• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Giard

TF2 newbie here...how do custom blueprints work?

Also any tips for an engineer (seems to be my best class by far, with medic) would be appreciated!

Yeef

Giard said:
Custom blueprint is just for if you already know a recipe and you don't want to find it on the list. You just add the items you plan to use and it automatically detects what you're trying to craft.

Giard

Yeef said:
Custom blueprint is just for if you already know a recipe and you don't want to find it on the list. You just add the items you plan to use and it automatically detects what you're trying to craft.

Thanks.

Bakphoon

Giard said:

Also any tips for an engineer (seems to be my best class by far, with medic) would be appreciated!

Do not Craft hats from Metal, and don't trade Hats away for weapons.

The only tip i can give you for engi is: Watch out for spies and spycheck everyone who is nearing you and your buildings.

Forkball

PLR is a lot of fun even if there are stalemate moments. CTF would be good too if we had a no Engy rule. I'm against taking official maps off the server, it would be like banning certain weapons on the server.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forkball said:
PLR is a lot of fun even if there are stalemate moments. CTF would be good too if we had a no Engy rule. I'm against taking official maps off the server, it would be like banning certain weapons on the server.
We could try and imposes a one Engineer per team limit on Capture the Flag, I think thats possible.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Spice must flow.

I'll never understand why people vote for a map and then leave when it wins. If you didn't want to play it, why did you vote for it?
I usually didn't. I see 7 options, decided "Hey, lets play some KOTH Nucleus", and then I see the text of "No Majority was picked please vote again".

1) BarnBliz
2) Nightfall

Me: I hate both those maps D:

Drkirby said:
We could try and imposes a one Engineer per team limit on Capture the Flag, I think thats possible.
I think a whole lot of maps become more interesting with no engineers. But without engineers, I think you also have to limit/remove scouts. their speed makes them OP without the hard counter of a Sentry.

Giard

Bakphoon said:
Do not Craft hats from Metal, and don't trade Hats away for weapons.

The only tip i can give you for engi is: Watch out for spies and spycheck everyone who is nearing you and your buildings.
Thanks for the tips. I'm already hitting anyone coming close to me or my buildings with my good ol' Southern Hospitality (or Gunslinger when I'm attacking).

I try to build my sentries in spots hidden from sight, like behind boxes so that people can't see it before they move in front of it. Somehow I feel like I'm one of the only engineers doing that...most people I play with seem to put their sentries in plain sight. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Valve servers...they seem to have a bad reputation here.

Sianos

Played some Badwater on a Valve server looking to practice basic spying: instead, I got a great match where everyone worked together and was willing to switch classes when needed. Teams were balanced with balanced amounts of classes and every match came down to the wire.

Some great moments were when defending last the other Engies and I all worked together, repairing and building each other's gear while creatively moving that gear up. Together we weathered three coordinated uber pushes and multiple other pushes to win the game. Another great one was on offense, when the whole team worked together to take down the sentries defending second to last (literaly all twelve of us) and pushed the cart through in one push.

Of course, it wasn't as magical as the Jank, but it was really impressive for a Valve server.

It also helped that I was awake. :p

Forkball said:
I'm against taking official maps off the server, it would be like banning certain weapons on the server.

Yeah, I agree for the most part, although I'd be perfectly fine if we banned Dustbowl. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
It was made by LeMeuiller, so of course it's fun.
Especially when one team is about to win, but the cart glitches for 2.5 minutes on a downhill slope and refuses to move. Or when someone gets stuck in geometry on top of the cart. >_>

Sianos

Dreams-Visions said:
some people like 2Fort, man. From what I see, the dedicated 2Fort servers are never lacking players. Much to the chagrin of TF2GAF.

I play them from time to time when I want to practice my sniper aim or something.

I actually used to like 2Fort (with Engie and Sniper limits) when I was new to TF2.

I have since grown out of that phase. :p It just gets too repetitive after a while.

Plr_2fort sounds interesting, though. Curious how that works.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Giard said:
I try to build my sentries in spots hidden from sight, like behind boxes so that people can't see it before they move in front of it. Somehow I feel like I'm one of the only engineers doing that...most people I play with seem to put their sentries in plain sight. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Valve servers...they seem to have a bad reputation here.

It's a mix. Sometimes a "hidden" spot is prime for the enemy to safely drop stickies in front of, making the sentry incredibly vulnerable. And a sentry in the open, but using the Wrangler, is pretty safe and pretty potent.

Really, you just have to play on good servers and pay attention to where sentry nests are being placed. If there's a sentry that's really holding down an area, it's probably because it's a good spot. It takes forever, but you learn where to put them.

Mini-sentries, though, all bets are off. I've found they're best in plain view, or slightly hidden- somewhere that a lot of distracted enemies are going to be. Don't get too clever with those, they're trash. Who cares if they blow it up, just build another.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, the worse is putting a Mini Sentry in what should be a good spot, but seeing enemies on the opposite side of the room walking past it without it engaging.

Someone got me in a trade and threw up a Strange Revolver and a Strange Minigun and asked for my Big Kill. Then he said, "The more kills you get with these weapons the more damage it does!".

Bwahahaha!

I also got a great compliment in a Valve server on Gravelpit saying, "Artist carried you guys". I did kind of have 100 points more than everyone else ... :3

/endjournal

ArtistDude88 said:
Someone got me in a trade and threw up a Strange Revolver and a Strange Minigun and asked for my Big Kill. Then he said, "The more kills you get with these weapons the more damage it does!".

Bwahahaha!

I also got a great compliment in a Valve server on Gravelpit saying, "Artist carried you guys". I did kind of have 100 points more than everyone else ... :3

/endjournal
Love valve servers! :p
One of them I had some aimbot on my team and he was getting all the kills. This was pissing me off so as a spy I just spawn camped. Got me to 70 points! But the hacker had like 180 lol. Also most of the team only had 10-25 points.
Reported him I hope the others on the server did the same.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sgt.Pepper said:
I wonder if Valve will ever make new achievements? With all the new weapons you could easily make tons of new ones.
I am hoping so, we have been getting a few more at a trickle. Maybe during the next big update.

ArtistDude88 said:

Bwahahaha!

/endjournal
you know why we get trade requests like that?

because for every 10 of us that knows better there is:

2011082600002y.jpg

That was a Fancy Fedora with Orbiting Fire. Dude was only playing the game for 15 hours or so, lifetime.

smh.

JackEtc

Dreams-Visions said:
you know why we get trade requests like that?

because for every 10 of us that knows better there is:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6967/2011082600002y.jpg[IMG]

That was a Fancy Fedora with Orbiting Fire. Dude was only playing the game for 15 hours or so, lifetime.

smh.[/QUOTE]

I AM SO JEALOUS.

How's your conscious feel after that one?

FFS, Dreams. That's terrible, lol.

If someone offered me an unusual for a few random weapons, I think I'd be too nice and reject the offer and tell the dude it's worth a lot more. D:

Sianos

Most of the people on the servers I fequent don't trade, and the ones that do are moderately smart about it. Did get a strange for one of my spare Postal Pummelers once, which was nice.

Do you just ask random players with hats to trade and hope they agree while spinning the worth of the items? :p

Forkball

Facepunch has a huge thread where they post ripoff trades. I've seen some crazy stuff, including a 1:1 weapon trade for a Big Kill. I showed it to Artist and he wept.

mask1.png

7.png

ghost_buddy_by_ducksink-d483baj.png

tf2_the_highland_howitzer_by_elbagast-d3ftbbf.png

63aa5.png

lYJrLc.png

promo.png

fedc304d45c7ce6bfabb435ad6809.jpg

pbjysd.png

m8mv3.png

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you big CS or Quake players back in the day find your skills transferred over to TF2?

I remember some random dude I was on tf2lobby with had only a few hours played, but this fucker owned the other team! He was a solly and after wiping them out, he switched to sniper (so we had 2 scouts, 1 solly, one demo, one medic) and we were still whipping the other team. I asked if he had another account, but all he said was he 'played a lot of cs'

I had to learn everything from scratch since I can't play most fps games. I picked up the most from watching others.

I think Java was in one of the first games I played and I think I only friended him cause he had a gaf tag.

How the hell do you all know Java? I met most of you through him and his server.

Dreams-Visions said:
lol, you guys aren't looking closely.

My Steam name is Dreams-Visions. I was not involved in that trade.

I realized it wasn't you... Was just stating to you that that is terrible D:

And those Pyro items are bad. C+ to the modeler for trying, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find it very odd that people in the F7 server are complaining about the Sydney Sleepee Set, a year after it came out. I thought they were complaing about the Machina at first.

And that they think it only came out 3 months ago.

Drkirby said:
I find it very odd that people in the F7 server are complaining about the Sydney Sleepee Set, a year after it came out. I thought they were complaing about the Machina at first.

And that they think it only came out 3 months ago.
I love that set. Fun when you're in te mood for it. The loss of headshots makes for a big sacrifice though.

Giard

Charron said:
It's a mix. Sometimes a "hidden" spot is prime for the enemy to safely drop stickies in front of, making the sentry incredibly vulnerable. And a sentry in the open, but using the Wrangler, is pretty safe and pretty potent.

Really, you just have to play on good servers and pay attention to where sentry nests are being placed. If there's a sentry that's really holding down an area, it's probably because it's a good spot. It takes forever, but you learn where to put them.

Mini-sentries, though, all bets are off. I've found they're best in plain view, or slightly hidden- somewhere that a lot of distracted enemies are going to be. Don't get too clever with those, they're trash. Who cares if they blow it up, just build another.

I don't really know which server is good and which isn't though. Is there an easy way to find out?

Yeah, mini-sentries I put anywhere. If they get 1 kill I'm happy. :p Putting them behind enemy lines is always fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I just got a nice trade IMO, got 3 keys for Half Life 1. Had that extra copy of HL1 for months now. Lets see what I'll get, I am going to get hold of 3 Engy crates and see if I can get some Wrenches.

Edit: Jag and 2 Shotguns. Alright.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Valve will ever release something like "Strange Paint", to be able to turn promotional weapons into strange weapons.

Forkball

UnluckyKate said:
I wonder why is there still not a second MISC place for every character...
From a July 30th blog post...

Note: The Scout is shown equipped with TWO miscellaneous slot items. We realize this is currently IMPOSSIBLE. After firing the artist responsible, we are now working on making that artist's vision a reality.
Now working = Haven't Started = Valve Time = 2012/Never

Drkirby said:
Likely is going to be a part of some big update, that will change the equipment UI.
Someone on Facepunch made a ton of styles for already existing hats, and was baffled when they weren't in the Uber update. He e-mailed someone and Valve said that they didn't have enough room so it will be included in the "next update." Sure enough it hasn't come yet, unless he was referring to the next major update.

The next big update could be focused on aesthetics, hence the new styles and 2nd misc slot. Plus you've got to imagine they have a huge backlog of hats that they haven't uploaded yet. I think Halloween is a big possibility for the next huge update. As you've seen from my previous posts, people have made so many good Halloween submissions that Valve can't ignore them.

I JUST WANT RAID MODE IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR VALVE?

ALSO PORTAL 2 DLC

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Valve must be sitting on mountains of weapons and hats at this point. I am still wondering when we will get the stuff leaked in the F2P video.

Zomba13

Drkirby said:
I wonder if Valve will ever release something like "Strange Paint", to be able to turn promotional weapons into strange weapons.
I just want to paint my weapons.

I want my Pyro to have a pink mail box.

Top Bottom