• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

DarkKyo

I am in love with the new sniper but I fear it is going to get nerfed :(

I've been doing easy 500+ crits on heavies... oh god so good.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Is there something I'm missing about damage, or are you talking about homewrecker pyros?

Once upon a time you could circle strafe level 3 sentries to kill them, but nowadays doesn't it take 2-3 seconds just to destroy a dispenser or teleporter with concentrated flamethrower fire on it? I feel like flames take FOREVER to destroy buildings.
A backburner destroys buildings pretty quickly, but even if you're running the degreaser, flames go through objects, so you'll be hitting all of the buildings and the engineer all at once.

Worst case scenario, a demo or soldier can soldier follow behind you to destroy everything since the engineer's view will be blocked by flames/his death, he won't be able to stop the projectiles.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
A backburner destroys buildings pretty quickly, but even if you're running the degreaser, flames go through objects, so you'll be hitting all of the buildings and the engineer all at once.

Worst case scenario, a demo or soldier can soldier follow behind you to destroy everything since the engineer's view will be blocked by flames/his death, he won't be able to stop the projectiles.
Flames hitting multiple buildings is a good point. My other fear with pyro would be that if anything touches the pyro to launch her in the air, especially an airblast, there's no way you can do anything to the sentry (and unlike a heavy you probably won't even be able to kill the pyro airblasting you).

Blizzard said:
Flames hitting multiple buildings is a good point. My other fear with pyro would be that if anything touches the pyro to launch her in the air, especially an airblast, there's no way you can do anything to the sentry (and unlike a heavy you probably won't even be able to kill the pyro airblasting you).

The way you said this all casually made me snicker.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
A airblasting enemy pyro defeats the point of the conversation. If the engineer has a friendly pyro airblasting for him what good is the short circuit?

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
A airblasting enemy pyro defeats the point of the conversation. If the engineer has a friendly pyro airblasting for him what good is the short circuit?
Well you started by saying there was just more reason to uber pyros, so I just mentioned a general reason why ubering pyros can be bad -- pyro doesn't have the longer range options of soldiers, demos, and to a lesser extent heavies. If you mean "send uber pyros against engineers who have the electric weapon with the hopes that they will not also have a demo, soldier, or pyro" then sure. :p

So just for kicks, here's the full list of promotional items from other games in TF2.

Scout:
Lugermorph (Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Poker Night at the Inventory)
Sun-on-a-Stick (RIFT)
Fan-O-War (Total War: Shogun 2)
Superfan (Monday Night Combat)
Essential Accessories (Monday Night Combat)
Planeswalker Goggles (Magic: The Gathering)
Hero's Tail (The Witcher 2)
Sign of the Wolf's School (The Witcher 2)
Three Rune Blade (The Witcher 2)

Soldier:
Lumbricus Lid (Worms: Reloaded 2)
Frying Pan (Left 4 Dead 2)
Hero's Hachimaki (Homefront)
Concheror (Total War: Shogun 2)
Half-Zatoichi (Total War: Shogun 2)
Brain Bucket (Plants vs. Zombies)
Spiral Sallet (Spiral Knights)
Stahlhelm (Red Orchestra 2)
Original (Quake 4)

Pyro:
Foster's Facade (Killing Floor)
Stockbroker's Scarf (Killing Floor)
Sharped Volcano Fragment (RIFT)
Dead Cone (Plants vs. Zombies)
Maul (Red Faction: Armageddon)

Demoman:
Frying Pan (Left 4 Dead 2)
Dangeresque, Too? (Poker Night at the Inventory)
Conjuror's Cowl (Magicka: Nippon)
Half-Zatoichi (Total War: Shogun 2)
Samur-Eye (Total War: Shogun 2)
Mask of the Shaman (From Dust)

Heavy:
Dealer's Visor (Poker Night at the Inventory)
Iron Curtain (Poker Night at the Inventory)
Fishcake (SpaceChem)
Dread Knot (Total War: Shogun 2)
Pilotka (Red Orchestra 2)
Purity Fist (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Engineer:
Lugermorph (Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Poker Night at the Inventory)
Hetman's Headpiece (Mount & Blade: With Fire And Sword)
Wingstick (RAGE)
Pip-Boy (Fallout: New Vegas)
Widowmaker (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
Short Circuit (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Medic:
Geisha Boy (Total War: Shogun 2)
Planeswalker Helm (Magic: The Gathering)

Sniper:
Anger (Brink)
Machina (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Spy:
Big Kill (Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse)
Enthusiast's Timepiece (Poker Night at the Inventory)
Conniver's Kunai (Total War: Shogun 2)
Noh Mercy (Total War: Shogun 2)
Janissary Ketch (Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword)
Diamondback (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
Nanobalaclava (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

All Classes:
Bill's Hat (Left 4 Dead 2)
Parasite (Alien Swarm)
Max's Severed Head (Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse)
Ellis' Cap (Left 4 Dead 2)
License to Maim (Poker Night at the Inventory)
Athletic Supporter (Monday Night Combat)
Aperture Labs Hard Hat (Potato Sack)
Resurrection Associate Pin (Potato Sack)
Companion Cube Pin (Portal 2)
SpaceChem Pin (SpaceChem)
Deus Specs (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
Company Man (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

About the promotional stuff.

If I buy Left 4 Dead 2 now, do I still get the TF2 stuff? And if you buy the game as a gift, do you still get them?

awwyeahgurrl said:
Promo's for classes I never play, oh well : (

I play engie when the situation calls for it....But what I saw poor Obsessed go through last night as engie on the GAF server I wont be playing it there any time soon

TGMIII

Against anyone half decent at the game engineer is just useless, in my opinion. These promos look so nice but I guess soldier/demo have gotten enough stuff. Medic items would have been nice too.

Wow, so now I know what I'm doing the Short Circuit is amazing.

*Place sentry and dispenser*
*switch to Short Circuit*
*destroy all incoming rockets and grenades*
*spam nope.wav over and over*

Good times.

Yeef

Grimm Fandango said:
Wow awesome update. Engineer finally got some new weapons! And no Soldier weapons? They must be holding them back.
I'm still convinced we'll be getting a bunch of new stuff next week.

(._.)

Banned
Technosteve said:
green man gaming sent me my Deus Exxx cd key, thank you based hats

disregard that =(
So you didn't get the hats with your key? Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Just activated mine.

DarkKyo

xtDzg.jpg

<3 the new shades on Pyro. I'm glad they make it full mask-lens and didn't just put the glasses on him. They have the texture of a yellow team uber o_o

OMG Aero

Dechaios said:
<3 the new shades on Pyro. I'm glad they make it full mask-lens and didn't just put the glasses on him. They have the texture of a yellow team uber o_o
Oh god now I really need these glasses.

Sianos

Crafted my new Short Circuit (Number 10789, that's a nice one), can't wait to destroy some stickies.

With a fully charged dispenser you should be able to weather an entire demo uber. Amazing!

barnone

Don't understand the short circuit. Does the electric field linger for a few seconds? Sometimes I see lightning bolts fly around but most of the time I fire it and see nothing.

DarkKyo

eby9A.jpg

I hope there are some nerds here who get this reference.

barnone said:
Don't understand the short circuit. Does the electric field linger for a few seconds? Sometimes I see lightning bolts fly around but most of the time I fire it and see nothing.
From what I understand there has to be something to make contact with for the discharge to happen. Projectile or person, I think....

Clydefrog

Dechaios said:
http://i.imgur.com/xtDzg.jpg

Yeah I immediately put my shades on the pyro with a cheater's lament. Mine looked like demon eyes with the halo :)

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, I'm surprised they made the mask lens thing work on the pyro. The summer sunglasses looked kind of weird because they were over the mask.

This update seems fairly polished...was anyone having framerate die on the sniper rifle trail, like the rocket laser trail previously? And they even put in kill icons, including the killed-by-bullet-through-someone-else icon!

DarkKyo

Blizzard said:
Wow, I'm surprised they made the mask lens thing work on the pyro. The summer sunglasses looked kind of weird because they were over the mask.

This update seems fairly polished...was anyone having framerate die on the sniper rifle trail, like the rocket laser trail previously? And they even put in kill icons, including the killed-by-bullet-through-someone-else icon!
I've seen a kill icon for the projectile passing through someone's midsection and then on through someone else's midsection but I have also seen a kill icon for the projectile passing through someone's head and then on through someone else's midsection! I wonder how many kill icons this thing has.

barnone said:

it runs on metal so u might just be out of metal

also i wonder if it disables rockets or sends them back
hmm...

They also did special Deus Specs for the Engineer (gold colored lenses on his goggles with specially shaped "frames"), Sniper (they're shaped more like his sunglasses), and Demoman (one of the lenses is shattered).

DarkKyo

EmCeeGramr said:
They also did special Deus Specs for the Engineer (gold colored lenses on his goggles with specially shaped "frames"), Sniper (they're shaped more like his sunglasses), and Demoman (one of the lenses is shattered).
I thought that was a very cool touch. When I first saw it from afar I was like "wow that is clipping so badly" but then I got a good look at it.

Exuro

vehn said:
Are the 8 items you get from pre-ordering Deus Ex locked to your account, or are they tradeable?
Tradeable of course. Would be lame if genuine items were locked to accounts, negates the value of genuine.

DarkKyo

I can't believe it but I just had my second hat drop in two days! Have hat drop rates gone up or am I just lucky?

Got Geisha today and Drill Sergeant yesterday.

Harpuia

I just can't anymore GAF. :( The valve servers are too horrible to play in. I was so happy that tf2 went f2p on pc, but man..these other guys suck.

Blizzard

Banned
Harpuia said:
I just can't anymore GAF. :( The valve servers are too horrible to play in. I was so happy that tf2 went f2p on pc, but man..these other guys suck.
Why not just play on a good server then?

Top Bottom