• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Forkball

Good games tonight.

E051FD2E10E88ED961E3F934FC4530D59B3C9B7E

33A7D91F3C005F00691AFAA1DD1E95AAD4E33888

86FD449FA23E14B401C96735422534FF935FF765

820004CBD9FCDCCEC29455F2658A26A8EC22F475

Sianos

The main reason some people like payload and I despise it is because it is a simple one dimensional game type. Blue just spams down a hallway trying to reach it by the end of the timer while Red spams back trying to stop blue. Those tactics never change. You do the same thing every time. Most payload maps are designed with this philosophy in mind: simple corridors with a couple of different vantage points to spam from.

5cp on the other hand requires constant strategy. No longer does one team attack and one defend: now both teams do both tactics. You get stalemates because people still try to use the payload strategy of "uncoordinatedly throw spam at them until they're pushed back", which doesn't work as well when both teams are doing it. Both teams just cancel each other out and get stuck until one finally overpowers the other. To be successful at 5cp you need to analyze the situation and time your moves. Should we weather this push, maybe pop uber, and then push ourselves while they regroup? Should we attack as one push, or divide and conquer?What's our medic's uber at, what's their medic's uber at? A lot of thought goes into every move, and it does take some practice to get used to. But once you understand how the mode works and what you should be doing when every match becomes varied and every moment is tense and exciting.

There's a reason Valve has 5cp listed as an "advanced mode": it takes some thought.

Boney

Banned
The main reason some people like payload and I despise it is because it is a simple one dimensional game type. Blue just spams down a hallway trying to reach it by the end of the timer while Red spams back trying to stop blue. Those tactics never change. You do the same thing every time. Most payload maps are designed with this philosophy in mind: simple corridors with a couple of different vantage points to spam from.

5cp on the other hand requires constant strategy. No longer does one team attack and one defend: now both teams do both tactics. You get stalemates because people still try to use the payload strategy of "uncoordinatedly throw spam at them until they're pushed back", which doesn't work as well when both teams are doing it. Both teams just cancel each other out and get stuck until one finally overpowers the other. To be successful at 5cp you need to analyze the situation and time your moves. Should we weather this push, maybe pop uber, and then push ourselves while they regroup? Should we attack as one push, or divide and conquer?What's our medic's uber at, what's their medic's uber at? A lot of thought goes into every move, and it does take some practice to get used to. But once you understand how the mode works and what you should be doing when every match becomes varied and every moment is tense and exciting.

There's a reason Valve has 5cp listed as an "advanced mode": it takes some thought.
oh shut up

I will enlighten you whether you want it or not!

Seriously, the best way to understand 5cp is to play 5cp. It take a bit, but it's fun once you understand.

a lot of that same strategy can go into Payload as well. Suppression strategies, spy infiltration (and sniper neutralization), engie sentry/dispencer/teleporter planning, scout recon, etc. Instead, most games devolve into spamming and matches are won or lost based on someone getting on a roll or everyone looking at the clock and realizing that something needs to be accomplished asap. There is little coordination in casual games for a number of reasons, and tbh casual PC gaming has always been this way. GAFers talk more than most and even we do VERY little in terms of creating or executing plans.

Enhanced strategy in our casual games could be fun, but people would have to be committed to communicating AND we'd have to suspend all-talk, which I doubt people would be willing to do. It's no fun calling out "Spy Pyro!" when the spy pyro can hear you.

But no, nothing you mentioned is exclusive to 5cp.

Yeef

This has less to do with payload as a mode and more to do with map design. Dustbowl has the same problem, but like 9 times as bad. The issue is that a lot of payload maps are fashioned after dustbowl (which is the worst map in the game). Payload maps like Thunder Mountain and Upward don't have that problem nearly as much.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Started to play again. The love is coming back.

Pyro is still my favorite class, I just adore the airblast way too much not to have it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Prepare yourselves for another Gifts Giveaway from me tonight.

EDIT: Or maybe tomorrow, figures most of GAF will be doing something for the New Year's Eve.

Right?

KarmaCow

So has there been any word about if they're going to give a key to each person to open a holiday crate? I'm guessing TF2 going f2p and people having a ton of alts has kinda ruined that.

Proven

While I like 5cp, the fact that it's a push/pull gametype is what often makes it harder to play on servers where the average team doesn't build five level 3 sentries. KotH is also a push/pull gametype, and works mostly because it makes it plumb fucking easy for both sides to figure out when they should push and when they should defend, and if they fuck that up the point still goes back and forth and and there's no chance for stalemates.

Above that are the parallel gametypes, which take even more coordination to be played right as you have to have constant offense and defense at the same time, and both have to be very decent to beat the other team's offensive and defensive lineups. Outside of map design, this is the primary reason why CTF and PLR are two of the least liked game modes; just getting people to understand the underlying mechanics of 5cp is hard enough as it is.

The only mode I really dislike is Arena and TC. Both need some mechanics changed (and in the case of TC, new maps) in order to avoid just devolving into pure deathmatch or stalemates all the time.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to have a TC map where you have one big round... All four points would be open all at once. Each one captured by a team would give that team advantages that they can lose if it was lost to the other team. Something like a back and forth Steel.

Prepare yourselves for another Gifts Giveaway from me tonight.

EDIT: Or maybe tomorrow, figures most of GAF will be doing something for the New Year's Eve.

Right?

Yes! Wait until tomorrow when I might be on!

Yeef

I was doing very well as sniper tonight. I don't know what that was about.

Alternately, I wish I had teammates that would pay attention more and understood how their classes work. I got dominated by Tenck on Gold Rush because our three pyros weren't spy checking. Worse still, I was standing in front of a friendly pyro, on fire, calling for help about 6 times and he just let me burn to death ;(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, that Santa hat, how much is it actually worth? I'll likely hang onto it for a while, and if the value goes up, offload it (Or keep it if it becomes craftable)

So, that Santa hat, how much is it actually worth? I'll likely hang onto it for a while, and if the value goes up, offload it (Or keep it if it becomes craftable)

it's down to 5-6 keys (~$10). if you had sold it 3 or 4 days ago, you could have gotten an Unusual for it. or a number of buds. people thought it would be the next HOUWAR. nope.avi. It may stay at that price. It may drop further. who knows.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If they don't drop after the event is over, they should be more rare then the Ear Buds. Then again, the community doesn't seem to care how rare something actually is half the time.

I don't disagree in concept, but Buds aren't that rare. They're just popular and they decided to use them as currency. There are lots of items that are more rare than buds, but are worth significantly less.

Tenck

I was doing very well as sniper tonight. I don't know what that was about.

Alternately, I wish I had teammates that would pay attention more and understood how their classes work. I got dominated by Tenck on Gold Rush because our three pyros weren't spy checking. Worse still, I was standing in front of a friendly pyro, on fire, calling for help about 6 times and he just let me burn to death ;(

Good times Yeef. We should get together again and do this more often.

Artist also got a nice screenshot of me on Gold Rush after I backstabbed him.

527246739662CCA8A2CF6AC1D643D1A24FEEA921

Yeef

Another round of coal crafting...

Before:

62aMt.png

After:

nzSxm.png

When I use all of those coupons, Valve is going to owe me SO much money!

Forkball

They also get hoarded, which artificially increases their rarity.

I had this idea where if if I could blow several thousand dollars, I would secretly buy all the Max's Heads in the game. Then I would delete all but one, and reveal it to everyone. People would go insane. Hell, I might delete all of them just to see what Valve would do. Would they really let someone delete every single one even if they were obtained legitimately through trading? A huge hypothetical, but it would definitely be an amusing situation.

Top Bottom