• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

JackFrost said:
Played another few rounds asa demo...having a really tough time getting used to the class, but I see how good they are with a experienced player so im gnna keep at it.so far im playing him really "safe" staying pretty far back

Really tough (for my dumbass atleast) discerning whens a good time for stickies and when grenades are the right approach :/

im sitting in Janky by myself trying to get the distances down :(
Demoman is bad at short range unless you have impeccable aim. Both nades and stickies are good for mid range and stickies are decent at longer ranges as well. As for when to use which, stickies work better in open areas since they allow you to do area denial. Nades work better in tight spaces and against slow targets (like revved heavies) since they do more damage if you can score direct hits with them.

Oreoleo

Demoman is my 2nd most played class but it feels like the more I use it the worse and worse I get. I don't know what is wrong with me; for points in a single life, it is my worst class.

Had Thursday's Giantbomb/Tested TF2 TNT (http://www.giantbomb.com/thursday-night-throwdown-082511/17-4769/) running to the side earlier (which was fantastic this week, full of old game and website trivia) and had pretty much my best round in as long as I can remember:

uEQBT.jpg

Then to top it off, I found my very first description tab as I quit, so I used it on my Strange Shotgun:

MLrg4.jpg

Probably not the first to use that quote.

I also finally got the "Death from Above" achievement with a lucky crocket, unfortunately the replay along with a couple of others apparently didn't download fully :(

I did make this one though from one of the few that did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ca-yw9fEH4

Minisentries are too annoying in KOTH maps. Valve has to reduced the range at least, it has a faster firing rate and the same range as a lvl 1 sentry.

Some great games tonight. (aside from that WE'RE GETTING RRRRRRAPPPPEEEED guy.)

I really liked playing Medic for that one round, though the beam effect to show who you're healing only shows up half the time. Any tips? I probably made a lot of mistakes on who to heal/followetc but it was fun.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
Yeah, I don't like that map either.
I think it's decent when there are few demoknights. playing demoknight in medieval is like playing heavy in normal mode. It's not fun to play and not fun to play against.

Proven

Yeef said:
I think it's decent when there are few demoknights. playing demoknight in medieval is like playing heavy in normal mode. It's not fun to play and not fun to play against.

I disagree. The difference between Heavy in regular and Demoknight in medieval is that the Demoknight is almost the only viable class. A bunch of Heavies still need some kind of support. This makes Heavies fun to play with.

Acerac

Banned
Snipers aren't considered viable in Medieval maps? They have no restrictions other than a lack of Jarate.

Also, is the server down already? I had a late work night and hoped to get some TF2 in. >_<

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I enjoyed morrigan alley a lot, but I was just messing around most of the time. Went GRU Heavy for a bit, decided I should be useful, went spy to win on blue, on red I started as a Gunslinger Engineer, killed one person, and then went on to play the rest of the map as Crossbow/Bust Medic. I had fun.

I wonder why Jarate is not allowed, maybe Valve realized it is just too unbalanced in the mode.

Complex Shadow said:
wat? a demo can own engis. i can't because i am still a noob. but yea theoretically engis should be afraid of demos and spies. not the other way round.
Demoknight. I know that regular demos run trains on engies. :p

Sianos

Didn't play too well tonight, probably a combination of my lack of sleep and some jank. Ah well, there's always tomorrow. Sorry for my rambling tonight. :p

Still did get some funny kills, missing the stab and doing regular knives instead on a demo three times, only to facestab him once he turned around.

Yeef I beg you to remove Degroot from the server. Pretty sure it killed the server tonight. Everyone fucking left because of the bullshit mode.

Acerac

Banned
Obsessed said:
Yeef I beg you to remove Degroot from the server. Pretty sure it killed the server tonight. Everyone fucking left because of the bullshit mode.
I still don't understand why everyone quits because of it. If you want to shoot stuff, go sniper. It's not like huntsman snipers are difficult to use; even I can play one and I don't know how to aim.

Acerac said:
I still don't understand why everyone quits because of it. If you want to shoot stuff, go sniper. It's not like huntsman snipers are difficult to use; even I can play one and I don't know how to aim.
This is what I do. Why I have the record for most flaming arrows on the server...

Acerac

Banned
SteveWinwood said:
This is what I do. Why I have the record for most flaming arrows on the server...
Honestly the only reason I vote for the stage is because it allows me an easy venue to practice with two of the classes I want to work on most.

Thoraxes

I love Degroot so hard.
And I love everyone's complaining when it gets voted for more.
This is because I am good as a demoknight though.

Acerac

Banned
Holy shit I forgot how fun spies are to play on random servers.

*Goes 30-1 on the first full round I play*

People calling out that they've killed you when you dead ringered is HILARIOUS. Sometimes I congratulate them for their awesome kills.

Despite this, I still can't play spy on JankyGAF. There is too much pressure considering how high the standard is here. Half a second of lag and an awesome backstab streak turns in to me running uncloaked in front of a team of angry opposition.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I say get rid of all plr and ctf maps...and degroot. It's obvious a lot of players don't want these maps due to the mass quits. If you guys want to play them so badly, there are 24/7 maps out there. I just don't want to roll a cart up a goddamn hill with my team herping and derping. I also don't want to waste time digging out the inevitable sentry nest around the intel. Degroot is terrible due to how one dimensional it is. It's pure chaos with no strategy that focuses on poor hit detection that takes away a lot of the classes' uniqueness. I also hate that goddamn demoknight.

But if yeef is more focused on variety rather than keeping people on, then this is all moot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I really like the change of pace between CTF and PLR. I really don't like Pipeline or Nightfall though as maps.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
But if yeef is more focused on variety rather than keeping people on, then this is all moot.
Spice must flow.

I'll never understand why people vote for a map and then leave when it wins. If you didn't want to play it, why did you vote for it?

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Spice must flow.

I'll never understand why people vote for a map and then leave when it wins. If you didn't want to play it, why did you vote for it?
50% of the people on the map don't want to vote, 50% of the people just want the stupid menu to go away, like all those constant strange weapon popups, and 50% of the people are trying to switch to axetinguisher and voted 3 by accident.

NBtoaster

Blizzard said:
50% of the people on the map don't want to vote, 50% of the people just want the stupid menu to go away, like all those constant strange weapon popups, and 50% of the people are trying to switch to axetinguisher and voted 3 by accident.

People change weapons with number keys 0_o

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
!revote is my friend

NBtoaster said:
People change weapons with number keys 0_o
WoW player for many years here. I'm used to hitting numbers while moving.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
KGB in mid evil I think is better than demo knight sometimes.

I also change with number keys. I've been using Q for weapon swap more recently now.

Ultratech

Obsessed said:

I didn't leave...I didn't mind defending the cart as a Sniper.
(Shoots arrows, if anybody gets too close, give 'em a face-full of Bushwacka.)

And I don't normally change weapons with number keys. I SHOULD for some classes, but most of the time, I don't.

Also made it into the Top 100 Players for the Server. (lol)

The only things I use number keys for are buildings as engineer and disguises as sniper. Everything else is mousewheel up for primary, mousewheel down for secondary, side-button for melee.

Also, Degroot is awesome and anyone who hates it must be a communist.

1. If you own a Strange Eyelander, you can actually level it up.
  2. It's ridiculously easy to get taunt kills and thus taunt kill achievements if you don't have them already.
  3. It would give you an opportunity to actually eat a Buffalo Steak Sandvich.
  4. The music is fucking awesome.
  5. It is in no way annoying to watch the text chat.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Spice must flow.

1. accident (middle of switching weapons, building, disgusining)
2. wasn't concerned for mapvote (fighting someone, or about to fight someone, don't care, picked whatever without looking to get ready)
3. all the maps were terrible and I had no other choice (sometimes picking the evil you know rather than the evil you don't)

solutions?
1. Nothing you can do. There's no way, afaik, to set it so that it does the vote pre round or some other time. All other servers I go on have this issue.
2. Are we supposed to all meet in the middle of the map and have tea (artistdude) and shake hands and decide?
3. if we're going to have a mapvote, is there a way to set it so that each maptype gets on there?

I remember seeing Arena, two CTF maps, Egypt and some other weird ass maps on there on one vote, and I'm thinking "the hell am I supposed to pick?!"

or, maybe instead of the map, we pick the type and it randomly picks it?

1. Payload
2. Attack/Defend
3. 5CP
4. CTF
5. PLR
6. Arena

moojito

There's something to be said for a rotation as well. I know back when I used to play UT I'd sit through a couple of maps I didn't like if I knew one I did like was up after it.

Sianos

It makes me sad that the only times JankyGAF is active I'm either busy or I'm incredibly tired.

Clearly, I must rearange my schedule.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
1. accident (middle of switching weapons, building, disgusining)
2. wasn't concerned for mapvote (fighting someone, or about to fight someone, don't care, picked whatever without looking to get ready)
3. all the maps were terrible and I had no other choice (sometimes picking the evil you know rather than the evil you don't)
1. !revote
2. The map vote lasts for 45 seconds. If you can't find 3 seconds during tha ttime to vote for a map then you have no one to blame but yourself! Also, on every game type other than PLR, CTF and TC map votes should only come up between rounds. If they've been popping up earlier in other modes I'll check the configs to see what the issue is.
3. That's what nominate is for. It seems some people think nominate is only for custom maps, but it's not. I'd say at least 80% of the time I nominate something it's Gorge.

I remember seeing Arena, two CTF maps, Egypt and some other weird ass maps on there on one vote, and I'm thinking "the hell am I supposed to pick?!"
It already picks 1 of each map type (except TC) and 1 random custom map then adds whatever people nominate on top of that. The problem is that if too many people nominate stuff it creates multiple pages so you might have to press 9 to go to the next page. I've already spoken with the author of the plugin and he said he'll make a maximum nominations variable in the next release, so that won't be a problem anymore.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
1. !revote
2. The map vote lasts for 45 seconds. If you can't find 3 seconds during tha ttime to vote for a map then you have no one to blame but yourself! Also, on every game type other than PLR, CTF and TC map votes should only come up between rounds. If they've been popping up earlier in other modes I'll check the configs to see what the issue is.
3. That's what nominate is for. It seems some people think nominate is only for custom maps, but it's not. I'd say at least 80% of the time I nominate something it's Gorge.

It already picks 1 of each map type (except TC) and 1 random custom map then adds whatever people nominate on top of that. The problem is that if too many people nominate stuff it creates multiple pages so you might have to press 9 to go to the next page. I've already spoken with the author of the plugin and he said he'll make a maximum nominations variable in the next release, so that won't be a problem anymore.

So I can blame the people who nominate maps? Awesome!

And who the hell votes for 2fort?! SRSLY!!

Kuro Madoushi said:
So I can blame the people who nominate maps? Awesome!

And who the hell votes for 2fort?! SRSLY!!
some people like 2Fort, man. From what I see, the dedicated 2Fort servers are never lacking players. Much to the chagrin of TF2GAF.

I play them from time to time when I want to practice my sniper aim or something.

Yeef

2fort is one of the maps that ONLY comes up when nominated, so you can blame whoever nominated it and whoever voted for it.

plr_2fort, on the other hand, is awesome, so I don't mind if people nominate that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
some people like 2Fort, man. From what I see, the dedicated 2Fort servers are never lacking players. Much to the chagrin of TF2GAF.

I play them from time to time when I want to practice my sniper aim or something.
fuckin blasphemy!

edit: the hell is plr 2fort!? is it a combination of the two worst aspects of tf2 into an ubersuckagefest? or actually fun?

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
fuckin blasphemy!

edit: the hell is plr 2fort!? is it a combination of the two worst aspects of tf2 into an ubersuckagefest? or actually fun?
It was made by LeMeuiller, so of course it's fun.

Top Bottom