• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Cross-posted this in the need a PC thread, but maybe someone in TF2-GAF may help:

I need some tech support/advice here. I picked up the MSI GTX 560ti 448 about a month ago, and it's been working like a champ-- until last night where I started seeing some artifacting in TF2.

CT6wU.jpg
Stuff like that starts popping up after about 15-20 minutes of play.

I checked temps all throughout a session and it seems to stay at a pretty consistent 50 degrees, with the highest being 55. I tried reseating the card to see if that would help, but nada. Oh, and everything's stock on the card, nothing's been tweaked.

So, what're my options here? Should I just RMA it or is there something else I could try?

Cross-posted this in the need a PC thread, but maybe someone in TF2-GAF may help:

I need some tech support/advice here. I picked up the MSI GTX 560ti 448 about a month ago, and it's been working like a champ-- until last night where I started seeing some artifacting in TF2.

Stuff like that starts popping up after about 15-20 minutes of play.

I checked temps all throughout a session and it seems to stay at a pretty consistent 50 degrees, with the highest being 55. I tried reseating the card to see if that would help, but nada. Oh, and everything's stock on the card, nothing's been tweaked.

So, what're my options here? Should I just RMA it or is there something else I could try?

Maybe Tf2 updated something :/

I would see if you updated your graphics driver.

Do you have any other games that you could try the card out on?

I would also try a video stress test, I think Furmark is recommended, check to see if you got artifacts there.

Dunno which one of you fuck faces is Ranka Lee. Bravo on that viaduct sentry spot! Never knew you could get up there

where is this spot? I know you were spazzing in the chat :p

also Ranka Lee has a very good aim. I can't aim for shit with my 2.0 ghz laptop plus shitty table height.

that FatCatAttack, don't think I ever killed him one on one, but i'm pretty bad in scout vs scout duel.

Edit: Watched the demo, on the roof? I thought you would know how to get up there already with other classes!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
where is this spot? I know you were spazzing in the chat :p

also Ranka Lee has a very good aim. I can't aim for shit with my 2.0 ghz laptop plus shitty table height.

that FatCatAttack, don't think I ever killed him one on one, but i'm pretty bad in scout vs scout duel.

Edit: Watched the demo, on the roof? I thought you would know how to get up there already with other classes!

Ranka was on my team.

I know how to get up there as a jump class but not as engie.

Maybe Tf2 updated something :/

I would see if you updated your graphics driver.

Do you have any other games that you could try the card out on?

I would also try a video stress test, I think Furmark is recommended, check to see if you got artifacts there.
I tried out the benchmarking tool in MSI's Afterburner, which is based on Furmark. Everything checked out. I also tried Furmark, Uniengine, and EVGA OC Scanner. That last one in particular pushed my card to the highest temp at 64 degrees, and I ran it for 2 hours, it also has a built in artifact scanner. Came out squeaky clean.

I also tried underclocking the card to reference settings since it's OC'd out of the box. While that reduced the intensity of the artifacting, it was still present.

I haven't been playing much else on PC aside from TF2, but I have been dabbling in some Serious Sam 3 and Path of Exile lately, and they ran fine. Maybe I'll get a good Tribes Ascend session going on tonight and see if anything sparks up.

But right now as my reference for artifacting, I can get some pretty consistent results out of the bridge area in 2fort, and from the second point of either RED or BLU in foundry.

The shitty thing on top of this is that even if I RMA it and have to deal without a GPU for however long that's gonna take, they're probably going to run the same benchmarking stuff and send it right back to me seeing no problems with it. What a hassle, dunno what to do.

I read around that this particular card had some problems in BF3, but was fixed with updated drivers.. Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest? Or at least uninstall and reinstall drivers. Might want to check your Nvidia Control Panel as well.

If all else fails, you may want to try maxing out tf2. Use Chris' FPS config for Max Quality.

I read around that this particular card had some problems in BF3, but was fixed with updated drivers.. Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest? Or at least uninstall and reinstall drivers. Might want to check your Nvidia Control Panel as well.

If all else fails, you may want to try maxing out tf2. Use Chris' FPS config for Max Quality.
Well, I updated the drivers, I was sticking to the drivers on the disc because for the longest while the latest ones from Nvidia's site weren't detecting the 560 448s, but that seems to have changed.

I played for about an hour and I didn't notice any artifacting. I did get this weird texture goof after a while though, and it also appeared on the floor in RED's spawnroom.

Dunno what to think of that. But so far there's been no stretchy polygon insanity.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Well, I updated the drivers, I was sticking to the drivers on the disc because for the longest while the latest ones from Nvidia's site weren't detecting the 560 448s, but that seems to have changed.

I played for about an hour and I didn't notice any artifacting. I did get this weird texture goof after a while though, and it also appeared on the floor in RED's spawnroom.

Dunno what to think of that. But so far there's been no stretchy polygon insanity.

TF2 hates my card as well (and only TF2 from what I play), do you play any other games to test to see if you still see any weird texture issues?

does anyone have any script for specific classes? need to have a button for the axe.

alias +melee "slot3; +attack"
alias -melee "-attack; lastinv"

bind +melee to the button of your choice, when held down you'll switch to axe and continue attacking, when released you'll switch back to the previous weapon

where should i put that?

pryo.cfg in your username/tf/config folder

Fair warning: it'll stay active for your other classes if you don't either set specific bindings in the other .cfg files.

I actually use a similar axetinguisher script, but I don't have it switch back when I'm done. This way if the first swing misses, I'm not forced to keep swinging to keep the axe out.

sixghost

Playing engineer is kind of fun. I still have no idea where I'm supposed to be putting sentries or teleporters, but still fun. Losing your entire nest is absolutely heartbreaking.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I wouldn't be too concerned about Pyros and Heavies taking out SG nests since they are some of the better close quarters classes to use against any lvl SG. Just remember that if you build close to a corner then they will have an easier chance to pick it apart. It's a catch-22; you either build at a corner/edge to cover more visual but risk losing the nest easily, or you build further back losing the additional visual cover but your nest survives a bit longer. Realistically all you can do is experiment and find out what placement you want.

Though if you want to be a bit more competent with it all you can always check out juicyjames' Engineer building guides on reddit. Details strengths, weaknesses, and includes pretty pictures.

Nothing will realistically protect you from a Demo with good direct aim on the grenade launcher, or a Soldier from distance splashing you, so just do what you can and have fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No sentries survive a half competent demo, so yeah.
Enjoy it while it lasts. Or whore yourself out to mini-sentries.

Having a friendly Pyro lurking near your nest can definitely be the difference between your nest living on or being blown up. They can spycheck, push back ubers, deflect long-distance rockets, and push back stickies/grenades. Of course, then it means you have 2 members of your team in one spot, so depending on the circumstances it may just bee too many resources tied up in one spot to give your team a winning chance.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Having a friendly Pyro lurking near your nest can definitely be the difference between your nest living on or being blown up. They can spycheck, push back ubers, deflect long-distance rockets, and push back stickies/grenades. Of course, then it means you have 2 members of your team in one spot, so depending on the circumstances it may just bee too many resources tied up in one spot to give your team a winning chance.

On the other hand, you usually want most classes to loosely group together. Scouts, Spies, Snipers, they should be out on their own, but everyone else does better when near teammates. They can cover each other and watch each other's backs. And on defense, there's only a handful of spots that actually matter anyway, so grouping an Engie and Pyro together (especially one with a Homewrecker/Maul) is relatively efficient.

Unless the Pyro's shit, of course.

leroidys

Yeah, the real key to succeeding as engineer is whether your team gives a shit about your sentries. Usually the answer is 'no', so you just have to rely on the incompetence of the other team.

(._.)

Banned
Yeah, the real key to succeeding as engineer is whether your team gives a shit about your sentries. Usually the answer is 'no', so you just have to rely on the incompetence of the other team.

most of the time your stuff takes care of itself and you just jump around in the corner hitting stuff scoring points for doing nothing.

Yeef

I have made a map. We will play it 24/7 from now on.

Say hello to the REAL* koth_jankyard(_a1)! I want to make sure it plays well** before making it pretty. Keep that in mind when you see the crappy lighting, floating objects (too lazy to do the displacements) and other oddities.

RED and BLU are fighting over a Scrapyard because of reasons. Evade your pursers through piles of makeshift barriers, cobbled together from whatever was laying around. Marvel at the magical spawn doors that are glass on one side and metal on the other***! Curse like a sailor as you are headshot from the numerous sniper perches! Jump across the map in a matter of seconds (if you're any of the good classes)! Yes, The Jank Yard has it all!

* Borgnine's map has been renamed to koth_borgnine. Change your file name if you don't want to redownload it.
** Keep in mind that when i say play 'well' I mean compared to Borgnine and Brickyard. I'm pretty certain that my map will be awful in practice, but as long as it's better than the other two GAF maps, I can claim a victory!
***I don't plan to keep it that way, but it seemed easier than adding windows for the time being.

** Keep in mind that when i say play 'well' I mean compared to Borgnine and Brickyard. I'm pretty certain that my map will be awful in practice, but as long as it's better than the other two GAF maps, I can claim a victory!

Uh huh. No one can topple Brickyard from the mighty pedestal that I've created! I've set the bar too high!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
* Borgnine's map has been renamed to koth_borgnine. Change your file name if you don't want to redownload it.

Seriously though, TAKE IT OFF THE SERVER. It's getting a bad rap even though I'm fixing it.

Also, awesome. Can we start talking map shop now? WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST USE A DOOR PROP AND TIE IT TO A FUNC_DOOR NODRAW BRUSH YOU STUPID ASSHOLE. I MEAN COME ON.

Also Artistdude, there's a field on the prop_dynamic overview to set the default animation for a character model... so that's all I had to do, no input/output stuff was necessary.

Top Bottom