• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

Relax.MX said:
Second time in the GAF server...sooooo good :)

EDIT: No problem if i add you guys?
You need to pay more attention when you're scoped. I watched a spy shoot you and you didn't react. You even unscoped and fired another shot as he kept shooting you. :p

Relax.MX said:
Second time in the GAF server...sooooo good :)

EDIT: No problem if i add you guys?

I have yet to have one of these dudes deny me a friend request....they all pretty kickass except for crushed and qot...they both cool personality wise but suk playing against so dnt add them...JP add every1 they all cool

Tunavi

Banned
Chinner said:
welps looks like this thread is turning into a huge circlejerk just like the halo threads did. what a shame.
Chinner said:
seriously the halo thread is horrible please dont let it happen here.
Chinner said:
seriously guys, just don't become like the halo thread. i like you guys i know i can trust you bros. just don't become like the halo guys.
you mad?

Salsa

oh god i just realized that fuckin Deus Ex made me forget about playing the game on its birthday noooooo

was there any permanent item involved?

Acerac

Banned
SalsaShark said:
oh god i just realized that fuckin Deus Ex made me forget about playing the game on its birthday noooooo

was there any permanent item involved?
There was a birthday hat given out, though they started handing them out a day before the actual birthday and I don't know that they've stopped yet.

*Logs on an idling account, gets nothing*

Hmm... I sure hope you got your birthday hat yesterday.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Just got steam and built a new pc (using a HD5450 until i can afford a better card)

Anyway i need some TF2 friends and dudes to gift me games!

Add away, Kentpaul12

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Can some idle master here tell me how to not get this stupid "item schema isn't up to date" crap when I'm idling? It's frustrating as hell leaving it on over night and not getting a single item.

hiryu

NameGenerated said:
Can some idle master here tell me how to not get this stupid "item schema isn't up to date" crap when I'm idling? It's frustrating as hell leaving it on over night and not getting a single item.

I usually notice this right after a TF2 patch. It usually goes away the next day.

BTW, I'm FLYINGRHIN0 on steam and the GAF server is probably my favorite TF2 server to play on.

Anyone want to give me a non-troll answer as to what FOV I should use?

I've been using the default 75 but someone mentioned that it is awful.

Rickenslacker said:
90, max that slider out. Gives you better peripheral view.

Not sure if it was the new FOV, or the jank, but I tried 90 while going scout and almost got motion sickness. It felt like the scout movement lagged in comparison to the map. Almost as if I was moving the map ahead a bit first, and then moving the scout. It was a noticeable lag.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Obsessed said:
Anyone want to give me a non-troll answer as to what FOV I should use?

I've been using the default 75 but someone mentioned that it is awful.

As high as possible.

A greater FOV increases your peripheral vision so you can see more of the area around you.

Yeef

Got an engineer cap hat drop. TF2's been pretty generous with the hat drops lately, it seems. I've gotten maybe 8~10 in the last 2 months or so.

Also, I'm going through and adding images for all the stuff that doesn't already have it on the stats site. I'm tired of seeing that generic ribbon!

Obsessed said:
Not sure if it was the new FOV, or the jank, but I tried 90 while going scout and almost got motion sickness. It felt like the scout movement lagged in comparison to the map. Almost as if I was moving the map ahead a bit first, and then moving the scout. It was a noticeable lag.
That lag sounds like jank, but some people do get motion sickness from the narrower view of a 90 FOV.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeef said:
Also, I'm going through and adding images for all the stuff that doesn't already have it on the stats site. I'm tired of seeing that generic ribbon!

Oh thank god, that was driving me nuts. Even just the blank cap point thing is better than the ribbon. Also I got 42 spanks yesterday, I think I can do better.

Clydefrog

Yeef said:
Got an engineer cap hat drop. TF2's been pretty generous with the hat drops lately, it seems. I've gotten maybe 8~10 in the last 2 months or so.

Surely this is total over several accounts, correct? One account should not get 8-10 hats in 2 months.

XeroSauce

Yeef said:
You need to pay more attention when you're scoped. I watched a spy shoot you and you didn't react. You even unscoped and fired another shot as he kept shooting you. :p

lol that was definitely me. He was owning our team.

Yeef

Clydefrog said:
Surely this is total over several accounts, correct? One account should not get 8-10 hats in 2 months.
yeah, that's over 8 accounts, but on 2 or 3 different occasions I've gotten 2 hats drops back to back on the same account.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Widowmaker is clearly designed for you to shoot while standing next to a dispenser. It is like the Anti-Gunslinger, rather then encourage you to get on the battle field, it encourages you to defend your gear. Same with the Short Circuit.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
The Widowmaker is clearly designed for you to shoot while standing next to a dispenser. It is like the Anti-Gunslinger, rather then encourage you to get on the battle field, it encourages you to defend your gear. Same with the Short Circuit.
That doesn't make sense. If you're close to a dispenser anyway, the shotgun can get the same results without wasting metal. If you're so overrun that you need more than 6 shots not having to reload isn't going to help you.

The Widowmaker is more like the Bazaar Bargain. You get big rewards (extra metal, infinite clip) if you can control your shots and your aim is true. Otherwise you get a significant downside. The one change I'd like to see for the widowmaker is to make each shot cost 50 metal instead of 60. That means you get 4 shots at full metal and 2 if you just plopped down a mini-sentry. At 60 you only get 1 shot with a mini sentry which is way too low.

Barring that, making the metal you gain from the widowmaker allow you to store up to 300 metal instead of 200. Kind of like overheal. So picking up ammo and fallen weapons would still cap at 200, but any excess metal from the widowmaker that would put you over 200 gets added to your reserve.

I started a 2nd collection of all weapons on my idle account a while back, but now I'm not sure if I want to keep'em. Sure it'd be nice to have 1 of each item extra just in case new weapons come out and I need for recipes, but, I'm looking at... *counts*... 28 scraps, which is very tempting. What to do?!

ArtistDude88 said:
I started a 2nd collection of all weapons on my idle account a while back, but now I'm not sure if I want to keep'em. Sure it'd be nice to have 1 of each item extra just in case new weapons come out and I need for recipes, but, I'm looking at... *counts*... 28 scraps, which is very tempting. What to do?!
Unless you're in a rush or otherwise feel the urge to get something, sit on them. You can monetize them or turn them into metal at any point.

I'm starting to think that tf2 item mining would be far more lucrative than bitcoin mining. Hell, tf2 items are probably more of a currency than bitcoins.

Just had a good run with the Pyro. First time messing around with the Homewreaker and I realized it can be a lifesaver when you're playing defense. I'll probably stick with it when I'm not using the degreaser.

Proven

Yeef said:
That doesn't make sense. If you're close to a dispenser anyway, the shotgun can get the same results without wasting metal. If you're so overrun that you need more than 6 shots not having to reload isn't going to help you.

The Widowmaker is more like the Bazaar Bargain. You get big rewards (extra metal, infinite clip) if you can control your shots and your aim is true. Otherwise you get a significant downside. The one change I'd like to see for the widowmaker is to make each shot cost 50 metal instead of 60. That means you get 4 shots at full metal and 2 if you just plopped down a mini-sentry. At 60 you only get 1 shot with a mini sentry which is way too low.

Barring that, making the metal you gain from the widowmaker allow you to store up to 300 metal instead of 200. Kind of like overheal. So picking up ammo and fallen weapons would still cap at 200, but any excess metal from the widowmaker that would put you over 200 gets added to your reserve.
The Widowmaker is like the Bazaar Bargain, but I think it's just about perfect the way it is. Unlike with the Frontier Justice, you can't spam mini sentries and still get a reward, so you have to be more careful with their placement. I don't even lay down minis unless I'm near free ammo outside of emergencies anyway. It's limited to 3 shots just like the FJ, and 60 ammo links to the 60 base damage. If they wanted to make people happy with less ammo cost, they'd probably also lower the base damage, which I suppose I could live with. Another possible change, when you have less than 60 metal, you finish off your metal but then get a much reduced base damage for your pellets, or less pellets fired overall.

If you're an Engy that prioritizes getting a dispenser up for your team (which I find more useful on certain CTF and KotH maps), you're fine anyway. What I'd like to see is a new ammo mule wrench that gave you +50 or +100 max ammo, along with +25 health. It would make dispensers deploy and level up faster, mini sentry takes 5 seconds to spawn, and I don't think the tele needs to be given a downside too, but perhaps it needs more metal to upgrade or maxes out at level 2. That would give the type of synergy I think the Widowmaker needs to properly compete with the FJ+Gunslinger.

Playing Spy on a Valve server (especially Saharan Spy) definitely should be recognized as a form of therapy, or stress relief.

3 engineers on Blu team's last point? Stab. Stab. Stab. Sap. Sap. Sap. WEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.

I just confirmed that the game doesn't save your stats until you die. Steamrolled a map as a Sniper with 13 headshots and didn't save it. =(

It just saved the number of kills. It didn't save the longest time alive either.

Obsessed said:
Playing Spy on a Valve server (especially Saharan Spy) definitely should be recognized as a form of therapy, or stress relief.

3 engineers on Blu team's last point? Stab. Stab. Stab. Sap. Sap. Sap. WEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.
Those servers...I refuse to play Medic on any of them anymore. People do the dumbest shit when they have a Medic in tow.

Being healed? ---> Rush into the MIDDLE of a massive firefight.

Uber charge @ 90%? --> Rush into the MIDDLE of a massive firefight.

Being healed? --> Rocket/Sticky jump where I can't go...leaving me to fend for myself in retreat.

It's like the digital of liquid courage. Instead of people remaining conservative and making sure they don't die, they decide to ride the shit until the wheels fall off to get that one last kill. And trust me, the wheels almost always fall off, leaving me to fend for my fucking self. I'm a good shot with that Blutslauger, but I shouldn't be in the position in the first fucking place.

And let's not even get started on how people seem to forget that the Medic is defenseless when he's healing. How about you dummies think about shooting the pyro before he gets to me? maybe turning around every once in a fucking while to make sure a Spy isn't bearing down on me?

If I counted the number of times I died just before I could uber because the guy I was healing decided to press his luck and rush heavy encampments, I'd be even more irritated.

/vent

Dreams-Visions said:
Those servers...I refuse to play Medic on any of them anymore. People do the dumbest shit when they have a Medic in tow.

It's like digital courage. Instead of people remaining conservative and making sure they don't die, they decide to ride the shit until the wheels fall off to get that one last kill. And trust me, the wheels almost always fall off, leaving me to fend for my fucking self. and I'm a good shot with that Blutslauger, but I shouldn't be in the position in the first fucking place.

And let's not even get started on how people seem to forget that the Medic is defenseless when he's healing. How about you dummies think about shooting the pyro before he gets to me? maybe turning around every once in a fucking while to make sure a Spy isn't bearing down on me?

/vent

I know that feel, bro.

The medics aren't innocent either, I can't keep track of how many times they'll latch onto a fully healed Heavy and ignore me when I have a sliver of health. Even though I'm spamming the medic button and jumping right in front of them. It's rare for them to heal their fellow medics as well, which can really get on my nerves since I'll make it a point to top them off every chance I get.

Dreams-Visions said:
big(justified) rant

I still get jerky when I have a medic following me. My usual course of action during a Uber is lvl 2or3 sentries (id rather drop a demo,heavy,pyro b4 a lvl1) 1st and immediate threats.....after that im like derp kill everything... I need to work on that i think.

Friday night TF2 is always fun so looking forward to later

Tkawsome said:
I know that feel, bro.

The medics aren't innocent either, I can't keep track of how many times they'll latch onto a fully healed Heavy and ignore me when I have a sliver of health. Even though I'm spamming the medic button and jumping right in front of them. It's rare for them to heal their fellow medics as well, which can really get on my nerves since I'll make it a point to top them off every chance I get.
Interesting point. You know what I find is that when there's a crowd it's very difficult to get the game to select the right person to begin to heal. I can't count the number of times I wanted to heal person x and aimed at them, but the beam went to someone else over and over as a dude burned to death. not sure if there's a better way to deal with that, but yea.

If you need healing, try not to clump yourself in with others. the more separate you can be from other people in my view screen, the easier it is for me to heal you.

Professor Beef said:
I had the opposite problem last night. I had full charge with FOUR players around me, and not a single one of them wanted to do anything.

:|
and that too! Usually when I'm working with a soldier who isn't communicating well I at least try to count how many shots he's fired. because ubering Mr. Soldier when he's on his last round means 1/3 of the uber time is going to be taken up by him reloading. :-/

With everyone else, I just assume they have enough ammo.

JackFrost said:
I still get jerky when I have a medic following me. My usual course of action during a Uber is lvl 2or3 sentries (id rather drop a demo,heavy,pyro b4 a lvl1) 1st and immediate threats.....after that im like derp kill everything... I need to work on that i think.

Friday night TF2 is always fun so looking forward to later
cheers!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's cool just heal me.

Don't kritz me though. I think stickies have the range of a small nuclear blast and don't hit anything.

Then I spam 4 nades hitting nothing, or carefully aim 1 or 2 and use the whole kritz.

Dreams-Visions said:

lol.
Im a little hungover now but nothing a little hair of the dog wont fix later.

I was playing a few rounds as demo before and my aim getting a little better as well as my jumps. How long do stickies last for assuming I dont die,dont drop more then 8,and dont set them off?

Dreams-Visions said:
Unless you're in a rush or otherwise feel the urge to get something, sit on them. You can monetize them or turn them into metal at any point.

Ok. I did some organizing, and now I have a fairly respectable 2nd collection of weapons :)

Dreams-Visions said:

Being healed? --> Rocket/Sticky jump where I can't go...leaving me to fend for myself in retreat.

It's like the digital of liquid courage. Instead of people remaining conservative and making sure they don't die, they decide to ride the shit until the wheels fall off to get that one last kill. And trust me, the wheels almost always fall off, leaving me to fend for my fucking self. I'm a good shot with that Blutslauger, but I shouldn't be in the position in the first fucking place.

If I counted the number of times I died just before I could uber because the guy I was healing decided to press his luck and rush heavy encampments, I'd be even more irritated.

/vent

This all happens on the GAF server too. Not as frequently, but it happens.

Also one thing that royally pisses me off. POCKET FUCKING MEDICS that ignore any advice you give them. I asked the fellow medic to heal me 8 times and he just ignored me and continued to pocket a heavy. Even worse when they aren't pocket medics but they just refuse to heal fellow medics. Do they think my healing factor is that powerful?

Worse are morons that I am healing that take health packs from me... A scout I was healing had 116 hp and grabbed the health pack while I was on fire with 20 hp left....

Even worse than that are demomen/soldiers who when you uber them, PLAY LIKE THEY ARE AT 10 HP and run away, or stay in a corner and try to shoot and retreat.

Obsessed said:
This all happens on the GAF server too. Not as frequently, but it happens.

Also one thing that royally pisses me off. POCKET FUCKING MEDICS that ignore any advice you give them. I asked the fellow medic to heal me 8 times and he just ignored me and continued to pocket a heavy.
lol

herp-derping medics are probably the worst. their presence offers what amounts to a false sense of security.

Top Bottom