• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Been so busy with school and clinicals the past few days I haven't been able to play. I hopped on a Valve server last night and dominated, and I realized something. The amount of anger and frustration I feel towards TF2 is directly related to the amount of time I spend getting owned by TF2 GAF. <3

Reserved slots that kick other players are stupid.

That's why I blacklisted No Heroes. I would get into a pretty good Engineer groove then BAM kicked for one of their lackies.

The way donors and slot reservations should work is they should be put on top of the waiting list when a server is full; the next time someone leaves the server, they would go in first. Never kicking existing players.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That's why I blacklisted No Heroes. I would get into a pretty good Engineer groove then BAM kicked for one of their lackies.

The way donors and slot reservations should work is they should be put on top of the waiting list when a server is full; the next time someone leaves the server, they would go in first. Never kicking existing players.

No Heroes is completely different. They always have one spot open and then kick you if you're not a donater.

If you donate, you should get a spot, though if it's 'full' full then even donaters and members have to wait.

Have you donated? When I donate, I don't want to be waiting for someone to leave. Not paying for a goddamn wait list. I have a feeling if there was a wait list you guys would still bitch about it, "oh, there shouldn't be a wait list for people who donated. it's like paying extra to get in the express line at amusement parks.

Proven

I need to pop into NeoGAF more often, even if I'm just going to skim and not feel like posting. The unread post links seem to only go as far as a day ago now anyway.

So apparently I was using an old version of server cron, which was why No Crit Nights and quickplay weren't working properly. Both should be fixed now.
I wanted to complain about this earlier in the week but kept forgetting to bring it up. So now actual quickplay. Heh.

Anyone want an invite to the super monday night combat beta?
I have two and maybe one other from a friend who doesn't know what to do with it. Maybe a Super Monday Night Combat thread is in order?

For me at least, there's always 500+ servers I could connect to at any given time, so it's kind of pointless to complain about a specific server.

Out of those 500 though, there's certain maps that just are never played, which makes me sad.

Yeef

No Heroes is completely different. They always have one spot open and then kick you if you're not a donater.

If you donate, you should get a spot, though if it's 'full' full then even donaters and members have to wait.

Have you donated? When I donate, I don't want to be waiting for someone to leave. Not paying for a goddamn wait list. I have a feeling if there was a wait list you guys would still bitch about it, "oh, there shouldn't be a wait list for people who donated. It's like paying extra to get in the express line at amusement parks.
If there's really that much of a demand for spots, I'd set up a second server. And a third. And a forth and on.

It's also a way of saying "Hey, you new people, you don't add anything to our community on your own merits, it's only your money we care about."

Donations shouldn't be about kickbacks.

People are paying for a service. It's not altruism.

Call it "premium" or whatever.
Bacon is great!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If there's really that much of a demand for spots, I'd set up a second server. And a third. And a forth and on.

It's also a way of saying "Hey, you new people, you don't add anything to our community on your own merits, it's only your money we care about."

Bacon is great!

Even F7 had 2 servers and for whatever reason, the other one never filled up. People just associated the community with that one server. GG also had a second server for a little while, but again, nobody seemed to join it.

I view it more as, you like the server and the people on it and you want to keep us going. I'm glad there are people like you willing to front the cost for a server every month, but not a lot of other people are willing to. If it was ONLY about money, they could've just said donate or fuck off.

Bacon, that's just silly semantics. Would you guys be bitching about this so much if it was called "GIVE MONEY AND YOU GET A RESERVED SLOT". Please.

Have you donated? When I donate, I don't want to be waiting for someone to leave. Not paying for a goddamn wait list. I have a feeling if there was a wait list you guys would still bitch about it, "oh, there shouldn't be a wait list for people who donated. it's like paying extra to get in the express line at amusement parks.

What's the point of publicly listing a server if you're just going to kick non-donors? It won't win me over and give them a buck, that's for sure.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol

was wondering where Toggles was.

At the end of the day, nobody is forcing you to join a particular server. People have to pay for those costs and at least GG is upfront about it and not like the first GAF server incident.

Again, I'm glad Yeef is fronting the costs, but give me a list of other servers that are quality (decent ping, decent player counts, decent competition) cause if there were enough of them, either A, you can stop your bitching and join them or B, that many of them would mean the ones that use donations or kickbacks or whatever you want to call them would cease to exist.

I can't think of many others, besides GAF and Valve, where I have not been kicked for a reserved slot.

Deal with it.

edit: Grimm, so don't. I'm not the one up in arms about donating or not. I'm just telling you guys why they do it. If you don't agree, I'm not sure what else you want from me. Not like I run the server. GG is like a TON of other servers out there, and as far as I'm concerned, we're all spoiled by Yeef.

commissar

Bacon, that's just silly semantics. Would you guys be bitching about this so much if it was called "GIVE MONEY AND YOU GET A RESERVED SLOT". Please.
Well no I wouldn't care if it was called that.

Cause they paid for it.

Donation however is an act of giving.

People laying claim to selflessness with an obvious kickback (which negatively affects others!) is pretty rude, and undermines the meaning of donation.

Edit: I guess what I mean is that it's a negative perception due to wording (semantics) instead of being a thing that happens sometimes which is irritating. It's more honest :D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well no I wouldn't care if it was called that.

Cause they paid for it.

Donation however is an act of giving.

People laying claim to selflessness with an obvious kickback (which negatively affects others!) is pretty rude, and undermines the meaning of donation.

Edit: I guess what I mean is that it's a negative perception due to wording (semantics) instead of being a thing that happens sometimes which is irritating. It's more honest :D
Nit picky semantics. Go start a crusade about the other non valve servers out there then and tell them that using the word donate is wrong.
Or
Give a way to support the server costs.

Spoiled by Yeef's free honey, all of you!

I'm waiting on that list of servers.

Forkball

Good non-GAF servers.

Critsandvich Network
Chocolate Hammer
Ducksoup
Lion's Den
Reddit (though mostly no crit)

A bunch of others I'm forgetting. They're out there if you know where to look.

Yeef

Nit picky semantics. Go start a crusade about the other non valve servers out there then and tell them that using the word donate is wrong.
Or

They should call them indulgences. :D

commissar

Or

Local servers are supported by the following:
donations! Freely given for hosting costs!
ISPs! Orcon, Telstraclear, etc. They provide steam mirroring too for extra value. Some of them have interleaving off by default. Gamers pay for faster (and more expensive) internet, so why not advertise via servers.
fansites! propped up by donations and advertising (or admins wallets), with a bit of sponsorship for events here and there too.
hire!Bunch of servers can also be temporarily rented by the hour for scrims and comp matches. Which helps offset day to day running.
There used to be the odd icafe server but haven't seen any for a while.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Local servers are supported by the following:
donations! Freely given for hosting costs!
ISPs! Orcon, Telstraclear, etc. They provide steam mirroring too for extra value. Some of them have interleaving off by default. Gamers pay for faster (and more expensive) internet, so why not advertise via servers.
fansites! propped up by donations and advertising (or admins wallets), with a bit of sponsorship for events here and there too.
hire!Bunch of servers can also be temporarily rented by the hour for scrims and comp matches. Which helps offset day to day running.
There used to be the odd icafe server but haven't seen any for a while.

There are a plethora of reasons why all those won't work. I'm too tired to argue with you about this. So I will state that if you don't like it then don't go on the server. None of you are being forced to join, so find another server or wait for GAF to start up. 

commissar

There are a plethora of reasons why all those won't work. I'm too tired to argue with you about this. So I will state that if you don't like it then don't go on the server. None of you are being forced to join, so find another server or wait for GAF to start up. 
You seemed to have missed the part where I said these are the business models for our local servers :V

They have worked, and do work.

I do avoid servers with reserved slots cause I think they're lame.

I'm arguing the reservation point, not whether GG is a good server or not. I don't think I've ever played there. That's other peoples arguments :)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You seemed to have missed the part where I said these are the business models for our local servers :V

I'm arguing the reservation point, not whether GG is a good server or not. I don't think I've ever played there. That's other peoples arguments :)

I will pass it along, but I don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be. If it was, there would be a lot more of these servers out there.

(protip: it's not)

Forkball

Caberman = Best class.

DAF7DFE8B24EE5AE193B470EF6D5304A057B0131

90280AFF302ADF9EBAB7B7DDF763BE41189DEF0C

Yeef

The map jankiness should be fixed now. I disabled the plugin that picks a random map at the end of the round. Normally it's only supposed to activate when there hasn't been a vote yet, but it's been acting wonky, so I just got rid of it all together.

Yeef

Jumped from server to server trying to get a foundry achievement so i could get the hat. I ended up on some really bad pony server. People were spamming awful music and literally about 80% of the players would stop every 5 seconds to type chat. I guess they don't have the self-esteem to use mics.

Also ended up on some Valve server with a speed/crit hacker. Running around as medic with the bonesaw. I still managed to kill him a bunch of times and even got the achievement for capping the last point in 5 seconds, getting me my hat. :]

Top Bottom