• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

brentech

Had a speed hacker using a spy on valve server just now. Faster than the only other speed hack I'd seen. This guy was blazing.

Kept showing kicked and then coming right back to server. There is no vote kick on those, so I'm not sure if that was something he did, or if the server will kick under certain conditions? It was pretty absurd, but they still lost the round somehow.

XeroSauce

brentech said:
Had a speed hacker using a spy on valve server just now. Faster than the only other speed hack I'd seen. This guy was blazing.

Kept showing kicked and then coming right back to server. There is no vote kick on those, so I'm not sure if that was something he did, or if the server will kick under certain conditions? It was pretty absurd, but they still lost the round somehow.

Out of all the people to speed hack with, he chooses Spy?

I'd troll people with Scout. Tell them I got an Unusual BONK! that lets me run at super speed.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So many announcements. I have a human revolution to start you bastards!

Bonk can't save me now

E588193B8AD4AEF753E16160CEFD3EC13B608D6B

Proven

sixghost said:
Proven is that video from the beta? I haven't tried to use the detonater in a while, but those jumps seem way higher than I ever got.
It's from after the beta. I tried a few of the jumps in the video myself. You really can get Scout height, and it's been known since near release that those same jumps on Gravelpit B with a Scout will get you to the roof of the house.

What I didn't realize was that the flare explosion was greatly reduced on a hit, so I have to actually practice that alt-fire to maximize DPS.

And thanks for those other shortcuts Grimm. I figured the Badwater one but I hadn't thought of the Goldrush one.
XeroSauce said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eaaFjTeFc

I did a very simple Pyro how-to video with annotations. I've been reading up on video editing and I wanted to start making weapon guides so I wanted to keep this simple and see how it goes with this before I start doing music and heavy editing.

Any feedback is appreciated, it's only about 2 minutes and it features Borg getting reflected. :D
Not bad...

When it comes to annotations, always remember that 1. Mobile devices don't get them and 2. The length of time the words should stay on the screen should be around the time it takes you to read it out loud twice at average to quick speed.
Obsessed said:
I'm starting to like the Quick Fix. It really shines when an entire group needs to push. It seems to be the best gun for multi-ubering.

Though I wouldn't try taking down a large sentry nest with it...

Also I switched to The Overdose. I find the extra speed nice, and Vitasaw + Blutzraguer sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Welcome to enlightenment.

Kulock said:
This is nifty: http://twitter.com/#!/tf2notification

Tweets TF2 updates. Like the item schema update that just happened.

Other ways to get notifications too, like Facebook and Steam. Probably good if you're trying to get numbered craft items.
Annoying that there's a desktop app for Windows and not for Mac, because the Windows version uses Growl, which was originally a Mac framework, and they have an iOS app, so that means they already have Xcode, so they could make a Mac app if they wanted to, but just haven't yet... Anyway, joined the Steam group.

so, ive had tf2 since launch but only started really getting into it within the last week. I have a mann co supply crate in my backpack just sitting there, taunting me. How do you guys deal with it? I'm not paying $2.50 to open it but i sure as shit am annoyed that it's just sitting there all useless like

XeroSauce

Freedom = $1.05 said:
so, ive had tf2 since launch but only started really getting into it within the last week. I have a mann co supply crate in my backpack just sitting there, taunting me. How do you guys deal with it? I'm not paying $2.50 to open it but i sure as shit am annoyed that it's just sitting there all useless like

Don't do it.
Delete it. Tade it to someone. Just don't buy the key.

It's not worth the spiral.

Wow we had some lagfree attack/defend games tonight. I actually managed to aim my Blutsrauger. Helped me survive some surprise Pyro attacks.

Tip for Thoraxes: Kill the engineer, then go for the sentry. Dude was obviously going to be able to whack fast enough to outdo your sticky damage.

Thoraxes

I just did it before the map change.
BAM! Used my electric thingy to kill fallengorn!

Obsessed said:
Wow we had some lagfree attack/defend games tonight. I actually managed to aim my Blutsrauger. Helped me survive some surprise Pyro attacks.

Tip for Thoraxes: Kill the engineer, then go for the sentry. Dude was obviously going to be able to whack fast enough to outdo your sticky damage.
Yeah I know, I just misplaced 2 of them too far to the right.
3 stickies is enough to fully kill a sentry in one explosion.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Freedom = $1.05 said:

Here's what most of our backpacks look like:

WUybE.jpg

Acerac

Banned
On the topic of crates, does anyone want tons of them for free? I'm sick of them littering up my bags, and I don't have the heart to delete them.

I'd post this in the trade thread except for the fact that I don't even want anything back for them. I just want them out of my bags.

Proven

Acerac said:
On the topic of crates, does anyone want tons of them for free? I'm sick of them littering up my bags, and I don't have the heart to delete them.

I'd post this in the trade thread except for the fact that I don't even want anything back for them. I just want them out of my bags.
I wonder if we could have a designated crate trader who just goes around once a week trading all 200 and so crates from the GAF community for nifty hats and extra metal to prepare for updates.

It would be a horrible job.

Meta only uses the DR, so if you shoot him, go grab the nearest ammo box around you quickly before he does. Then hope he's not using the goddamn Enforcer and 2 hits you (that fucking gun needs a nerf so bad). Also don't chase him up stairs because he likes to jump stab.

Acerac

Banned
Sorry Cuban, but Bakphoon beat you to the punch. He also generously gave me a strange pistol for my crap... err crates after I had unloaded all my extras with no incentive other than pure generosity.

Thanks again! :D

Bakphoon

Acerac said:

Sianos

Kuro Madoushi said:
Damn that Steel round. Pay the hell attention when I say THERE'S A FUCKING ENGIE GOING TO E!

Metaphorically, you lurker you....
That round was amazing. :p

At the end Blue had x12 capping E with only two Scouts.

It helped that our team had an average of three snipers (at one point we had six). :(

Chesskid1

Banned
so apparently i found a hat? was browsing in my inventory randomly and i spotted some engie hat. i dont really know how the item system that well yet, but i'm guessing it dropped and i didn't even know it. says it costs $7.49 in the store so i ain't complaining, even though it's rather plain :D it's just weird cause i always see the item drop popups + it should of dropped today/yesterday according to my backpack and i recognize all my other drops from those days, but not the hat. *shrug*

first time i've seen that bunny hat while playing on gaf's today and it is pretty much the best hat i've seen.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ArtistDude88 said:
Meta only uses the DR, so if you shoot him, go grab the nearest ammo box around you quickly before he does. Then hope he's not using the goddamn Enforcer and 2 hits you (that fucking gun needs a nerf so bad). Also don't chase him up stairs because he likes to jump stab.
Fucker sidestabbed me on steel. Honestly, I see this dude pop out the corner, I know I turnes but valve's fuzzy logix counted it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Chesskid1 said:
so apparently i found a hat? was browsing in my inventory randomly and i spotted some engie hat. i dont really know how the item system that well yet, but i'm guessing it dropped and i didn't even know it. says it costs $7.49 in the store so i ain't complaining, even though it's rather plain :D it's just weird cause i always see the item drop popups + it should of dropped today/yesterday according to my backpack and i recognize all my other drops from those days, but not the hat. *shrug*

first time i've seen that bunny hat while playing on gaf's today and it is pretty much the best hat i've seen.
Yep, Max's Head is a nice hat, sadly for most people the trading community put a super high price tag on it. I am sure about half of the total number of the hat is owned by hoarders.

Proven said:
Metaphorically can make me rage. That is all.

I know he explained how backstabs work, but it is still annoying as fuck when it registers a backstab while I am looking directly at his motherfucking face.

Also Metaphorically becomes a bit easier to deal with if you keep track of your kill/assist count.

Obsessed said:
Also Metaphorically becomes a bit easier to deal with if you keep track of your kill/assist count.

You have no idea how much I want a client-side plugin to track my kills/assists and automatically alert the chat when I pop a Dead Ringer, or get backstabbed by Your Eternal Reward.

divisionbyzorro said:
You have no idea how much I want a client-side plugin to track my kills/assists and automatically alert the chat when I pop a Dead Ringer, or get backstabbed by Your Eternal Reward.

Just use a mic.

Also what mic/headphone combination would you guys recommend for a poor college student? I don't want the game to sound like ass, nor do I want my voice to sound like a jumbled mess.

Proven

Sgt.Pepper said:
That's why you play pyro and airblast him into a corner so his DR can't save him.
I had to switch to Pyro on Frontier because of spy troubles. Till then I was making a conscious effort to be medic.

Like seriously, I'm so wary of him when I'm anything buy pyro that when the server switched to Deadwood and i saw him on my team, I knew he was a spy (in this case it was a spy disguised as him).
Obsessed said:
Just use a mic.

Also what mic/headphone combination would you guys recommend for a poor college student? I don't want the game to sound like ass, nor do I want my voice to sound like a jumbled mess.
A friend and I use this:
18920.png

It's normally $25, but it's lasted me a long time and I eventually gave it to my Dad.

Amazon has it on sale right now for about $17. Use your free Prime.

So much goodness today. I had enough for 2 weapon crafts for pyro today. It was a risk of one refined.

I crafted once, got a Maul. Smiled.

Crafted twice, got another maul. Sold for a refined. :D

Awesomesauce. Used that ref to buy myself a Strange Jag. Woop woop.

Sciz

ArtistDude88 said:
Also don't chase him up stairs because he likes to jump stab.
Bah. Spies that try to stairstab do it so reliably that you can just start shooting in the air as you go up and kill them before they hit the ground.

Proven

Sciz said:
Bah. Spies that try to stairstab do it so reliably that you can just start shooting in the air as you go up and kill them before they hit the ground.
Pretty much this. I never fear the stair stab. It's gotten so common from above average spies that even people on the 360 version tried to pull it off on me before I stopped playing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
I know he explained how backstabs work, but it is still annoying as fuck when it registers a backstab while I am looking directly at his motherfucking face.

Assume Douche ringer usage. Hunt spy.

Despite all the comments here about douche ringers and spy checking, gaffers on the server still refuse to learn.

So here's a PSA

Spy checking = shooting/bumping into/ meleeing all teammates. Shooting into corners. Looking up. Watching for suspicious behaviour.

Dead ringer aka DR aka douche ringer aka loud decloak noise aka puff of smoke or sudden disappearance when a DR spy dies. He's not dead. He's invisible and running to health or ammo to fill his dr meter so he can douche again.

What you shoud do. Run for the nearest ammo/health. Shoot to try to locate spy (he can be set in fire and will show a blood animation if you hit him). Don't empty your clip though, likely he'll release dr and you'll have to fight him and it's better with a full clip.

Why? Cause if you don't then kiss your teles and medics goodbye.

Top Bottom