them into a hazard. Reflecting jarate back onto an over-confident bushwacka sniper is the best.

[EDIT]
Need to know how many rounds the new pistol has and how many crits one can save up.
Probably 35, just like the frontier justice and diamondback.

Blizzard

Banned
Pyro is such a troll!

Airblasts are very useful, not just for pushing enemies away. Reflecting projectiles is generally more useful that air blasting people unless it's an uber and/or you're pushing them into a hazard. Reflecting jarate back onto an over-confident bushwacka sniper is the best.

[EDIT]
Probably 35, just like the frontier justice and diamondback.
Oh I meant help teammates who are on fire. :( I can't time reflects in the best of situations, and on the ultra janky server it's presumably impossible to time them so that's not as big of a deal. It's not like anyone is going to get hit by a critrocket with crits turned off, unless someone went kritzkrieg.

Yeef

Oh I meant help teammates who are on fire. :(
I am aware!

I just had an interesting though though. Two actually.

The first, dispensers (including the cart) actually put out healing beams. I wonder if the Third Degree will hit everyone on the dispenser if you just strike one person. That could potentially be extremely awesome.

Thought number two: A long time ago in the closed beta they were testing a medigun that could heal two people at once. I wonder if they've rejiggered it and plan on releasing it as part of this update.

[EDIT] Upon further inspection, I think i've confused the Overhealer with a weapon suggestion on the beta forum that just used the overhealer graphic...

Oh I meant help teammates who are on fire. :( I can't time reflects in the best of situations, and on the ultra janky server it's presumably impossible to time them so that's not as big of a deal. It's not like anyone is going to get hit by a critrocket with crits turned off, unless someone went kritzkrieg.

You'll never know the satisfaction one can get of shoving a rocket in either Joe Carter or Fallengorn's face. I'm always happy if I can pull it off once. Sea Lion has started to switch to shotgun when he sees me. Jerk.

Maffis

Not gonna use the new flamethrower. Sounds horribly bad with no airblast. Instead I'm gonna stick with the Degreaser, but definitely use the Manmelter. Infinite crits for doing your job as an extinguisher sounds fun.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't get why people love the Degreaser so much. It does less damage on after-burn and its only pro is faster weapon switch...

I guess if you have the Axting---OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I just got it...

Sianos

A cow mangler soldier and manmelter could team up in setup to get infinite crits from extinguishing. I like how this'll encourage pub pyros to actually extinguish.

New flamethrower seems neat, almost like a Pyro buff banner. The axe could be neat if used with the degreaser, but not that great otherwise. Need those airblasts to melee.

Very happy to see them giving weapons to classes that need them, even if one is Engineer.

Pyro's cheap.

That is all.

pyro_meme9hpq4.jpg

Demo and Soldier have the highest skill ceiling...

Pyro has a high skill floor, but Spy's is higher.

the class with the highest skill ceiling is up for debate, but I agree that Demo and soldier are up there, I just wanted an excuse to post a picture from this new meme before it overstays its welcome

Yeef

Nope no debate!

Unless the debate is between Soldier and Demo.

Just so we're clear on terms:

Skill Floor - Minimum amount of skill required to do well with a class.
Skill Ceiling - Amount of skill required to reach a class's full potential.

Nope no debate!

My god that third rocket jump as the soldier. At first I was like " why did he shot there ? And how did he bounce like this vertically ? " then I saw the third person cam. Mind blown.

windz

Planning to be on tonight! Really looking forward to some TF2 after a month+ off. This update looks pretty promising. Plus the double drops doesn't hurt 8).

Nope no debate!

yeah pretty much

ha! I knew you would put videos of TLR to back up your argument! to be honest, he was born with a rocket launcher; with time he also developed a spy-like attitude and started betraying his team mates and robbing them, but I digress....

So were the item servers shitting themselves last night? For all this talk about "double drop rates," my main only got 12 items and my first alt only got 6 (although it did get a hat, so that's cool).

Wait, what?

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1085022

from that thread:
His team won a tournament, but he believed he carried his team, so he deserved the trophy. So he stole it, hid it in his car, drove his car somewhere else, and then locked himself in his room. Apparently he gave the trophy up when his team threatened to call the cops.

you suckas still playing this?

you need to get on some battlefield 3 64player metro action, its the new goldrush :D

cat_bailingjtqgz.gif

Pyro does have a high class ceiling (not with backburner though). Certainly not the highest but a great Pyro player is nothing to sneeze at.

How else do you explain me topping the scoreboard when I play? I'm not W+M1 at all...

/teamPyrodefense

Blizzard

Banned
Pyro does have a high class ceiling (not with backburner though). Certainly not the highest but a great Pyro player is nothing to sneeze at.

How else do you explain me topping the scoreboard when I play? I'm not W+M1 at all...

/teamPyrodefense
It's hard to rocket jump effectively with pyro and reflect projectiles more than 150% of the time. I feel like being an airblast expert takes long years of hard work, sacrifice, and mountaintop study.

However, actually managing to rocket jump and land on someone with the mantreads may be the most difficult thing for me to do. People have this habit of constantly running around when I try it in Pacman, or if they see me jumping they just back up and shoot me before I land instead of letting me land on their heads.

Now imagine trying to rocket jump, land on someone's head, and hit them in the head with the headshovel before you touch the ground! Crazy Valve.

lmao at valve releasing multiple anti-medic weapons on one update, the same update they release their first real 5cp map in years, the same update that they release a pyro weapon that encourages extinguishing teammates, and then also a flamethrower that can't extinguish

just lmao

Forkball

WE SO EXCITED

Foundry must be pretty diverse and intricate if it warrants 12 achievements. With double drop rate I wonder if that means we will get a lot of new weapons instead of just reskins. Also I wonder if we will get more sets besides the two.

OH THE MYSTERY

Nope no debate!

impressive videos. certainly inspires me to better learn how to sticky jump and how to do more than one jump with the Soldier with consistency. 2 things I never really bothered with learning.

OH SHIT IT'S DOUBLE DROP TIMEEEEEEE!

MY ARMY OF 10 ACCOUNTS ARE READY... WITH THEIR BODIES!

Double drop? Does that mean the same maximum number of items you can have is the same but the items fall twice as fast? Or that the maximum number of items you can have has doubled? Or both?

WE SO EXCITED

Foundry must be pretty diverse and intricate if it warrants 12 achievements. With double drop rate I wonder if that means we will get a lot of new weapons instead of just reskins. Also I wonder if we will get more sets besides the two.

OH THE MYSTERY

yea, sounds like fun to me. they must really like this map.

I don't get why people love the Degreaser so much. It does less damage on after-burn and its only pro is faster weapon switch...

I guess if you have the Axting---OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I just got it...

Also that shotgun that does (mini?)crits in air. Uhh. Forget the name.

Top Bottom