• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

best idea i've ever read: if a team with three or more heavies wins it shouldn't show you the scoreboard but a still image of the tf2 logo with a "good job, now play on normal difficulty!" message like an old arcade game

XeroSauce

What if the demoman had a sticky bomb launcher that did more damage based on how many players were around the stickies, but less damage overall then the sticky launcher?

Alienups

That is how I feel every time I try to get a minigun to hit scouts, they move so fast. Especially when the server is janky or when people clip through your gun. #banscouts

They don't bother me that much unless they go vertical and start double jumping over my head.

Bluth54

best idea i've ever read: if a team with three or more heavies wins it shouldn't show you the scoreboard but a still image of the tf2 logo with a "good job, now play on normal difficulty!" message like an old arcade game

Anyone else remember this truly magical moment from the gaf server a couple of months ago?

AFAABE5D63DA56AC2902CFAA6F50C1849A06B3DE

We dominated the first two stages but Blu team got it together and beat us on the last stage.

Proven

Am I the only one left that still hasn't felt that a bunch of Heavies on the other team is an unbeatable force without a bunch of Heavies?

XeroSauce

Am I the only one left that still hasn't felt that a bunch of Heavies on the other team is an unbeatable force without a bunch of Heavies?

A Medic, Demomen, and Snipers are your best bet. Heavies thrown in for good measure, to act as damage sponges.

Proven

Just went on a server and didn't have much problem with two or three Heavies on the defense. It may also be because we had three spies that, while they lost us the game, gave the Heavies nightmares.

Blizzard

Banned
It depends on the map. I've seen literally 7-9 heavies lose on a payload map because of choke points near the end (hoodoo). Mass demomans do tons of damage.

Sianos

That last round on Thunder Mountain was crazy intense. Though it was over when Whoreleo was stabbed. Good rounds tonight.

And that was a beautiful stairstab. Just listened, jumped, and prayed.

Tenck

That last round on Thunder Mountain was crazy intense. Though it was over when Whoreleo was stabbed. Good rounds tonight.

And that was a beautiful stairstab. Just listened, jumped, and prayed.

Awwww yeah, coming over to the good side I see.

Oreoleo

No, you aren't the only one. People who complain about heavies are just whiny fucking babies. It gets very tiresome.

Hah, same. I couldn't see the cart because of kill cam but that was a dreadful couple seconds before we actually won. Best part for me was the enemy pyro who chump blocked me from the cart by taunting right in my face at the end. No one was on the cart and I had like 2 seconds to get there. Don't even know who it was cause everything was so hectic. I was sweating it pretty good.

That round was also proof that payload isn't inherently awful.

No, you aren't the only one. People who complain about heavies are just whiny fucking babies. It gets very tiresome.
The thing that annoys me about heavies is that it forces you to play a class you might not want to play in order to win matches. I have to switch to sniper so much because of heavy medics.

Same thing goes for engineers.

Blizzard

Banned
The thing that annoys me about heavies is that it forces you to play a class you might not want to play in order to win matches. I have to switch to sniper so much because of heavy medics.

This is partly how the game works though, when there isn't a class limit of say, one per class. 5 people on your team might want to play sniper, and often they DO play sniper, but the chances of that team winning are probably not very good, even if the other team is all balanced. :p

Yeef

That's just the nature of the game. Classes counter each other and you need to balance the class layout on your team vs. their team.

The problem with heavy (or one of several problems) is that it takes a disproportionate amount of skill to kill a heavy than it does any other class no matter which class you're playing. On top of that, as a heavy, it's ridiculously easy to score kills since you don't have to worry much about ammo management or proximity to health pickups much. Usually it's not a huge deal in most modes, but in any payload mode it's magnified to the point that it becomes incredibly apparent.

That said, even though i do think the core class has some issues, the biggest problems with Heavy are the unlocks. Tomislav, Sandviches and GRU especially.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Sandvich could be fixed by not allowing you to pick up your own dropped Sandvich. The GRU are trickier, but I think a speed nerf while keeping the drain would help a lot.

Oreoleo

I'm not sure I really agree with this (With the caveat that on tunnel-vision maps like Dustbowl and Goldrush it can get out of hand very easily). Out of the 9 classes, there's really only 2 or 3 that are at a serious disadvantage against heavy (medic, pyro, scout) and even then if pyro and scout play to their advantages it is not impossible to take one down (or at least killing the medic and then getting the hell out of there). If I'm caught off guard a pyro can EASILY take me out with a quick flame+axetinguisher combo and at one point tonight I was (shamefully) being dominated by a scout. Nothing is impossible. It's more about just playing smart and not trying to attack by yourself. Know when to retreat, push up with team mates, and play to your class's advantages. If I get big headed and find myself in the vicinity of 3 enemies I'm done for, 90% of the time, without getting a kill. You have to lean on your team mates a little, and yeah it sucks when they are dicking around and not playing to the best of their ability. But it is TEAM Fortress 2.. it's literally the name of the game.

That said, even though i do think the core class has some issues, the biggest problems with Heavy are the unlocks. Tomislav, Sandviches and GRU especially.

This I can agree with. As much as I love Sandvich and GRU they basically negate heavies shortcomings almost entirely. GRU could probably use a slight nerf to 8 or 10 dmg per second instead of its current 6. Tomislav just makes me angry all around. Get rid of the faster spinup entirely. If the sandvich were to get a nerf, and I don't particularly think it needs one, it should just be to lower the amount of health it recovers when thrown by about 15-25%.

This is partly how the game works though, when there isn't a class limit of say, one per class. 5 people on your team might want to play sniper, and often they DO play sniper, but the chances of that team winning are probably not very good, even if the other team is all balanced. :p
Yes, I understand basic game concepts. Doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by it because teammates aren't doing their jobs well. :)

That's just the nature of the game. Classes counter each other and you need to balance the class layout on your team vs. their team.

The problem with heavy (or one of several problems) is that it takes a disproportionate amount of skill to kill a heavy than it does any other class no matter which class you're playing. On top of that, as a heavy, it's ridiculously easy to score kills since you don't have to worry much about ammo management or proximity to health pickups much. Usually it's not a huge deal in most modes, but in any payload mode it's magnified to the point that it becomes incredibly apparent.

I think this is a problem with Heavy. I've never had any interest in playing Heavy, and yesterday I did this. I have under a hour playtime with Heavy.

pl_hoodoo_final0001.jpg

And I'm no expert at this game. Hell, I got into it when it came F2P. I just got scrambled to the other team, which is why the scores are so messed up.

EDIT. At the end of the day it all boils down to the skill levels in the server though.

rezuth

Just backstabbed Notch on RocketBlast, he has been online giving out gifts constantly for an hour almost

Edit: Hah, I airstabbed him and he disconnected.

Just backstabbed Notch on RocketBlast, he has been online giving out gifts constantly for an hour almost

Edit: Hah, I airstabbed him and he disconnected.

when Notch plays, everyone goes spy so they can pretend they are wearing the "top notch", is not Tf2 anymore, it's "spies vs Notch" :D

edit: what's notch's steam id? I'd like to check his inventory, if it's not private that is.

As an Engineer player. Short Circuit needs some buffs, it is pretty useless otherwise, apart from protecting to half-assed demo spam.

It would be a lot better with faster weapon switch, and lower metal requirements. It would say 25 metal is good, 35 is too much for what it does. Widowmaker uses 30 metal, and it is amazing if you know how to aim.

Top Bottom