• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...

Metaphorically and Jack Hiscock. I tip my hat to you good sirs! I never thought a spy could jump on that ledge on barnblitz.

I give up warning you freakin scrubs about spies. It was often me against both of them and none of you guys did shit.
Nobody spy checking.
Nobody following up on fucking dead ringers.
Players bumping into spies and then derping off.
Players clearly seeing a spy and one of their own players walking behind him without attacking...which makes him a spy too.
I had my tele sapped probably 10 times or more. I guess you dumbasses liked walking. I was the only engie and had no support.
I guess I could've gone another class, but then nobody would go engie.
I was trying to repair in a corner and there was a spy medic in front of me...AND THE GODDAMN FUCKING IDIOT DEMO STANDING NEXT TO ME WAS JUST FUCKING STANDING THERE WAITING FOR THE FUCKING DISPENSER TO GET FIXED!

I acknowledge he's got some skills, but FUCK you guys make people like him look good when you're so oblivious.

XeroSauce

Kuro Madoushi said:
Wow...

Metaphorically and Jack Hiscock. I tip my hat to you good sirs! I never thought a spy could jump on that ledge on barnblitz.

I give up warning you freakin scrubs about spies. It was often me against both of them and none of you guys did shit.
Nobody spy checking.
Players clearly seeing a spy and one of their own players walking behind him without attacking...which makes him a spy too.
I had my tele sapped probably 10 times or more. I guess you dumbasses liked walking. I was the only engie and had no support.
I was trying to repair in a corner and there was a spy medic in front of me...AND THE GODDAMN FUCKING IDIOT DEMO STANDING NEXT TO ME WAS JUST FUCKING STANDING THERE WAITING FOR THE FUCKING DISPENSER TO GET FIXED!

I acknowledge he's got some skills, but FUCK you guys make people like him look good when you're so oblivious.

You gotta chill out mate, walkSpycrab that off.

Blizzard

Banned
NSQuote said:
Really wish I saved some replays, that Caber kill on Meta as he tried to do his usual circle stab was priceless.
I was a KGB heavy and ran around with him in a clumsy fashion. Neither of us did anything, and about the second or third time he jumped off a ramp I finally hit him or something and he exploded. It made me happy.

Sianos

I'm pretty good about spychecking people: I don't get them all, but I at least get the majority of them.

As far as dead ringer goes, I usually know when they dr but if they are good I can't do much more as Scout then take the nearest health and ammo. If I get lucky and pick the right path I'll find them, but that doesn't happen much.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Wow...

Nobody spy checking.

< Guilty

I'm a horrible Engineer.

I feel your pain Kuro. I love when people don't help the engineer. I remember in a Valve server the shit kept getting sapped and every second you'd hear "SPY SAPPIN MY [insert]" and people would just walk right on by.

I mentioned that people should help the engineer fend of spies, and someone actually told me I was wrong, and that the engineer should be able to do it himself.

Also people like Proven think that chasing the DR spy is worthless. Normally I'd agree, but people seem to forgot there was even a spy 7 seconds later. Like fucking goldfish. It wouldn't be worth chasing after the spy if people kept it in their minds that a spy was lurking about and remained on high alert. Instead people let down their guard and the spy they refused to chase takes down half the team with a backstab rush.

Also I hope you yelled at that Demoman... Seriously....

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
I hadn't played in a while so I joined the server. I lost 4-6 maps in a row before winning one. :( Is it just me?
Your... novelty weapon choices sure make things interesting.

The two times I ubered you I saw you taunt for the duration of the first and charge with the KGB on the other. :p

Kuro Madoushi said:
Ok fine. You go engie next time then.
As soon as I see 2 medics I totally will.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
I feel your pain Kuro. I love when people don't help the engineer. I remember in a Valve server the shit kept getting sapped and every second you'd hear "SPY SAPPIN MY [insert]" and people would just walk right on by.

I mentioned that people should help the engineer fend of spies, and someone actually told me I was wrong, and that the engineer should be able to do it himself.

Also people like Proven think that chasing the DR spy is worthless. Normally I'd agree, but people seem to forgot there was even a spy 7 seconds later. Like fucking goldfish. It wouldn't be worth chasing after the spy if people kept it in their minds that a spy was lurking about and remained on high alert. Instead people let down their guard and the spy they refused to chase takes down half the team with a backstab rush.

Also I hope you yelled at that Demoman... Seriously....
Pfft...the hell does Krillin know? He was on their team when they were toying with me.

I'd have to check stats, but I when I was focused on killing Metaphorically, we generally won. Though he got a really good jumping backstab on me when he only have a tiny height advantage, not a huge stair height advantage.

Chasing DR spies is not a waste of time. Those who think so are bad and should feel bad. AND PROVEN, YOU'RE A GODDAMN MEDIC TOO!

And honestly, the reason I don't go DR spy on you guys is because it's easy mode. I want a challenge...though protecting shit against two spies is more challenge than I want. I can respect a spy with CD or Regular watch, but DR is simply too OP and a total troll item.

I will say it was a good bit of practice spy hunting though.

Proven

You, I never thought about how much people forget about the Spy when he's dead ringing. My philosophy is if you can't force him into a corner, then just let him come back to you and kill him. While he's running around trying to get health and ammo, he's doing nothing useful to his team anyway. But, I'll turn towards telling people to chase them down. There's only so much one Pyro can do. And I'm sorry Kuro about Thundermountain. I was chasing down Spies and Scouts every other minute, and was even dominating Meta, but it still wasn't enough.

Yes, I'm a Medic. But tonight I only got backstabbed two or three times over two full rounds as Medic. I realize I'm talking from a perspective of someone not as oblivious to a Spy heading towards me.

sixghost

Blizzard said:
I hadn't played in a while so I joined the server. I lost 4-6 maps in a row before winning one. :( Is it just me?
Honestly I couldn't tell you how many times I was on the winning or losing team today. Why does it bother you? It's never even something I think about playing this game.

How the hell did we get that first teleporter so far up on R3 of goldrush? I've never seen that happen before.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
wartime1020 said:
I surprised it took you guys that long.
I thought it was a good fight. We were attacking from the side and rear, and you guys had a lvl 3 in the corner. I was stuck deciding what to do and defending that choke against a pyro. If I hadn't, he could've gotten to spawn and destroyed out teles.

I also should've saved that epic battle I had with the engie...Augmented Dog Salta it was. He had a level 2 facing the track, and a dispenser behind him. I walked right up and hid behind the dispenser, and the gun starts firing backwards, but the dispenser blocks it. He comes running at me with a wrench and I think I hit a lucky crit with my ubersaw. I then finish his sentry gun with needles. Freakin wartime couldn't give me the satisfaction of escaping and got me in the end with ye olde frying pan.

Edit: Dammit krillin, it doesn't matter. You need to make the spy work for that position! You're a comp medic, you SHOULD know better. Sure, you might not be able to kill him, but it's better than leaving him and letting him pop his DR and derpign up the rest of the team. You ALWAYS have to hunt them down. Either he'll slip up and you'll kill him, or he has to remove his disguise to fight, which should alert other players to join the fight. Leaving a spy behind lines when you know he's there is irresponsible to the team.

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:
Your... novelty weapon choices sure make things interesting.

The two times I ubered you I saw you taunt for the duration of the first and charge with the KGB on the other. :p
Well, you should know better than to ever uber me! I was merely an an observer of the game. Watching, controlling it!

I don't see you rating the kind of mate I'M contemplating. </obscure>

Proven

Yeef said:
i was actually looking at a few different hosts a couple of weeks ago. I'd prefer to avoid shared hosting if possible, but getting our own box is super expensive (relative to what we're paying now). The upside would be that we'd have completely control over it, meaning, if we wanted to set up a second server it could run on the same machine at no extra cost.

Of the ones I looked at these seemed the most promising:
EOReality (a lot of comp servers seem to use them. They seem pretty decent.), League Servers and some other one that I can't seem to find now.
How annoying would it be to maintain a Paypal account for it? I know I'd be willing to give $5 or so a month.
Kuro said:
Edit: Dammit krillin, it doesn't matter. You need to make the spy work for that position! You're a comp medic, you SHOULD know better. Sure, you might not be able to kill him, but it's better than leaving him and letting him pop his DR and derpign up the rest of the team. You ALWAYS have to hunt them down. Either he'll slip up and you'll kill him, or he has to remove his disguise to fight, which should alert other players to join the fight. Leaving a spy behind lines when you know he's there is irresponsible to the team.
*sigh* Fine Kuro. I'll go back to being a Spy hunting machine. I just get tired of doing it as Medic so I'll run Pyro/Soldier more.

Yeef

Proven said:
How annoying would it be to maintain a Paypal account for it? I know I'd be willing to give $5 or so a month.
*sigh* Fine Kuro. I'll go back to being a Spy hunting machine. I just get tired of doing it as Medic so I'll run Pyro/Soldier more.
I'm not sure because I rarely use my own Paypal account. It shouldn't be too annoying though. It'd mainly depend on what sort of setup we decide to use. I found some (relatively) cheap dedicated servers here: http://www.ubiquityservers.com/overstock-deals

And a cheap GSP here: http://discountgameservers.com/index.php

The host we're using now only costs something like $24 a month, so that place is about the same and has a better reputation.

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
Well, you should know better than to ever uber me! I was merely an an observer of the game. Watching, controlling it!

I don't see you rating the kind of mate I'M contemplating. </obscure>
No worries, I learn quickly.

My uber will turn to you if I ever want to see how much a pyro can rock out using a mailbox when the map starts. :)

Was an epic battle between you and that medic while I was pocketing you by the way. He almost had you but you got him in the end!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
rar said:
kuro you ARE a scrub
Shaddap, pet! You're never on the server and don't have to deal with a team full of derps oblivious to the spies continuously sapping your tele! I also had ZERO help from others upgrading it as well.

Proven, I know YOU were spy checking, I was referring more to your opinion that people should not go after DR spies. They NEED to.

edit: Meta! I know you're lurking! Just know you led me to grab 2 more beers after that round on barnblitz! >:U

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:
No worries, I learn quickly.

My uber will turn to you if I ever want to see how much a pyro can rock out using a mailbox when the map starts. :)

Was an epic battle between you and that medic while I was pocketing you by the way. He almost had you but you got him in the end!
Honestly my framerate was horribly janky when I was trying to fight the medic, sorry about that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
It's 2 hits. First stuns, second kills. The second can kill even if they weren't stunned and the first can stun without killing (if they get knocked out of range).
Yeah I think he got pushed 'just' out of the range of the killing hit.

I remember I taunt killed as a medic once. The first thrust stunned them and pushed them behind a wall and the pull back just missed him for whatever reason.

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
Honestly my framerate was horribly janky when I was trying to fight the medic, sorry about that.
Don't worry about it, you got the kill after all... eventually ;)

It did teach me that I have been horribly underestimating the blutsauger, so it was more good than bad in the long run.

He was using the blutsauger, right? :p

Blizzard

Banned
Acerac said:
Don't worry about it, you got the kill after all... eventually ;)

It did teach me that I have been horribly underestimating the blutsauger, so it was more good than bad in the long run.

He was using the blutsauger, right? :p
Probably. If you're out in the open an a pyro is stupid enough to chase a medic, the medic should be able to kill with the healing needles running backwards faster than the pyro can run forwards (shotguns and/or gas jockey sets aside).

Acerac

Banned
You had him cornered almost the entire time. (Edit: sorry, I'll stop)

One of these days I'll get decent with that weapon. I'm hooked on the 3 health per second however.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So annoying how DR won't shimmer even if you know they are there. Follow a spy into a room, see the ammo pack vanish, get one good hit with my Melee weapon, then I can't find him to finish him off. Normal spies are already hard enough to deal with, but Dead Ringers can only be handled with a Pyro.

Sciz

Drkirby said:
So annoying how DR won't shimmer even if you know they are there. Follow a spy into a room, see the ammo pack vanish, get one good hit with my Melee weapon, then I can't find him to finish him off. Normal spies are already hard enough to deal with, but Dead Ringers can only be handled with a Pyro.
This is the primary reason why my sniper secondary will never be anything but jarate.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just really like the SMG, since it gives me a better fighting chance fighting people off close range. I'll change to Jarate if spys start becoming an issue though.

So how would you go about nerfing the Dead Ringer? Without making it totally useless that is.

I think the real problem is that it's just not fun to play Dedicated Spychecker. Even if you totally shut down the spy's antics, you never get adequately rewarded for it. The way I see it, if a spy gets double points for killing me, I should get extra points for taking him out/unmasking/decloaking him/homewrecking his sappers.

And yes: I realize that the whole team should be spychecking, but that's not always realistic given the way people tend to play.

Clydefrog

201107d.gif

I'm baaaack!

(in before "where'd you go?") got my new computer settled and ready

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you dropped the fact that you take a 90% reduction in damage for the 6.5 seconds after activation, I don't think it would be as bad. Maybe have the damage reduction decay, and maybe even turn into damage boost if the spy stayed cloaked long enough.

Chesskid1

Banned
sorry, i was the horrible, terrible, fucking idiot demoman man that kuro was talking about.

i only know how to play one class (medic) which i have 40+ hours on and i've gotten decent at.

there were already 2 medics on my team and they wouldn't switch so i forced myself to switch and went to demoman. i only have like 2 hours combined in the other classes and i had no idea what i was doing.

i just want to apologize to kuro madoushi for not helping him when his buildings were being sapped. i had no idea what i was doing, but if i knew i would of helped him.

i will try to play the other classes to learn them on newb servers and stick to medic or whatever other class i become proficient in when i'm on the GAFserver from now on.

best regards,

Chesskid1

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chesskid1 said:
sorry, i was the horrible, terrible, fucking idiot demoman man that kuro was talking about.

i only know how to play one class (medic) which i have 40+ hours on and i've gotten decent at.

there were already 2 medics on my team and they wouldn't switch so i forced myself to switch and went to demoman. i only have like 2 hours combined in the other classes and i had no idea what i was doing.

i just want to apologize to kuro madoushi for not helping him when his buildings were being sapped. i had no idea what i was doing, but if i knew i would of helped him.

i will try to play the other classes to learn them on newb servers and stick to medic or whatever other class i become proficient in when i'm on the GAFserver from now on.

best regards,

Chesskid1
3 medics would be great

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Drkirby said:
How many key did you use now?

The funny thing is, I bought 4 keys today to open motly sniper crates, hoping for a strange sniper rifle. I got the unusual, a villain's veil, a strange sydney sleeper and a strange shotgun. All in all, I'm guessing that I've opened around 25 crates.

Acerac

Banned
Aww... Chesskid don't be so damned hard on yourself! Everyone has to start somewhere, and you're a far braver soul than I am if you're willing to step in to demo territory as a new class on GAF. Granted it'll be a trial by fire, but a few hours on GAF with any class is worth twice that on some scrub Valve server.

That said, if you want an easy to play to ease yourself in to an offensive class, go soldier. They're great at clearing out sentries, have enough versatility to deal with most other classes, and have an awesome learning curve where you can steadily see improvement as you play.

Either that or you can be like me and go heavy. They don't need to aim or actually be good at the game, just point in the general direction of your opposition and they die. As a medic player myself I always love to have a heavy to heal (strangely I often see very few on JankyGAF, much to my chagrin) and if you're smart with your Sandvich you can pop out some excellent heals which makes medics love you.

Just remember to not give up just because some people get angry at a video game. Last time I did that it stopped me from playing my now favorite class in this game for over 100 hours of play. Quite the mistake, and I'd hate to see others fall in to the same trap.

Nabs

Chesskid1 said:

best regards,

Chesskid1

Fuck that. Play what you want.

Conceptor

Chesskid1 said:

best regards,

Chesskid1

Nabs said:
Fuck that. Play what you want.

Yeah! Everyone has to start somewhere! And like Acerac says, don't let the fact that you're playing on the GAF server deter you. I'm sure you'd learn more from the regulars on there than from a random on a Valve newbie server anyway (whether it's from tips and advice, or trial by fire, etc)

Top Bottom