• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Cloudius12 said:
I'm a pretty bad aim with scout scattergun, I was wondering what people have set for their mouse sensitivity when playing scout?
Low. Which is weird since I play sniper with high sensitivity, and manage very well, but with Scout I can't land anything.

Acerac

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Use Douche Ringer
Pop Douche Ringer
Profit

Wasn't even a ??? :(
There is no such thing! If you shoot a spy he dies from one hit no matter what. The class only has 1 HP, after all.

Hazaro said:
Aim is actually extremely important with soldier.
It took me a while to realize it, but it's true!

Less so than close range nade piping, but pretty good skill to have.
Hazaro
relies on auto-aim

!!!

In all seriousness, despite my self-depreciating post I'm actually starting to get decent aiming with a soldier. Granted, that's solely because it is one of the few classes I won't embarrass myself with on the GAF server, so it was pretty much a sink or swim scenario.

On the subjects of heavies and being overly slow, the GRU makes the class. As long as you know where the health packs are and can toss yourself a sandvich the main drawback to class is negated. Still my favorite class for cart pushing, I've pushed through entire maps without stopping before. Just make sure to fire behind yourself on occasion to watch for spies and walk randomly to avoid being easy pickings for snipers and you are a neverending bullet machine. Your lack of speed doesn't handicap you since you need to stay on the cart anyways, and due to the constant flow of ammo you never have to worry about gun spinup time.

Boonoo

Acerac said:
On the subjects of heavies and being overly slow, the GRU makes the class. As long as you know where the health packs are and can toss yourself a sandvich the main drawback to class is negated.
See, this is a bad thing. Classes should have weaknesses.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
See, this is a bad thing. Classes should have weaknesses.
But as discussed, wartime and neroh have no weaknesses besides scouts and Metaphorically. Explanation is that they're pocketed all the time. Solution: Valve should ban pockets -- tights and skirts only from now on!

Demoman's weaknesses are that classes that get up close and harass (Scouts and Pyros) can completely dominate unless the Demo thinsk quick, and that in a direct confrontation with other "heavy" combat classes (Soldier, Heavy) he's at a disadvantage once they get into closer range due to their easier to use weapons and higher health.

Boonoo

Acerac said:
If demos and soldiers don't need weaknesses neither do heavies. ;)
If we're looking just at mobility demo and soldier both have to sacrifice large amounts of life getting around the map quickly (and if you choose gunboats over the shotgun you're actually making a sacrifice for extra mobility giving up your shotgun on the soldier actually means something). There's also the fact that it takes some practice to actually reach that level of mobility. I'd say that the grand majority of players have no clue how to actually rocket/sticky jump effectively.

With all of the speed boosts given to the heavy they've made it a completely brain dead class. With the quick spin up times, ease of movement, self regen, you never have to make any decisions beyond where to point your gun.

Acerac

Banned
In all fairness, even with the GRU the heavy doesn't exactly move quickly, and when he is using them for increased speed he is vulnerable.

Though that does lead me to wonder why heavies aren't more prominent in competitive play considering how good everyone makes them sound.

Is it because scrubs can do well with the class more easily than any other? That seems like an iffy reason to nerf a class.

AcciDante

The weakness to the heavy, if we're not counting speed due to the GRU, is that it has no long range options. A sniper will make short work of a heavy, a soldier can whittle it down from a distance, and a good demo can even take care of them pretty quickly. Heavies are my favorite enemy when I'm using my huntsman :D

DarkKyo

Just about done! This is what it looks like in the shop.
4W8ki.jpg

For some reason it's still showing up darker in-game though so I'm going to ask polycount what is up with that...

qPF4g.jpg

Boonoo

Acerac said:
In all fairness, even with the GRU the heavy doesn't exactly move quickly, and when he is using them for increased speed he is vulnerable.

Though that does lead me to wonder why heavies aren't more prominent in competitive play considering how good everyone makes them sound.

Is it because scrubs can do well with the class more easily than any other? That seems like an iffy reason to nerf a class.
He moves faster with the GRU than demos and soldiers if they aren't jumping. And he isn't vulnerable because he can switch to the tomislav and start shooting in the blink of an eye.

And as far as being slightly weaker at range goes, it's a good thing he can 1) close the distance, and 2) that his weapons aren't very harshly penalized by damage dropoff, only a 50% cut.

They're not very prominent in comp play because 1) they're boring to play as and against, 2) they're not nearly as good as a soldier at protecting a medic, 3) they don't have the flanking and mobility capabilities of a good soldier, and the GRU and Sandvich are banned. You still see them pop up now and then, especially while defending the last point. You use them as a huge damage sink.

JackEtc

Dechaios said:
http://i.imgur.com/4W8ki.jpg[IMG]

For some reason it's still showing up darker in-game though so I'm going to ask polycount what is up with that...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qPF4g.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Bad. Ass.

Forkball

Demos certainly need a speed nerf. How can they be so fast with all that heavy armor and weaponry? Nothing frustrates me more than when I'm a Pyro, and I ignite a demo with the edge of my flames, yet he still has enough speed to completely avoid my axtinguisher/mailbox.

TheBez

Dechaios said:
4W8ki.jpg

qPF4g.jpg
Looking pretty good! My only complaint is when on red team how the hat has that red hue. Why is it not just black with red trim like the blue one is (with blue trim)?

DarkKyo

JackEtc said:
Bad. Ass.
Thank you!!! :D

If it ever got accepted I'd buy a bunch of them and gift some to you guys in this thread in celebration!

TheBez said:
Looking pretty good! My only complaint is when on red team how the hat has that red hue. Why is it not just black with red trim like the blue one is (with blue trim)?
vYfeN.gif

This is the color pallet for TF2 on the official contribute site. As you can see the dark color under blue is more "black" than the dark color under red. Since this is my first time I just literally followed along with this pallet and used the dark red.

Forkball said:
Demos certainly need a speed nerf. How can they be so fast with all that heavy armor and weaponry? Nothing frustrates me more than when I'm a Pyro, and I ignite a demo with the edge of my flames, yet he still has enough speed to completely avoid my axtinguisher/mailbox.

This is why I stopped playing Pyro pretty much.

Acerac

Banned
When you say a blink of the eye, you mean slower than any other attacking class other than perhaps sniper? :p

Ah, so the offending items are banned in competitive play. That makes a lot more sense than anything else I could have imagined.

I rarely have seen anyone competitive not use a class/character/strategy because it is slightly boring, but the fact that he's not as good as a soldier in the niche he'd be used for does make a lot of sense.

So why does the class as a whole need to be nerfed? Why not just nerf the items that are too good?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Obsessed said:
This is why I stopped playing Pyro pretty much.
Well I mean, the pyro is meant for close range combat only. You can't catch every fish. I guess this isn't much of a problem for me because I find myself sticking with my shotgun most of the gun. If I can't light a guy, I'll just airblast him above me and just lay him with a few shots.
Edit: Well if you're like Artistdude, you can just whip out your flaregun and kill a bunch of people with it.

Jangaroo said:
Well I mean, the pyro is meant for close range combat only. You can't catch every fish. I guess this isn't much of a problem for me because I find myself sticking with my shotgun most of the gun. If I can't light a guy, I'll just airblast him above me and just lay him with a few shots.
Edit: Well if you're like Artistdude, you can just whip out your flaregun and kill a bunch of people with it.

I can't aim to save my life though. Hence why I play Medic/Heavy/Spy where aiming isn't as crucial.

Hey GAF! Help me with my name/description tags for my Jumper's Jeepcap! I'm stuck trying to decide between a nuclear theme and an alien theme:

WWII NUCLEAR THEME-------------

Manhattan Antique
Manhattan Momento
Manhattan Keepsake
Manhattan Heirloom
Trinity Keepsake
Bainbridge's Gift
Leslie Groves' Keepsake

'Recovered at Alamogordo Army Airfield after the July 16, 1945 nuclear test.'

'Accidentally left on-site during the first nuclear test at Alamogordo, 7/16/1945.'

'Label inside the hat says, "July 1945, Alamogordo Army Airfield, Trinity Test."'

ALIEN ABDUCTION THEME-------------

Derelict Abduction Artifact
Abduction Artifact

'The only evidence recovered during an Alien abduction case in 1961.'

What say you, GAF? one of these?

TheBez

Dechaios said:
vYfeN.gif

This is the color pallet for TF2 on the official contribute site. As you can see the dark color under blue is more "black" than the dark color under red. Since this is my first time I just literally followed along with this pallet and used the dark red.
That makes sense then. Better to be safe with your color palette!

Boonoo

Acerac said:
When you say a blink of the eye, you mean slower than any other attacking class other than perhaps sniper? :p

Ah, so the offending items are banned in competitive play. That makes a lot more sense than anything else I could have imagined.

I rarely have seen anyone competitive not use a class/character/strategy because it is slightly boring, but the fact that he's not as good as a soldier in the niche he'd be used for does make a lot of sense.

So why does the class as a whole need to be nerfed? Why not just nerf the items that are too good?
I mean that with the Tomislav he can be firing before a scout has fired 2 shots. (Well, I suppose that's assuming the gun is out already). It's a really fast spin up time. And what I'm saying is that he should be vulnerable, incredibly vulnerable when he gets surprised because he's deadly when he has is death hose trained on you.

He's used for a specific task in comp TF2 just like snipers, spys, engies and pyros. It's just that his task is to be a giant speed bump. And a speed bump in a play style about mobility and going fast isn't any fun.

He just needs a lot of stuff nerfed so the game doesn't break everytime there's more than 2 heavies on a team.

All miniguns--increased spin up time, increased damage fall off at range
Natascha--delete it (there's no reason to have slowdown in the game).
Tomislav--decreased damage, decreased cone size.
Brass Beast--I actually like this one. It actually feels like you're playing a Heavy when you use it.

GRU--Maybe make it so you can't be healed or pick up health while in use
Sandvich--make it so you can't eat your own thrown sandvich, only heals 200 life when eaten.

XeroSauce

Jangaroo said:

It's my personal opinion that if you have good aim, the flare gun wrecks the shotgun. Fire is always something good to have, because it sets up a puff and sting or a crit flare. And you can provide harassment for your team while still being able to deal damage at longer ranges.

Plus crit flares have to be one of the most satisfying things in this game.

XeroSauce said:
It's my personal opinion that if you have good aim, the flare gun wrecks the shotgun. Fire is always something good to have, because it sets up a puff and sting or a crit flare. And you can provide harassment for your team while still being able to deal damage at longer ranges.

Amen.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scouts are so annoying.
I usually can land a nade on them, but they derp derp around with 10hp and kill me.

XeroSauce

Hazaro said:
Scouts are so annoying.
I usually can land a nade on them, but they derp derp around with 10hp and kill me.

That's what the Loch N' Load is for, baby.

-being a Scout, I do not condone such an annoying weapon, but you gotta do what you gotta do-

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
XeroSauce said:
That's what the Loch N' Load is for, baby.

-being a Scout, I do not condone such an annoying weapon, but you gotta do what you gotta do-
You should in most cases be in a safe area so scouts can't do this and you lose an absurd amount of area denial with it.
I'm not a big fan, but I haven't really used it seriously in any amount of time.

*Only 122-124 close range? Worthless if so.

Playing as a scout, I have to say that the Shortstop is the best thing that ever happened to me, especially against demos and pyros. The pleasure of running backward, shooting from safe distance a Pyro to death is immense. Even more if you milked it before and thus, healed for your kill.

God I love Milkman scout so much.

XeroSauce

Hazaro said:
You should in most cases be in a safe area so scouts can't do this and you lose an absurd amount of area denial with it.
I'm not a big fan, but I haven't really used it seriously in any amount of time.

*Only 122-124 close range? Worthless if so.

That's with damage spread off, it goes from 103-147 close range normally. Plus with it's increased speed it's that much easier to nail shots.

But you're right, the GL is usually better. You get some sweet kills with the LnL but it's not worth the loss of 2 full grenades.

Then again, it works pretty well with the Demoknight set-up, because a pill + Screen + Sword will kill an Overhealed Heavy.

I am complete ass at this game (and fuk spies, same dude kept killing me over and over ). Anyone got any general tips on how to help my framerate?this more a general PC question but im sure some ppl in this thread can help. I get to ~80 then drops to like ~15. I wont dare try gaf servers with 15fps, I wont try now anyway cause im ass, but id like to at least train a little with a steady 30...If thats possible

My PC is a turd but it should be able to run this id think..Canyourunit got me listed at recommended
win7
nvidia gtx8500+
amd dual core 2.10 ghz
2gB ram, im betting this what killing me

Ive killed everything i dont need running, set all settings to performance which helped a little...so any advice to get me a steady 30 would be awesome if thats possible

What the hell is it with disguised spy's sometimes? I literally put a whole clip into the guy and he doesn't go down. Instead, I had to use my wrench to take him out, leaving my turret and dispenser to blow up.

This happens quite often.

Boonoo

JackFrost said:
I am complete ass at this game (and fuk spies, same dude kept killing me over and over ). Anyone got any general tips on how to help my framerate?this more a general PC question but im sure some ppl in this thread can help. I get to ~80 then drops to like ~15. I wont dare try gaf servers with 15fps, I wont try now anyway cause im ass, but id like to at least train a little with a steady 30...If thats possible

My PC is a turd but it should be able to run this id think..Canyourunit got me listed at recommended
win7
nvidia gtx8500+
amd dual core 2.10 ghz

Ive killed everything i dont need running, set all settings to performance which helped a little...so any advice to get me a steady 30 would be awesome if thats possible

I'd say it's the CPU. TF2 is really CPU dependent.

You can try out one of the configs here. http://www.fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/

OMG Aero

XeroSauce said:

But then what do you do when you come across an enemy Pyro?

XeroSauce

OMG Aero said:
But then what do you do when you come across an enemy Pyro?

If I have my powerjack, that. But Pyros tend to be very airblast happy so I just lead them with fire while shooting flares.

If they have their shottie out, I get in close and burn. If they have their flamer out ,I backtrack while shooting flames. The physics of my flame particles hit him because he's walking into mine and his aren't going as far so I take basically no damage.

JackFrost said:

win7
nvidia gtx8500+
amd dual core 2.10 ghz

Chris FPS config

Edit: beaten

Sandboxie hates me for some reason. I have a second TF2 account and it's premium, but when I use Sandboxie with it, TF2 isn't installed. I copied over the steamapps folder for my username I'm idling with but it won't let me play. I also copied over the non foldered files in the Steam folder.

JackFrost said:
Thanks guys.

Works great. Im getting 30-60solid now.You can guess the price im paying. I dont mind though its fun so ty
There are some things you can enable without losing much performance.

-Hightlighted Cart
-Sprays
-Facial Expressions (this is a plus) really help tf2 when everyone dont look so souless.

brentech

Cloudius12 said:
There are some things you can enable without losing much performance.

-Hightlighted Cart
-Sprays
-Facial Expressions (this is a plus) really help tf2 when everyone dont look so souless.
Probably just missing it, was able to turn the facial express and sprays on, but not finding where cart highlight is?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Worth pointing out that the new OT has already outpaced the trading thread despite being up for like three days less.

You know...for like the two people who for some reason thought that removing trade talk would be the death of the thread :p

The_Technomancer said:
Worth pointing out that the new OT has already outpaced the trading thread despite being up for like three days less.

You know...for like the two people who for some reason thought that removing trade talk would be the death of the thread :p
yeah WHAT HE SAID

The_Technomancer said:

The first OT did well without the trading talk, as far I can see.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
He moves faster with the GRU than demos and soldiers if they aren't jumping. And he isn't vulnerable because he can switch to the tomislav and start shooting in the blink of an eye.

And as far as being slightly weaker at range goes, it's a good thing he can 1) close the distance, and 2) that his weapons aren't very harshly penalized by damage dropoff, only a 50% cut.

They're not very prominent in comp play because 1) they're boring to play as and against, 2) they're not nearly as good as a soldier at protecting a medic, 3) they don't have the flanking and mobility capabilities of a good soldier, and the GRU and Sandvich are banned. You still see them pop up now and then, especially while defending the last point. You use them as a huge damage sink.
So they're not prominent in competitive play because they're not good enough at certain things, because two items are banned that could help them be better? =P

Boonoo said:
I mean that with the Tomislav he can be firing before a scout has fired 2 shots. (Well, I suppose that's assuming the gun is out already). It's a really fast spin up time. And what I'm saying is that he should be vulnerable, incredibly vulnerable when he gets surprised because he's deadly when he has is death hose trained on you.

He's used for a specific task in comp TF2 just like snipers, spys, engies and pyros. It's just that his task is to be a giant speed bump. And a speed bump in a play style about mobility and going fast isn't any fun.

He just needs a lot of stuff nerfed so the game doesn't break everytime there's more than 2 heavies on a team.

All miniguns--increased spin up time, increased damage fall off at range
Natascha--delete it (there's no reason to have slowdown in the game).
Tomislav--decreased damage, decreased cone size.
Brass Beast--I actually like this one. It actually feels like you're playing a Heavy when you use it.

GRU--Maybe make it so you can't be healed or pick up health while in use
Sandvich--make it so you can't eat your own thrown sandvich, only heals 200 life when eaten.
You don't like slowdown because you like playing scouts and soldiers, classes that might be hurt by slowdown, correct? That sounds kind of self-serving. ;)

Have you even played heavy lately? They nerfed tomislav's spinup time quickly, for instance. And wasn't weapon falloff for natascha made heavier, which is now almost completly worse than all other options and yet you're still complaining about it? Let's be reasonable.

Kikarian

Dechaios said:
Thank you!!! :D

If it ever got accepted I'd buy a bunch of them and gift some to you guys in this thread in celebration!

vYfeN.gif

I'll base my TF2 off this colour pallet now. I didn't even know their was one. Dam!

moojito

Sgt.Pepper said:
The first OT did well without the trading talk, as far I can see.

Aye, I'm not surprised it's doing well or even better than it was. Sometimes in the old one you'd post a thought or experience of a game and it'd just be lost in a sea of "1XBILL'S CURLY PUBE FOR 2 REFINED PST" or whatever.

Also, I had an epic back stab spree on a payload map and completely forgot to press f6 after I died. Not cool! It would be nice if you could tell it to auto save a replay if you get more than x amount of kills (where x for me would be 1 and I'd consider that an achievement).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Also in Comp TF2 there is only one demoman allowed per team IIRC.

GAF server makes me realize how much more I need to work on Spy. I'm still trying to find the "best" loadout for my particular playstyle.

Top Bottom