• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Clydefrog

tf2 in the 4th dimension

2A23634498C8771A78A364D7DC8CE8652224CAE4

Yeef

Yup. You're the only one, since I posted it in this very thread when it happened (and everyone reads all of my posts, right?)

In that video, though, he's using the gas jockey set. The extra speed gives the jumps a lot more extra distance than I would have thought. I'll have to try it out.

Someone did that on Hightower the other day. I thought it was some weird reaction to him jumping and using a splash from my rocket but I'm not sure anymore. The replay doesn't work ._., I'll take a look at the demo maybe.

I'm a bad sniper :( I had one decent night a couple of days ago though. I used to be much better.

edit- Also, I love Foundry

Someone did that on Hightower the other day. I thought it was some weird reaction to him jumping and using a splash from my rocket but I'm not sure anymore. The replay doesn't work ._., I'll take a look at the demo maybe.

I'm a bad sniper :( I had one decent night a couple of days ago though. I used to be much better.

edit- Also, I love Foundry

Sniper is the class most affected by ping and other bs. Pyro after him. Sometimes I can't land anything since shots don't get registered, or it is recognized as bodyshot instead.

Yeef

Sniper is the class most affected by ping and other bs. Pyro after him. Sometimes I can't land anything since shots don't get registered, or it is recognized as bodyshot instead.
This is mostly wrong. Hitscan weapons are lag compensated and aren't affected by ping. Projectiles aren't compensated thereby making them heavily reliant upon your latency. Since all of the sniper's weapons but jarate and the huntsman are hitscan, he's not really affected too harshly by ping.

Bacon has like 300 ping and snipes fine. The hit detection in TF2 is just wonky. I've been using the machina for the last couple of days and there have been several times where I'll shoot someone in the head (and the tracers confirm it) and it either doesn't register at all or counts as a bodyshot.

This is mostly wrong. Hitscan weapons are lag compensated and aren't affected by ping. Projectiles aren't compensated thereby making them heavily reliant upon your latency. Since all of the sniper's weapons but jarate and the huntsman are hitscan, he's not really affected too harshly by ping.

Bacon has like 300 ping and snipes fine. The hit detection in TF2 is just wonky. I've been using the machina for the last couple of days and there have been several times where I'll shoot someone in the head (and the tracers confirm it) and it either doesn't register at all or counts as a bodyshot.

You're right. It is mostly the Machina that gives me problems, that's why I stick with stock rifle most of the time.

at times yesterday was pretty bad, seems alot of my shots didn't seem to hit even though I got body shots on them.

You're only half-right.

While, from the shooter's end, it may seem as if the sniper rifle is acting perfectly appropriately, from the victim's end, it's a big, ol' what-in-the-sam-hill as they run around the corner a full second before they die to someone no longer in line of sight.

Welcome to Team Fucking Fortress 2. (Or Source games in general, though TF2 is the only one I've played enough to really notice it.)

You're only half-right.

While, from the shooter's end, it may seem as if the sniper rifle is acting perfectly appropriately, from the victim's end, it's a big, ol' what-in-the-sam-hill as they run around the corner a full second before they die to someone no longer in line of sight.

Welcome to Team Fucking Fortress 2. (Or Source games in general, though TF2 is the only one I've played enough to really notice it.)

to be fair, I can't think of a single FPS I've ever played online that didn't have this problem.

Admittedly, I can't remember how well or poorly the Halo franchise handled these issues...or the early days of online multiplayer FPS with Quake Arena and Unreal Tournament '99. But to my best recollection, I don't remember having these problems back in the day. Ironic, because most people were working with dsl speeds at best. BUT...it could simply be a matter of bad memory. I am about 11 years removed from UT 99 and 6 years removed from Halo 2 (the last Halo I seriously played).

to be fair, I can't think of a single FPS I've ever played online that didn't have this problem.

Admittedly, I can't remember how well or poorly the Halo franchise handled these issues...or the early days of online multiplayer FPS with Quake Arena and Unreal Tournament '99. But to my best recollection, I don't remember having these problems back in the day. Ironic, because most people were working with dsl speeds at best. BUT...it could simply be a matter of bad memory. I am about 11 years removed from UT 99 and 6 years removed from Halo 2 (the last Halo I seriously played).

Yeah it's probably unavoidable in some sense. I've only ever played two online FPS games extensively: the original Day of Defeat and Team Fortress 2. I've messed around with many others, but never to the point where I became intimately familiar with all of the flaws, such that they were glaringly loathable, driving me away from the game on more than one occasion. Well, technically that never happened to me with Day of Defeat. I think Source has worse netcode, which probably hurt TF2 in that regard. (I know I'm not the only one who holds this opinion regarding Source.)

Yeah it's probably unavoidable in some sense. I've only ever played two online FPS games extensively: the original Day of Defeat and Team Fortress 2. I've messed around with many others, but never to the point where I became intimately familiar with all of the flaws, such that they were glaringly loathable, driving me away from the game on more than one occasion. Well, technically that never happened to me with Day of Defeat. I think Source has worse netcode, which probably hurt TF2 in that regard. (I know I'm not the only one who holds this opinion regarding Source.)

could be the case. I swear I don't remember dying after escaping around a corner in Unreal Tournament or Halo 2. BUT it happened constantly in Call of Duty (the kill cam only accentuated the aggravation because what you saw would look dramatically different from what the other guy saw), and of course in TF2. I also feel like stuff like headshots were more consistent in Halo and UT. Then again, maybe those games had larger hit boxes. Or again, maybe my memory just sucks. I just know I say "wtf" on a regular basis in TF2 when playing sniper. and I often wonder if some people are using aimbots, given their apparent inability to miss. lol, idk

Tenck

could be the case. I swear I don't remember dying after escaping around a corner in Unreal Tournament or Halo 2. BUT it happened constantly in Call of Duty (the kill cam only accentuated the aggravation because what you saw would look dramatically different from what the other guy saw), and of course in TF2. I also feel like stuff like headshots were more consistent in Halo and UT. Then again, maybe those games had larger hit boxes. Or again, maybe my memory just sucks. I just know I say "wtf" on a regular basis in TF2 when playing sniper. and I often wonder if some people are using aimbots, given their apparent inability to miss. lol, idk

Yeah this game is fairly wonky. I've played other game, and none come as close as this.

Maybe Quake Live but it still registers hits 99% more effectively than TF2. That's the only reason I am not playing Sniper too much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'd say it has a huge effect. There are times I'd swear I had a headshot on my screen and it never registers. If I go on a server where my ping is 5, I never see this happen.

And I'm not sure how Bacon does it, but fuck sniping at 300 ping. I can never tell if I hit someone because I'll fire and it won't register til a few seconds later so it's harder for me to adjust.

So I was just trying to get the Classassin achievement and was on my final class to get a kill for, Medic. How perfect was it for a Heavy to get sandman'd right in front of me! I poke him 3 times with my ubersaw... Just one swing away from victory... Then an enemy scoot runs up to me and crit FaNs me.

Then while I'm dead they cap our final point. GG.

Top Bottom