• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
That doesn't sound like me at all. The only times I attack E are when the other point is completely shutdown or for a laugh. In the former I'll hit up E to take some heat off of A or B if we aren't making any progress.
Hey, you know you love rushing E when you lost the first half of Steel, just to make me rage. <3

Custom maps suck. Down with custom maps!

Also, 6v6s suck too. I need some chaos to be able to look like I don't suck! I'd like to think that I'm a half-decent Scout, but I seem to lose every Scout v Scout battle. Without the chaos of a normal battlefield, I couldn't get anything done on Frontier :(

Oh well - maybe I'll be back for a decent amount of time this afternoon.

Forkball said:
Everyone is praising Meta, and he's a great spy, but Artist is the original rage-inducing spy. A few days ago we were on Barnblitz, he joins the last point on defense, and then he jumped to the top of the scoreboard with like 40 points in a mere matter of minutes. Plus Big Kill > Enforcer.

Awww <3

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Steel feels so limiting to me. Its one giant series of choke points.
But there are 2+ routes to each point besides A, and E is always an option, and it's so small you don't have to worry about 3-minute travel times I think.

Sianos

divisionbyzorro said:
Custom maps suck. Down with custom maps!

Also, 6v6s suck too. I need some chaos to be able to look like I don't suck! I'd like to think that I'm a half-decent Scout, but I seem to lose every Scout v Scout battle. Without the chaos of a normal battlefield, I couldn't get anything done on Frontier :(

Oh well - maybe I'll be back for a decent amount of time this afternoon.
I'm the opposite: the less chaos the more efficiently I can flank and take people out.

Everyone left and the Jank and crits are piling up, so I'll be off for now.

Sianos

divisionbyzorro said:
That's what Bonk is for! No need to find a great flank route - just run up the middle :)
That is so brilliantly simplistic it should work! :)

Also, any tips for fighting against soldiers at closerange as Scout? I can get the first hit, but then they do a 180 and shoot rockets at their feet, doing 100+ to me and 40~ to themselves

NSQuote said:
Also, any tips for fighting against soldiers at closerange as Scout? I can get the first hit, but then they do a 180 and shoot rockets at their feet, doing 100+ to me and 40~ to themselves

Nope! I tend to lose almost every battle against a competent Soldier unless I have hype on the Soda Popper.

Proven

Obsessed said:
Metaphorically works magic with the shitty knife/backstab hitboxes. He's the only spy I've ever seen that could manage to backstab you while you are facing directly at him.

What pisses me off is that I'll be a Medic, and I fucking notice him. If by some miracle another team member notices and attacks him they WONT CHECK THEIR FUCKING KILL COUNT and will then just leave after "killing him" while I feel obligated to run away from the battle to hunt him down.

What's worse is when my teammates "kill" him, walk the fuck away, and then moments later I hear a loud piercing scream. Am I the only one that can hear the scream, because oftentimes Metaphorically will get chain stabs and I just don't get how. If you hear a goddamn scream TURN THE FUCK AROUND.
1. I've been playing without headphones for the past month, so I'm finding I have a harder time hearing dead ringers over game sounds and other people's voices. I used to be able to hear regular decloaks with ease as well. I really need to invest in a new set.

2. As I said before, half the problem is the fact that chasing down a Dead Ringer wastes time. If he dies, he's going to come back to you. If he Dead Rings, he's going to come back to you. If I'm anything but Soldier or Pyro (which usually means Engineer or Medic) I have better things to do. If I am an attack class, there's only so much time I can let waste. Making him run 10 or so seconds away to collect health and ammo is enough.

TF2 is a game against the clock when you're on Blue. Most of the maps have a Blue advantage so Spies primarily slow you down. The only time I really dedicate Spychecking comes to final uber pushes and keeping teles safe, as that's when you make the greatest time difference from the Spy respawning to your team getting to the front lines.

When on Red, TF2 is a numbers game. The main issue is to stay alive and stay together, because the spawn time is double for you and you can't suppress when you're dead. If you spend too much time looking for a Spy, you're taking presence away from stopping Blue, and the next second an uber rolls right up on you and you're dead anyway. For me this just means that whenever I'm rolling up with a teammate, when they're shooting I take a look backwards for them, and then hopefully we swap roles.

Lastly, all I can say is develop Spy sense. Spies tend to walk a certain way when they're getting ready for a backstab. There are high places Spies like to jump/flank from that I always keep an eye on or rush past quickly. Whenever a new set of enemies pop up, there's a good chance that in the next five seconds a Spy will pop up (one of the reasons why I'm so quick to retreat during or right after a small firefight) thanks to either respawn waves or just because you're distracted. Finally, if you're playing well and/or dominating a Spy, there will be a higher chance he'll appear by you, either to kill you or because you're with the rest of the team protecting them from that Spy.

I will say I've been getting complacent, especially when I'm playing Medic on the GAF server (and only on the GAF server). I only catch Metaphorically before the act 50% of the time.

NSQuote said:
That is so brilliantly simplistic it should work! :)

How Scouts have managed to kill me:

A.) Make like a Pyro and be circle strafing once you make that first meatshot, or already be in the air and jumping away. This leaves you only taking splash or no damage whatsoever.

B.) Don't get in so close. From near range you have enough space to jump over all of his rocket splash at the ground, while still doing around 60-90 damage. You'll kill him in a few shots, and you'll be amazed how easy it is to catch a Soldier close to reloading.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This should help to hear spies

Game volume: max
Music volume: half way
Voice receive volume: 3/4

Acerac

Banned
Orellio said:
Kill assists don't reset on strange medi-guns when you trade them. FIX IT VALVE >:O
My medi gun already had 30 assists on it when I got it. :D

Shame that they don't count for kill ranks. It makes leveling them much more difficult than I expected. At least it encourages me to play intelligently to max out my uber counts.

Prodigal

Banned
Prodigal said:
This is probably a dumb question, but how come there's this heavy motion blur on replay videos on youtube but it's much less pronounced when I actually turn it on in game?

Sorry to repost this question, but I still haven't been able to find an answer! Maybe this question was even more obvious than I originally thought, as I seem to be the only one confused by this.

Oreoleo

Acerac said:
My medi gun already had 30 assists on it when I got it. :D

Shame that they don't count for kill ranks. It makes leveling them much more difficult than I expected. At least it encourages me to play intelligently to max out my uber counts.

30 assists isn't so bad. 95 on the other hand D: I bumped it to 100 on an idle server so mentally it's easier to track how many are mine. But it seems like a huge oversight that they don't reset. It should just be like removing a paint from a hat. Click, done. Boom. Come on Valve D:

I agree it would be nice if they counted towards the strange level though. Takes so much more to build an uber than it does to get a kill with a rocket launcher or minigun. Even the wrenches track kills from sentries!

Prodigal said:
Sorry to repost this question, but I still haven't been able to find an answer! Maybe this question was even more obvious than I originally thought, as I seem to be the only one confused by this.

It might be because Youtube only plays at 30fps IIRC, and in game you are seeing it at 60fps. Couldn't say definitively, but I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Prodigal

Banned
Orellio said:
It might be because Youtube only plays at 30fps IIRC, and in game you are seeing it at 60fps. Couldn't say definitively, but I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Ah okay. I was just confused but I barely even noticed the motion blur in game (which is probably the intended effect), but it seems like having it appear as it does in those videos would be kinda neat.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
ArtistDude88 said:
You really are haha. Metaphorically just plays spy more than you currently do. You're still one of those players I love to see on my team and hate my life when you're on the other though.

divisionbyzorro said:
Wait, so Strange Mediguns ONLY level up on ubers?

Wiki sez:

This weapon has two counters; one counting ÜberCharges, the other counting kill assists. Only ÜberCharges increase this weapon's rank.

All the weird ones:

The following Strange items do not track kills, instead:
Jarate tracks and ranks up based on the number of coated enemies, or "Sodden Victims".
The Medi Gun tracks ÜberCharges and kill assists, and ranks up based on ÜberCharge count.
The Wrench and the Jag track Sentry Gun kills and standard melee kills, and rank up based on Sentry Gun kills.

Sianos

478857F7A65B5A5E22BECD3DF4A78DBF699133A1

Love playing Caberknight so much. 300 damage charges with splash are so good. <3

Too bad people on the GAF server are too aware for me to get away with easy kills, haha. 2Fort is almost like tr_walkway, except with somewhat inteligent bots. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
HeadlessRoland said:
Is the US GAF server usually empty?
Usually only has people on it from 8 to 1 EST, but it varies from day to day.

I found it funny that some Dead Ringer Spy playing on the server was complaining about how Solider and Demo take no skill, ruin the game, ect ect.

Sianos

chiym1992 said:
thundermountain too... no?

I know earlier today wartime switched us to a weird custom (reverse capture the flag mixed with attack-defend cp) that caused the server to crash. Mann Manor also tends to crash the server too.

NSQuote said:
Love playing Caberknight so much. 300 damage charges with splash are so good. <3

Too bad people on the GAF server are too aware for me to get away with easy kills, haha. 2Fort is almost like tr_walkway, except with somewhat inteligent bots. :p

Have you tried Sticky Jumper/Caber combo yet? It's hilarious! You just drop out of the sky and land on someone's head with the Caber. Then if you're quick/lucky you might be able to sticky jump out of the fray and back to spawn to get another Caber :p

But yeah... If people are too aware or there's a ton of sentries around, it's not so fun since you take 200% damage, lol.

Sianos

ArtistDude88 said:
Have you tried Sticky Jumper/Caber combo yet? It's hilarious! You just drop out of the sky and land on someone's head with the Caber. Then if you're quick/lucky you might be able to sticky jump out of the fray and back to spawn to get another Caber :p

But yeah... If people are too aware or there's a ton of sentries around, it's not so fun sicne you take 200% damage, lol.
I don't have a sticky jumper, so I use targe. Works pretty well, as the charge lets you catch up to people and deal up to 300 damage.

I have a spare ref I was saving for a Fez, is the Sticky Jumper worth it?

Grimm Fandango said:
Jarate tracks and ranks up based on the number of coated enemies, or "Sodden Victims".

I just realized I need a Strange Jarate. Sometimes I Jarate more than I shoot as a Sniper. (Helps make a friendly Heavy's life easier, after all.)

Edit: Christ some of the prices on TF2TP are beyond stupid, way more than usual. Then you have other people asking 2 Reclaimed. There really needs to be some kind of suggested pricing guide built in to the site so people are less likely to post "I THINK THIS IS WORTH 8 UNUSUALS" junk.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
1. I've been playing without headphones for the past month, so I'm finding I have a harder time hearing dead ringers over game sounds and other people's voices. I used to be able to hear regular decloaks with ease as well. I really need to invest in a new set.

2. As I said before, half the problem is the fact that chasing down a Dead Ringer wastes time. If he dies, he's going to come back to you. If he Dead Rings, he's going to come back to you. If I'm anything but Soldier or Pyro (which usually means Engineer or Medic) I have better things to do. If I am an attack class, there's only so much time I can let waste. Making him run 10 or so seconds away to collect health and ammo is enough.

TF2 is a game against the clock when you're on Blue. Most of the maps have a Blue advantage so Spies primarily slow you down. The only time I really dedicate Spychecking comes to final uber pushes and keeping teles safe, as that's when you make the greatest time difference from the Spy respawning to your team getting to the front lines.

When on Red, TF2 is a numbers game. The main issue is to stay alive and stay together, because the spawn time is double for you and you can't suppress when you're dead. If you spend too much time looking for a Spy, you're taking presence away from stopping Blue, and the next second an uber rolls right up on you and you're dead anyway. For me this just means that whenever I'm rolling up with a teammate, when they're shooting I take a look backwards for them, and then hopefully we swap roles.

Lastly, all I can say is develop Spy sense. Spies tend to walk a certain way when they're getting ready for a backstab. There are high places Spies like to jump/flank from that I always keep an eye on or rush past quickly. Whenever a new set of enemies pop up, there's a good chance that in the next five seconds a Spy will pop up (one of the reasons why I'm so quick to retreat during or right after a small firefight) thanks to either respawn waves or just because you're distracted. Finally, if you're playing well and/or dominating a Spy, there will be a higher chance he'll appear by you, either to kill you or because you're with the rest of the team protecting them from that Spy.

I will say I've been getting complacent, especially when I'm playing Medic on the GAF server (and only on the GAF server). I only catch Metaphorically before the act 50% of the time.

How Scouts have managed to kill me:

A.) Make like a Pyro and be circle strafing once you make that first meatshot, or already be in the air and jumping away. This leaves you only taking splash or no damage whatsoever.

B.) Don't get in so close. From near range you have enough space to jump over all of his rocket splash at the ground, while still doing around 60-90 damage. You'll kill him in a few shots, and you'll be amazed how easy it is to catch a Soldier close to reloading.
Proven is part of the problem! :mad:

ArtistDude88 said:
If you have a spare $0.49 floating around in your Steam Wallet, I'd just buy it from the store. :D Best buy I ever made in the store, haha!

Tempting (you can buy Stranges from the store?), but I really prefer to only pick up tradable items when possible. So it's worth the extra trade-off to me.

Oreoleo

Kulock said:
Tempting (you can buy Stranges from the store?), but I really prefer to only pick up tradable items when possible. So it's worth the extra trade-off to me.
he was referring to the sticky jumper >_>

Proven

I forgot to mention, last night on upward I realized just how much Soldiers control the interaction against Pyros. Since you have to react and predict with it, the ball's in your court for when you have to shoot a rocket, and the Pyro can never force anything unless he gets to point blank range.

Ultratech

Proven said:
I forgot to mention, last night on upward I realized just how much Soldiers control the interaction against Pyros. Since you have to react and predict with it, the ball's in your court for when you have to shoot a rocket, and the Pyro can never force anything unless he gets to point blank range.

Funny you mention this. Whenever I'm faced in a one-on-one situation with a Soldier, I won't rush him, but I'll stay back and attempt to reflect rockets. It's mostly because if I do rush, I screw up the timing on the airblast, or they kill me before I get remotely close.

When the ball's on the other side of the court though, I rush Pyros. Rarely have I ever been killed by reflected rockets. Of course, I have my methods for dealing with Pyros as a Soldier. :D

Was hilarious the other night though when we were doing Mountain Lab (or was it Mann Manor?) and I reflected a crit rocket back into Blu's base killing the Soldier and somebody else.

And sorry I had to leave early last night. Internet was messing up and my ping was hitting like 300-500. Was getting some ridiculous lag.

Yeef

Look at this shit. This is what I had to deal with for the whole Thunder Mountain match. 50+ choke. I'm surprised i killed anyone at all. The server sends 66 packets per second and I'm 50~ behind. That means I have to anticipate what's going to happen a second from now in order to play. And unlike lag, there's no compensation for choke.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559792646445509970/748BD88C0E25AC25CFFB97EE34EE814A1AB98288/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559792646445510425/04A06D83C0D8D767197C47455B7219C8C0A5B27E/

We should probably find a server host that doesn't suck. ;(

[EDIT]
Proven said:
I'd say this really depends on the area where you run into each other as well as loadout. Areas with lots of atmosphere a soldier should completely dominate since he can rocket jump and throw the pyro off guard. Enclosed, open spaces mean reflecting is easier. If you switch to your shotgun you can be out damaged at medium and long range by a flaregun/detonator.

The important thing is, the rocket launcher and air blast both have the same attack speed, so if a pyro screws up the timing on his first airblast (at medium or close range) he won't be able to reflect the next one.

Yeef said:
Look at this shit. This is what I had to deal with for the whole Thunder Mountain match. 50+ choke. I'm surprised i killed anyone at all. The server sends 66 packets per second and I'm 50~ behind. That means I have to anticipate what's going to happen a second from now in order to play. And unlike lag, there's no compensation for choke.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559792646445509970/748BD88C0E25AC25CFFB97EE34EE814A1AB98288/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559792646445510425/04A06D83C0D8D767197C47455B7219C8C0A5B27E/

We should probably find a server host that doesn't suck. ;(

Seriously most of us have no problem supporting a new server. Let's just do it already!

Sianos

Playing as Caberknight + pillspam Demo isn't helping my Scout aim much. :p

Did much better earlier today, didn't play that well except for the aforementioned Caberknight. Got some nice ambushes and it was funny hearing people's reactions.

That last round on Thunder Mountain was crazy, no idea how we pulled it off with four spies and four snipers.

A new, moderately less janky server would be nice. Although not TOO Jank-free. :p

Yeef

Grimm Fandango said:
Seriously most of us have no problem supporting a new server. Let's just do it already!
i was actually looking at a few different hosts a couple of weeks ago. I'd prefer to avoid shared hosting if possible, but getting our own box is super expensive (relative to what we're paying now). The upside would be that we'd have completely control over it, meaning, if we wanted to set up a second server it could run on the same machine at no extra cost.

Of the ones I looked at these seemed the most promising:
EOReality (a lot of comp servers seem to use them. They seem pretty decent.), League Servers and some other one that I can't seem to find now.

Top Bottom