• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Acerac

Banned
Interesting stats Kirby.

Who else remembers a few weeks ago when everyone was crying about the Mangler being OP? I said it then, I'll say it again now, a soldier that can't take out an Engie nest is a gimp soldier.

*Edit*

Yeah that seemed like a lot of data to be buried, I was debating quoting it to serve the same purpose as your reposting.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I rather it didn't get lost on the last page, so I'll just copy and paste it whole sale.

Looking at the server stats, the Mantreads have only ever gotten 14 kills on the server.

Only one person has ever been killed with a Solider Taunt, which is tied with the number of people killed with reflected sticky bombs. There have been 2 reflected flare kills so far, and 17 reflected arrows. 447 have been killed with Reflected Rockets, 26 with Mangler Rockets.

The scout Pistol and the Engineer Pistol are the #55 and #56 most deadly weapons on the server.

The Family Bussiness has the least number of kills for any gun.

Only 12 people have been killed by Home Wreckers, there are no recorded Maul Kills.

The level 2 sentry is the least deadly, the mini-sentry is second most.

The Liberty Launcher already has the 4th most kills on the server, while the Black Box is down to 19, likely to be passed by soon by the Original, at 21. Which is an interesting trend, since the Black Box for a while was by far the most popular Rocket Launcher on the server. Cow Mangler is at 29, Dirrect hit 32.

There is only a 200 kill gap between Postal Pummeler, and normal Axtinguisher.

The Fan O' War has the least kills for any weapon, 5.

The World is the #12 most deadly "weapon" on the server.

Engineers using their own Teleporters accounts for 50% of their use on our server.

XeroSauce

Drkirby said:
Looking at the server stats, the Mantreads have only ever gotten 14 kills on the server.

Only one person has ever been killed with a Solider Taunt, which is tied with the number of people killed with reflected sticky bombs. There have been 2 reflected flare kills so far, and 17 reflected arrows. 447 have been killed with Reflected Rockets, 26 with Mangler Rockets.

The scout Pistol and the Engineer Pistol are the #55 and #56 most deadly weapons on the server.

Only 12 people have been killed by Home Wreckers, there are no recorded Maul Kills.

The Liberty Launcher already has the 4th most kills on the server, while the Black Box is down to 19, likely to be passed by soon by the Original, at 21. Which is an interesting trend, since the Black Box for a while was by far the most popular Rocket Launcher on the server. Cow Mangler is at 29, Dirrect hit 32.

Engineers using their own Teleporters accounts for 50% of their use on our server.

Welp, time to start racking up Family Business kills.

If they released a Strange FB I'd be all over it. FoS Family Business in your face.
With a desc tag saying: In Russia, shotguns are more dangerous than women.

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:
Interesting stats Kirby.

Who else remembers a few weeks ago when everyone was crying about the Mangler being OP? I said it then, I'll say it again now, a soldier that can't take out an Engie nest is a gimp soldier.

*Edit*

Yeah that seemed like a lot of data to be buried, I was debating quoting it to serve the same purpose as your reposting.
I don't even see the mangler used much now. Was it heavily nerfed? I feel like it was kind of like being able to move sentries, where people presumably thought it would be overpowered but then it worked out.

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
I don't even see the mangler used much now. Was it heavily nerfed? I feel like it was kind of like being able to move sentries, where people presumably thought it would be overpowered but then it worked out.
As far as I know it wasn't nerfed, Valve just decided to make the downsides to the weapon more obvious by adding them to the weapon description after a couple weeks.

I crafted it day 1 and traded it day 2 before it lost all value. Not a horrible rocket launcher, but not overpowered by any stretch of the imagination. It's a great item if your opponents aren't using engineers. If they are, I feel you're doing a disservice to your team by using it. Personally I don't bother either way.

I still love dying to it. The death animation is awesome.

Forkball

Drkirby said:
I rather it didn't get lost on the last page, so I'll just copy and paste it whole sale.

Fun fact: I was the person who got the grenade kill. It was on Warpath and the Heavy looked AFK, so I taunted and killed him.

Also that Engy fact has to be BS, no way are half of the teles from Engineers traveling back and forth. Once set up, Engies typically just turtle in their base and watch people pass by.

Forkball said:
Fun fact: I was the person who got the grenade kill. It was on Warpath and the Heavy looked AFK, so I taunted and killed him.

Also that Engy fact has to be BS, no way are half of the teles from Engineers traveling back and forth. Once set up, Engies typically just turtle in their base and watch people pass by.
It is separated as "Teleported Used" and "Teleported Used (Not Own)". In teleported used I've used mine (apparently) 222 and others' 65. lol

Could be true in my case since most of my time in Janky-Ass has been Pyro/Engineer/Medic. But yeah, I think it is BS.

Edit: My K:D ratio is horrendous. I should stop jumping into shit I know I ain't gonna win or is gonna get me killed, but sometimes it helps the team a lot! (Like pushing the cart on upward to capture a point since no one else does it)

Good lord, Demoknight is fun to use. I'm presuming there's no set bonus for 1001 Demonights, even though I'll probably never see the hat in my lifetime to complete my set.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
There have been 20 soldier taunt kills. A taunt kill with the Lumbricius Lid has it's own unique code, so that's the 1 kill you're seeing. If you scroll up a bit you'll see 19 for the regular taunt kill. The short circuit has fewer kills than the family business at 0. It'll probably stay that way for a long time since it only does 5 damage (and it's considered a projectile, so it does even less to demoknights).

Acerac said:
As far as I know it wasn't nerfed, Valve just decided to make the downsides to the weapon more obvious by adding them to the weapon description after a couple weeks.

I crafted it day 1 and traded it day 2 before it lost all value. Not a horrible rocket launcher, but not overpowered by any stretch of the imagination. It's a great item if your opponents aren't using engineers. If they are, I feel you're doing a disservice to your team by using it. Personally I don't bother either way.

I still love dying to it. The death animation is awesome.
They did nerf it slightly by increasing the reload speed by 5%, but that's barely noticeable. The important change is that they fixed a bug. For the first 2 weeks it was released it had 50% ramp up when all other launchers only have 25%. basically, it did more damage than all the other launchers (except the direct hit) AND had an extra shot per clip. It also had the hidden trait of killing your framerate until they reduced the number of polygons the projectile model uses.

XeroSauce said:
Welp, time to start racking up Family Business kills.

If they released a Strange FB I'd be all over it. FoS Family Business in your face.
With a desc tag saying: In Russia, shotguns are more dangerous than women.
it makes sense...when do you ever really want to switch to shotty as Heavy? when you run out of ammo. and how often does that happen in a single life? almost never.

Anyway,

1.) Fan-O-War stat is not surprising, since it's the weakest weapon not named "Jumper" in the game afaik. I'm kinda surprised there are any kills at all with it.

2.) People sleep in the mini-sentry and or talk bad about it. It's the shit. It is an offensive weapon. Drop in a moderately hot area, switch to shotty and go for it. It's the complete opposite way to traditionally play Engie.

3.) Lack of Maul kills surprises me, considering how often we play fucking Degroot. Surely I'm not the only one who has a Maul to use, right?

4.) I *will* get a Rocket Jumper kill on someone. and I will end my play that night on that note. You will be mad. I will take screen shots. You will not be allowed to live it down.

SteveWinwood said:
I tried for I guess an hour and a half two nights ago and never got one :(

:(

It should be instant kill like a back stab, IMO. If you manage to land on someone with the Mantreads, you deserve the kill, because it's freaking hard to do.

But right now they have to be hurt already before landing on them to get the kill. Sucks.

Yeef

Dreams-Visions said:
it makes sense...when do you ever really want to switch to shotty as Heavy? when you run out of ammo. and how often does that happen in a single life? almost never.
Nope. You use the shotgun when you need the extra mobility. Since you move faster and you can jump it allows you to give chase so people can't run away. Also, since you don't have to wait for spin up you can start killing right away. The problem is that they needlessly buffed the heavy's spin up time because bad players didn't know how to determine when to use the shotgun and when the minigun.

As far as the family business goes, there's really no reason to use it other than aesthetics. It's a straight downgrade. in the time it takes to get off all 8 shots you can get off 7 with the normal shotgun which will do more damage than the business' 8 shots.

2.) People sleep in the mini-sentry and or talk bad about it. It's the shit. It is an offensive weapon. Drop in a moderately hot area, switch to shotty and go for it. It's the complete opposite way to traditionally play Engie.
I've never heard anyone say the mini sentry was bad. it's annoying, especially on open maps like Harvest. They really do need to reduce the range of the mini sentry though. The range it shows when you build is shorter than the standard sentry, but it still has the standard range anyway.

3.) Lack of Maul kills surprises me, considering how often we play fucking Degroot. Surely I'm not the only one who has a Maul to use, right?
Only 317 Genuine Mauls exist and no one has a non-genuine one because the homewrecker isn't a popular weapon to begin with, so no one bothers trying their luck at crafting a maul.

4.) I *will* get a Rocket Jumper kill on someone. and I will end my play that night on that note. You will be mad. I will take screen shots. You will not be allowed to live it down.
Rocket Jumper does 0 damage, so that won't happen. Unless you mean a mantreads kill.

ArtistDude88 said:
:(

It should be instant kill like a back stab, IMO. If you manage to land on someone with the Mantreads, you deserve the kill, because it's freaking hard to do.

But right now they have to be hurt already before landing on them to get the kill. Sucks.
Well, if you use it with the market gardner you can hit them as you land on them for crits. If the shovel doesn't kill them the stomp will, but even that's still pretty damn hard.

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
Just landing on people is hard enough, and you want to throw a shovel into the mix as well? D:
Listen to yourself. I wouldn't expect that kind of talk from the guy who holds this:
w_shovel.png

Proven

I remember hearing that you can't aim directly down in the Source Engine, so getting a Market Gardner + Mantreads hit is near impossible unless you come in at a miraculous angle.

The stats surprised me at first, but then I remembered some of the stuff I've done have been on other servers, which mostly happens because the GAF server is too full. If I get on more I'll be sure to get certain stats back up.

Yeef

Proven said:
I remember hearing that you can't aim directly down in the Source Engine, so getting a Market Gardner + Mantreads hit is near impossible unless you come in at a miraculous angle.
You don't need to aim directly down, because the player hulls, which are used for collision, melee attacks and projectile attacks, are huge. Like, super huge. It shouldn't be too hard to land toward the front and hit the back portion.

hulls.png

Aw man, I forgot I did a fresh install of Steam and everything, so I lost my blacklist for TF2. I joined a random game and it was a nighteam server *shivers*

Going through the server list and restoring my blacklist to it's former glory, woo!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Only 317 Genuine Mauls exist and no one has a non-genuine one because the homewrecker isn't a popular weapon to begin with, so no one bothers trying their luck at crafting a maul.
I have a non-genuine one! I need to kill someone with it, so I have 100% of all the kills of the weapon on the server.

The Maul has been seen on 2982 of 259776 profiles scanned.

Also got a Strange Knife and Strange GRU together for 2 Refined. May be a bit over priced, but I'm happy. I use the stock knife on Spy, and have the GRU on the heavy at almost all times, so now when I get that 1 kill per month, it will keep track of it!

And how much longer are we keeping Birthday Mode on the server?

sixghost

I think I can lay claim to that 1 and only reflected grenade kill. It was either that or a reflected sticky, which I'm not even sure would count as my kill. And it was on Wartime no less.

Just had my first 100 point match. Granted, it was a payload match that went to every possible round, and it wasn't on a particular competitive server, but still - it felt good.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Give me one and I will kill you with it.
You can't even kill anyone with real weapons! How are you going to kill someone with a weapon that does 5 damage, has less range than a flame thrower and shoots slower than a shotgun (also, it will deplete all of your metal in 5 shots if you start with 200).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
You can't even kill anyone with real weapons! How are you going to kill someone with a weapon that does 5 damage, has less range than a flame thrower and shoots slower than a shotgun (also, it will deplete all of your metal in 5 shots if you start with 200).
I will do so poor with the weapon, that my skill will wrap back around and make me godly with it.

Played another few rounds asa demo...having a really tough time getting used to the class, but I see how good they are with a experienced player so im gnna keep at it.so far im playing him really "safe" staying pretty far back

Really tough (for my dumbass atleast) discerning whens a good time for stickies and when grenades are the right approach :/

im sitting in Janky by myself trying to get the distances down :(

Ultratech

Drkirby said:

1) I would've thought Engie pistol would've been a bit more deadlier given how you can spam it.

2) Not surprised at the mini-sentry being deadly. Those things are awesome, and I love abusing them. I think I'm partially the reason people hate them on Harvest. :D

3) The Teleporter thing surprises me. As an Engie, I rarely use my own Teles unless I end up dying somehow.

4) I don't care for the Cow Mangler. Thought it was awesome, then I got one, and it didn't really appeal to me. Maybe it was the damage or the odd charged shot, but it's not that practical in my hands.

fallengorn said:
That's just inviting an all engy night.

I'm not opposed to this... lol

Top Bottom