• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Evilore and Gabe angered the wrong people?

thinking.gif

Yeef

Here is a map, with pickups highlighted for those who wonder where they are located. The crudely added lines are the approxiamte locations of the underground tunnels that lead to the enemy base. The pickups nearest the wall are inside of the back shipping container.

Takeaways from the two times we've played the map:
  • The area just outside of the gate is way too open. I suspected as much, but I figured, the sides of the point on harvest feel pretty open, but it's not a problem. It is, however, a problem on Jank Yard.
  • The rocks are an easy way for any class too get up onto the roof (or the small balcony); but since that area is so open you generally don't have time to do it without getting shot unless you're a cloaked spy.
  • The metal barrier was originally a little outside of the gate, but I decided to move it inside as a bit of extra spawn protection. In practice, it actually herded people in such a way that made attacks from above easier, not harder. I think I'll move it back outside the gate since it breaks up the open area a bit as well (though even that probably won't be enough to break it up).
  • The tunnels are too far out of the way. Originally I had an entire underground area that basically spread over the middle of the map, but, ultimately, it felt like it took too long to traverse to be worthwhile. So I scrapped it in favor of backdoor tunnels; except those also take too long to traverse. I'll try to find a way to shorten/redesign them so that they're closer to the action and get you to the sniper balcony more quickly.
  • The sniper balcony is another problem. There's not really any good way for most classes to get up there without going past the enemy spawn. I think they're also a little too high. I think I'll redesign the entire left spawn exit room.
  • I think an exit between the wall and the containers might make the flow of leaving spawn a bit better.
  • Some of the props make traversal wonky. I'll probably just added player clip boxes around them to make them more manageable.
  • By default, you also can't build on a lot of the props. I'll have to figure out how to make that not the case.
  • To quote sixghost: "its like harvest but with shit everywhere." That's basically what I was going for, but I think I made it a bit too big and open.

As always, I demand tribute, in the form of feedback!

Oreoleo

I would move the rocks and debris in towards the center another 50% or whatever. They are great flanking routes but they are so far from the point and most of the action that they are impractical to incorporate into gameplay most of the time.

Also I'd like to see more cover for snipers. Joe Carter was getting me over and over as soon as I would step out onto the balcony. That's normally not a big deal but it happened from 3 different places all over the map. Just some full height barriers a la 2fort that you can pop out from behind of instead of the mid-height barrier it is now.

Otherwise, honestly it didn't seem too bad. It's already better than brickyard and borgnine's map.

Edit: Yeef you mentioned adding that middle door out of spawn and I thought the same exact thing while we were playing it. Those corners ended up being kinda dead space.

I had some technical clipping issues getting caught repeatedly on one doorway in particular without trying to repeat those conditions (should be an easy fix). Some of the props too, but you said you were fixing that.

Yeah, I felt there were too many health packs in the middle area. But that needs to be shrunk as a whole in my opinion, or shuffled around some.

I didn't play it with a full server, but it looked to be like the enemy base was plenty easy to flank, and the underground tunnels weren't worth the time to traverse (but when you shuffle the central props around that might change). Edit: re reading again you already addressed this.

I'll think of some other shit later.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I think I made it a bit too big and open.

NOT SO EASY IS IT!

Not bad at all though it did feel a little too open on the sides, like between the rocks and the point. The spawn building area seemed a little complicated and hard to navigate though it should be easier once it's textured and the rooms are more easily identifiable. Other than that was just that little lip on the ramp out of spawn that I kept getting caught on. Oh and I went through the giant butthole but I was the only one in there.

leroidys

I missed Jankyard tonight, but I've actually always had fun playing borgnines map. It's basically only demoknights, scouts, spies, and snipers, but it works.

You're welcome borgnine. Now quit the liberty launcher.

Yeef

There's a patch every Thursday.

Also, it's disgusting that there are people on my friends list who don't own Portal 2. For you heretics, there's been a permanent price drop to $20 AND it's all sale for 50% off this week ($10). If you don't buy it you will be banned from the server. This means you; these people!

gYvQw.png

BY2K

Membero Americo

Also, it's disgusting that there are people on my friends list who don't own Portal 2. For you heretics, there's been a permanent price drop to $20 AND it's all sale for 50% off this week ($10). If you don't buy it you will be banned from the server. This means you; these people!

gYvQw.png

Shit just got real.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
All that picture does is remind me that Metaphorically doesn't love us anymore. His stabs were so gentle; treacherous.

ngwph.jpg

gYvQw.png

whoo glad it got dropped for me during the winter event.

I haven't touch my copy of Portal 2 yet :|

Why am I not Steam friends with any Gaffers :(
I have a bunch from tf2 gaf but I don't have Fallengorn, Yeef, and some others. I don't feel the need to add them because they play almost everyday, but if they wanted to add me, then that's cool :)

Boney

Banned

gYvQw.png

what's really sad is that I am in your friend list, I don't own that game AND I'm not in that picture.

I think at this point you're just actively trying to hurt my feelings.

Top Bottom