• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

Proven said:
It was worst for me. Most of the times he killed me right after I spotted him. And he killed poor TK once or twice just for following me. And being a Medic.

Also, for the longest time I've never gotten Dance, Dance, Immolation, the Pyro achievement that asks you to provide a deathcam for each of your weapon taunts. Basically, I had 2 out of 3 and I couldn't tell which was left, and I eventually forgot about.

Pariah goes and kills me right after I hit him with a crit flare. He's burning out, doing the shotgun taunt. He dies while I'm still respawning, and I get the achievement. Crazy bug. But thanks!
The one where you taunt is Freezer Burn. The one where you kill someone while they taunt is Dance Dance Immolation.

Proven

Yeef said:
The one where you taunt is Freezer Burn. The one where you kill someone while they taunt is Dance Dance Immolation.
Oh. I see. I thought they were the same one for two years. Thanks Yeef.

I'll never get that achievement now...

XeroSauce

Proven said:
Oh. I see. I thought they were the same one for two years. Thanks Yeef.

I'll never get that achievement now...

When I know I'm gonna die from a Pyro after I kill him, I purposefully taunt to help that achievement in case they need it. I've gotten a few hearty thanks out of it.

Yeef

I recorded 3 replays tonight, but only one of them is usable. The first was, during hightower, there was a HUGE jank spike then afterwards i got attacked by egallagher, who was completely invisible. In the replay the jank spike is still there (everyone's just standing still for a few seconds), but he is visible. It may have been a problem with my video card. I've been getting driver crashes like once or twice a week for the last 3 weeks or so.

The second one was my super sneaky hiding spot on badwater that caught Borgnine off his guard. Whenever I try to open it TF2 just crashes with no error message.

This is the third one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVBnEk37VA&hd=1

Proven

I've been trying to remember to post this video for over a week now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBc6Jz0L9qA

Basic jist of it: Detonator jumps can get you about the height of a Scout's double jump, and if you have a wall you can forgo the height and go the length. Not a lot of maps have useable jump spots, and this video showcases a lot of the ones I already knew about, but I found two while playing on Thundermountain tonight so it's not all bad.

Not getting the 90 dmg crit flare is painful though. It's the only thing that keeps your DPS in line with Shotguns. I find myself going full jockey set half the time just for the extra speed to run and dodge with.

This may be a dumb question but if you're disguised as a spy and try to talk, does your text appear as the enemy you're disguised as?

XeroSauce

Tkawsome said:
This may be a dumb question but if you're disguised as a spy and try to talk, does your text appear as the enemy you're disguised as?

No. This is also true for voice: when you speak as a Spy and alltalk is on, your name and chat bubble will be colored as your original team, giving you away.

Proven said:
Pyro Detonator stuffs

I can't play Pyro anymore without the Detonator. I have so much maneuverability with it! So many fun places I can get to where Pyros are not expected :D I even got the Attendant set to go with it. So_Good.gif

Also, nothing like exploding a flare over a point of people and hearing all those DINGDINDINGDINGGDINGDINDIGNDING's

Sianos

Never tried out the Detonator, think I'll pick one up. Can you to still get a midair axetinguish using the Detonator jump?

ArtistDude88 said:
I can't play Pyro anymore without the Detonator. I have so much maneuverability with it! So many fun places I can get to where Pyros are not expected :D I even got the Attendant set to go with it. So_Good.gif

Also, nothing like exploding a flare over a point of people and hearing all those DINGDINDINGDINGGDINGDINDIGNDING's

So...the Detonator is good? I've never been able to figure out how to use it properly. Any advice? Vids?

Bakphoon

AcciDante said:
Why is everyone getting hat drops?! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, HAT GOD!?

If it helps you, i havent gotten any hat drops either :/

Edit:

MarkMclovin said:
Since June, I've had 1. And I have 4 accounts.

i had only one since june, too (but i have 2 accounts).

MarkMclovin said:
It's the same as the flare gun but when you fire the flare and then press right click, it detonates.

I know what it does, I just don't know how to use it effectively. It's always seemed like a slightly less useful Flare Gun to me.

MarkMclovin said:
Since June, I've had 1. And I have 4 accounts.

I joined after TF2 went F2P. Since then I've activated 3 more accounts, and I've gotten a total of 3 hat drops: Prairie Heel Biters, Noh Mercy, and just last night I got a Googly Gazer.

sixghost

Proven is that video from the beta? I haven't tried to use the detonater in a while, but those jumps seem way higher than I ever got.

divisionbyzorro said:
I know what it does, I just don't know how to use it effectively. It's always seemed like a slightly less useful Flare Gun to me.

The detonation make is instantly more useful doesn't it? Apart from that, I think they are exactly the same.

JackFrost said:
it deals mini-crit to onfire vics opposed to flare that deals crits

Yeah - 41 dmg on burning opponents versus 90 dmg.

I guess the Detonator is more used for control and mobility, while the Flare Gun is a straight killing weapon...maybe I should just practice with the Detonator more and try some jumps with it.

There are some neat places you can sneak into as Pyro that no one expects. I noted a couple examples when it was released:

jMReD.jpg

Getting into the attic on Gold Rush.

12482.png

Getting into the spiral staircase on Badwater.

However now that I got a Strange Flare Gun (134 kills and rising) I don't really want to go back. Plus the critical damage advantage is so worth it.

Blizzard

Banned
The biggest problem is the jump height. You could do fun or amusing things if you could say, jump onto the roof at the second cart point in badwater. I think that was possible in the beta. As it is, there isn't the fun and amusing and potentially very useful variety, and I feel like they toned the audio and visual indications down so it's really hard to tell if you even catch someone in the blast, plus the blast feels like it has a weird delay before it goes off.

So without fun, amusement, and usefulness, about all you're left with is a sound effect and occasional shortcuts!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeef said:
The second one was my super sneaky hiding spot on badwater that caught Borgnine off his guard. Whenever I try to open it TF2 just crashes with no error message.

Never happened then did it?

I saw your stupid trap laid up on the wall and I was ready to find a demoman just sitting in a corner. Of course you were using the black character to hide in the shadows under the stairs, because you're racist.

XeroSauce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eaaFjTeFc

I did a very simple Pyro how-to video with annotations. I've been reading up on video editing and I wanted to start making weapon guides so I wanted to keep this simple and see how it goes with this before I start doing music and heavy editing.

Any feedback is appreciated, it's only about 2 minutes and it features Borg getting reflected. :D

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Did you just call me a flaming soldier!? Server is filled with racists and homophobes.

Also I remember that exact death, in fact I remember every single time one of your has hurt me, and I do not forget. It's actually kind of funny, I had such a bad night last night, and now I come here in the morning to find all these videos of my struggles. Not haha funny but like cry funny you know.

I like your video, I hope when you do it for real you're not going to use annotations (I watched like a minute before I realized I had them off by default). Also for music I suggest some nu-metal.

I'm starting to like the Quick Fix. It really shines when an entire group needs to push. It seems to be the best gun for multi-ubering.

Though I wouldn't try taking down a large sentry nest with it...

Also I switched to The Overdose. I find the extra speed nice, and Vitasaw + Blutzraguer sounds like a recipe for disaster.

XeroSauce said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eaaFjTeFc

I did a very simple Pyro how-to video with annotations. I've been reading up on video editing and I wanted to start making weapon guides so I wanted to keep this simple and see how it goes with this before I start doing music and heavy editing.

Any feedback is appreciated, it's only about 2 minutes and it features Borg getting reflected. :D

my famiry enjoys the vid

I havent got 1 drop on my alt and i played for like 3hours last night and a few today :/

Acerac

Banned
AcciDante said:
Why is everyone getting hat drops?! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, HAT GOD!?
The only hat I've gotten recently is the heavy's Hitler hair. :(

I did get my first paint drop yesterday. Threw me off a bit.

divisionbyzorro said:
So...the Detonator is good? I've never been able to figure out how to use it properly. Any advice? Vids?

For jumps, I use it like a Soldier, and jump crouch for max height.

For lighting people on fire with the explosion, it's just practicing and getting use to the timing :D

Acerac

Banned
awwyeahgurrl said:
http://i.imgur.com/N2NTb.jpg[IMG]

The sad thing is they weren't even joking....[/QUOTE]
I'm not even sure what they'd hope to accomplish with such a build. Surely they couldn't hope to have a successful offense with that team.

It's pretty awesome that they're all using the ghostly gibus.

TGMIII

I honestly find it harder and harder to play for any prolonged period of time now, just the stupidity of some people is amazing. I'm not one to complain about new players but I mean fucking medics that just watch you die and then think it's cool to run in and spray needles everywhere then blame me for not protecting them.

Shotgun is very versatile and faster than the flaregun, but I find it hard to give up killing low HP classes super fast and without much trouble. I have killed a bunch of medics that are with a heavy by sneaking on them, burning the medic, airblast them and fire the flaregun. That kills them 90% of the time.

You can do it faster with the axtinguisher/postal pummeler, but that's a risky move when there are more than 2 combat classes next to the medic.

I like the flare gun but I could never get used to it. The shotgun just seems more reliable to me for getting some extra damage as you retreat or finishing enemies off. But that's because my aim is horrible.

Top Bottom