• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Acerac

Banned
Sourtreats said:
I've not idled my multiple accounts for a while, It's too much effort and time wasted when you could be playing Payload!
I typically idle while I'm at work or hanging out with friends. :)

Granted, I could be playing payload during those times, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea in the long run.

Hm, the UI is still broken with Frakenhud. Just redownloading the files and installing it fixes it, but it still messes up every time I restart.

Does the replay editor ever work and not crash when trying to render files? I've tried to render a clip on 4 different PC's and each time it crashes and pops up with "HL2.exe has stopped working".

commissar

Acerac said:
I typically idle while I'm at work or hanging out with friends. :)

Granted, I could be playing payload during those times, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea in the long run.
Do you set yourself offline for the friends list though (or change your name)?

Most of time time I join games off my friends list, so online idlers irritate me so much :[

Yeef

commissar said:
Do you set yourself offline for the friends list though (or change your name)?

Most of time time I join games off my friends list, so online idlers irritate me so much :[
Same.

Common courtesy dictates that you set yourself offline while idling. Changing your name to make it obvious that you're idling is fine too, but that takes much more effort on your part.

Acerac

Banned
I idle offline in a room with 0 bots. My 4 idle accounts never see use outside of that.

*Edit*

Oh good it's not just me then. I've been tearing up tonight!

Or at least assisting others in tearing up. Whichever.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
To clarify, there should be a way to remove idling altogether.

Maybe even just logging in.

Obligated?! Don't we all play the game?

I just feel it's a huge waste of electricity and time. Just make it so that everybody gets the drops to remove idling. I don't think anybody WANTS to idle if they know they're guaranteed drops.

Idlers will get drops regardless since they would've idled.

Regulars who play the game will get the same drops.

People who jump in once a week casually will get the drops.

I don't see a downside. All I'm saying is give players the drop they'll get anyways to remove idling.

If I had to remake it, I'd do this
- logging in gets full drops (removes idling)
- Drops come in the form of chests you can unlock with the class you want the item for. (I like unlocking...just not paying)
- Regular crates will guarantee a hat/misc/strange drop and chance of unusual that you still pick the class for. (No more fucking 3 gunslingers in a row when you're gunning for a spy knife)
- Regular crates can be crafted into the 'drop' chest. (fuck those crates taking up space)

I guess this won't work if you like the random fuckedupness of drops, the useless space taking crates, and the waste of electricity from idling.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

Obligated?! Don't we all play the game?/QUOTE]
It behooves Valve to encourage the purchase of keys, weapons, etc. If everyone just got what they want then maybe Valve wouldn't make as much money and it wouldn't look like so many people are playing at once, I dunno.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
Kuro Madoushi said:

Obligated?! Don't we all play the game?/QUOTE]
It behooves Valve to encourage the purchase of keys, weapons, etc. If everyone just got what they want then maybe Valve wouldn't make as much money and it wouldn't look like so many people are playing at once, I dunno.
Idling =/= playing. I'd be more inclined to buy a key if I knew I was getting a hat.

Sianos

Tonight was fun, some rounds I tore up as Scout and others the map was layered in crit sticks.

Best round was on Nucleus, ran around the map getting a bunch of amazing ambushes. Pulling off successful ambushes is so much fun, and its even better when you can chain them together, constantly harrassing the enemy. Atomizer opens up the map so much: I can always get behind people even if they are on my trail.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Idling =/= playing. I'd be more inclined to buy a key if I knew I was getting a hat.
But you can buy (most?) hats from the store already, right? So the key is just an awesome discounted hat chance!

Ultratech

lol @ the new ranks

Apparently I'm Mold That Lives In Fallengorn's Bellybutton.
Also got 3 daily awards yesterday/today. Yay.

My K/D ratio is 0.6...I tend to die more often than I kill, but when I do; I make it a good one.

Yeef said:
Same.

Common courtesy dictates that you set yourself offline while idling. Changing your name to make it obvious that you're idling is fine too, but that takes much more effort on your part.
I don't change my name while idling, neither do I set myself for offline. I do something better than both:

I purposely don't idle on my account to not confuse or annoy my fellow GAF members any longer, ever since I started idling on my 24 premium alts.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
how the hell do people have more robot arm kills than me?!

SCIZZY?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

edit: Also, you n00b scrub Gaffers. Try to play something besides pyro...OR at least spurt your teammates with fire so you know they're not spies. SERIOUSLY!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh...

So who here on the server is capable of defeating wartime?

NUMBER FUCKING ONE KILLS AGAINST ICANONLYPLAYDEMOTIME = KURO MADOUSHI!

ratio is still in his favour though P_P

Acerac

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Sigh...

So who here on the server is capable of defeating wartime?

NUMBER FUCKING ONE KILLS AGAINST ICANONLYPLAYDEMOTIME = KURO MADOUSHI!

ratio is still in his favour though P_P
*Shrug* I'm just a medic. My killing abilities are rather lacking. The problem is when my teammates can't kill people despite me being on them.

That gets frustrating.

Sciz

Best match on Steel in a long time, both the first round Scout rush and the second round of teetering on the brink for ten minutes straight.

Kuro Madoushi said:
how the hell do people have more robot arm kills than me?!

SCIZZY?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
My melee is augmented.

Yeef

Some tips for playing Steel (and TF2 in general).
  • If going for E before the other points are capped doesn't work the first time, it's not going to work for the rest of the round. Go for the main points instead.
  • If the other team has 3 scouts on E don't just ignore it. All it takes is 1 demoman to lockdown an E rush.
  • If you're a Scout don't take the teleporters. You'll barely save anytime and the slower classes need it more than you.
  • Move your teleporters up as you cap more points. A teleporter that goes to C isn't helpful when we're trying to capture D. It's literally the opposite side of the map.
  • Last, but not least, I hate you all. :mad:

XeroSauce

I hate Demomen so much.

All of my rage in TF2 can never match the sheer brutality that I feel for the person that invented the Sticky Launcher and gave it to a guy that also has a grenade launcher.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
we would've capped steel had you scrubs bothered to look back for Metaphorically. He saved that game for Red. For fuck's sake, I turned around and KNEW it was him, but I was reloading and had to switch to melee, but it didn't switch in time...

In the future, you freakin n00bs, if there's nobody from the front, LOOK BACK! There were two short range classes that couldn't do shit facing front, I HAD MY STICKIES THERE. Either you get the HELL up front to slow them down OR watch THE GODDAMN BACK!

All it needed was ONE of you pyros or scouts to turn around and fill Meta full of lead or fire and we would've one. Next time, pay attention! >_<

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Some tips for playing Steel (and TF2 in general).
  • If going for E before the other points are capped doesn't work the first time, it's not going to work for the rest of the round. Go for the main points instead.
  • If the other team has 3 scouts on E don't just ignore it. All it takes is 1 demoman to lockdown an E rush.
  • If you're a Scout don't take the teleporters. You'll barely save anytime and the slower classes need it more than you.
  • Move your teleporters up as you cap more points. A teleporter that goes to C isn't helpful when we're trying to capture D. It's literally the opposite side of the map.
Steel is probably one of my favorite maps, but it's also the most soul-crushing if:

1. Java is scout-rushing E the whole map, and everyone follows him because they like him (if it doesn't work at the start it almost certainly won't work as you point out) or,

2. People are trying for E with other classes than scout, or

3. People are taking a teleporter between A and E, when point B or C needs captured next.

Acerac

Banned
lol Kuro. As upset as you are, you can't match that one person who thought that every class but heavy was a bitch class.

Heavies (being the class he was using at the time) are the only legitimate class, of course. ;)

Sciz

Yeef said:
Kuro Madoushi said:
All it needed was ONE of you pyros or scouts to turn around and fill Meta full of lead or fire and we would've one. Next time, pay attention! >_<
Is it bad form to point and laugh at you guys for getting robbed twice in a row? :D

XeroSauce

Kuro Madoushi said:
we would've capped steel had you scrubs bothered to look back for Metaphorically. He saved that game for Red. For fuck's sake, I turned around and KNEW it was him, but I was reloading and had to switch to melee, but it didn't switch in time...

In the future, you freakin n00bs, if there's nobody from the front, LOOK BACK! There were two short range classes that couldn't do shit facing front, I HAD MY STICKIES THERE. Either you get the HELL up front to slow them down OR watch THE GODDAMN BACK!

It wasn't only Metaphorically. We had two full-commission Demoman spamming the point from both the ledge and the health pack room the entire time, plus those two Heavies and Medics.

Yeef

Tenck said:
That is a goldmine for Spy knowledge! I shall watch and learn.

Does Meta use Fez?
metaphorically changes up his loadout pretty often. He mainly uses the enforcer and regular knife with the dead ringer, but sometimes I'll rush him, expecting him to hav ethat build and then get ambassador headshotted.

XeroSauce said:
It wasn't only Metaphorically. We had two full-commission Demoman spamming the point from both the ledge and the health pack room the entire time, plus those two Heavies and Medics.
There were at least 3 different times where I was on D, the point was clear and no one came to cap with me. Of course, I look and see a bunch of people on E. Without a good nest it's almost impossible to cap E when D isn't capped yet.

Acerac

Banned
Yeef said:
metaphorically changes up his loadout pretty often. He mainly uses the enforcer and regular knife with the dead ringer, but sometimes I'll rush him, expecting him to hav ethat build and then get ambassador headshotted.

There were at least 3 different times where I was on D, the point was clear and no one came to cap with me. Of course, I look and see a bunch of people on E. Without a good nest it's almost impossible to cap E when D isn't capped yet.
I suppose this is my main weakness on using the syringe gun over the blutsauger, I feel nearly useless when I don't have backup.

Tenck

Yeef said:

Is he usually on the Gaf server? I just want to play one game with him right now. My main class is Spy, and hearing about better spies always makes me want to meet them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I need to get better with the Dead Ringer, right now I tend to go Ambassador, Stock Watch, Stock Knife.

I do love being able to decloak to the side of snipers, and just head shot them, few nights ago I kept tormenting this sniper on at his spawn door on the second round of Thunder Mountain. Would be in the little walk way way above it, shooting the blue guys, I would just keep doing the same thing. Walk up there stealthed, decloak about 10 feet away from him, aim my Ambassador, and then kill him. Though usually it would be the second shot to do him in.

Tenck said:
Is he usually on the Gaf server? I just want to play one game with him right now. My main class is Spy, and hearing about better spies always makes me want to meet them.
Yeah, all the time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
XeroSauce said:

Unless you were trying to kill him, and you weren't cause I was the only goddamn one facing him, then you weren't paying attention either. We nearly capped. Metaphorically was using YER and stabbed one dude as I was trying to switch to melee, and he got someone else. He SAVED THAT ROUND FOR RED! It had nothing to do with the rest of the scrubs on the ledge and health room.

Yeef, D doesn't factor into this because we did cap it. It wasn't until E that the team suddenly drank some derp-aid. Where were the engies and the sentries cover the point? That one engie had his goddamn sentry between B and E...when it should've been facing E. I see people darting in and out of corners instead of CAPPING or COVERING the sides.

Protip: If you see a 4X or even 5X cap rate, then your job isn't to add to it, IT'S TO FUCKING DELAY THE OTHER TEAM FROM STOPPING YOU!

Acerac

Banned
Drkirby said:
I need to get better with the Dead Ringer, right now I tend to go Ambassador, Stock Watch, Stock Knife. I do love being able to decloak to the side of snipers, and just head shot them, few nights ago I kept tormenting this sniper on at his spawn door on the second round of Thunder Mountain. Would be in the little walk way way above it, shooting the blue guys, I would just keep doing the same thing. Walk up there stealthed, decloak about 10 feet away from him, aim my Ambassador, and then kill him. Though usually it would be the second shot to do him in.

Yeah, all the time.
The enforcer kill in as many shots as the ambassador on snipers, methinks. Though I know it sucks with the base loadout, it gives me plenty of incentive to use the douche... err... dead ringer. :)

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
Yeef, D doesn't factor into this because we did cap it.
Sure it does. When we capped E we had like 7 and a half minutes to capture D. We ended up capturing D with seconds left, which gave us little time to capture E (I think we had like 3:17 after D was captured).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Acerac said:
The enforcer kill in as many shots as the ambassador on snipers, methinks. Though I know it sucks with the base loadout, it gives me plenty of incentive to use the douche... err... dead ringer. :)
It's not just the douche ringer...it's the douche ringer plus that terrible Saharan Spy Set that negates the popping sound. I was healing a heavy who gunned one of those bastards down...he wasn't even wearing a disguise! Wouldn't you know it, the spy 'decloaks' just a few feet away from him (and heavy can't hear it) and stabs him in the back.

I'm sure there will be more updates, but I just hate it when there are weapons with 'clear' advantages as to replace vanilla and other sets. That goddamn gun and it's useless 'take longer to cloak' means nothing to the douche.

edit: again, Yeef, we still capped it. It was a non-factor when we couldn't even finish E off because people weren't covering the sides.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Victim:
Code:
1 	Metaphorically 	Killed:32 	Killed by:17

Seriously guys watch your back. I don't know how meta is my #1 target. That doesn't really make sense.

Acerac

Banned
Just wait until there is a strange YER Kuro.

I know I've got my fez waiting for me. Granted, I'll still only play spy on joke pub servers, but I bet plenty more will be stepping up to the plate once it gets released.

Hazaro said:
Victim:
Code:
1 	Metaphorically 	Killed:32 	Killed by:17

Seriously guys watch your back. I don't know how meta is my #1 target. That doesn't really make sense.

I see him coming. I purposely face towards him. I call out when I see him. It somehow seems to not matter. :(

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ultratech said:
Apparently I'm Mold That Lives In Fallengorn's Bellybutton.

It was originally "The Mold That Grows In Fallengorn's Sperm-Filled Bellybutton," but it cut off the "button" part. So... yeah.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
edit: again, Yeef, we still capped it. It was a non-factor when we couldn't even finish E off because people weren't covering the sides.
NOPE!

More time to cap means more time to get our shit together. Engineers could move up. People can hang back to wait for teammates to push together. When the game's in overtime you basically have to rush the point with or without your team to keep the timer going. Holding back isn't an option.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
NOPE!

More time to cap means more time to get our shit together. Engineers could move up. People can hang back to wait for teammates to push together. When the game's in overtime you basically have to rush the point with or without your team to keep the timer going. Holding back isn't an option.
Nope! Agree to disagree. We only needed 5 more seconds to win it when Douche Ringer stopped us. Time is irrelevant. I saw our engine with a lvl 3 sentry doing nothing. We had plenty of time to cap; we just derped it up. All the time in the world wouldn't have helped if nobody was stopping them. Can't even use classes as an excuse. They had demos and heavies? So what? Nobody stopping you guys from switching.

Believe me or not, or you can ask Red. We were robbed by Metaphorically with 5 seconds left. If we couldn't cap D and ran out of time, then maybe...otherwise we were well and truly douche ringered.

Reckoner

I was thinking of going to play some arena right now, but after all this time looks like those SteamFriends servers went down.

do you guys know some nice arena servers?

Top Bottom