• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Oh neat. Looking at my server stats my skill has steadily been increasing over the past few months.

Lol @ my weapon accuracy though. 11.3%

Forkball

Yeef said:
Forkball is a Jerk.
Wait a minute, that's not my rank!

It's always interesting to see the awards. Fallengorn has the record for being soaked in jarate the most. People just love to throw pee at fallengorn I guess.

Also it's sad how I've never heard of most of the players whom I have a better K:D ratio than. I'm 25:24 against Artemis, suck on THAT. I'm also 40:103 against Metaphorically, time to only play Pyro for the next few months.

This officially makes me the worse janky server player.
I am spending the rest of the day in the box of shame :(
IGNV1.png

P5Zh4.jpg

at least I have these to fall back on
FS1W3.jpg

POs7l.jpg

eZfRP.jpg

I was looking through chat logs which jogged my memory:

During setup why do we not all switch to engineer, help the permanent engineers get all their shit up to level 3, and then switch back? Instead of starting with a level 1 tele, level 1 dispenser, and level 1 sentry we'd have all of those at level 3 well before setup time was over.

Obviously medics shouldn't switch during this time, but what excuse do the other classes have?

Prodigal

Banned
This is probably a dumb question, but how come there's this heavy motion blur on replay videos on youtube but it's much less pronounced when I actually turn it on in game?

Forkball

Obsessed said:

During setup why do we not all switch to engineer, help the permanent engineers all their shit up to level 3, and then switch back? Isn't of starting with a level 1 tele, level 1 dispenser, and level 1 sentry we'd have all of those at level 3 well before setup time was over.

Obviously medics shouldn't switch during this time, but what excuse do the other classes have?
If you build at spawn and set up everything, the engineer still has to haul all that stuff to a good spot, which can be time consuming depending on the map. And if you help the engineer build at his spot, then everyone has to go back to spawn and switch classes, and there might not be enough time for that.

Sianos

Oh hey, daily Scattergun award. <3

Also, I just remembered that Scout has a weapon that allows him to get past sentries to reach the back field.

Haha, wish I remembered that earlier.

Forkball said:
If you build at spawn and set up everything, the engineer still has to haul all that stuff to a good spot, which can be time consuming depending on the map. And if you help the engineer build at his spot, then everyone has to go back to spawn and switch classes, and there might not be enough time for that.

I see. Though sometimes setup time is like 1 minute and 30 seconds long and everyone is just chilling outside the enemy gates for over 1 minute. In those cases I think at least a few people would have the time to be able to get the engineer shit to level 3, go back to spawn, change classes, and then get back to the starting point. At least the scouts would be able to.

Yeef

Obsessed said:

During setup why do we not all switch to engineer, help the permanent engineers get all their shit up to level 3, and then switch back? Instead of starting with a level 1 tele, level 1 dispenser, and level 1 sentry we'd have all of those at level 3 well before setup time was over.

Because you're all not me. I always help engineers build during setup time.

As for a reason for other classes not to help. For demo, time to set up sticky traps would be lost. The nice thing about the Kritzkreig is that with it's faster charge time on a lot of maps you can full charge it, use it then full charge it again during setup time. So you can kritz a demo have him set up crit sticky traps and then rebuild your krtiz charge before setup time ends. The problem is, that works best with the Scottish Resistance, but no one wants to use that gun.

Acerac

Banned
Hazaro said:
Ok you know what, since Acerac has been stabbed more than 10x as much as I have.
I'll take it.
That sounds about right.

When you see my not playing medic, it's usually because nobody is spy checking or I have nobody worth healing. Sometimes the two are related.

I am not great at spy checking with that class. Running around backwards while healing only does so much.

*Edit*

Oh god he has a 5:1 k:d ratio against me. Holy shit. XD

Sianos

Obsessed said:
I want to avatar quote you so bad whenever you talk about how tired you are.
Haha, that is so fitting. :p

Yeef said:
I got an Ol' Snaggletooth drop.

Hopefully I can trade it for a Fez.
You should be able to, both are worth a key.

-----------------------------

One of my favorite things about Scout is how many good weapons you have to choose from. Think I'll roll with Bonk tonight if there's lots of Engies, possibly Boston Basher if I can find some good jump spots that I can't reach with the Atomizer.

NSQuote said:
One of my favorite things about Scout is how many good weapons you have to choose from.

Agreed! Scattergun is still the best, but all of the other guns are still fun to play with. The Soda Popper is especially fun when screwing around on servers where people don't really know what they're doing.

Yeef

NSQuote said:
You should be able to, both are worth a key.
Yeah, I know they are. My problem is that I have a very low tolerance for trading, so my main worry is finding someone that's willing to trade before I get fed up with looking.

Acerac

Banned
Yeef said:
Yeah, I know they are. My problem is that I have a very low tolerance for trading, so my main worry is finding someone that's willing to trade before I get fed up with looking.
I have the same problem. I'm so thankful for that trading site because of this difficulty of mine.

giancarlo123x said:
Haven't played this in a couple weeks. I play for an hour and my second drop is the pyromancers mask. I'm excited to play again.
See, the random-time reinforcement schedule works the best.

TheBez

Someone suggested a page or so back about making an alt account where people can dump their crate. I'm considering opening one up for you guys. Is there any interest? I figured you could dump for free and take for free but donate scrap or weapons or whatever you wanted if you were kind enough. Let me know!

Zomba13

mojiimbo said:
Anyone know what the "old" tag means?

GOmZb.png
Painted with Team Spirit paint before the update that added the new team colour paints I think. Don't know why it gets a tag saying it's old though as I've not noticed a difference between old and new team spirit painted item colours.

Exuro

So what's Valve's stance on multiple accounts? I had a second one from a while when I was trying some server stuff out and decided to jump on and see what items I could get for drops. Was thinking maybe to upgrade it to a full account, but I'm not sure what the policy on that is.

mojiimbo

Exuro said:
So what's Valve's stance on multiple accounts? I had a second one from a while when I was trying some server stuff out and decided to jump on and see what items I could get for drops. Was thinking maybe to upgrade it to a full account, but I'm not sure what the policy on that is.
They don't care as long as you're not using third party software. There's an idling page on Valve's official Team Fortress wiki.

Exuro

mojiimbo said:
They don't care as long as you're not using third party software. There's an idling page on Valve's official Team Fortress wiki.
So it's fine if I use my same debit card to upgrade the second account to premium?

Gav47

Fun games, you guys are really good, I think I did ok, apart from when I fucked up that uber on Badwater. Twice. >_>

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Exuro said:
So it's fine if I use my same debit card to upgrade the second account to premium?

Yeah, but be aware you can only use a payment method across two accounts. I have had to use my debit card, PayPal, ClickAndBuy and set up another PayPal account for my 6 smurfs.

Exuro

Archie said:
Yeah, but be aware you can only use a payment method across two accounts. I have had to use my debit card, PayPal, ClickAndBuy and set up another PayPal account for my 6 smurfs.
Well I figure I'll only have that other account. Any reason why it's only available for 2?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think Valve needs to redo the drops again.

People are getting their drops anyways through idling, so just take the fucking idling out. Either reward players with an increased chance of good stuff for those who are actually playing and killing OR just give EVERYONE their max drops if they log in once a week.

It also wouldn't matter if people have multi accounts since they would still have to pay to make it premium, this way, at least we can somewhat curb this useless idling.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I think Valve needs to redo the drops again.

People are getting their drops anyways through idling, so just take the fucking idling out. Either reward players with an increased chance of good stuff for those who are actually playing and killing OR just give EVERYONE their max drops if they log in once a week.

It also wouldn't matter if people have multi accounts since they would still have to pay to make it premium, this way, at least we can somewhat curb this useless idling.
Some classes like medics don't get as many kills as others -- everyone would try to farm kills, or sit in idle servers where you can farm kills.

Current rank: Man Whose Genitals Are Larger Than He Is
I'm ok with this.

Kuro Madoushi said:

You have something there. Do it like the other F2P games maybe, log in each day for a reward. Maybe it'll bank up to three or four days so you don't have to do it absolutely every day, but that would average out pretty close to what it currently is.

Kulock said:
You have something there. Do it like the other F2P games maybe, log in each day for a reward. Maybe it'll bank up to three or four days so you don't have to do it absolutely every day, but that would average out pretty close to what it currently is.
This is a horrible idea. Sure it would be good for Valve, but it's one of those lines where it crosses into being an obligation and it turns me off of it. I hate other F2P games that do that.

cooljeanius said:
This is a horrible idea. Sure it would be good for Valve, but it's one of those lines where it crosses into being an obligation and it turns me off of it. I hate other F2P games that do that.

Hence that it might stock up for a few days at a time. Otherwise it is still a sort of obligation as it is, if you don't log in for the week, it credits a few extra drops for the next week, but you pretty much lose that week of items otherwise.

Gav47

I'd prefer if they removed the random element from the drop system and replaced it with a timer i.e. "1hr 38mins til next drop". It wouldn't stop idling but it would give those that are against it less reason to complain.

Acerac

Banned
Well that was fun. Just spent the better part of an hour trading all the drops I had on my alt accounts to my main and crafting them in to metal.

I now have 12 spare refined and enough multiples for one or two more when I'm no longer sick of crafting. Good shit.

I remember now why I don't like doing this more than once a month. >_<

Acerac said:
Well that was fun. Just spent the better part of an hour trading all the drops I had on my alt accounts to my main and crafting them in to metal.

I now have 12 spare refined and enough multiples for one or two more when I'm no longer sick of crafting. Good shit.

I remember now why I don't like doing this more than once a month. >_<

I've not idled my multiple accounts for a while, It's too much effort and time wasted when you could be playing Payload!

Yeef

I think the drop system is mostly fine as it is now. Valve doesn't really seem to care about idling which is fine. The only thing I might recommend is adding some kind of item to the store that multiplies your drop rate. if they're going to condone idle accounts anyway they might as well make it less cumbersome.

Ideally, all weapons would be unlocked automatically and only cosmetic stuff and crates would be in the drop system (hats, name tags, paint, etc.) but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Tkawsome said:
How do you guys measure skill in the player trend stats?
'Skill' is just what HLStats calls points. basically, when you kill someone you gain a points and the person you killed loses that many points. The amount of points depends on how you killed them and the ratio of your total points vs. their total points. So if you're a top playe rand kill some noob you don't get many points for it. If you'r ea new player and kill someone on the top of the rankings you get tons of points for it.

Part of the reason Metaphorically has so many points is because HLStats awards bonus points for certain actions (in his case backstabs) AND awards double points for melee kills (which backstabs are). Since he's the best spy on the server and he plays spy so much more than any other class he tends to score lots of points.

If you look at KDR Wartime is still #1 out of the people who play on the server regularly (because he's a bastard).

More info on how scoring works here: http://tf2.gafserver.com/hlstats.php?mode=help

Top Bottom