• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Kuro Madoushi said:
Assume Douche ringer usage. Hunt spy.

Despite all the comments here about douche ringers and spy checking, gaffers on the server still refuse to learn.

So here's a PSA

Spy checking = shooting/bumping into/ meleeing all teammates. Shooting into corners. Looking up. Watching for suspicious behaviour.

Dead ringer aka DR aka douche ringer aka loud decloak noise aka puff of smoke or sudden disappearance when a DR spy dies. He's not dead. He's invisible and running to health or ammo to fill his dr meter so he can douche again.

What you shoud do. Run for the nearest ammo/health. Shoot to try to locate spy (he can be set in fire and will show a blood animation if you hit him). Don't empty your clip though, likely he'll release dr and you'll have to fight him and it's better with a full clip.

Why? Cause if you don't then kiss your teles and medics goodbye.

Preaching to the choir buddy. I already do all that stuff now. In fact, as a Medic I will try to make sure I have a single pellet missing from my syringe gun so if need be I can pick up the ammo pack.

My only problem is how Metaphorically takes advantage of wonky knife hitboxes. I get how backstabbing works, I understand sidestabs exist, but it shouldn't exist to the point where I get backstabbed WHILE LOOKING AT HIS FUCKING FACE EYE TO EYE.

As a follow-up - if you are a Pyro and don't give each teammate you see a quick blast as you move through the map, you are a bad Pyro. Obviously if they're taking an action that a Spy couldn't (like firing their weapons) you can safely let them be, but usually all it takes is a half-decent Pyro to keep most spies at bay.

Maybe Valve should give Pyros a point on the scoreboard each time they set a spy on fire. Maybe that would be enough to incentivize random pyros to actively spycheck.

AcciDante

Obsessed said:
Preaching to the choir buddy. I already do all that stuff now. In fact, as a Medic I will try to make sure I have a single pellet missing from my syringe gun so if need be I can pick up the ammo pack.

My only problem is how Metaphorically takes advantage of wonky knife hitboxes. I get how backstabbing works, I understand sidestabs exist, but it shouldn't exist to the point where I get backstabbed WHILE LOOKING AT HIS FUCKING FACE EYE TO EYE.
He's backstabbing you metaphorically.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The following maps are terrible: cp_pilolukpass.

Also I tried to nominate Cashworks and it wasn't on the list.

divisionbyzorro said:
As a follow-up - if you are a Pyro and don't give each teammate you see a quick blast as you move through the map, you are a bad Pyro. Obviously if they're taking an action that a Spy couldn't (like firing their weapons) you can safely let them be, but usually all it takes is a half-decent Pyro to keep most spies at bay.

Maybe Valve should give Pyros a point on the scoreboard each time they set a spy on fire. Maybe that would be enough to incentivize random pyros to actively spycheck.

Also if you are a Pyro and your team is trying to push/capture a point and you can't get to the front lines don't just stand there and do nothing. Sweep behind you constantly.

Yeef

Proven said:
I had to switch to Pyro on Frontier because of spy troubles. Till then I was making a conscious effort to be medic.

Like seriously, I'm so wary of him when I'm anything buy pyro that when the server switched to Deadwood and i saw him on my team, I knew he was a spy (in this case it was a spy disguised as him).
A friend and I use this:
18920.png

It's normally $25, but it's lasted me a long time and I eventually gave it to my Dad.

Amazon has it on sale right now for about $17. Use your free Prime.
Those are the same ones I use at work (where I am now!). At home I use these:
turtle-beach-ps3-ear-force-p11-headset-sku-267462-large.gif

Borgnine said:
The following maps are terrible: cp_pilolukpass.

Also I tried to nominate Cashworks and it wasn't on the list.
I think you guys played Deadwood last night? The mapchooser is setup so that the last 2 map groups aren't available. So if you're playing a Stock King of the Hill map and just played a Custom Payload map before it neither Stock King of the Hill nor Custom Payload maps will be available in the vote.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I use this:
2e67rjl.jpg

+

21WGwS2owwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got a copy of Sing Star for $5 (Which I sold the game for $10 on Amazon), and the Metal Mic holder was $7 at the time (Amazon now charges $22 for it)

These are my Headphone:
21lxfR1UiSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Were $35, now $20.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeef said:
I think you guys played Deadwood last night? The mapchooser is setup so that the last 2 map groups aren't available. So if you're playing a Stock King of the Hill map and just played a Custom Payload map before it neither Stock King of the Hill nor Custom Payload maps will be available in the vote.

Oh right, I forgot Cashworks is a custom map, it was probably in a different menu.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
To be honest, I don't feel Cashworks is good enough for it.
It's ridiculously poorly optimized. If the kinks were ironed out it might stand a shot. In its current state, no way in hell.

Actually, I'm surprised that Frontier went official. I don't feel it's worthy, personally.

Proven

I feel the same way about Frontier. At the time I expected changes akin to what Freight got but it's more or less as is.

And I mix up Cashworks and Frontier, not Hoodoo, although I used to mix up the three when Hoodoo became official.

As for Spies, the only hard thing is that better Spies don't let themselves be seen often. Stabs off ledges or even coming around a corner walking behind your teammates as cover. Then, when you're on the frontlines your back is also most exposed. Spies on our server are good at this.

Then when I do get a whiff of a Spy and start chasing him, if I'm any class but Pyro I find myself with the feeling of time wasted from not being on the front lines. Spending more than five seconds in a panic looking for a Spy leaves your team open for a push, or takes up precious seconds on the clock.

And that's what the assassination classes excell at. Distracting you and wasting your time. So I don't like giving then that victory.

windz

I'm fairly new to the GAF server but not so much to TF2 and I must say the quality of players(overall skill) on GAF are alot higher than some of the other servers I frequent. As for spying, while the dead ringer is fun, I'm far more effective I find with the original invis watch. I like the playstyle it provides as well. I prefer picking and choosing specific times to go invis and when to appear, assuming the static ammo drops are there when I arrive. Avoiding players/picking up ammo as I go while invisible is pretty much second nature to me and while constant spy checking by pyros is annoying, it's definitely essential to do. Non-spy checking pyros are my best friend :p and they do a disservice to their team.

I find when a whole team is "looking" for me or aware I'm around to be pretty entertaining and enjoyable even when I get stomped. Trying to decide when to pick my fights and when to retreat, although there are times (cause I'm really aggressive) I get myself into situations where I know I'm screwed, so I do what I can to stab a couple people before getting lit up. Even if I can take down a few people knowing I will die shortly after is worthwhile just to thin out the push.

Looking forward to some games tonight assuming I'm not too busy.

Gav47

Can I get the IP addresses of the GAF and EU GAF servers?

Also, does anyone else have problems with saving and deleting servers from your favorites list?

Acerac

Banned
Gav47 said:
Can I get the IP addresses of the GAF and EU GAF servers?

Also, does anyone else have problems with saving and deleting servers from your favorites list?
They're posted on the first post in the thread. :)

Update

Team Fortress 2 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Added a checkbox to the Advanced Options dialog that will hide the HUD during freezecam screenshots
Added a checkbox to the Backpack dialog that will colorize items based on their quality
Fixed a server crash exploit caused by invalid player viewangles
Updated the color used for Strange quality items so it doesn't conflict with the color used for Unique quality items

Yeef said:
It's ridiculously poorly optimized. If the kinks were ironed out it might stand a shot. In its current state, no way in hell.

Actually, I'm surprised that Frontier went official. I don't feel it's worthy, personally.
Which is why I think it has a chance when garbage like Frontier becomes one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes, Frontier is cutting it, but Cashworks is even longer!

Don't like the new buttons in the backpack (Should be a little less visible), I do like the new Strange Color, and the ability to see all your item's rank is nice too.

Forkball

Update:

• Added a checkbox to the Advanced Options dialog that will hide the HUD during freezecam screenshots
• Added a checkbox to the Backpack dialog that will colorize items based on their quality
• Fixed a server crash exploit caused by invalid player viewangles
• Updated the color used for Strange quality items so it doesn't conflict with the color used for Unique quality items

Chinner

Banned
new update:
Team Fortress 2 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Added a checkbox to the Advanced Options dialog that will hide the HUD during freezecam screenshots
Added a checkbox to the Backpack dialog that will colorize items based on their quality
Fixed a server crash exploit caused by invalid player viewangles
Updated the color used for Strange quality items so it doesn't conflict with the color used for Unique quality items

Team Fortress 2
-Added a checkbox to the Advanced Options dialog that will hide the HUD during freezecam screenshots
-Added a checkbox to the Backpack dialog that will colorize items based on their quality
-Fixed a server crash exploit caused by invalid player viewangles
-Updated the color used for Strange quality items so it doesn't conflict with the color used for -Unique quality items

All the cool kids are doing it!

commissar

"Added a checkbox to the Advanced Options dialog that will hide the HUD during freezecam screenshots"

:O
I am really really happy about this

I'm surprised some of you didn't know I was ConBrio93/CornBurrito93.

Dinoslime should have given it away.

Also I love The Overdose, and now I see the beauty of the Ubersaw.

Yeef

So strange weapon names are orange instead of green now. I prefer the green. Which made me think of a horrible idea. Allow us to use paint on strange weapons. it won't affect the actual weapon, just the name.

I hope Valve isn't reading this.

Yeef said:
So strange weapon names are orange instead of green now. I prefer the green. Which made me think of a horrible idea. Allow us to use paint on strange weapons. it won't affect the actual weapon, just the name.

I hope Valve isn't reading this.

Whaaat?
They used to be green

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just an additional comment about Spies (specifically Dead Ringers) if you're playing Pyro - learn to watch the kill counter on the top right and occasionally checking the scoreboard. Good DR Saharan Spies will decimate your team, but they generally can't do shit if you're a Pyro paying attention to the little nuances.

just started playing TF2 and I am ashamed it took this long to try it out. The game is so good! is there a way to find out how the loot system works? i seemed to get a lot of drops the past few days and today I have logged about 4 hours without a drop.

I will have to try playing on the Gaf server (although i want to learn the classes more before getting completely owned by you guys).

Top Bottom